• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Educate Us About Where You Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylver

Banned
Barcelona (Born, raised and maybe dead here XD)
As far as images are better than words:

1bpMW3Q.jpg

8ipDxSP.jpg

LZQMmqr.jpg

NaoAr8K.jpg

VHFOoVK.jpg

okgLfDf.jpg

pFoHUu5.jpg

smNTpb2.jpg

MlJob4r.jpg

D29qVwG.jpg

dvgQUq9.jpg

yKTkckw.jpg

GivnjEI.jpg

PErrqDB.jpg

siddhu33

1. Reading, UK (pronounced redding)
2. "Don't you mean reading? Like a book?" Being close to London whilst not being in London. Place where people go to settle down while working in London. Generally a decent place to live...
3. Kate Winslet, Natalie Dorner, Kate Middleton, Ricky Gervais, Mike Oldfield (tubular bells, or the theme from the Exorcist), and last and maybe least Jeremy Kyle (sorry about that UK GAF). Oh, and an Oscar Wilde was imprisoned here for a while, and Jane Austen supposedly visited somewhere nearby, but that was ages ago...

dbztrk

I'm from Brooklyn NY. White people moving here in droves and are driving up the price of every got damn thing. Uggh...

neoemonk

1. Rockford, MI
2. Churches. I think the population here is about 6000, and there must be 20-30 churches. Only one Catholic one as far as I know.
3. Ginger Zee from Good Morning America. I think an NFL player as well. Also on O Lineman at U of Michigan went to high school here. Dick York.

Minneapolis, MN USA
Lots of art, nightclubs, reading, bike paths
Many people here vote and volunteer
Famous bands: Husker Du, Replacements, Soul Aslyum

1. Christchurch, New Zealand

640px-Christchurch%2C_New_Zealand%2C_NASA_2.jpg

2a. Being the "most English city outside England".

christchurch-avon-punting.jpg

2b. Earthquakes

247644d1337761228-injured-alfa-page-smith-city-carpark-1.jpg

3. Shit, umm.. apparently Ernest Rutherford and Sam Neill studied here. That's all I got.

ATF487

1. Largo, Florida
2. We have some pretty hilarious news stories
3. Dexter McCluster is the only person I recall being from Largo

What's Largo like as a town? My company's got an office down there and I'm talking to those people pretty often, might get to go down there sometime this year.

1. Newton, MA
2. It's mostly known as a very nice town right outside Boston. The median household income is 111k :(
3. Louis CK, Amy Poehler, Jonathan Katz, BJ Novak, John Krasinski, Robert Morse, John Slattery, and others have lived here at some point. If you watched that episode of Louie where he goes and visits his father then you have probably seen some of Newton.

Where I grew up was a smaller suburb farther outside of the city that John Kerry lived in for awhile. There was also this christmas light display that was pretty crazy, I remember Al Roker coming and visiting it when I was in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgciiTXdmug

-Eddman-

1. Give us your locale
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. Second largest city in Mexico, second largest GDP in the country with 4 million + people, very nice weather.

Hey, a fellow tapatío Gaffer, bienvenido!

I guess I'll expand a little bit more on Guadalajara:

Famous for being the birthplace of Tequila (well, not exactly Guadalajara, but the state, where Tequila, the town, is located), tortas ahogadas, mariachi, charros (mexican cowboys) and most of other mexican stereotypes. We have one of the most famous football teams in the country, Chivas. Nine Inch Nails did their "We're in this together" video in our downtown and one of its most famous buildings, the Hospicio Cabañas, was used as the T. Hawk stage in Super Street Fighter II.
oPeOwqZ.png

Famous people: the most famous ranchero singer ever, Vicente Fernandez, Golf player Lorena Ochoa, Miss Universe 2010 Ximena Navarrete, muralist José Clemente Orozco, Carlos Santana (kind of, he's from Autlán, a small town located a few Km from Guadalajara).

JordanN

Banned
1. Brampton, Canada
2. Honestly? Nothing today. The only thing really special about Brampton is that it's super close to Toronto.
3. Michael Cera and Russell Peters

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Camden town GAF represent!
Where about in Camden you from? I'm actually right off the high St.
Camden is well known for it's markets and Alt. Scene, especially music and has some famous music venues where many big stars perform.

Camden borough also is home to the British Museum with famous artifacts
that the British stole lol.
The Rosetta Stone is there.
Also Camden has some of the nicest green spaces in London and many A list celebrity's have homes here.

Camden is mostly known for buying weed pariphinallia.

Eversholt St here! How's the noise at night? haha

Kevyt

1. Give us your locale: Washington DC

2. What are you known for: US Capital, Congress, lots of controversies and a lot of things I won't even go into... >.> yeah... I:

3. Famous people : President Obama and the other past US presidents.

But on the bright side, from all the negativity that Washington DC seems to get (mostly because of politics) there are lot of historical figures, events, and civil rights movements in DC

Such as Martin Luther King JR's I have a Dream Speech

DC has a very rich history, I love this city. <3

I'm living two places currently.

First, my hometown.

1.) Alden, NY
2.) We used to be known for black water baths back in the 1890s, for their "healing powers".
3.) The only person who wasn't a politician to come from Alden is country singer Doreen Taylor.

Fun fact: We are the current place that Mark David Chapman (the guy who killed John Lennon) is being held. I pass by him whenever I drive to college.

Second place, where I'm currently attending college. (I live on campus during the semester)

1.) Amherst, NY
2.) We've been ranked the safest city in America 8 years since 1996. Other than that, it's pretty much a suburb of Buffalo full of college kids.
3.) Pretty much just people associated with the NFL. I'm not big on sports, so I don't keep track.

catmincer

1. Give us your locale: Auckland New Zealand
2. What are you known for: Uh high house prices?
3. Famous people: Lucy Lawless, Lorde, Uh that's it?

Sch1sm

1. Scarborough, Ontario. Another suburb of Toronto, well look at that.
  2. It's a pretty diverse area. I mean, one side of Markham Rd is perceived as "ghetto," "drug filled," "gang overwhelmed," and the like, while another is entirely quiet. All in all, the general perception of the area when I speak about it to friends from other places is negative. For example, during finals week when I was in 9th grade someone decided it'd be a good idea to set the main office and guidance office on fire. It only gets progressively worse over the years.
  3. For music? One would be The Weeknd. If you do look at him, listen to the remaster of the 3 EP's he put out in 2011 called "Trilogy." Pretty much the best of what he's put out in the years he's blown up. Acting? Jim Carrey.

starblade

St. Petersburg, FL

Tampa's little brother. Home Shopping Network is based here. Tampa Bay Rays play here (for now).

Angela Bassett is from here.

TheDanger

Banned
1. Austria (Tyrol)
2. Mountains, skiing and Schnitzel
3. I'm gonna go with all of Austria:
Mozart, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Christoph Waltz and sadly Adolf Hitler.

Anjelus_

1. Madison, Wisconsin

2. Having five lakes around the city, the Isthmus, Bucky Badger, being liberal as hell, occupied state capital in 2011, etc

3. Chris Farley is from here and is buried here

Osahi

1. Ghent, Belgium
2. The Gentse Feesten (second largest cultural event in Europe), Gentse Waterzooi (fish or chicken stew), Gentse neuzen (sticky, sticky purple sweets in the form of a cone), our rebellic nature and medieval center
3. Maurice Maeterlinck. Belgiums only nobel price winner might be the only one known internationally

lupinko

Nerima, Japan

Known for... being a nice family neighborhood? I'm honestly not too sure. I know some famous anime has taken place here, like Digimon.

Famous people: I'm really not too sure about this one.

Oh you live there? I have good friends that live there. Most of the anime studios are there, and in fact Osamu Tezuka's original Astro Boy office was there, it's now a steakhouse owned and ran by good friends of my friends.

I live in Sendai, Japan.

It's known for Gyutan (cow tongue steak basically) and many other delicacies, its Tanabata festival is most unique in all of Japan, it's a nice place to live but gets hella cold in the winter. It also has the beautiful Matsushima and its little islands. Sendai like the rest of the Tohoku region was most affected by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. In fact for a bunch of the schools I teach at they were victims of said environmental disaster.

I don't know too many famous people from Sendai but I do know Hirohiko Araki is from Sendai as is the gold medalist figure skater Hanyu Yuzuru who beat out Patrick Chan in Sochi. Oh right and that guy Date Masamune, he only literally built Sendai on his own.

Today he is comemorated as Musubimaru, the prefecture mascot and Date Masamune reincarnated as an onigiri man.

Apt101

1. Hampton Roads, Virginia (Norfolk, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Newport News - a collection of smallish-to-medium sized cities within short travel distance of each other). I am currently in Virginia Beach

2. The Old Dominion as it were, the first landing in the New World, seat of liberty, the pilgrims and Indians and all that. In modern times our massive military infrastructure, stable economy, nice landscapes, The Chesapeake Bay (which I adore), and one of the shittiest beaches millions flock to each year because they don't know any better

3. Man, where to start. John Smith and Pocahontas. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. Patrick Henry. Robert E. Lee. Many entertainers. Dozens of other prominent historical figures.

Hjod

Banned
Sweden, Karlskrona.

Kinda small city, not known for something outside of Sweden. The city was built 1680 because the King Karl XI wanted a good location for the Swedish fleet, we still have a naval base here in Karlskrona with quite a large Naval prescence.

Other than that it's a small city with about 35,000 inhabitants. No famous people known outside of Sweden.

Here's a good video showing the city.

http://youtu.be/059PRzUJnlA

What's Largo like as a town? My company's got an office down there and I'm talking to those people pretty often, might get to go down there sometime this year.

It's not too far outside Pinellas Park and Saint Petersburg, which aren't too far away from Tampa. It's probably the smallest of those four towns, but has a decent size. Probably some 70,000 people or so. It's mostly all urban, there's a nice park. Pretty cool place, but there are some horrible, horrible people.

It has the weirdest boarders as you can see here.

Urban Dictionary certainly has there own beliefs of Largo as seen here.

A lot of that is going a bit over the top, but there are indeed a ton of trailer homes for some reason.

Magwik

Banned
1. Metro Detroit
2. Cars and factories I suppose
3. Eminem, Tim Allen, Jerry Bruckheimer, Alice Cooper, Jeff Daniels, Madonna, Sam Raimi

I live in North Hollywood, CA which is a neighborhood of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. I'm typing this from a Subway in said town, so I can't be bothered to post any nice pictures. I've lived here for about three years, but I've been told that until about ten years ago this area was just a shit hole full of furniture stores. The area is called North Hollywood, despite being seperated from Hollywood by Studio City, because an enterprising fellow in 1927 decided to change the name of the town from Lankershim (which is still the name of a major street in the neighborhood) to attract aspiring entertainers who didn't know any better. It is populated by an interesting blend of entertainers who have moved here from all over the world and locals, mostly working class Hispanics, who are slowly being pushed out of the "arts district" area into areas further north in the valley. And yes, "the valley" refers to the area that the valley girl stereotype originated from, although white folk largely abandoned this area of the valley in the late 60's, trending toward more suburban areas of the valley (the valley is bigger than most entire cities) like Winnetka and Calabasas.

I'm sure tons of famous people are within a 10- mile radius so I won't bother naming them all. There is a park dedicated to Amelia Earhart because she grew up here.

The red line metro station in noho (a colloquial nickname for north Hollywood) will take you to Hollywood in 8 minutes or downtown LA in 25 minutes.

Should you ever find yourself in the area and wanting to take in some nightlife, there is an ever-expanding selection of bars hovering around the focal point of the magnolia/lankershim intersection. Favorites of mine include The Federal and The Brickyard.

Axial

Toru&#324;, Poland
Beautiful medieval old town, Nicolaus Copernicus was born here.
I like my city :)
High five, I live here too!
The old town looks exceptionally beautiful from the opposite bank of the Vistula river. Amazing buildings made of burnt bricks look fantastically both during the day and at night. It is a gem of Gothic architecture in Poland.
tor1qqsc1.jpg

panorama-z-punktuuds90.jpg

panorama-z-mostuvps4u.jpg

Chico,CA will be getting a Buffalo Wild Wings in the near future. It's going to be awesome.

Also: Jackson Pollack and Aaron Rodgers was here. Smallish city town with not enough jobs to go around and the local university gave it a notoriety for being party oriented in the past.

Mute importantly: we are getting a Buffalo Wild Wings!!!

maxcriden

I don't get it. What do these things have to do with Orlando? (I've lived here since '94)

For me, Orlando is a nexus of fast food. I'm not a fast food connoisseur per se but I do appreciate its strange complexities of flavor. The ORL is a good place to get acquainted with some of the fast food world's odder establishments.

Dishwalla

Banned
1. Hampton Roads, Virginia (Norfolk, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Newport News - a collection of smallish-to-medium sized cities within short travel distance of each other). I am currently in Virginia Beach

2. The Old Dominion as it were, the first landing in the New World, seat of liberty, the pilgrims and Indians and all that. In modern times our massive military infrastructure, stable economy, nice landscapes, The Chesapeake Bay (which I adore), and one of the shittiest beaches millions flock to each year because they don't know any better

3. Man, where to start. John Smith and Pocahontas. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. Patrick Henry. Robert E. Lee. Many entertainers. Dozens of other prominent historical figures.

This right here, except I live in the Ghent area of Norfolk.

NewGame

Banned
The Central Coast of Australia.

This place is a retirement village and a tourist trap. Most people here are very mundane.

Worlds most beautiful beaches. No lie. Swim in them all the time.

Philippo

1. Venice, Italy. Located in the lagoon of the Veneto region (North-East), this ensemble of small islands became house for the refuges from the barbaric invasions during the Late Roman period. Since then, thanks to its strategic location in the Adriatic Sea, it became the stronghold of maritime commerce in all of Mediterranean Sea, and one of the most culturally advanced cities in Europe for centuries.

2. To start, it's one of the most famous and visited cities in the world. It's one of, if not THE, Reinassance's cradle, and you can see it in each step you take, since its buildings have mostly been kept the same. You literally pass through the same streets, over the same bridges the citizens did 1000 years ago. It is filled with churches, museums, historical buildings to the rim, all made by the finest artists and architects of their times. Because of its impractical structure, there are no cars and no streets, instead channels (?) and boats as means of public transportation. Also, in maximum 30min., you can reach the various other isles of the lagoon, like Lido (and its shores), Murano (famous for its glass working techniques and vividly coloured houses) and Jesolo (a famous summer location). No need to say it's one of the most romantic cities in the world, and, like all of Italy, you can find excellent food around every corner.
Famous works set in Venice includes "The Merchant of Venice" (Shakespeare) and "Death in Venice" (Thomas Mann).

3. Famous citizens:
-Carlo Goldoni (Commedian)
-Marco Polo (Explorer)
-Tiziano (Painter)
-Giorgione (Painter)
-Canova (Sculptor)
-Antonio Vivaldi (Composer)

Dai101

Banned
1- Guadalajara

2- Tortas ahogadas, mariachi, El Rebaño Sagrado, TEQUILA! also for being the San Francisco of Mexico but not for rights for the LGBT folks, all the contrary.

3- Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom