• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Educate Us About Where You Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laekon

1. Venice, Italy. Located in the lagoon of the Veneto region (North-East), this ensemble of small islands became house for the refuges from the barbaric invasions during the Late Roman period. Since then, thanks to its strategic location in the Adriatic Sea, it became the stronghold of maritime commerce in all of Mediterranean Sea, and one of the most culturally advanced cities in Europe for centuries.

Can a regular person actually live in Venice or is it all just rich people? Like if you're a waiter at a nice restaurant can you afford an apartment in the city or are you living in Mestre or even farther away?

Your forgot the other part of the OC
9319326_1280x720.jpg

CLEEK

Melbourne, Australia.

Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia, located in the South East coast in the state of Victoria. Geographically, South of the city is Port Philip Bay, which feeds into the Bass Straight which separates mainland Australia and Tasmania. An hour West leads to the Great Ocean Road , which winds along the coastline towards Adelaide. An hour East takes you to the Dandenong Ranges with its rainforests and wildlife. The surrounding countryside is green and lush for most of the year, with lots of vineyards and farmland.

The city itself regularly tops various lists of the most liveable cities in the world. It's the financial capital of Australia, with the Stock Exchange and many banking, insurance and financial organisations based here. Which is one of the main reason's it one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, one place below Sydney in the most recent list. It's famed for its food and coffee, and is known as the Cultural capital of Australia (which isn't hard to see why when you go to most other places in Aus). It hosts many sporting events, and it the home of AFL (Aussie Rules Football) with 9 of the 18 top level teams being based in the city. It has a large sports arena Precinct which includes the MCG . It's where the Australia Open tennis is held each year. Just south of the CBD is Albert Park which is where the Australian F1 GP is held every March.

Melbourne has a seasonal climate, dropping to single figures in winter, and as high as mid-40C in the summer (it was 41C a couple of days ago, ffs). Internationally famous folks are the likes of Kyle Manogue, Erin Bana, AC/DC, and Steve Irwin was born here.

I'm from the UK, but moved to Melbourne in 2002 and have stayed here ever since. I love the living fuck out of this city, and will live out the rest of my days here.

Mask

Marlow, Buckinghamshire, UK.

Famous for being relatively nice, if you like expensive clothes shops, multiple coffee shops and a gold Postbox. Also full of posh people who
all moved here after the olympics, and all have an unwarranted sense of self-importance and look down at everyone else.

Steve Redgrave, a Gold Postbox and Ricky Gervais walks around the town sometimes. Also Phil Mitchell lives somewhere here.

The epitome of nice scenery, bugger all to do.

wtftrauma

Neo Member
1. Footscray, Victoria, Australia

2. Located 6km from Melbourne. A very diverse multicultural area. Originally a Greek/Italian area, it now includes Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan, East Africans etc. Less than 50% of the population was born in Australia.

The suburb of Footscray has over 130 restaurants and pubs (not bad for a population of 14,000!). Love the place, cheap food and markets representing cultures from everywhere in the world.

As more and more hipsters move in, what makes Footscray so good is slowly changing.

3. Famous as the location of the movie Romper Stomper starring Russell Crowe. Footscray still has a reputation as a crime and drugs area. Although the crime rate is actually no worse than many other inner city suburbs now.

Footscray Festival
lunarnyfest.jpg

Lots of nice parks around as well
footscray-park-_-_path_400_300.jpg

Dai101

Banned
Wow, those tortas look amazing. So it's like a wet burrito, but with a torta, essentially?

Not exactly a burrito. Those are prepared with a large flour tortilla and tortas are a bolillo (birote) filled with carnitas and dipped (full of half drown) on a salsa, the real kicker here is that if the salsa is no good the whole sandwich/torta falls flat and is inedible (true for all tapatios, your salsa is no good? Get the fuck outta here)

Here's the basic recipe for the salsa:

jitomate/tomato
agua/water
cebollas/onion
ajo/garlic
orégano or mejorana
Sal(t)

You boil everything and blend.

For the salsa picosa just add:

de chile de árbol
vinagre blanco/white vinegar
Sal(t)

Also you can exchange the carnitas for other stuff like shrimp or fish. Those are popular here in Lent times.

Oh, and never, EVER forget the lime (limon) nor the pickled onion rings.

DAzWkH6.jpg

1.Give us your locale

I'm from a small city in Portugal called Lamego. We're something like 12,000 people and it's a pretty cold/hot place to be, depending on the season. Gorgeous views, peaceful but with not much to do.

I still love it. Just look how beautiful it is (sorry for the long post):

2. What are you known for
Wine and lots and lots of food. We're also known for our castle and sanctuary.

3. Famous people
No famous people that I've heard of.

I knew Lamego! Beautiful little place. My gf is from Espinho.

I am from a small town called Horley in the UK, right next to Gatwick Airport. I think it's famous fordame Judy Dench and The Cure.

I live in Clapham in London now. It's ok, but the rent here is insane.

NachtTod

Neo Member
1. Stockholm, Sweden.
2. Look up Stockholm syndrome 1973.
3. Carl Michael bellman, Dismember, Entombed and Abba.

maxcriden

Not exactly a burrito. Those are prepared with a large flour tortilla and tortas are a bolillo (birote) filled with carnitas and dipped (full of half drown) on a salsa, the real kicker here is that if the salsa is no good the whole sandwich/torta falls flat and is inedible (true for all tapatios, your salsa is no good? Get the fuck outta here)

Here's the basic recipe for the salsa:

jitomate/tomato
agua/water
cebollas/onion
ajo/garlic
orégano or mejorana
Sal(t)

You boil everything and blend.

For the salsa picosa just add:

de chile de árbol
vinagre blanco/white vinegar
Sal(t)

Also you can exchange the carnitas for other stuff like shrimp or fish. Those are popular here in Lent times.

Oh, and never, EVER forget the lime (limon) nor the pickled onion rings.

DAzWkH6.jpg

Sounds really tasty, thanks man. I was a bit unclear BTW, I just meant it's the wet burrito equivalent of a torta. There's a similar dish in the US which is with a burrito instead of a torta. :)

Philippo

Can a regular person actually live in Venice or is it all just rich people? Like if you're a waiter at a nice restaurant can you afford an apartment in the city or are you living in Mestre or even farther away?

I come from Milan, and i must say rents are actually higher there.
For example i live in a one room+bathroom+kitchen corner by myself, and it costs me 300€ (roughly 400€ with all the bills), and it is in the historical centre (so not Mestre), 5mi. from San Marco's Square. To get something on the same prize in Milano, you'd probably have to take a room in a "worse" zone, definitely not in the same position (the centre).
Groceries and everyday life aren't that much higher than mainland, actually since i'm not too picky on food brands i go to a lesser known shop that makes me save a lot.
You just need to know the right places where to go.

Idk about living here as a waiter, i'm a stuent, but i think that with some meticolous research before moving here, you could definitely live with 700+€.

For the jobs themselves, since my scholarship's moneys are running out, so i'll have to look out for one in the coming months, and for me, who lacks any job experience, it seems like it'll be a hard search.

Arjen

Leeuwarden, Friesland, The Netherlands.

Known for.

Adorable flag.
vlag-provincie-frieslz3uo0.jpg

Pole jumping.
bdm-20100724-0251-fief7uns.jpg

Ice skating
elfstedentocht46eu0p.jpg

Famous people.

M.Escher.
escher-waterfall-medi8fubm.jpg

Mata Hari.
250px-mata_hari_10o1unq.jpg

Doutzen Kroes.
doutzenkroes21mu6n.jpg

STC aka St. Charles, Il.

35 miles west of Chicago, about 30k peoples, there's a tiny river here, and a dead mall with dozens of empty stores.

Mike Nelson from Mst3k is from the STC, and Alec Baldwin ate at a Chinese place in town once. It's true, I saw him!

TheDanger

Banned
1. Orange County
2. Rich people and pretty beaches. We also had a TV show I think.
3. Kobe Bryant lives here? Also probably a whole bunch of multimillionaires / billionaires.

But honestly, OC is like, we're rich, bitch.

[IlMG]http://www.55places.com/images/website/best-beaches-in-california.jpg[/IMG]

so you're rich?

Ormskirk UK (Just outside of liverpool)

Famous for:

Famous people:

i fucking hate my life

I'm from Kirkby, which is kind of inbetween Ormskirk and Liverpool.

This is pretty much how it looked when I was a child:

A lovely place.

Famous people include Stephen Graham (Al Capone from Boardwalk Empire). He and his family were beaten up when he went back there once, presumably for becoming successful, such are the attitudes of some people from there. The character he plays in 'This Is England' is a scarily accurate portrayal of that type of person.

excowboy

1) Worcester, England
2) Overheard on a bus:
Child: 'Mum, am we going to Grandma's house now?'
Mother: 'Darren! For fucks sake! It ain't "am we" its "is we"!
3) Edward Elgar, Jon Snow (Kit Harrington), Rik Mayall

A lovely place.

Famous people include Stephen Graham (Al Capone from Boardwalk Empire). He and his family were beaten up when he went back there once, presumably for becoming successful, such are the attitudes of some people from there. The character he plays in 'This Is England' is a scarily accurate portrayal of that type of person.

Ahhh, i used to live down your end for a few months.

Did you know: The Governor from The Walking Dead is from liverpool too.

1. Grand Forks, North Dakota

2. Grand Forks is known for three things.
  • Being extremely cold (Apparently 2nd coldest in the US.)
  • flooding
  • University of North Dakota. UND has the best aviation school in the country and has people coming from all over the US, from Canada, and from other countries to learn from the instructors here. I would say ~50% of all students here come for aviation but then a large chunk end up switching to a different major. UND also has the best hockey team in the state of North Dakota, and is a regional staple when it comes to college hockey.

3. List of famous people., topped by rich guy Ralph Engelstad, and famous hockey players like Zach Parise and Jonathan Toews played here for college, among many others.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Karachi, Pakistan.

Contrary to what western media shows, no we do not ride camels or wear turbans here. Karachi is in-fact the most well-developed city in Pakistan, practically the hub of all revenue, since the biggest docking, exporting business takes place here.

Also, the place is pretty beautiful when not going through prolonged stretches of traffic jams. That is about the biggest concern I can think of, that the roads could be a few lanes wider.

WWs6WWw.jpg

8zis8ap.jpg

Sj4Tfu6.jpg

DopeToast

Banned
Dayton, Ohio

1. A pretty typical mid-size midwestern city that has had to deal with post-WWII "white flight" issues. The suburbs have grown considerably and consistently for the last sixty or so years.

2. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is a big employer, and there are a lot of military families here. People take pride in the Wright Brothers being from and working in Dayton on their first flying machine. North Carolina's claim to be "First in Flight" is laughed at, as we call ourselves the "Birthplace of Aviation." Either way the brothers had a big effect on the area.

3. College basketball is pretty popular here. The University of Dayton nearly fills their 14,000 seat arena for every home game, and made it to the Elite 8 last year. And Wright State in the suburb of Fairborn fields a decent mid-major Horizon League team. They made it to the NCAA Tournament as recently as 2007, and were in the Horizon League finals the last two years. The crowds at games could be better, but they still lead their league in attendance each year I think.

4. The Oregon district has a lot of bars and restaurants and such, and a new brewery. There are breweries popping up around the city, and a distillery recently opened.

5. Dayton Dragons single-A minor league baseball team has the longest string of sellouts in professional sports.

6. We borrow plenty from Cincinnati, from chili to the sports teams we like. The suburbs from both cities are inching closer and closer together, and apparently in the next census the Dayton-Cincinnati metropolitan area will be a thing.

7. It's not perfect, or even great as of right now, but it's home.

Apt101

I live in North Hollywood, CA which is a neighborhood of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley

We've heard a lot about North Hollywood thanks to Adam Corolla. It sounds like an average town in Any Coastal State USA, but he's rich now and just complains about old rich guy problems.

This right here, except I live in the Ghent area of Norfolk.

I've always loved Ghent. Used to hang around there a lot when I went to ODU and dated girls from the area. Lived there very briefly in the early 80's (right next to Blair Middle School). I always wanted to move back, but the commute from there to anywhere I've worked in the area always would have been hell. Well, except when I worked for the state IT dept, but on that salary I would have been living in a rented room or studio apartment.

1) Houston, TX
2) Being one of the biggest cultural melting pots of the south
3) Beyonce, ZZ Top, Dennis Quaid, Patrick Swayze, Sean Patrick Flannery, Lyle Lovett, Dan Rather, Kenny Rogers

Boom. Lyle Lovett actually goes to my church.
Also, Lee Pace went to my High School and was in the same theater department I was.

AsianOni

1) Reunion Island, France
2) Melting pot of culture thanks to its location and history. A lot of ethnic groups and we blend together without problems (white, black, asian, african, indian and so on...) even with different religions.
Also some beaches and an active volcano that erupts once a year.
3) No one that I can think of... there are some good sportsman than join the national team (football and handball especially).

Some pictures of mine :
An old bridge :
10359737993_ef2661ed99_h.jpg

A church :
10359494436_6def7d80be_h.jpg

10359719353_6a21f2ce91_h.jpg

Old lava from an old eruption that crossed the road :
10359715295_ec668e68fc_h.jpg

Water not from the beach but a port :
10359764273_80876e7ff0_h.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Well for my hometown I guess.

Huddersfield, UK.

Famous for... It once was a booming industrial town, mills, fabrics, etc.

Famous exports:
Birthplace of Rugby League
Legendary UK Prime Minister Lord Harold Wilson.
Lena Headey (Not born, but raised for a time as a very small child)

Oh and a little known actor by the name of Sir Patrick Stewart
BumhDYFIUAAbbsD.jpg

Nyx

1. Utrecht, The Netherlands

2. Built as a Roman fortification in 50 AD, used to be the center of Christianity with the arch-bishop residing here. Now it's the 4th city of The Netherlands, a University-town, and with an old churchtower as the main building. There's also canals, tons of tourism-guides call Utrecht the most beautiful European city with canals.

Pope Adrian VI (1459–1523) – head of the Catholic Church
Louis Andriessen (1939) – composer
Marco van Basten (1964) – football player
Dick Bruna (1927) – writer, illustrator (Miffy)
C.H.D. Buys Ballot (1817–1890) – meteorologist (Buys-Ballot's law)
Theo van Doesburg (1883–1931) – painter, artist (De Stijl movement)
Karel Doorman (1889–1942) – Rear Admiral (Battle of the Java Sea)
Paul Fentener van Vlissingen (1941–2006) – businessman and philanthropist
Anton Geesink (1934–2010) – judoka, first non-Japanese worldchampion Judo
Rijk de Gooyer (1925–2011) – actor, writer, comedian and singer
Sylvia Kristel (1952–2012) – actress Emmanuelle
Gerrit Rietveld (1888–1964) – designer, architect (De Stijl movement)
Herman van Veen (1945) – actor, musician, singer/songwriter and author Alfred J. Kwak

Mupod

Well, I live in Toronto as of May last year, but I'm from Sudbury. Someone who actually knows something about Toronto can handle that, all I know is where to get good burritos.

1. Give us your locale

Sudbury is the largest city in Northern Ontario, at about 150,000. That includes a lot of outlying areas though, they merged quite a few towns into 'Greater Sudbury' a while back. It's of course not the coldest or most remote place in Canada but I've seen my share of -40 winters.

I spent most of my life living on the outskirts, maybe a 30 minute drive from the city itself. It's definitely been a huge change moving from there to Toronto.

Nickel production. The entire area is the site of a giant meteorite impact crater, so there's lots of minerals and a big mining industry. It's not what it used to be and the large mining company (Inco) that employed a lot of the city got bought out by a Brazilian company (Vale) a while back. There are a *lot* of retired former Inco employees living there now, including my dad.

If you're into snowmobiling, hunting, or fishing it's a great place to live. If you're not into those things I hope you like video games because there's not much else to do.

3. Famous people

Alex Trebek!

1. Give us your locale

-Metro Atlanta, GA

-College football
-The Varsity
-Chik-Fil-A headquarters
-CNN, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network
-Coca-Cola
-1996 Olympics
-Waffle House
-Dragon-Con
-The Walking Dead
-Godawful drivers
-Fox Theater
-Mediocre sports teams
-Traffic

3. Famous people

- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Outkast
- Julia Roberts
- Spike Lee
- Tyler Perry
- Usher
- TLC
And a whole lot more.

God, I'm ready to move out of here.

Scuderia

isn't Parkinson from there? I seem to remember him mentioning it quite a few times during the shows

To be fair, yes. Also Metal band Saxon, and Joseph Bramah, inventor of the flushing toilet and beer pump, which go hand in hand.

Brian Glover, David Bradley and all the other less famous actors in Kes.

I think Glover is actually from Sheffield, but Kes was filmed at my dads old school.

wickfut

Banned

Small world. I'm originally from near the train station/carters.

[edit] thought your pic was top of northwood looking at ruffwood school, not overlooking the police station.

1. Give us your locale: Washington DC

DC has a very rich history, I love this city. <3

Nice... DC-GAF represent! :)

These days, we're largely known for cobbling together a large group of people who can never agree on anything. The news refer to these people as "politicians."

We're also known for the plethora of tourist-friendly landmarks with a rich American history, a thriving arts scene (plenty of museums, concert venues, theater, etc), constantly being ranked in the top 3 worst traffic cities in the US, a lot of hipsters, significant historical events (especially revolving around the Civil Rights movement), and probably a few other things.

There are several famous DC natives, which are probably too many to list. Being a fan of jazz though, I'm particularly proud of Duke Ellington being a famous DC native.

EDIT: of course, I love this city as well. The arts scene alone guarantees that one is never bored!

Nightbird

1. Give us your locale

-Duisburg Germany

- Good things: still searching
-Bad things: That Loveparade-Incident

3. Famous people

Ehm, the most famous may be Wilhelm Lembruck a sculptor

Clearos

1. East Haven, CT (Staven)
2. Italians, rumor is that East Haven has the highest concentration of italian-americans (I'm Italian-american myself), We even got a chrismas song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkQ05gkrr4g Sugar Bakery which is rated one of the best cupcake places in Murica.
3. Henry Winkler lived in East Haven when he attended Yale.

I'm currently studying in Würzburg, Northern Bavaria, Germany:

640px-Marienberg_wuerzburg.jpg

640px-Dom_R1.jpg

640px-2004-06-27-Germany-Wuerzburg-Lutz_Marten-Residenz_side_view_1.jpg

Würzburg is mostly known for it's fine wine. In the 17th they burned between 600 and 900 alleged witches . It's also known for the Julius-Maximilians-University, on of the oldes universities of Germany.

Among the notable people born here are:

377px-Bundesarchiv_Bild183-R57262%2C_Werner_Heisenberg.jpg

Werner Heisenberg

427px-Roentgen2.jpg

Wilhelm Röntgen

374px-DirkNowitzki.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki

1. Utrecht, The Netherlands

I think I need to visit Utrecht, it looks beautiful.

m_dorian

1. Give us your locale
Athens, the capitol of Greece (The country not the musical) XD

Tone of things both good and bad. Mostly good. Or sometimes bad. No rest for the wicked i guess.

3. Famous people
Very few now, too many in the past.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Rome, Italy.

Nigh all the cities listed up's description could start off with "Based on a Roman fortification \ Built in Roman pattern", so i'll close it here - This is the place for little-known places.

Icefire1424

I'll modify mine a bit to include where I actually live, and the largest nearby city, which is probably more well known.

1. Give us your locale

Marcellus, NY. A small town of about 6,000 in upstate NY. Likely named after Marcus Claudius Marcellus, a Roman General. Several towns / cities in the area are named after Roman cities or individuals. Although no one has heard of the town I live in, it is a suburb of:

Syracuse, NY, also located in Onondaga county, and definitely more well known.

Marcellus: Not a thing. I live in a very small town, which is exactly how I like it. I live here because it's really quiet, safe, and is close to lots of outdoor stuff to do. A particularly productive trout stream is only a couple minutes from my house.

Syracuse: Syracuse University, and snow. We average around 115" of the white stuff annually. University is pretty well known for it's basketball program, and for generally being a good institution.

3. Famous people

Marcellus: No one famous here.

Syracuse: Tom Cruise, Bobcat Goldthwait and Richard Gere lived in Syracuse, but more famous people are connected to the University. Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Carmelo Anthony, Bob Costas, Donovan McNabb, Joe Biden (Vice President of the USA) and several others went to SU.

I personally think the history of the area is more interesting than either of the cities. Onondaga county, which both Syracuse and Marcellus reside, is an area formerly inhabited by the Iroquois (Native American) Nation. During the early 1600's when the area was being colonized by European settlers, the previously separate Iroquois tribes joined together to form the 5 Nations, under the guidance of the peacemaker Hiawatha (yea, the guy from Civ 5). As part of his plan to achieve peace between the separate nations, Hiawatha encouraged the leaders of the 5 tribes to bury their weapons along the shore of Onondaga Lake (now one of the most polluted in the US, yay!) as a symbolic gesture of them putting down their arms. Supposedly that was the origin of the phrase "to bury the hatchet" - or putting aside differences for a common good.

Arlington, VA (Ballston neighborhood).

Known for great schools, low crime, about 4% unemployment, and one of the highest median incomes in the country. Also has one of the highest percentages of people with graduate degrees. My specific neighborhood is known for young professionals with a lot of disposable income who drink like fish and have bad manners. I can attest to that, as I used to be one (manners are quite good now; disposable income ain't what it used to be since I got engaged).

Famous people include Sandra Bullock.

We've heard a lot about North Hollywood thanks to Adam Corolla. It sounds like an average town in Any Coastal State USA, but he's rich now and just complains about old rich guy problems.

Does he live in North Hollywood? Because old rich guys typically don't. It's more of a starving artist community.

Kevyt

Nice... DC-GAF represent! :)

These days, we're largely known for cobbling together a large group of people who can never agree on anything. The news refer to these people as "politicians."

We're also known for the plethora of tourist-friendly landmarks with a rich American history, a thriving arts scene (plenty of museums, concert venues, theater, etc), constantly being ranked in the top 3 worst traffic cities in the US, a lot of hipsters, significant historical events (especially revolving around the Civil Rights movement), and probably a few other things.

There are several famous DC natives, which are probably too many to list. Being a fan of jazz though, I'm particularly proud of Duke Ellington being a famous DC native.

EDIT: of course, I love this city as well. The arts scene alone guarantees that one is never bored!

Yes, hipsters! Lots of them, myself included. Great nightlife too! Happy to see another DC gaffer.

Ronda Rousey

Just in case it wasn't obvious, this is absolutely not Ronda Rousey. Please do not quote or acknowledge this poster if they're posting to try to impersonate Ronda Rousey
1. Venice, California
2. Beautiful Beaches and famous Boardwalk
3. A lot of famous people. Myself included :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom