• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Rumor: Natal To Cost $149, Bundled With Arcade For $299

robor

Hunahan said:
Very few of the people they are trying to attract here care about online. WiiSports isn't even an online game. Nor is WiiFit. Wii is a local console for local, social games. That's the bread and butter.

The whole post chain just reeks of ""I don't know how much you know about casual gamers (i'm an expert)"...... Get over yourself and your silly notions that xbox Live is the limitation that anyone is going to even think of. It's like reason #213 why this won't work. Let's focus on the big ticket items first.

Wave and Move will both flop because they are about 4 years too late. That party is over. It's shocking that they think they can still win this fight.

Better tech or no controller or whatever the fuck you try; it's all about as convincing as a new YouTube-clone or social networking website claiming they've unlocked the code.

The brand is simply too entrenched to be able to make any headway.

At this point I'm just waiting to see what Nintendo does next. I have a feeling that by the time Microsoft and Sony are finished positioning themselves to battle for a market that was captured years ago, Nintendo will already be on to something else and the catch-up cycle will have to start fresh anyways.

and BAM! there it is.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Was someone on the previous page making the argument that Natal will fail because you have to install a game to the 360 before you can play it, and casuals won't like that?

Vizion28

Banned
The big problem I see with Natal is the wide perception the console it is played on. The general public, I assume, sees the 360 as that console where you're a badass who shoots mofos and stuff. That's an image that has been reinforced for over 4 years. Now all of a sudden Microsoft wants the 360 to appeal to the family. They are either going to have to rebrand the 360 by just calling it Wave (or whatever the final name will be). Otherwise good luck to Microsoft with its marketing trying to convince families 360 is safe and family friendly.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, let's stop laughing at the stupidity of some people and get back to rumormongering.

Will this $299 bundle have the new Slim model or not? I'm working under the assumption that the Slim will be $300 with the Natal camera and a 250GB hard disk, and $400 with the Natal camera and a 500 GB hard disk.

If the hard disk can be swapped like the PS3's hard disk, I'll probably get the 250GB model and upgrade later.

twinturbo2 said:
Okay, let's stop laughing at the stupidity of some people and get back to rumormongering.

Will this $299 bundle have the new Slim model or not? I'm working under the assumption that the Slim will be $300 with the Natal camera and a 250GB hard disk, and $400 with the Natal camera and a 500 GB hard disk.

If the hard disk can be swapped like the PS3's hard disk, I'll probably get the 250GB model and upgrade later.
The slim 250 probably will probably be at $299 but when does everyone think it will be announced? No way do I see an E3 announcement unless it's coming out in July. Maybe a Gamescom announcement, ala Sony?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
pharmboy044 said:
The slim 250 probably will probably be at $299 but when does everyone think it will be announced? No way do I see an E3 announcement unless it's coming out in July. Maybe a Gamescom announcement, ala Sony?
As long as it's within the next month or two, it'll give me enough time to save up, assuming that the rumors of an October release date are accurate.

I just hope it has a PS3-style hard disk that I can swap with minimal effort. And built-in wireless networking, but knowing MS, I'm not getting my hopes up for the latter.

TheOddOne

charlequin said:
They are going to be in the same sized cases because they need to be shelved together with other games that come in DVD-style cases and retailers hate it when they have to juggle multiple case designs for the same product line. (I admit that upon considering it they could conceivably use different-colored cases as part of a branding strategy to showcase the Natal-specific games but there aren't a ton of options -- red, blue, green, white, and black are all off the table, so... what's left, and how are they going to associate that color with the Natal device?)

They are going to be shelved in the same section as the other games because stores shelve games based on what system they are for and these games are for the Xbox 360.

They are going to say "Xbox 360" on them because (again) they are games for the Xbox 360.

I really don't know why I am explaining these things.
Like I said before, THIS IS SPECULATION :lol

Let me quote your own lines:
charlequin said:
Again I would distinguish between actual "rumors" (i.e. things proffered by seemingly legitimate sources with some form of supposed truth backing them up) and "shit people on GAF make up speculative theories about to try to establish their prediction cred" on this one.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hunahan said:
Very few of the people they are trying to attract here care about online. WiiSports isn't even an online game. Nor is WiiFit. Wii is a local console for local, social games. That's the bread and butter.

The whole post chain just reeks of ""I don't know how much you know about casual gamers (i'm an expert)"...... Get over yourself and your silly notions that xbox Live is the limitation that anyone is going to even think of. It's like reason #213 why this won't work. Let's focus on the big ticket items first.

Wave and Move will both flop because they are about 4 years too late. That party is over. It's shocking that they think they can still win this fight.

Better tech or no controller or whatever the fuck you try; it's all about as convincing as a new YouTube-clone or social networking website claiming they've unlocked the code.

The brand is simply too entrenched to be able to make any headway.

At this point I'm just waiting to see what Nintendo does next. I have a feeling that by the time Microsoft and Sony are finished positioning themselves to battle for a market that was captured years ago, Nintendo will already be on to something else and the catch-up cycle will have to start fresh anyways.

I hadn't seen this post earlier. Well said.

I wonder what Nintendo's next thing will be if Wii Relax/VS bombs. The Vitality Sensor is already an attempt at doing something different from motion controls. At the same time, using a Wii game as the foundation for the next system would be dangerous (from a competition standpoint). I think the VS simply falls in the "blue ocean software to give new value to the Wii" category, and that the Wii 2's big features will be something else.

Regardless if Natal will grab some consumers or not, what will be just as interesting, if not more, is if MS will loose hardcore gamers on this shift to bring casuals into the pot.

I have always liked Xbox because it's demographic suited me. Males, from age 15-99! With this they are shifting focus... It might make me loose interest.

Reach, Gears 3 and Fable 3 are all nice enough offerings. But they are just sequels. And frankly, I don't think it's enough this year, for a hardcore gamer, who is looking for something interest, or a reason to believe that Microsoft are serious about 3-5 more years of 360!

This looks more like, the last time to release the heavy IPs on the old Xbox, and then having the development teams right after these games, shift focus to a new Xbox. At least according to the average life cycle of a console. I hope not though.

I'm just surprised, they don't have anything to counter some of the things PS3 is dishing out. Where is the 360 version of the last Guardian? They gotta come out with some new IPs now. this fall. this winter. Not just Natal stuff... That's probably cool, but I didn't buy a 360 to use motion control, and I don't think I will want to start now. We will see at E3, but I really don't think so...

Vigilant Walrus said:
Regardless if Natal will grab some consumers or not, what will be just as interesting, if not more, is if MS will loose hardcore gamers on this shift to bring casuals into the pot.

I have always liked Xbox because it's demographic suited me. Males, from age 15-99! With this they are shifting focus... It might make me loose interest.

Reach, Gears 3 and Fable 3 are all nice enough offerings. But they are just sequels. And frankly, I don't think it's enough this year, for a hardcore gamer, who is looking for something interest, or a reason to believe that Microsoft are serious about 3-5 more years of 360!

This looks more like, the last time to release the heavy IPs on the old Xbox, and then having the development teams right after these games, shift focus to a new Xbox. At least according to the average life cycle of a console. I hope not though.

I'm just surprised, they don't have anything to counter some of the things PS3 is dishing out. Where is the 360 version of the last Guardian? They gotta come out with some new IPs now. this fall. this winter. Not just Natal stuff... That's probably cool, but I didn't buy a 360 to use motion control, and I don't think I will want to start now. We will see at E3, but I really don't think so...

They just released Alan Wake, a big new IP for this year. And Natal will bring in some interesting new ideas that can be implemented across casual as well as hardcore game experiences. Natal is not just for the casual, there's some incredible potential in hardcore games using that device.

And yes, Sony has The Last Guardian, but they don't really offer any other new IP's this year, that we know of pre-e3. But then again, the same can be said for Microsoft and Nintendo. We know all three has something to show, and it's really not fair to judge either as a console thats doomed for the hardcore user until we have passed E3 and seen their roadmap for the next year.

Raide

Vigilant Walrus said:

If they go for the casual at the cost of "hardcore" gamers, then they deserve to loose. Somehow I don't think they are going to shun gamers by doing that. They will still be bringing the awesome hardcore games but at the same time bringing out more games to expand their market share.

I am looking forward to seeing what MS actually do with Natal/Wave.

El-Suave

Vigilant Walrus said:

How can they loose their core userbase? Thrid party support will continue to be strong and their first party efforts over the last two years have already been scaled back to what I would call a minimum - not many people complained.

Alx

Vigilant Walrus said:

Sony reached all audiences with the PS2, "hardcore" and casuals alike. Nobody complained.

TheOddOne

Vigilant Walrus said:

I'm sorry but complaining about sequals while the PS3 is getting sequal galore is just pointless.

gerg

TheOddOne said:

Let me quote your own lines:

This sceptical outlook is beyond useless. For example, let me make the claim that Natal will, in fact, come with a purple plushie unicorn with which the user interacts with the device. "But that would be ridiculous!" you claim. "Microsoft would never do something so stupid!"

But... that reply IS SPECULATION. :lol

Vigilant Walrus said:

I honestly can't see where you're coming from. This has undoubtedly been one of 360's best years. Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2, Splinter Cell, Fable 3 and a new Halo... how can that not satisfy a hardcore gamer? And that's without mentioning the insane amount of cross platform titles. Compared to last year, Microsoft has a lot more first party stuff to discuss; motion control or otherwise. Sony is just as much of a sequel-fest as Microsoft, aside from your one example which was announced over a year ago. If Microsoft has a new IP or two of their own, you won't be hearing about it for another 2 weeks, so why complain now?

TheOddOne

gerg said:
This sceptical outlook is beyond useless. For example, let me make the claim that Natal will, in fact, come with a purple plushie unicorn with which the user interacts with the device. "But that would be ridiculous!" you claim. "Microsoft would never do something so stupid!"

But... that reply IS SPECULATION. :lol
Well I never said I was right (and yes I'm speculating), but claiming 'thats how its gonna be' is pure BS. If he said 'its a possibility that it might be no difference to a Natal Game and a 360 game because of such and such' then I would say it possible, but claiming to be right while he even calls out people with "shit people on GAF make up speculative theories about to try to establish their prediction cred" pretty much damages anything he said (regarding the difference).

My biggest problem with his argument is that he's stating it as a fact, while everytime I reply that there will be some kind of difference between Natal games packaging and 'normal' 360 games. But everytime he comes back and says that thats not possible, consumers will never see the difference between the two. Thats like saying there will be no difference to the consumer between a Move game or a traditional game, so I'm stating as fact that consumers will be feeling ripped off.

Mr.Green

charlequin said:
Inasmuch as Microsoft and Sony think people will buy Natal/Move on their own so they can "pay for potential," they've got another think coming. Every add-on device in console history has lived and died on the strength of the game(s) you can buy it with.

That makes sense but here's a crazy thought: Maybe they could bundle the hardware with a killer app too.

Vigilant Walrus said:

Aside from TLG how is the PS3 not looking like a sequel box itself right now?

Linkified

Neuromancer said:
That post needs to be quoted then, stat :lol

Why include it when Mom and Pop will buy it for Natal and maybe a Natal game once a year. I can't see Mom and Pop playing Gears/Halo etc. only other franchises that could draw them in would be the RockBand/GH franchises. And they have their own unique controllers for it.

I could see them doinbg another series of Live Arcade Unplugged and thropw in a controller to mirror the whole Wii Play thing. But remember with Natal is the user input device.

Busty

Banned
Mr.Green said:
That makes sense but here's a crazy thought: Maybe they could bundle the hardware with a killer app too.

I hope that Rare deliver something really special for Natal/WAVE. At this point I still hope (perhaps foolishly) that they might have enough of the old magic left to make a killer app rather than just settle into some MOVE only shovelware studio.

TheOddOne said:
I'm sorry but complaining about sequals while the PS3 is getting sequal galore is just pointless.

Only the CELL processor has the power to deliver sequals.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chrange said:
Aside from it? It's a sequel too!

Sort of.

It's that time of the gen when most games aren't new original IPs. Just how it is. But in fairness, PS3 has had an unusually prolific period of original IPs lately. So far this year I think there's been 5 or so exclusive original games. That's sort of unusual though. It's kind of reasonable to expect that the source of most new IPs going forward from Sony and MS will be on the 'new platforms' like Move and Natal.

AFreak

Banned
gofreak said:
Sort of.

It's that time of the gen when most games aren't new original IPs. Just how it is. But in fairness, PS3 has had an unusually prolific period of original IPs lately. So far this year I think there's been 5 or so exclusive original games. That's sort of unusual though. It's kind of reasonable to expect that the source of most new IPs going forward from Sony and MS will be on the 'new platforms' like Move and Natal.

This freak beat you to the punch. What other new IPs have been released this year, though?

Oh yeah, forgot Heavy Rain. So, I'm counting 3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AFreak said:
This freak beat you to the punch. What other new IPs have been released this year, though?

Oh yeah, forgot Heavy Rain. So, I'm counting 3.

Heavy Rain, Last Rebellion, MAG, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Modnation. Think that's it (?)

White Knight Chronicles would make 6 actually.

AFreak

Banned
gofreak said:
Heavy Rain, Last Rebellion, MAG, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Modnation. Think that's it (?)

White Knight Chronicles would make 6 actually.

Oh yeah, I keep thinking WKC is an 09 title because it took so damn long for it to get to America.

gofreak said:

Actually, there are quite a few original titles being released on all consoles at the moment. In the last 5 months we had Alan Wake, Metro: 2033, Blood Bowl (a licensed game, but not really a sequel) and Risen on the 360, while the Wii had Sky Crawlers, Fragile Dreams, Rooms: The Main Building and Calling - plus an assortment of multiplatform games and downloadable releases on all services.

Like you said, with Move, Natal and even the Vitality Sensor, there will be plenty of new IPs coming to all consoles.

Mr.Green

1995_36_1304_derailment.jpg

szaromir

Banned
duk said:
I wonder if MS will do a massive 'relaunch' of the 360 with the slim this fall too. hmmm
Remember the deal they made about dashboard re-skin in 2008? Of course they'll relaunch the console with the new design and new control device. The question is whether it'll be enough to make it more popular.

TheOddOne said:

I didn't say that any of those things were rumors; I said they were obvious inference based on current facts that anyone who can rub two brain cells together can draw with (relative) certainty.

"YEAH BUT YOU CAN'T PROVE IT!!!" is a monumentally stupid response to inferences drawn based on facts. If you have a reason to believe any of my statements are anything less than extremely likely based on all the facts in evidence, provide the reason.

Mr.Green said:

Oh, it's certainly possible. If such software is revealed at E3 I certainly agree that it instantly becomes by far the most important factor determining Natal's level of success. It's just that without that, Natal will be dead in the water as a $150 device sold on "potential." And right now we have no hint that such software exists and no proof Microsoft has the ability to develop it so it's hard (again, not impossible, just difficult) to actually assume they'll turn up with one.

Mr.Green

charlequin said:
And right now we have no hint that such software exists and no proof Microsoft has the ability to develop it so it's hard (again, not impossible, just difficult) to actually assume they'll turn up with one.

How can you doubt the people that brought us Totem Ball?

TheOddOne

charlequin said:
I didn't say that any of those things were rumors; I said they were obvious inference based on current facts that anyone who can rub two brain cells together can draw with (relative) certainty.

"YEAH BUT YOU CAN'T PROVE IT!!!" is a monumentally stupid response to inferences drawn based on facts. If you have a reason to believe any of my statements are anything less than extremely likely based on all the facts in evidence, provide the reason.
Obvious = fact :lol

Both of us are just speculating.

I don't know how anybody can agree that there will be no difference between X360 and Natal labeled games. Look at Eyepet, it clearly stated you need a camera:

ps3-eye-pet.jpg

wtf is up with this thread? are wii motion plus games seperated? they'll just put something on the damn box that says wave required or whatever the fuck. this isnt 32x. werent there 360, ps2 and ps3 games that required hard drive or internet? were those seperated? MS isnt gonna split the base. they'll want people brought in to the fold by natal to buy non natal game too.

WasteLand Soldier said:
wtf is up with this thread? are wii motion plus games seperated? they'll just put something on the damn box that says wave required or whatever the fuck. this isnt 32x. werent there 360, ps2 and ps3 games that required hard drive or internet? were those seperated? MS isnt gonna split the base. they'll want people brought in to the fold by natal to buy non natal game too.

HOW CAN YOU KNOW THAT!!!!!

speculation

Mush

The question of whether Microsoft will still cater to the Hardcore audience has already been answered with the announcement of Gears 3. They could have taken the Socom 4 route that Sony has and integrate it with motion controls. Unless E3 shows us something different, I don't expect this to change. Microsoft is clearly attempting to separate the two audiences while Sony is trying to combine the Hardcore and Casual together. I fully expect Microsoft to win the war for second place in the motion control market.

SPECULATION AND ALL THAT JAZZ.

Can we please stop the sequel bitching? The reason we aren't talking about many new IPs is because the publishers usually sit on them and surprise us with them. We can't possibly predict something we know absolutely nothing about. Thus we end up talking about sequels in franchises we know about like Gears 3, Zelda Wii, and LittleBigPlanet 2. Modnation Racers and Alan Wake just came out too. Are some of you new to gaming? We have always gotten tons of sequels in this industry.

Mush said:
The question of whether Microsoft will still cater to the Hardcore audience has already been answered with the announcement of Gears 3. They could have taken the Socom 4 route that Sony has and integrate it with motion controls. Unless E3 shows us something different, I don't expect this to change. Microsoft is clearly attempting to separate the two audiences while Sony is trying to combine the Hardcore and Casual together. I fully expect Microsoft to win the war for second place in the motion control market.

SPECULATION AND ALL THAT JAZZ.

MS is doing the same thing with Fable 3 and Natal :p. Oh and SOCOM 4's motioncontroller support is completely optional as I'm sure Fable 3's is likely to be. Hell most of the motion controller exclusives so far from Sony look like casual garbage. I fully expect the same garbage from MS. I'm still curious as to what so many of you "core" gamers are expecting from these things besides a ton of Wii ports and a bunch of first party developed casual garbage. Sony and MS are not going to fragment or piss off their install base by requiring these add-ons in their big franchises like God of War and Halo.

Why would core gamers give a shit about second place in a "motion controller war" anyways? :lol It's not something we are going to take interest in. Let's get past all the PR BS these companies are spewing. The bottom line is that MS/Sony want some of Nintendo's Wii sports money. They are not going to appeal to that type of audience with Halo, God of War, or any other established franchise or traditional game core gamers care about. These companies know that, thus we will see a ton of casual games that require the add-ons. The only way I see these things affecting the core gamer is through the optional use of the peripherals in established franchises like SOCOM or Fable. Which is really nothing too new to us since PSEye and XB Vision were already doing the same thing on a smaller scale.

EDIT: Apologies for the double post BTW

Top Bottom