• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM/1UP steals the blood and sweat of hardcore gamers?

APF

Slashdot response said:
I interviewed at 1up recently, and when I brought up the subject of game "journalism" the guys just laughed it off. They said, basically, that they're in the business to make money, and that the editorial wall of old-guard journalism doesn't apply.
I doubt this is real; I interviewed for a related pub way back when, and that was not at all the sort of attitude I encountered. I find it hard to believe that anyone would make that sort of comment while interviewing a prospective hire, regardless of the publication or industry.

Matlock

Banned
Basic structure of thread:

<GAF> 1up stole from this place!
<che> valiant attempt at damage control
<GAF> YOU ARE A BAD MAN
<che> fuck it

We've learned two important things here when it comes to scandals such as these:

1. Don't waste time damage controlling shit someone else in your company may or may not have done. People will hate you for it if you don't do it right, and usually tends to escalate things.

2. Refer to 1. There's a reason most companies tell you not to say shit about things within the walls of your employ. :p

skip

APF said:
I doubt this is real; I interviewed for a related pub way back when, and that was not at all the sort of attitude I encountered. I find it hard to believe that anyone would make that sort of comment while interviewing a prospective hire, regardless of the publication or industry.

it isn't real. it's a steaming load of shit. we haven't even thought about hiring new editors in over six months.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
skip said:
it isn't real. it's a steaming load of shit. we haven't even thought about hiring new editors in over six months.

Of course it probably is just shit, however you have to admit you're in a corner here because if it did happen your response would be exactly the same, wouldn't it? ;)

Vennt said:
Of course it probably is just shit, however you have to admit you're in a corner here because if it did happen your response would be exactly the same, wouldn't it? ;)

Heh. That's totally unfair, and we all know it.

I could accuse, oh, EDGE let's say (since everyone here seems to love love love them until the breaka breaka dawn) of taking under-the-table money from Sony to give unfavorable coverage to the 360.

EDGE would then say, "Of course we didn't do that, you bloody wankers! What's wrong with you? We have standards, you know."

And then you could say, "Ooooh, you would've said the same thing even if you didn't do it! You could be hiding something! Nothing you say will ever vindicate you in our eyes!"

But it's all rhetorical bullshit. Either you trust 'em or you don't, based on your experiences with the quality of their work. Calling them out anonymously on GAF (or in a printed editorial) does... hmm... nothing.

Oh, and as for the idiotic thing on /., that's just retarded. Did anyone seriously believe that? Heh. Garbage. Ziff may be many things, but that stupid they are not.

Shinobi

Matlock said:
Basic structure of thread:

<GAF> 1up stole from this place!
<che> valiant attempt at damage control
<GAF> YOU ARE A BAD MAN
<che> fuck it

:lol

ali.jpg

"He's a baaaaad man!!"

Flo_Evans

MattHelgeson said:
i'm waiting for che to challenge someone to a duel!

pistols at dawn seems the only way to settle this.

no no no... itS quite obvious that a DOA match between 1up and DOAcentral is the only way to settle this!!

Here's the simple solution, 1up should just take down the guide, bury it, and never bring up the game again. Apparently 1up didn't give it high marks, so why even bother wasting time on this issue and move on to a better game to dedicate your resources to. I'm sure Tecmo would love that a lot, a fan site putting the kaibosh on a game guide.

And this is such a minor thing that 1up articles will not be banned from GAF. You crybabies will forget about this other website in less than a week. GAF ADD in full effect come tomorrow.

APF

Vennt said:

Maybe if you were interviewing for a position in sales or something? But even then, as I said, I find it hard to believe someone would say that to a prospective hire.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
WasabiKing said:
And this is such a minor thing that 1up articles will not be banned from GAF. You crybabies will forget about this other website in less than a week. GAF ADD in full effect come tomorrow.

Wait, wait, did I miss this? People wanted future 1UP articles banned?

Matlock

Banned
Agent Dormer said:
Wait, wait, did I miss this? People wanted future 1UP articles banned?

Well there was that one guy who bitched to me and was going to write an article to Kyle Orland about it.

Dave Long

Banned
Replace the page with a link to the "real" guide at DOACentral. Have the fellow apologize for what he did.

I know people don't like to see people hurt, but he did the one thing you can't do when you're a writer and at any respectable publication, he'd already be fired.

Juice

Dave Long said:
Replace the page with a link to the "real" guide at DOACentral. Have the fellow apologize for what he did.

I know people don't like to see people hurt, but he did the one thing you can't do when you're a writer and at any respectable publication, he'd already be fired.

Monday's workday is hardly over. He wouldn't be fired. Just suspended with the full understanding he wasn't coming back.

Dave Long said:

Actually most "respectable" publications do thorough inquiries into this ort of thing, not summarily fire people to assuage the fury of forum posters.

APF

Dave Long said:
Not saying anything but what I've seen in the mainstream press. New York Times, etc... they fire people that do this.
They would call the guide, "fake, but accurate."

Dave Long said:

QFT.

I think the reasons why some people are getting pissed off is because:

1) Che's going on damage control, personally I can't blame the guy, it's human nature to take care of his younglings. Go Che go! But I think admitting Li's fault would be better.

2) 1up (on a regular basis) talks smack about other publications, most notably IGN entertainment.

3) And there was a blog entry recently by Dan saying how no Ziff Davis outlet would ever do anything under the table or 'not by the book' -- and then flipping that blame to various other "undisclosed' gaming publications. And then, this goes down.

4) LOL at Mark, "hey, that shits on 1up, don't blame EGM" :lol

Billy Rygar said:
Actually most "respectable" publications do thorough inquiries into this ort of thing, not summarily fire people to assuage the fury of forum posters.

Ummm...Jayson Blair? New York Times? It can happen at even the most respectable publication.

teruterubozu said:
Ummm...Jayson Blair? New York Times? It can happen at even the most respectable publication.
I didn't mean it doesn't happen at "respectable" publications, I meant that they wouldn't fire someone because Steve Forumposter was demanding it, and nothing else.

Odysseus

Banned
I'm not so much worried about "integrity" when it comes to gaming "journalism." It's entertainment, for crying out loud, who cares.

Do whatever you want, IGN, 1up, et al. I don't care.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Dave Long said:
Not saying anything but what I've seen in the mainstream press. New York Times, etc... they fire people that do this.

Reason for leaving: Failed to live up to ethical standards of videogame website. Fired.

Billy Rygar said:
I didn't mean it doesn't happen at "respectable" publications, I meant that they wouldn't fire someone because Steve Forumposter was demanding it, and nothing else.

Oh, OK. Gotcha. I thought you were talking about scandals in general...

stewy

C- Warrior said:
QFT.

I think the reasons why some people are getting pissed off is because:

1) Che's going on damage control, personally I can't blame the guy, it's human nature to take care of his younglings. Go Che go! But I think admitting Li's fault would be better.

2) 1up (on a regular basis) talks smack about other publications, most notably IGN entertainment.

3) And there was a blog entry recently by Dan saying how no Ziff Davis outlet would ever do anything under the table or 'not by the book' -- and then flipping that blame to various other "undisclosed' gaming publications. And then, this goes down.

4) LOL at Mark, "hey, that shits on 1up, don't blame EGM" :lol

First of all, someone on a forum somewhere insisting that his work was copied by one of your writers is far from the sort of solid proof you need to just fire someone. You need to check it more thoroughly than a similar paragraph posted on a forum full of people howling for blood (a lot of people who, obviously, don't even frequent your website anyway).

Of course Che's siding with his writers. That's what's required of management until they investigate this whole thing further, talk to the folks making the accusations, talk to their writer, and go over the material in question on their own (as well as the material it was allegedly copied from). The writers working for you need to know that you will back them until it's no longer ethical to do so.

You people live in a fantasy world if you think a few message board accusations are enough to get someone summarily dismissed.

If they find there has been any wrongdoing here by Richard Li, then I have no doubt that 1up will do the honourable thing. Heck, they already made a news post about the fact that they took the guide down until they investigated further. I think most rational people would agree that means they're not "covering it up," as it would have been much more discreet to just take the guide off the server with no notice whatsoever. But here you've got a public notice on their front page, and one of the Executive Editors explaining the steps they're currently taking in a public forum.

Although I think it would be totally awesome if they blamed it on some rogue element that got to the copy as it was on the way to the printer.

chespace said:
Right now, we're trying to contact the folks at DOA Central. If they'll let us re-publish the guide with proper credits and links, then yay, we get to do so. If they rather we didn't because this whole thing has left a bad taste in their mouth, then we shall respect those wishes too.

Wait, if they let you? So basically are we to assume that since you're asking them for approval you're admitting that he copied it? Or is 1up trying to pacify DOAC without admitting any sort of guilt?

snatches

stewy said:
You people live in a fantasy world if you think a few message board accusations are enough to get someone summarily dismissed.

This guy will not fired for this. He'll claim he forgot to cite the reference and get permission and keep his job. He is just participating in the copy and paste orgy we call the internet. This is par for the course. That 1up is addressing this at all is surprising and a testament to how seriously they take their work (with the exception of Mr. Li).

Although Mark MacDonald saying that EGM does not equal 1up is a low blow to his brothers in arms and a cheap tactic. We all know the truth Mark. Save it.

Harmonica

stewy said:
Of course Che's siding with his writers. That's what's required of management until they investigate this whole thing further, talk to the folks making the accusations, talk to their writer, and go over the material in question on their own (as well as the material it was allegedly copied from). The writers working for you need to know that you will back them until it's no longer ethical to do so.

I agree with this post.

stewy

snatches said:
This guy will not fired for this. He'll claim he forgot to cite the reference and get permission and keep his job. He is just participating in the copy and paste orgy we call the internet. This is par for the course. That 1up is addressing this at all is surprising and a testament to how seriously they take their work (with the exception of Mr. Li).

Although Mark MacDonald saying that EGM does not equal 1up is a low blow to his brothers in arms and a cheap tactic. We all know the truth Mark. Save it.

Well Mark's got a point. EGM and 1up have two entirely separate staffs. Although there is some crossover, members of other publications within the company are treated as freelancers when they contribute to a magazine or website outside of their particular assignment.

EGM has no say in what is or isn't published on 1up, unless it's repurposed EGM content or something they're doing jointly (say, the extended Peter Moore interview, for example). Likewise, 1up has no say or approval on what is or isn't published in EGM, OPM or CGW.

So Mark's right. While you can make the argument that 1up and EGM are both Ziff Davis, editorially they're only linked in certain ways.

Dave Long

Banned
stewy said:
So Mark's right. While you can make the argument that 1up and EGM are both Ziff Davis, editorially they're only linked in certain ways.

The last part there is the problem. For the public, they are one and the same. 1UP is the online presence for EGM and vice versa in print. They've gone to a lot of trouble to make this connection in the magazine and through the site. You can't turn around and say, "We're not involved" just because the guy on the other staff blew it (if that's indeed the case... which the evidence seems pretty darn weighted against him).

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dave Long said:
The last part there is the problem. For the public, they are one and the same. 1UP is the online presence for EGM and vice versa in print. They've gone to a lot of trouble to make this connection in the magazine and through the site. You can't turn around and say, "We're not involved" just because the guy on the other staff blew it (if that's indeed the case... which the evidence seems pretty darn weighted against him).

I agree with this. With all the 1up ads in EGM magazines (and all the blurbs in EGM articles telling readers to go to 1up.com for more media, in-depth articles, etc.), how is the general public NOT supposed to assume 1up is the online equivalent of EGM?

stewy

SnowWolf said:
I agree with this. With all the 1up ads in EGM magazines (and all the blurbs in EGM articles telling readers to go to 1up.com for more media, in-depth articles, etc.), how is the general public NOT supposed to assume 1up is the online equivalent of EGM?

I didn't know we were talking about the general public here. I thought we were talking about the generally better-informed folks of this message board. Mark simply pointed out that 1up and EGM are not one in the same. He also noted that the problem was being addressed.

He hardly washed his hands of the whole thing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SnowWolf said:

Don't forget the link to 1UP on every page in the magazine.

Juice

stewy said:
I didn't know we were talking about the general public here. I thought we were talking about the generally better-informed folks of this message board. Mark simply pointed out that 1up and EGM are not one in the same. He also noted that the problem was being addressed.

He hardly washed his hands of the whole thing.

We started talking about the (relative) general public as soon as Slashdot came pouring into this thread.

Aggressive cross-promotion between EGM and 1up is one thing. The fact is that they have seperate editorial staffs and it's highly unlikely that anyone on the EGM side would have had anything to do with the assignment, creation, editing, or publishing of the piece in question.

Thus, labeling it as an "EGM" issue is incorrect. EGM is right to disassociate themselves from the article insofar as the process by which this complaint is going to be resolved is going to be through 1up, not EGM. It's not as if Mark is somehow callously leaving Che out to dry here; just reinforcing something that anyone at 1up would agree with: the two publications are seperate.

Shawn128

So what would happen if someone were caught plagarizing on say, cnn.com, or foxnews.com?

Would you want them fired, or would a public apology be in order?

What I'm trying to get at is this: The videogame industry is trying to become more and more mature every year. I feel that videogame publications should reflect this trend. Appropriate actions should be made.

In my opinion, 1up should do something to set an example for the rest of videogame publishing. Firing may be harsh, but it would get the point across. What would a little slap on the hand and a short apology on their website do?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Shawn128 said:
So what would happen if someone were caught plagarizing on say, cnn.com, or foxnews.com?

Would you want them fired, or would a public apology be in order?

What I'm trying to get at is this: The videogame industry is trying to become more and more mature every year. I feel that videogame publications should reflect this trend. Appropriate actions should be made.

In my opinion, 1up should do something to set an example for the rest of videogame publishing. Firing may be harsh, but it would get the point across. What would a little slap on the hand and a short apology on their website do?

You're forgetting that the real world moves at a much slower pace than the idiocy that is the internet. Jesus, only one workday passed since the shit started.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
are people seriously calling for someone to be FIRED for this?

Jesus christ, get your heads out of your arses!

Also, why should 1up set any examples for anyone?

the WORST that should happen, if the guides were used, is that Richard Li should say

"Myself and 1 up would like to note the following : during the creation of the 1up DOA guide, i used a number of websites to help me get used to the game as quickly as possible, i read DOACentral and some of their advice proved helpful to my guide. Unfortunately, this advice was then included as part of the strat i wrote. Although plaigarism was definitely not what i had in mind, there are some striking similarities. I'd like to credit DOACentral for the help and advice given, and apologise for any offense caused by the article or guide. Please visit DOACentral for excellent tips and guides."

And that's it.

end of story.

now please can all you panty wetting sops back up!?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FIRE THE BASTARD!
OUR FORM OF ART DESERVES CREDIBILITY!

Top Bottom