• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Educate Us About Where You Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

So this is a thread based on my own ignorance and an assumption that others are equally ignorant.

So just to put some criteria out there.

1. Give us your locale
2. What are you known for
3. Famous people

And so on. This is simply a thread to educate people about where you reside.

I am living in the DFW area. DFW stands for Dallas Fort Worth.

Two large cities in Northern Texas. Between Dallas Fort Worth is the city of Arlington. Dallas to Fort Worth is about 30 miles

Arlington is where the new Cowboys stadium is located. Locally known as the Death Star, and Jerryworld. The Texas Rangers also play in Arlington, and the best Six Flags in Texas is also in the region. Our hockey team is the Dallas Stars, formerly known as the Minnesota North Stars, and we won the Stanley Cup in 1999. Our NBA team is the Dallas Mavericks, and we won the Championship in 2011, behind German born Dirk Nowitzki. He recently became the 7th highest all time scorer in NBA history.

The best known colleges in the region are TCU and SMU. Texas Christian University is in Fort Worth. Southern Methodist University is near downtown Dallas. We also have UTA, University of Texas Arlington and North Texas which is just north of Dallas.

Dallas is best known for the television show Dallas. That or the Dallas Cowboys, it is hard to know how people perceive us.

We are also well known for being associated with the assassination of JFK.

Currently both George Bush Jr. and Ross Perot reside in Dallas.

The song Jeremy by Pearl Jam is based on an article Eddie Vedder read about a kid who commuted suicide in Richardson Texas, which is in the Dallas area.

Video games and video game companies are a big part of Dallas history.

3D Realms, ID, and Gearbox.

As far as decent musicians we are weak.
The Toadies, Pantera, St. Vincent, Spoon, never mind Spoon is Central Texas.

But do you like pop music? Or just simply people born around DFW?

Erykak Badu
Salena Gomez
Norah Jones
Demi Lovata
Steve Miller
Usher
Nick Jonas
LeAnn Rimes
Pat Green
John Denver
Jessica and Ashlee Simpson
Elliot Smith
Sly Stone
Ted Nugent
Taylor Hawkins
Kelly Clarkson
Lisa Loeb
Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughn

Actors....

Kate Capshaw
Larry Hagman
Bill Paxton
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Amy Acker
Jayne Mansfield
Meat Loaf
Morgan Fairchild
Steve Martin
Jerry Hall
Piper Perabo
Sharon Tate
Ginger Rogers
Angie Harmon
Owen and Luke Wilson
Tommy Lee Jones
Robin Wright

Other folks worthy of mention

LaMarcus Aldridge
Tex Avery
Ernie Banks
Chris Bosh
Bush Junior and Laura Bush
Doc Holliday
Michael Huffington
Michael Johnson
Bob Lily
Bonnie Parker
H Ross Perot
Ann Richards
Dennis Rodman
Aaron Spelling
Jordan Spieth
Matthew Stafford
Lee Trevino
Van Cliburn
Terrence Malick
Lee Harvey Oswald
Bob Schieffer

Major corporations based in DFW
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines
Radio Shack
AT&T
7-Eleven
Dave and Busters
ExxonMobil
Fossil of watch fame
Greyhound
Haggar
Hotels.com
La Madeline
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics
Match.com
MetroPCS
Neiman Marcus
Texas Instruments
JCPenney
Gamestop
Dr Pepper/ Snapple
Chili's
Frito-Lay
Half Price Books
Mary Kay
Pier 1 Imports
Six Flags

Bumhead

Banned
Sheffield, UK.

Famous for Stainless Steel and the birthplace of Association Football and Bassetts sweets. Host City of the World Snooker Championship and setting for the film The Full Monty.

Famous exports include Olympian Jessica Ennis, both Joe and Jarvis Cocker, the bands Def Leppard, Arctic Monkeys and The Human League, and the actor Sean Bean.

Aalborg, Denmark

Party, drugs and more party

The guy behind the Sydney Opera House grew up here, I think. Otherwise, nobody of note.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the northern district of Camden, London. Nobody really knows where it ends, from an administrative point of view. It's central part, Camden Town where I live, is widely known for its massive markets and colourful nightlife; pubs and music gigs everywhere

notable people, waves of them; from Chris Martin to Amy Winehouse to Alan Rusbridger to Tom Hiddleston to Damian Lewis to Christopher Lee to Madness to Jon Snow (the TV presenter, not the GOT character) to Currygan and it's not even close to being a complete list
most of these only live here btw lol

maxcriden

1. Vermont
2. Maple syrup, snow; sometimes a combination of the two
3. Ben, Jerry, Bernie Sanders, Phish, Phish Food

1) Hemel Hempstead, UK
2) Closed down stores, Poundland, the Buncefield Fire and the Magic Roundabout
3) None. We leech of the success that St.Albans has like Enter Shikari

1) Manhattan, New York City
2) Everything Manhattan is famous for...Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Broadway, United Nations, Fifth Avenue, Wall Street, etc.
3) Too many to count

lord quas

Leiden, the Netherlands. Probably best know for our university (oldest in our country) and thus a lot of scientific findings (Leyden Jar, ECG, Factor V Leiden etc.) and people who had a teaching position there; Lorentz, Einstein, Boerhaave, Einthoven etc. John Quincy Adams and Van Der Waals studied here, as well as most of our royal family and a shit load of other famous people. Paul Verhoeven too!!

Rembrandt was born here and Van Der Waals apparently too, can't think of any other people to be honest.

tchocky

1. Jarrow, Tyne and Wear, UK
2. The Jarrow march. A 300 mile march from Jarrow to London to protest unemployment during the great depression.
3. Writer Catherine Cookson, Athlete Steve Cram and the monk Bede. Wikipedia/Daily Telegraph also claim Patrick Stewart spent some of his childhood here but first I've heard of it.

obin_gam

1. Give us your locale
A small ttown in northern Sweden called Timrå [timroa]
About 10,000 people live here and while it is its own municipality it most often counts as a suburb to the larger city of Sundsvall.
Wikipedia had a good pic:
Timr%C3%A5_montage.jpg
That large factory smells to outsiders like shit, but when you've lived here for about 30 years you get use to the smell, and if it doesnt smell it doesnt feel like home :p

The hockey team Timrå IK Red Eagles.

3. Famous people
before zäta became...
he was our zäta:
WYQQ12R.jpg

Also Magdalena Forsberg, best biathlon champion in modern times comes from and still lives about 10 minutes from my parents home.

Giard

Gonna go with my hometown, which is less known than where I live now.

Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada

Town with a population of about 130k located between Quebec City and Montreal. We are known here for our pulp and paper industry (and the smell that it causes) and a bridge, the Pont Laviolette. A couple of centuries ago we forged iron for the French, and a small battle happened here during the American Revolutionary War (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trois-Rivi%C3%A8res). We also have a very high unemployment rate.

The most famous people from here are Maurice Duplessis, one of the worst leaders Quebec has ever had, Jean Béliveau, one of the greatest and classiest hockey players of all time, and the guy who is sadly known as Star Wars Kid.

The town where I live is too unremarkable so I'll discuss the closest 'city' and where I worked when I was younger.

1. Locale = Hershey

2. What are you known for = Chocolate and an amusement park (Hershey Park)

3. Famous People = Milton Hershey? Also, Ben Hogan lived here and was the pro at the golf course.

iewXnY5K5La3o.jpg

hwalker84

1. Pittsburgh, PA aka one of the most livable cities in the world and voted the most livable city in the continent of the US several times in the last few years.

2. The Pittsburgh Steelers, The Pittsburgh Penguins, The Pittsburgh Pirates. Terrible Towels, Pierogi's, Primanti Bros, too many to list just come visit.

3. Ming Na Wen, Julie Benz, Michael Keaton, Joe Manganelio, Zachary Quinto, Fred Rogers, Charles Bronson, Antoine Fuqua

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Pittsburgh

Tarkus

Dahlonega, GA

Site of first major gold rush - everything is about gold - festivals, nickname, tourist traps
Edit: Oh, and much of the film Deliverance was filmed here.

Zac Brown - Zac Brown Band
Amy Rae - Indigo Girls singer
John Bell - Widespread Panic singer
Dallas Kinney - Pulitzer Prize winning photographer
Sourshoes - greatest physician assistant known to man

MoodyFog

1. Paris, France
2. The eiffel tower?
3. Uhh, a lot. I imagine the most famous are authors (like Molière) and actors/actresses (Léa Seydoux, Marion Cotillard..)

Ramza

Banned
1) Houston, TX
2) Being one of the biggest cultural melting pots of the south
3) Beyonce, ZZ Top, Dennis Quaid, Patrick Swayze, Sean Patrick Flannery, Lyle Lovett, Dan Rather, Kenny Rogers

C4Lukins

The 1,2,3, was just there to require a basic expenditure of thought. I really want to know about the locale of people.

Like the twin cities for instance means something in the US, but for others maybe some sort of explanation is needed.

Use my OP as an example. This is all for fun, and give some information to us isolated ignorant ass holes.

1. The Commonwealth of The Bahamas
2. "Sun, sand, and sea" (our motto), tourist destination, Atlantis, etc
3. The Baha Men, Sidney Poitier, Lenny Kravitz

MiszMasz

Kent, England.
Home of Anglicanism, the White Cliffs and not trusting the French. Apples, hops, cherries and cobnuts.
Harry Hill, Nigel Farage and other assorted arseholes.

Camp Lo

Banned
The 1,2,3, was just there to require a basic expenditure of thought. I really want to know about the locale of people.

Like the twin cities for instance means something in the US, but for others maybe some sort of explanation is needed.

Use my OP as an example. This is all for fun, and give some information to us isolated ignorant ass holes.

Ah, like interesting facts: the thread

1. In 2010 over 54 million people visited Orlando for vacation or business, making it one of the largest tourist destinations on Earth.

2. If it weren’t for Walt Disney World most people around the world would have probably never even heard of the city of Orlando. However, it is interesting to note, that the Walt Disney World Resort actually lies about 18 miles outside of the Orlando city limits. In fact, some visitors might actually come to Orlando, and never actually enter the city itself!

3. The official nickname for the city of Orlando is "The City Beautiful." It is not uncommon to hear locals refer to Orlando as "O-town" and we won’t argue, that isn’t really the most creative name is it?

4. Orlando is home to the University of Central Florida (UCF), which is the second largest university in the entire United States in terms of enrollment, only behind Arizona State University. In 2011 the student body of UCF was made up of over 56,000 students.

5. Orlando was originally named Jernigan, after the first permanent settler in the area, Aaron Jernigan. After being removed from his military position against his will, it was deemed inappropriate for the city to continue to hold the name of an officer with a negative reputation. In 1857 the city was renamed "Orlando."

6. The actual origin of the name "Orlando" is not totally agreed upon. There are multiple possibilities for the origin, including tales of a soldier killed during the Second Seminole War and buried in what is now downtown Orlando or the city being named by a Shakespeare enthusiast who took the name from play "As You Like It."

7. There are over 2000 lakes in the Greater Orlando area.

8. Orlando’s Wet N’ Wild water park is the first water park in the world. It is also one of the few water parks that can stay open 365 days of the year!

9. There are over 5000 restaurants in the Greater Orlando area, with more opening up each week. If you ate at a different restaurant for every single meal for an entire year, it would still take you over five years to eat at every restaurant.

10. The Orlando area was originally the main hub of Florida’s citrus industry. After a disastrous freeze right before the 1900’s farmers began moving their citrus crops south. Many citrus farms remained in the Greater Orlando area for the next 75 years, but after the announcement of the construction of the Walt Disney World Resort many farmers quickly sold their land to development companies who were hungry to begin the expansion of the Orlando area.

11. The Greater Orlando area is home to 71 skyscrapers, the tallest of which is the SunTrust Center in downtown Orlando. It stands at 441 feet (134 meters).

Haha. My answers would be similar if I lived there, except a good WH can be really great so...I'd be there more.

I've never seen a good WH here. Now a Denny's, I'd go there all the time.

rower

Neo Member
Toruń, Poland
Beautiful medieval old town, Nicolaus Copernicus was born here.
I like my city :)

Slo

1) Rochester, MN

2) We're famous for the Mayo Clinic. Mayo Clinic IS Rochester, the town doesn't exist without it. It employs about 35% of the city, and the other 65% make their money building houses, selling insurance, and serving drinks to the employees of Mayo.

3) Couple mediocre professional athletes, Dr. Mayo, but nobody that'd blow your mind. Apparently Laura Ingles Wilder had a cup of coffee in a few towns around this area once.

Very well.

San Dimas is a suburban city on the eastern edge of LA County. Most of the buildings downtown are very old, with an almost Western (read: cowboys and stuff) look to them. Even a little west of downtown, most of the buildings, including chains like McDonald's and Taco Bell, have an old-fashioned look to them.

Fittingly, the city holds a short Western Days festival every October. You have artisans selling Wild West-themed paintings and sculptures, freshly-cooked food like grilled corn, and a parade.

Also, I understand that the city used to be where the cirtrus company Sunkist used to pack their products. As a result, there are a few Sunkist murals throughout the city.

Comparisons to Bill & Ted:

1. Almost none of the footage from the movie was shot here in San Dimas.

2. There is no San Dimas Mall. I don't even know where they'd manage to fit one.

3. There is a water park on the south side of the city called Raging Waters, not Waterloo. It's one of the most popular water parks in the state. The water park scene from the movie includes the few shots that actually were shot here in San Dimas, although I only remember one.

4. San Dimas High School portrayed as an indoor school in the movie, but the real school's hallways are all outside.

5. I dunno, any questions?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gothenburg, Sweden's second city.

Known for... Swedish west coast metal? Including bands like In Flames. Also Volvo.

waypoetic

Banned
Gothenburg, Sweden's second city.

Known for... Swedish west coast metal? Including bands like In Flames. Also Volvo.

Don't think we're known for metal music anymore dude. Metal isn't as "pop" as it was 5 years ago and if this city is known for anything it's these things:

Our fugly amusement park Liseberg.
slanggungan_vy484.jpg

The avenue Avenyn that mostly consists of bars, small clubs and restaurants that are expensive as fuck to eat at.
839e80037adc07e977c94def5d927a02.jpg

A football/soccer tournament; Gothia Cup

And the music festival Way Out West, aka The Yearly Hot People Gathering (?)
u0lRvEv2m3__RVhSaPfrrE1PNB4Pl8XhYaBSiG7sI8-620x350.jpg

Yup, i think that's it.

Acorn

1 . Paisley, Scotland
2. Paisley Pattern and having the most deprived area of Scotland in the town (Ferguslie Park)
3. Craig Ferguson, David Tennant, Gerard Butler and Paolo Nutini (who i went to school with) amongst others.

zeemumu

Southern California, just outside of LA. The best way to describe my area is to imagine a hub world. There's not much to do in a hub world, right? They're only there to give you some rest to set up for something else. This hub world sits in the perfect distance from everything fun in Southern California (Disneyland, downtown, Universal Studios, etc.)

The area that I'm in is mostly known for crime, but I live in the nice part and typically only go over to the bad part to get gas or for jury duty.

Famous people
tumblr_n4h4kyyVaL1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Mostly Snoop Lion

1. Belfast, Northern Ireland.
2. A huge wall across the middle of the city, some fighting, especially pathetic politicians, more fighting, the Titanic left from here (and sunk, yet we dumbasses brag about it nonetheless), racism, homophobia, Game of Thrones is filmed here, etc.
3. Arnold Rimmer, Merlin, Liam Neeson (to an extent), probably some others. Probably.

1.Give us your locale

I'm from a small city in Portugal called Lamego. We're something like 12,000 people and it's a pretty cold/hot place to be, depending on the season. Gorgeous views, peaceful but with not much to do.

I still love it. Just look how beautiful it is (sorry for the long post):

Wine and lots and lots of food. We're also known for our castle and sanctuary.

3. Famous people
No famous people that I've heard of.

CDV13

1)Mansfield, Ohio
2)Prison used for Shawshank Redemption and Wayne's Go DJ video.
3)A B-List celebrity and some UFC fighters.

Sheffield, UK.

Famous for Stainless Steel and the birthplace of Association Football and Bassetts sweets. Host City of the World Snooker Championship and setting for the film The Full Monty.

Famous exports include Olympian Jessica Ennis, both Joe and Jarvis Cocker, the bands Def Leppard, Arctic Monkeys and The Human League, and the actor Sean Bean.

I heard Shakespeare came from Sheffield?

Zona

Hicksville, NY
Umm.... we have a train station? Also good Indian food.
Billy Joel - He likes to say he's from Levittown but he's not. I can't really blame him mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom