• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Can/should I do cardio 1 or 2 hours prior to iftar to lose weight?

Cardio will make you really dehydrated and it isn't recommend. The best thing to do during fasting is lifting. Lots of studies have been done on this. It's great if you are trying to lower body fat.

LNBL

I would say that have a very light iftar then do some cardio afterwards so you can drink water.

Gym is closed after iftar here

Cardio will make you really dehydrated and it isn't recommend. The best thing to do during fasting is lifting. Lots of studies have been done on this. It's great if you are trying to lower body fat.

Great, i'll see what works best for me then. thanks for the tip:)

Never had sfeeha before it looks great.

Sfeeha is awesome. But I always thought it was distinct from the Turkish "Lahmacun"

Lahmacun:
Lahmacun.jpg

Sfeeha
Lebanese-Meat-Pie-Mamas-Lebanese-Kitchen2.jpg

Biggest difference in my view is the dough. Turkish is very thin.

NEO0MJ

Anyone here have any idea on how to best exerciser during this month? I feel it's impossible. During the day would be too exhausting and probably unhealthy, but I don't feel like moving an inch after iftar.

Linkhero1

Anyone here have any idea on how to best exerciser during this month? I feel it's impossible. During the day would be too exhausting and probably unhealthy, but I don't feel like moving an inch after iftar.

When I'm not sick I go for an hour to an hour and a half before iftar.

1-1.5 hours before iftar. Just take it easy though.

Either the hours are shorter (UK) or having more slow-releasing food, this Ramadan is going much easier for me.

Opening fast with dates and almonds in them is the best.

Tizoc

This is my kryptonite in every ramadan
keema-croquettes.jpg

I cannot get enough of this ToT

Eugh...Dates and Yoghurt is fine in my book as that's how I did it years ago, but no I just eat without Yoghurt since I used to be the only one who did that lol.

NEO0MJ

Personally I prefer to add even more sweetness to dates, such as with whipped cream. My favorite though are the dates encased in white chocolate, just so good.

Know it's recommended, but I can't really eat dates. Always break my fast with water. (think, but not sure about this, that salt is recommended too)

Just get a mini gag reflex every time after I nearly choked on a date pit/seed and had to spit it out. What sucks is I was able to eat a bunch before and really liked them

Even tried one out with no seed and had a similar problem

I have non-conventional iftars sadly - usually a cup of coffee and a slice of pizza by myself. I get home to an empty house - the wife (non-Muslim) and kid are are always out on summer playdates.

I miss having samosas, sprouted chick peas, dates and fresh lemonade for iftar and then going all out for stuff like haleem, pakoras, biryani, etc.

Kisaya

Know it's recommended, but I can't really eat dates. Always break my fast with water. (think, but not sure about this, that salt is recommended too)

Just get a mini gag reflex every time after I nearly choked on a date pit/seed and had to spit it out. What sucks is I was able to eat a bunch before and really liked them

I've never broken my fast with dates. I hate dates. So gross.

So this Ramadan has been really weird with me. I was antibiotics so I missed out on fasting the first 5-6 days, and it's kinda going to be annoying that I'm going to stop fasting at one point again because of that time of the month. So many missed days and I know I'm not going to make them up...

Since starting though I've been really bad with my fasting. I just have a small iftar and then I lose my appetite for the rest of the night. Today I broke my fast with just a bag of chips, and when I got home from work I had a smoothie and a granola bar. I don't get extremely hungry or thristy throughout the day, only in the last hour I'll get little antsy.

Blah, I hate having awful eating habits.

At this point I'm just getting a little frustrated and wondering if it's even worth continuing for the rest of the month. I'm really just doing it because waiting out to eat isn't hard for me, and also not to get on my family's bad side. It's just really sad that my heart isn't into this like it used to.

Get dates with almonds in them. Soooo good.

I love dates :( I always keep them in the freezer and take em out about 5 minutes before I eat em so theyre still nice and cool but not super soft.

Tizoc

You guys do know you can make dates into a thick paste like dish? We have 2 types of dates whenever we have futoor: The normal ones with the seeds in them, and the other paste-like seed-less one.
The paste-like can be heated up and tastes good, though I personally prefer regular dates.

I've never broken my fast with dates. I hate dates. So gross.

So this Ramadan has been really weird with me. I was antibiotics so I missed out on fasting the first 5-6 days, and it's kinda going to be annoying that I'm going to stop fasting at one point again because of that time of the month. So many missed days and I know I'm not going to make them up...

Since starting though I've been really bad with my fasting. I just have a small iftar and then I lose my appetite for the rest of the night. Today I broke my fast with just a bag of chips, and when I got home from work I had a smoothie and a granola bar. I don't get extremely hungry or thristy throughout the day, only in the last hour I'll get little antsy.

Blah, I hate having awful eating habits.

At this point I'm just getting a little frustrated and wondering if it's even worth continuing for the rest of the month. I'm really just doing it because waiting out to eat isn't hard for me, and also not to get on my family's bad side. It's just really sad that my heart isn't into this like it used to.

That's a result of your stomach contracting throughout the day and the barely hungry till the last hour thing also applies to me majorly (and any others, based off of what I've seen)

Anyways, for me, these days I'm typically eating naan with khourma, a lot
I typically either have some sort of salan or kheemah in my iftars for the past few days

Sehri will be an omelette, an egg or two, a few small croissants, a banana or two, etc.
Go with either toast, parata, or tortillas

Some mixture of that.
Personally, I've found that I should get 1-2 full glasses of water to satisfy me

NEO0MJ

You guys do know you can make dates into a thick paste like dish? We have 2 types of dates whenever we have futoor: The normal ones with the seeds in them, and the other paste-like seed-less one.
The paste-like can be heated up and tastes good, though I personally prefer regular dates.

We use that paste in making Ma'amoul, so good.

Linkhero1

I never had dates alone until this year. They always looked weird to me but I love them. I've had date filled sweets such as mamool before so I knew what to expect with my first date this year.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bloody hell stop posting photos of delicious foods you jerks.

It's hard already without me salivating on seeing drool-worthy foods that I can't find where I live ://///

Then just don't do it.

You're wasting time otherwise, since all you'll get is just the feeling of hunger and thirst without all the extra benefits if you don't believe in it.

I have done peanut butter and date sandwiches

Bretty good

Kisaya

Well, up to you obviously, although with the way you worded your concern earlier a "peace of mind" is a weird term to use.

Well how do you think a practicing Muslim family would react if their daughter decided to skip out on Ramadan?

What about the assholes that see a girl in a hijab getting something to eat in public?

That's the headache I'm trying to avoid.

I've been sleeping until 6 or 7 pm every day, fasting has been no problem for me this month! #ramadanhacks
c3ed7b23.gif

Well my timings are that after Suhoor (closes at around 4:20am), offer prayer and sleep for around 4hrs and wake up for work.

Come back and then sleep and wake up directly for futoor.

YaGaMi

Well how do you think a practicing Muslim family would react if their daughter decided to skip out on Ramadan?

What about the assholes that see a girl in a hijab getting something to eat in public?

That's the headache I'm trying to avoid.

You're gonna get those asshole types, just ignore it.

Do you choose to wear a hijab or is it because of family pressure?

I urge all the Muslims here to tell their mosques to start performing the Qunoot du'aa in Fajr. If you pray Fajr at home, you can perform Qunoot in Fajr salah individually. Insha Allah this will hasten the relief for our brothers and sisters in Palestine.

This is the du'aa: http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/3239/scanjs6.jpg

(Shafi'i brothers probably already perform this in their Fajr salah)

I urge all the Muslims here to tell their mosques to start performing the Qunoot du'aa in Fajr. If you pray Fajr at home, you can perform Qunoot in Fajr salah individually. Insha Allah this will hasten the relief for our brothers and sisters in Palestine.

This is the du'aa: http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/3239/scanjs6.jpg

(Shafi'i brothers probably already perform this in their Fajr salah)

I try to pray for them after every Salah. May Allah help those poor people. The joyous month of Ramadan has turned into blood, death and sorrow for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom