• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*EID MUBARAK!* RAMADAN 2015 |OT| Come with me if you want to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
The hottest day of the year went yesterday. Closed the doors and windows to keep the hot air from outside coming in!

shukran

sounds like a good time for pictures

To avoid clutter and in case someone has bandwidth issues, I compiled the images i have collected so far here

The first 5 images are from near the outskirts of Madinah, near Badr. The images with the well are of the Beer-e-roha/birr-e-roha (Google it!)

The latter images are just after Fajr, outside of the mosque. The first image is the current hotel I am residing in, so I didn't have to walk much to take the images and since I was moving and snapping, it came out terrible.

I'll try and get better images later, and hopefully of some other places too.

Regginator

It's starting to get very hot here in the Netherlands, the thirst is real. :(( It was around 34 degrees yesterday and it's expected to last at least for five days straight. I dislike the heat, I can't even sleep. I've slept like, three hours or something today. I hit the showers pretty much three times a day. And the worst thing here is the humidity, it makes the heat twice as bad.

BUT WE WILL ENDURE.

Jumped on the scales today and realised I've gained a bit of weight :(
To avoid clutter and in case someone has bandwidth issues, I compiled the images i have collected so far here

The first 5 images are from near the outskirts of Madinah, near Badr. The images with the well are of the Beer-e-roha/birr-e-roha (Google it!)

The latter images are just after Fajr, outside of the mosque. The first image is the current hotel I am residing in, so I didn't have to walk much to take the images and since I was moving and snapping, it came out terrible.

Aw you lucky thing. I wish I was over there. What's the story behind the well? Couldn't find anything after a quick google.

Aw you lucky thing. I wish I was over there. What's the story behind the well? Couldn't find anything after a quick google.

After the battle of Badr, the sahabi were injured and some were sick and needed water. There was a well near where they were, but it was so dirty and harmful that even all animals stayed away from it. Seeing this, Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) threw his saliva in it, and as a result the well started becoming purified, or so it goes.

Missed a few days. Way too hard to concentrate at work and it's the busiest time for me. I have been donating money to make up for the days I've missed though.

Halfway though huh.

Honestly it's not too bad, just tiring. I've switched over to a biphasic sleeping schedule, where I sleep from 11PM-3:30AM, then stay awake and go to work, then come back at 5:30 and then sleep for an hour and a half. So getting around 6 hours of sleep, not too bad. Days just feels packed though.

Ashes

Banned
After the battle of Badr, the sahabi were injured and some were sick and needed water. There was a well near where they were, but it was so dirty and harmful that even all animals stayed away from it. Seeing this, Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) threw his saliva in it, and as a result the well started becoming purified, or so it goes.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to say a dua and be done with it?

I guess the metaphor is trying to say even the prophet's spit is something special. :p

Wouldn't it just make more sense to say a dua and be done with it?

I guess the metaphor is trying to say even the prophet's spit is something special. :p

Yes. :p

The purified water cured health problems and stuff too. I'd link the site, but it fails to load for me. The wifi here isn't optimal. :(

what is everybody's opinion on marijuana?

thank you.

okay, so I bought rocky road flavored whey. the rocky road flavor is known to have marshmallows in it. i read the ingredients of the whey protein and it didn't say gelatin, BUT, it does say natural and artificial flavors. should i be worried?

Hadith of the day: Bonus points if this sounds somewhat familiar

Ali said:
Whenever I narrate to you anything from the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) believe it to be absolutely true as falling from the sky is dearer to me than that of attributing anything to him (the Holy Prophet) which he never said. When I talk to you of anything which is between me and you (there might creep some error in it) for battle is an outwitting. I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) as saying: There would arise at the end of the age a people who would be young in age and immature in thought, but they would talk (in such a manner) as if their words are the best among the creatures. They would recite the Qur'an, but it would not go beyond their throats, and they would pass through the religion as an arrow goes through the prey. So when you meet them, kill them, for in their killing you would get a reward with Allah on the Day of Judgement.

Sahih Muslim

Narrated `Ali:

I relate the traditions of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) to you for I would rather fall from the sky than attribute something to him falsely. But when I tell you a thing which is between you and me, then no doubt, war is guile. I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, "In the last days of this world there will appear some young foolish people who will use (in their claim) the best speech of all people (i.e. the Qur'an) and they will abandon Islam as an arrow going through the game. Their belief will not go beyond their throats (i.e. they will have practically no belief), so wherever you meet them, kill them, for he who kills them shall get a reward on the Day of Resurrection."

Sahih Bukhari

Shengar

I was trying to not sleep after shahoor, only ended up to take a 6 hours nap after dhuha time. Never again, maybe I should try to sleep earlier instead.

So I pigged out today and got myself KFC...chicken never tasted so good.
i got a bunch of coupons (like piece of paper with perforated boxes) for burger king. gonna buy a whole bunch of that crap tomorrow, enough for iftar that night, and ceri the next morning.

Anon67

what is everybody's opinion on marijuana?
thank you.

Don't smoke it for fun. If you are using it for medical reasons, it might be best to look for other alternatives before using it. That's what I think, I guess I could be wrong with my opinion.

Just beat the Witcher 3. Amazing game. Definitely recommend it. Going to start my first playthrough of Star Wars: KOTOR.

okay, so I bought rocky road flavored whey. the rocky road flavor is known to have marshmallows in it. i read the ingredients of the whey protein and it didn't say gelatin, BUT, it does say natural and artificial flavors. should i be worried?

yeah, I would avoid Rocky Road ice cream. Which is a shame, because it looks so good

Ah I see. Thanks. Also the battle of Badr occurred today on the 17 of Ramadan :)
Hadith of the day: Bonus points if this sounds somewhat familiar

Sahih Muslim

Sahih Bukhari
Yea. This is talking about the Kharaweej right? The first sect in Islam which continues to be a problem for this Ummah until today.

Got really sick for a few days and just recovered. Alhamdulillah.
Dude. I just recovered from the flu as well. Was only sick for a couple of days though, alhamdulilah.

My grandfather passed away this morning.

Happened so unexpectedly and during Ramadan of all times. I had so many wonderful memories with him growing up and I was looking forward to spending the next Ramadan with him. He raised me and my brothers when my dad walked out on us man. I just heard his voice the other day when he was on the phone with my mom but I didnt talk since I was busy doing something else, thinking I can just call him over the weekend. I coulda told him I loved him or something.

I thought we would have more time together. Just full of regrets man. Cherish your loved ones people, and make sure to tell them you love them whenever you get the chance to. Hope he's finally at peace.

إِنَّا للهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ‎

Fedemgsuy

Happened so unexpectedly and during Ramadan of all times. I had so many wonderful memories with him growing up and I was looking forward to spending the next Ramadan with him. He raised me and my brothers when my dad walked out on us man. I just heard his voice the other day when he was on the phone with my mom but I didnt talk since I was busy doing something else, thinking I can just call him over the weekend. I coulda told him I loved him or something.

I thought we would have more time together. Just full of regrets man. Cherish your loved ones people, and make sure to tell them you love them whenever you get the chance to. Hope he's finally at peace.
He knew you loved him, trust me on this, be strong and carry on man, im not a religious person, but i wish the best for you and your family.

I forgot to tell everyone at work that july 4th just happens to be my parents' anniversay =(
Don't smoke it for fun. If you are using it for medical reasons, it might be best to look for other alternatives before using it. That's what I think, I guess I could be wrong with my opinion.

Just beat the Witcher 3. Amazing game. Definitely recommend it. Going to start my first playthrough of Star Wars: KOTOR.
as a medicine, it is much more natural than other prescription drugs.

as for not smoking it for fun...that isn't the answer I want to hear, but I'd be in denial if I'm not accepting it.

yeah, I would avoid Rocky Road ice cream. Which is a shame, because it looks so good
it's not rocky road ice cream, it's rocky road flavored whey protein. there isn't gelatin in the ingredients but the ingredients do say natural and artificial flavors. should I be worried?

dua for your loss.

i met my maternal grandfather twice before his passing and I never met my paternal. I think he died before I was born.

Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon. May Allah grant him the highest stations in jannatul firdaws and may He grant you and your family sabr and ease.

nib95

Banned
Just a quick charitable plug for those that want to help, during this holy month.

irw-post-img-605x340.jpg

A rather large and prominent Islamic charity, Islamic Relief announced earlier on The Islam Channel (Sky 806) that any donations taken for the Ramadan Where Most Needed project, which is to help out those in need in Gaza (with food, clothes, shelters, education etc), will be doubled up by the EAC. In other words, if you donate £100, EAC will double it to £200.

So if you still need to pay your Zakat, or just want to make a donation to help out where it is so badly needed, you can pay online or ring up to pay over the phone.

http://www.islamic-relief.org.uk
Tel: 0800 520 0000
Landline: 020 7593 3232

If you do want your donation to be doubled, remember to donate to the "Ramadan Where Most Needed" project, though there are lots of other projects also going on (Rohingya, Syria etc). Also, if you're a UK taxpayer, make sure you mention it, or tick the box when paying online. That way that extra bit from your tax, helps towards boosting your charitable donations, at no extra cost to yourself!

Thanks for the support bros. It means a lot! We had a lot of family come over today so even though it wasn't under the most ideal circumstances, it was great to see everyone. We all went to jummah prayer and then had iftar together and shared good memories and stories of my grandfather. He was a great man and a pious Muslim and we all looked up to him. Makes me want to do much better in every way.

dua for your loss.

i met my maternal grandfather twice before his passing and I never met my paternal. I think he died before I was born.

I never got a chance to know my paternal grandparents either but my moms parents were with us for like the first 20 years of my life. I'm thankful I got to know them.

Inna lillahi wa inallah-e-raji'oon. May Allah grant him Jannah Firdaus and may he give you and your family ease during this time of hardship.

sorry for your loss. ill keep him in my dua

Thanks bros, that means a lot.

Anon67

I forgot to tell everyone at work that july 4th just happens to be my parents' anniversay =(as a medicine, it is much more natural than other prescription drugs.

as for not smoking it for fun...that isn't the answer I want to hear, but I'd be in denial if I'm not accepting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weed is just like alcohol in the sense that it alters the mind in a bad way. Because of that, I treat the restrictions on alcohol as restrictions for weed as well.

sorry for your loss. ill keep him in my dua

Oh, I see that I missed this thread.

Innalillahi..
My grandma passed away in Ramadan as well, back in 2013. May Allah give them a place in Jannah..

HMD

Hearing about 18+ hours fasts makes me thankful I only fast for 14 something hours, and I honestly barely manage that, but I guess you guys aren't living in a desert like me, so it might not be so bad.

Innalillah.

so my local masjid is structured so that the female's prayer section is a balcony upstairs. I needed to ask my mother something so I went upstairs and waited outside the prayer room, one lady looked at me and asked what I was looking for and I responded by saying my mother, and she asked who my mother was and I pointed because she was praying, and then the lady just told me to go back downstairs because I wasn't allowed to be up there.

that pissed me off. yes, I know males are not supposed to go to the females' section but I wasn't up there looking for trouble. I was up there looking for my mother.
Thanks for the support bros. It means a lot! We had a lot of family come over today so even though it wasn't under the most ideal circumstances, it was great to see everyone. We all went to jummah prayer and then had iftar together and shared good memories and stories of my grandfather. He was a great man and a pious Muslim and we all looked up to him. Makes me want to do much better in every way.

I never got a chance to know my paternal grandparents either but my moms parents were with us for like the first 20 years of my life. I'm thankful I got to know them.

Thanks bros, that means a lot.
've been to my motherland a total of 3 times and of those 3 times I got to see my maternal grandfather twice, because by the third time he had passed, and I got to see my beloved grandmother every time. the woman who raised my mother as well as her siblings.
Correct me if I'm wrong, weed is just like alcohol in the sense that it alters the mind in a bad way. Because of that, I treat the restrictions on alcohol as restrictions for weed as well.
I think you are right, but again it's hard for me to accept that answer.

I've been away from it for a total of about 3 months now, and after all this time and even being within Ramadan, my desires for doing it are not going away. If anything, they are strengthening. Everything from being busy at work because a local branch closed down making us THAT much busier, to that lady who yelled at me to the masjid, to just wanting to do it.

How much water do you drink on suhoor?

Innalillahi... sorry for your loss.
I'd say a glass and a half, maybe two.

AAK

Thanks for the zakat suggestion nib.

I think you are right, but again it's hard for me to accept that answer.

I've been away from it for a total of about 3 months now, and after all this time and even being within Ramadan, my desires for doing it are not going away. If anything, they are strengthening. Everything from being busy at work because a local branch closed down making us THAT much busier, to that lady who yelled at me to the masjid, to just wanting to do it.

Trust me man, I've seen some effects of weed and marijuana happen in my community. Unfortunately a lot of the victims are the Somali youth. You've made it 3 months, keep at it. Eventually everything will pay off InshAllah. It's remarkable that you've made it this far and don't let it all go to waste by going straight back to 0. And make the intention of breaking the habit as a means of ibadah (worship) and you'll get an insurmountable amount of Barakah with everything multiplied in Ramadan.

Thanks for the zakat suggestion nib.

Trust me man, I've seen some effects of weed and marijuana happen in my community. Unfortunately a lot of the victims are the Somali youth. You've made it 3 months, keep at it. Eventually everything will pay off InshAllah. It's remarkable that you've made it this far and don't let it all go to waste by going straight back to 0. And make the intention of breaking the habit as a means of ibadah (worship) and you'll get an insurmountable amount of Barakah with everything multiplied in Ramadan.
I've gone 3 months, and I don't intend to go straight back to 0 anytime soon. I guess I am not a good enough Muslim so I can't say that I've given it up for god. But maybe that's what it will become, who knows.

btw, isn't weed and marijuana the same thing? =]

AAK

Doesn't matter what happened in the past. Always a good refresher to renew your intentions. There are other things you can do to help aid in satiating the withdrawal symptoms. I have serious addiction problems too with social media that I'm having a lot of difficulty overcoming this Ramadan. I'm trying and one thing that has done the most benefit is making an HOURLY schedule in a spreadsheet. Did a lot to take my mind off things.

I'm personally gonna make a resolution to block ALL social media in the last 10 days hopefully and make the most out of the remainder of the month.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihim raajioun. This world is nothing. Inshallah we will all be reunited with our loved ones.

Anon67

so my local masjid is structured so that the female's prayer section is a balcony upstairs. I needed to ask my mother something so I went upstairs and waited outside the prayer room, one lady looked at me and asked what I was looking for and I responded by saying my mother, and she asked who my mother was and I pointed because she was praying, and then the lady just told me to go back downstairs because I wasn't allowed to be up there.

that pissed me off. yes, I know males are not supposed to go to the females' section but I wasn't up there looking for trouble. I was up there looking for my mother.

I do think it might have been best if you had waited somewhere else besides the women's' prayer area (it might feel awkward for some women, I'd assume), but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed there. That women kinda sounds like a prick. As long as you stayed to the sides, you'd be fine, IMO.

Doesn't matter what happened in the past. Always a good refresher to renew your intentions. There are other things you can do to help aid in satiating the withdrawal symptoms. I have serious addiction problems too with social media that I'm having a lot of difficulty overcoming this Ramadan. I'm trying and one thing that has done the most benefit is making an HOURLY schedule in a spreadsheet. Did a lot to take my mind off things.
I think for me I just have to keep going sober. No other way to recover I guess.
I'm personally gonna make a resolution to block ALL social media in the last 10 days hopefully and make the most out of the remainder of the month.
does this mean we should expect you to not be on the gaf next week?

I do think it might have been best if you had waited somewhere else besides the women's' prayer area (it might feel awkward for some women, I'd assume), but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed there. That women kinda sounds like a prick. As long as you stayed to the sides, you'd be fine, IMO.
that's the thing though, there was nowhere else I could've reached out to her. I agree about that woman though, she didn't have to be like but it was also good that I was sent down because tarabi was about to start right around then, I wouldn't have had much time to talk to my mother. Trust me I didn't want to make things awkward for the women or myself and I didn't want to go there unless I had to, and I'll probably never do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom