• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

a1WTiAv.png

Iceland is forever hardcore mode.

australia ftw

vareon

I wish I could have some of those wonderful middle eastern foods for suhoor. Years of eating rice is getting boring.

dont think I'll be able to make taraweeh prayers since the masjid here starts isha at 10:45, which means it'll be like 1 when I get back home. I'll probably try on friday/sats

MegaMelon

dont think I'll be able to make taraweeh prayers since the masjid here starts isha at 10:45, which means it'll be like 1 when I get back home. I'll probably try on friday/sats

That sucks man. I'm fortunate enough to have a mosque 30 seconds from my house. Although with college it means surviving on 3 hours of sleep at best haha

So, just a quick FYI, I don't know much about Islamic Culture or Ramadan, but I'm gonna fast with a muslim friend of mine on wednesday or thursday (or both). He invited me to his house and he told me that his mother is pretty religious, so what do I have to know? Any pointers?

BTW: I live in Vienna, Austria, he said the time you could eat is from about 9:30 p.m. till 2:30 a.m., but what can I do in the meantime. Am I allowed to drink water for instance? And again, sorry for the possibly stupid questions, just like I said, I don't know a lot about islamic culture.

So, just a quick FYI, I don't know much about Islamic Culture or Ramadan, but I'm gonna fast with a muslim friend of mine on wednesday or thursday (or both). He invited me to his house and he told me that his mother is pretty religious, so what do I have to know? Any pointers?

BTW: I live in Vienna, Austria, he said the time you could eat is from about 9:30 p.m. till 2:30 a.m., but what can I do in the meantime. Am I allowed to drink water for instance? And again, sorry for the possibly stupid questions, just like I said, I don't know a lot about islamic culture.

Muslims refrain from eating and drinking, but since you don't have to you can fast how you want. Make sure though as other people pointed out that you eat properly before starting because it will get rough if you don't plan ahead, especially when starting out. As for going to his house, I would say just try to dress casually. Idk about shorts/shirts with slogans.

What should typically happen is that they'll break fast at sunset, then pray, then eat dinner. That's all I can think of on top of my head

Muslims refrain from eating and drinking, but since you don't have to you can fast how you want. Make sure though as other people pointed out that you eat properly before starting because it will get rough if you don't plan ahead, especially when starting out. As for going to his house, I would say just try to dress casually. Idk about shorts/shirts with slogans.

What should typically happen is that they'll break fast at sunset, then pray, then eat dinner. That's all I can think of on top of my head

Ok, thanks. Actually I don't think the actual fasting will be too hard for me because I'm still in university, so I don't have to work, I normally wake up around noon and don't eat till about 8 p.m. anyway. I just don't want to offend anyone. I should probably call him before and ask him a few more details as I guess some things vary from household to household.

EDIT: By far the biggest problem will be cigarettes. But I'll make it.

Ok, thanks. Actually I don't think the actual fasting will be too hard for me because I'm still in university, so I don't have to work, I normally wake up around noon and don't eat till about 8 p.m. anyway. I just don't want to offend anyone. I should probably call him before and ask him a few more details as I guess some things vary from household to household.

oh yea smoking is not allowed. You probably won't offend anybody unless you deliberately try

oh yea smoking is not allowed. You probably won't offend anybody unless you deliberately try

Well, that's good to know. Actually I'm kinda looking forward to it. He's a good friend of mine and I never met his parents, but everybody who has been to his house says that his mother is one hell of a cook. Just don't know yet what I'll do when they pray. I'm an atheist so that will be kinda awkward for me.

Wait, you wake up noon (which is fine), but you dont eat till 8?

Blasphemy!

It's haleem. High in protein and fat, keeps you satisfied throughout the day... but watch out for those onion burps in Taraweeh.
I like haleem more in the winter session :p

We got jilapis today yummm!!!!!

Jilapi and onion bhaji eaten together is something else

man making food 30 minutes before iftar is crazy. There were multiple times i was about to lick/taste stuff out of habit. Don't know how my mom did it for so long lol

Second Day finished. Hasn't been that Hard hamdullah. I love the Ramadan mood over here in Denmark. The main street of my neighbourhood is full of people at 1-2.AM taking a walk after breaking fast and the mosque are filled with people young and old.

I'll upload some pics of our new Mosque in Denmark as soon as I get home. Truly is a sight to behold.

Edit:

Second Day finished. Hasn't been that Hard hamdullah. I love the Ramadan mood over here in Denmark. The main street of my neighbourhood is full of people at 1-2.AM taking a walk after breaking fast and the mosque are filled with people young and old.

I'll upload some pics of our new Mosque in Denmark as soon as I get home. Truly is a sight to behold.

Edit:

Fancy.

Have you tried taking headache pills at sehri ?
It was my fault. I foolishly skipped chai thinking I can wing it. Lesson learned. Having a cup right now. But I will take some pills at sehri just to be safe.
Mmmmmm

I love Boolani during Ramadan <3

mvw3pcF.png

That looks yum. What is it?
man making food 30 minutes before iftar is crazy. There were multiple times i was about to lick/taste stuff out of habit. Don't know how my mom did it for so long lol
I have heard/read in multiple places that you are allowed to taste while cooking, and it doesn't invalidate your fast.

Edit:

Your pics aren't showing :(

I miss the festive atmosphere from back home too.

Kraftwerk

That looks yum. What is it?

Afghanistan Boolani. It's basically bread with potatoes in between or vegetables depending how you like it. You should find it in any city really, if there is an Afghani restaurant. I know you can get it in India and Pakistan too.

It's so simple, but tastes incredible. Bread is so damn soft..mmmmm

Didn't even feel it today. I woke up and ate at 3:45. Tried to sleep after but couldn't. Ended up just going to work at 7 and leaving at 4. It seriously went by so fast. Usually I'm starving by noon and I need to eat by 1 but I didn't even feel it at work. Literally sat at my desk for 8 hours lol. Good thing I have a lot of work to keep me busy.

Kraftwerk

Yes I do. I'm also quitting tobacco and completely attempting to go without alcohol for the whole month. At least cutting back on it by a great amount.

Woah, that sounds exactly like what I am planning on doing. I have really cut back on smoking. I am at smoking once every 5 days or so, but want to get rid of it completely. Also cutting back on sugars and other unhealthy stuff.

Best of luck.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Woah, that sounds exactly like what I am planning on doing. I have really cut back on smoking. I am at smoking once every 5 days or so, but want to get rid of it completely. Also cutting back on sugars and other unhealthy stuff.

Best of luck.
Best of luck to you as well.

The fasting is so much better without the headache. I promise to never skip a chai again. Also, falling asleep after Isha feels heavenly. I am ashamed to say I haven't gone to taraweeh yet, but I can only imagine how better it would falling asleep after a day of fasting followed by taraweeh.

Since you're not fasting for religious reasons, I would still recommend that you try to stay hydrated with water for health reasons, even though that would constitute breaking your fast usually.
The fasting is so much better without the headache. I promise to never skip a chai again.
The caffeine withdrawal would probably kill me.

Afghanistan Boolani. It's basically bread with potatoes in between or vegetables depending how you like it. You should find it in any city really, if there is an Afghani restaurant. I know you can get it in India and Pakistan too.

It's so simple, but tastes incredible. Bread is so damn soft..mmmmm
Sounds like perfect iftar meal. Sadly, the closest Afghan restaurant is 15 miles away. Will definitely get it when I am out in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom