• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, some ideas for healthy delicious iftar meals?

I usually have traditional desi stuff like samosas, dalpuri, porota etc. but I've been doing great losing weight so far and I want to keep that up. Thinking of going straight up salad + grilled chicken kebabs and some fruits.

I've become so dependent on caffeine these days, I dont know how I'm going to make it through the work day without it. I'll find a way I GOT THISSSSS

ZiZ

Ramadhan Mubarak brothers and sisters

tumblr_n7vqvjV2w11s9j1q5o1_1280.png

(found this today, some of them are pretty funny http://superhanallah.tumblr.com/)

Congrats to all of you who had their first roza :) We are next. Tonight's going to be first Taraweeh for us. andherewego.gif
Guys, some ideas for healthy delicious iftar meals?

I usually have traditional desi stuff like samosas, dalpuri, porota etc. but I've been doing great losing weight so far and I want to keep that up. Thinking of going straight up salad + grilled chicken kebabs and some fruits.

I've become so dependent on caffeine these days, I dont know how I'm going to make it through the work day without it. I'll find a way I GOT THISSSSS
I'm sure there are many people here that can offer a healthier desi variety in food. My rule is to not have the same stuff every day. For example, I will have a couple samosas today, but I will have dahi vade the next, and something else the other.

I will advise everyone here one thing do. After breaking the fast, make sure you drink water like there's no tomorrow! You are at risk of developing kidney stones because of dehydration, followed by fried and salty food and caffeine in the form of chai/coffee afterwards (which dehydrates your body even more!). DRINK LOTSA WATER.

Tizoc

Over here Ramadan starts on the 29th, which is the same for KSA.
Oddly enough our usual Mosque will be starting the Evening Prayer 15 minutes after the adhan, usually they start like 25-30 minutes after.

Ramadan Kareem everyone.

Tomorrow is our first day fasting, I hope I --all of us-- manage to accomplish more this Ramadan and get even closer to Allah.

Have fun my friends.

The thing about Ramadan that always upsets me is when people I know around me then start feasting every night, the second they get a chance to. Just spits on the face of everything it stands for

The thing about Ramadan that always upsets me is when people I know around me then start feasting every night, the second they get a chance to. Just spits on the face of everything it stands for

Yeah. Even during suhoor you have people who stuff themselves silly so that they won't feel hunger during the day.

I mean, that's kind of the point.

L.O.R.D

i am ready...i hope
its 40 C here in saudi arabia
and most what i do in the morning is getting up and search for jobs in that weather

Some more Fasting tips. Please add if you guys feel like it.

Suhoor.
1. Do not eat fried food of any variety. Halal KFC is a big no no.
2. Do not eat high-carb foods such as rice, pasta, spaghetti and noodles.
3. Do not drink coffee. It will dehydrate your body before you begin your fast. If you MUST have a hot beverage, a small cup of tea should suffice.
4. Avoid adding too much salt in your food (sorry desi bros). Salt also removes excess water from your cells, and again you are setting up for dehydration.
5. Eat protein rich diet like eggs, meat, wheat bread (roti) and also have milk.
6. Also start your suhoor with dates, as it is sunnah.

L.O.R.D

Suhoor.

i was gonna say that
a lot of people in my place go to KFC , Baik , MacDonalds for the Suhoor
and what worse , this restorant stay open till fajer
and people still eating and drink Pepsi

i would avoid drinking any soft drink for Suhoor, you will feel very thirty after 5 minutes

Always have wondered what kind of rules muslims living in northern countries have regarding Ramadan. For example here in Finland in northest point of the country sun goes down next time July 27th (and even then only for something like 20 minutes). That would be pretty long fasting lol.

Tizoc

Rather interested in seeing images of Futoor from countries like Turkey. I saw some last year that were very beautiful with tables lining the road.

Always have wondered what kind of rules muslims living in northern countries have regarding Ramadan. For example here in Finland in northest point of the country sun goes down next time July 27th (and even then only for something like 20 minutes). That would be pretty long fasting lol.

Three options that have been put forward by different scholars:
1. Follow the local time but if it is not possible, follow the time of the nearest city where sunsets and dawns can be discerned.
2. Follow the time of the closest Muslim country.
3. Follow the time of Makkah.

MegaMelon

If you mean practically having diinner when breaking their fast I can relate. Really just a few dates and water to break the fast then eat dinner or whatever after Maghrib is the best way to go.

If you mean practically having diinner when breaking their fast I can relate. Really just a few dates and water to break the fast then eat dinner or whatever after Maghrib is the best way to go.

yea that's how we did it. Eat a bit before, pray, eat dinner, then head out to the masjid. Pretty much had to get any work done before iftar since nothing could get done afterwards haha

Bold One

Best of luck for Ramadan guys,

its gonna be rough here in the UK,

its the no water part that makes it harsh, hopefully if I'm still working from home by month's end it will be bearable. Games and Tv should take my mind off things.

Plus fasting is good for you on occasion, or so I hear

L.O.R.D

Dang...

Last time we had it, it all got cold and soggy because we made the mistake of buying a tray in Yanbu and then driving to the Badr graveyard before starting to eat on our way to Makkah.

then you should see the people that come to al madina with suburban and buy 50 meals and drive back to riyadh and sell them
that almost 7-8 hours

What's the best time to workout during Ramadan? Right after sehri, 1 hour before breaking fast, or one hour after breaking fast?

In my experience, 1 hour before breaking fast. You just have to take it easier than usual (obviously).

Also, 1 hr left on this fast. Not too bad. Glad weekend was first.

ZiZ

What's the best time to workout during Ramadan? Right after sehri, 1 hour before breaking fast, or one hour after breaking fast?

I've heard that a light workout like jogging is best an hour before breaking fast because your blood sugar is low so your body will metabolize fat.

But I'm no expert and neither is the guy I heard this from, so take it with a grain of salt.

Zapages

Ramadan Mubarak guys.

For Sehari I have either meat or lentils dish with a roti. On top of that 3 large glasses of water and a cup of milk.

For Iftari usually either meat or lentils dish with a roti. Some pakuras/somas (1), water, start out with a date, and some fruits.

Suhoor.
3. Do not drink coffee. It will dehydrate your body before you begin your fast. If you MUST have a hot beverage, a small cup of tea should suffice.
4. Avoid adding too much salt in your food (sorry desi bros). Salt also removes excess water from your cells, and again you are setting up for dehydration.
5. Eat protein rich diet like eggs, meat, wheat bread (roti) and also have milk.

Thanks for the tips! Can you explain #2? What's wrong with high-carb foods?

Just got through the first day, twas tiring more than I expected. Gluck to everyone else for the upcoming days.

Suhoor.

Good tips, thanks for this. I remember somewhere eating boiled potatoes is good for lasting through the day, not sure on that though.

Ashes

Banned
I think its because they convert to fats… If you are not going to use them up.

Except you will [use them up] because you are not consuming calories throughout the day. ;/

Stuff like pasta and rice are good for fasting in my opinion because they are slow releasing energy food* in lay man terms, right?

It's why some marathon runners have pasta night on the eve of a race.

*Google complex carbohydrates for more info.

P44

Best to eat fat/protein's for fasting. Slower for your body to break them down than carborhydrates - as long as you make sure to eat the fat too (energy source in lieu of a carb heavy diet). Sure that won't be too tricky with the copious amounts of ghee on everything :p

Tizoc

Just had futoor and for the firsy time in as long as I can remember, it was very light, like the lightest first day futoor I've had in years lol.

Anon67

Suhoor.

Well, crap. I love rice. Trying to reduce my carbs, though I gotta have some rice, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom