• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

I can usually last a while without eating, but man, I'm thirsty like all the time. As soon as I wake up I feel like drinking something. That's the hardest part for me.

Salam oe alaikom, brothers. How are y'all holding up ? :p Maghreb can't come soon enough for me

Wa alykum as salaam. Alhamdulillah.

I used to fast throughout the year periodically but stupid schedule issues this past year prevented that. This is the only year in recent memory that I actually feel thirsty.

H4WtXkk.jpg
Got me some nice lahmacun from a turkish spot. Mmmmmm

Spongebob

Banned
Despite how late Maghrib is this Ramadan (9:36 pm atm), fasting has been very easy so far. I really haven't felt hungry or thirsty during the day.

artist

Banned
I havent felt hungry or thirsty either but man I'm exhausted, cant get in even some decent sleep. Look like a zombie atm. Hopefully I can control my sleep cycles.

The thirst has been alright but my stomach is out of control this year. It makes the most hideous noises and I'm so hungry it hurts. I actually want to get up for suhoor but I keep sleeping through it ;_; My husband gets up and tries to wake me and I either wave him away, still half-asleep, or I don't even respond. I want to just eat a spoon of peanut butter and drink some water but apparently I can't even manage that. XP Some of your suhoor meals sound amazing. Grilled cheese and watermelon sounds especially perfect.

Repgnar

Just wanted to say good luck guys. At my schoolhouse the teachers are Muslim so we've been getting to hear their opinions/thoughts on the month. One teacher eats slightly before midnight and then sleeps until he has to go to work opting to only have one meal a day. Is it more common for people to eat, sleep, eat then go back to sleep again or is there no common method?

T-Rex.

Banned
What do you guys do to counter bad breath during Ramadan? I can never find a clear answer on whether or not we're allowed to brush our teeth, or use mouthwash during the day. It's tricky for me cos I'm at work during the day and my job involves a lot of interaction with colleagues/customers so it's really awkward having to talk to them face to face knowing my breath smells really bad.

Just wanted to say good luck guys. At my schoolhouse the teachers are Muslim so we've been getting to hear their opinions/thoughts on the month. One teacher eats slightly before midnight and then sleeps until he has to go to work opting to only have one meal a day. Is it more common for people to eat, sleep, eat then go back to sleep again or is there no common method?

The latter is most common. I eat when the sun goes down to break my fast. I go to sleep and wake up around 4:00 AM before the sun comes up and eat. This meal in the morning is known as suhoor (sehri in other languages). After sehri I'll go back to sleep.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So my mother just decided to ditch my father after what, 40 years of marriage? right in the middle of Ramadan.

Lovely thing, that.

What do you guys do to counter bad breath during Ramadan? I can never find a clear answer on whether or not we're allowed to brush our teeth, or use mouthwash during the day. It's tricky for me cos I'm at work during the day and my job involves a lot of interaction with colleagues/customers so it's really awkward having to talk to them face to face knowing my breath smells really bad.

The condition that breaks the fast with regards to toothpaste and mouthwash pertains to swallowing. If you can prevent the toothpaste or mouthwash from being swallowed, it is allowed to use them but still disliked.

As mentioned above, the best option is miswak.

So my mother just decided to ditch my father after what, 40 years of marriage? right in the middle of Ramadan.

Lovely thing, that.

My condolences... may Allah subhana wa ta'ala make this easy on you and your family.

Lovely thing, that.
That sounds like an impulsive decision to me, that's one heck of a thing to walk away from

Something tells me this is very temporary and I hope this sudden spike evens out and things turn back to normal soon

I wanted to make banana bread today but somebody at the last bananas BTW

Ab47th

Neo Member
Salamu Alaykum

How are you doing, brothers? :D
It's my first post here and I just wanted to wish you all a good time.
Hmm what else? maybe share these beautiful quran recitations I've been listening to non-stop, since it's time for taraweeh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDEXc854zI
Sheikh: Nasser Al-Qatami
From 2:12 onwards, his voice is just indescribable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VIK_3hV5w
Same sheikh in Geneva.

Last:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Y2_XpBkyY
Amazing from start to finish :'(

And Ramadan Mubarak to you all.

Definitely an interesting Ramadan this year now that I'm fasting and bulking up and weight lifting this summer. Hope I'm not defeating the purpose of the fast since I'm intentionally eating more than the calories needed to maintain my weight after its time to break.

Salamu Alaykum

Hmm what else? maybe share these beautiful quran recitations I've been listening to non-stop, since it's time for taraweeh:

Same sheikh in Geneva.

Last:

Wa alaikum salam, doing pretty good bro. Ramadan mubarak!

Gargling Hydrogen Peroxide works for me.

Linkhero1

Lovely thing, that.

Sorry to hear. I hope you the best inshaAllah.

My condolences... may Allah subhana wa ta'ala make this easy on you and your family.

Ameen.

Salamu Alaykum

Same sheikh in Geneva.

Last:

Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatuh

Thanks for sharing :)

So far, today has been good. I cannot believe it's the fourth day already.

Pakistan having a better spell of weather (at least in Lahore) since Ramadan started. Humidity is getting up there, but its mostly cloudy or rains a bit.

Bring on the samosas and pakoras!

phalestine

aka iby.h
lahmacun ?
so, that what it called in english
in syria we call it "لحم بعجين" it can be translate to "Meat dough"
You guys don't call it sfeeha?? That's what it's known as in the levantine countries, at least I thought so.

I do miss Haleem, we have some but I avoid it because it gives me heartburn :(

Raist

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, but is drinking just water also not allowed? If so how do you guys living in really hot places cope with it?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pardon my ignorance, but is drinking just water also not allowed? If so how do you guys living in really hot places cope with it?

If someone really can't handle it, I mean, we're talking about on the verge of collapse or other potentially dangerous situation here, then it is alright to just break his fast and to replace it on any other day.

I've been doing a MyProtein Protein bar and lots of water at Suhur and then just some grilled chicken at Iftaar.

Hardest part is that I'm still trying to maintain my workout schedule, which is five times a week. The motivation is at an all time low just before Iftaar, which is when I usually go. Rough.

Hope you guys are fairing well.

Terra

I am an unbeliever myself, but I have worked with people that believe in islam. I still can be fascinated with ramadan...and all the goodies you get to eat afterwards ;). How long is it left of ramadan?

Linkhero1

I am an unbeliever myself, but I have worked with people that believe in islam. I still can be fascinated with ramadan...and all the goodies you get to eat afterwards ;). How long is it left of ramadan?

Hi! No clue when the last day is yet, but today is day five for me. Probably 24 or 25 more days remaining.

Fasting over a holiday / weekend is the worst ... MUCH easier during the work day. That way I'm distracted and too busy to notice my hunger / thirst. With no distractions and being home surrounded with food is hard >.<

vareon

Fasting over a holiday / weekend is the worst ... MUCH easier during the work day. That way I'm distracted and too busy to notice my hunger / thirst. With no distractions and being home surrounded with food is hard >.<

Play/pray/read/watch/sleep. Weekends are OK since it's only two days. I used to have a full month of holiday in Ramadan and that wasn't pretty lol.

Edit:

Lovely thing, that.

Oh man, wish I could do something to help :( At the risk of sounding insensitive, can't you ask them to hold it until Idul Fitri? No better time to forgive each other...

6th fast was for me today...

Usually there is 29 or 30 days of fasting.

Finally went to workout for the first time since Ramadan started. I took it really easy on myself used the rowing machine for about thirty minutes and cut my regular workouts by half their sets. Didn't exert myself too much but did enough to feel the burn.

L.O.R.D

You guys don't call it sfeeha?? That's what it's known as in the levantine countries, at least I thought so.

I do miss Haleem, we have some but I avoid it because it gives me heartburn :(

sfeeha or lahem ajean is the same thing
the other kind called oshh al bul bul (Nightingale's Nest , yah , thats actually its name)
it smaller then sfeeha , but the dough is more fluffy and crunchy

%D8%B9%D8%B4-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%841.jpg

also, the meat is somehow sweeter because of Pomegranate molasses , and they cooked it with ghee instead of oil
thats why its more expansive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom