• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie is the main playable character in The Last of Us: Part II

It'd be funny if Ellie learn how to play guitar before learning to swim lol. Also I'll be pissed if she lost her knife somehow between games.

This thread is going about as well as I expected. Those upset about having to play as a girl...you could always simply...not play the fucking game.

really interesting that ellie and clementine from the walking dead have nearly same character development in a nearly same world. female leads are on fire this generation.

Squalor

This thread is going about as well as I expected. Those upset about having to play as a girl...you could always simply...not play the fucking game.
But, obviously, playing as a puny, weak girly-girl character means something about my masculinity and gender identity or something like that.

MartyStu

I saw comments at YouTube asking if you'd still be able to play as Nate in the Chloe DLC and that you should have the option to play as male or female. Lollllll.

I love how people are all about options when the protagonist is female.

Lime

I guess it's ironic that Joel was an example of fragile possessive men who have to have everyone around them cater to their wishes and desires, and then we have plenty of examples of this in this thread (and elsewhere).

Shredderi

Me and my friend were gushing over the panel and then they drop this bomb and we're super excited! It makes so much sense: part 1 was Joel's story and it was a good one. Now it's time to close the book by telling Ellie's story. Ellie is such a wonderful character as well. This turned out to be better than I expected.

Im going to miss playing as Joel. I love the dad power and forcing someones neck to shards of glass. He just felt so powerful and masculine. I absolutely loved Joel's demeanour and "tired of this shit" attitude.

Im up for Ellie, but I always loved LoU for Joel's story. Would love an inverse of the first game and play as him too for a bit, because the big thing I loved about LoU was the weightiness of everything. A big part of that is because of Joel and the guns.

I'm guessing while Joel's combat was rough and strong, Ellie will be fast and furious. I'm kind of already disgusted at the thought of a knife sliding in and out of a throat, which isn't something Joel really did. I can see Ellie shanking dudes with blind fury.

I still remember the first game making me so uncomfortable. I still wonder if there will female enemies. People like Tess were awesome, and I wanted to see more of her.

jonjonaug

Might be a minor thing, but I want the ability to drag and hide bodies (like MGS2)

I also don't want a lot of those water puzzle games from the first game.

ND's probably just going to put one in the game. Joel will go "this sure brings back memories" and Ellie will go "Joel, shut up" and that'll be the end of it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Guys let's play a game of guess the closet gamergater.
Blame male feminism. Its ruined the gaming industry. I don't think I have to mention any names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuLhznkEAg

why can't we have a choice playing as a male or a female? You want to have an empowering female lead you can play Tomb raider. Half the reason people loved The last of us is because of the visceral combat of playing as joel. Which btw was the main character.
^
I think I have the answer.

But, obviously, playing as a puny, weak girly-girl character means something about my masculinity and gender identity or something like that.
Ellie's hands in that trailer are probably manlier than the hands of dudes complaining about having to play as a woman.
tWcFaBu.gif

"Not visceral enough and too little testorone. Ugh I can't possibly relate, male feminists just want to get laid."

JackelZXA

Prediction: Joel is falling apart and you have to leave him behind at some point, not during a battle, just while walking down the road he collapses.

Prediction: Joel is falling apart and you have to leave him behind at some point, not during a battle, just while walking down the road he collapses.

Ah, fuck, I hope not, that would be too much. I'm not prepared for that now and I won't be prepared for it when the game releases.

Crossing Eden

He just got himself a nice, new tag.
The ironic part is he already had that tag, and now he's just showing his ass for everyone to see all over having to play as a woman in a video game. Really, THAT'S the thing you have an issue with? While also bitching about how "male feminism ruins the gaming industry" and linking to a video saying that male feminists just want to get laid.

Gaz_RB

I'm already dreading all the bad shit that's going to happen to my favorite characters.

That same pit in my stomach that I get through my first playthrough of TLOU... I thought it was over :(

Sounds like a triple A version of Lisa the Joyful though I am sure that comparatively speaking it will not be nearly as dark

If Ellie is the main playable character I bet you play as another new character at the beginning who dies, and then the game ends with you playing as another character analogous to said first character.

A framing device like how Sarah was the first character you play as, and Ellie was the last one you play as.

So will we play as said new character? No, Naughty Dog will tell us.

We totally will.

Just my thoughts on making Ellie the main playable character. Super excited that they decided to continue in this direction. Hopefully Nolan North will put on another amazing performance. Hopefully one that lasted longer than David.

Shredderi

I don't get the hate towards Joel. It was shown very well why is what he is. In the context of THAT world he was pretty ordinary: always looking out for number one. That's how I base my moral alignment with him: to the context of his situation.

I'm already dreading all the bad shit that's going to happen to my favorite characters.

That same pit in my stomach that I get through my first playthrough of TLOU... I thought it was over :(

There is no way they both survive again, and that's why I dont want to play as them again :'(

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
A main female lead on a AAA game. Oh the comments will be delicious.

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting my post.

There will be lots of crying about the fact that its a female lead, is what I meant. I don't get it either, but there will.

I assume you like to see people get banned for saying stupid shit. Every time I see gender discussion, it's a graveyard in such threads.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Ashley Johnson was fantastic as Ellie, so I'm very much hyped for this where she's the main character. Can't wait to hear what zingers she has in store for TLOU II!

Ashley Johnson was fantastic as Ellie, so I'm very much hyped for this where she's the main character. Can't wait to hear what zingers she has in store for TLOU II!

There are no zingers. She's an angsty and angry young adult who plays Linkin Park on her guitar

Crossing Eden

I assume you like to see people get banned for saying stupid shit. Every time I see gender discussion, it's a graveyard in such threads.
I mean if you're gonna be posting Milo's shit while complaining about men being feminists you'd be much more welcome on kotakuinaction or voat instead of a progressive forum, because no one here likes assholes. Ellie is literally singing after having killed a bunch of people with fresh wounds and somehow this won't be visceral, Joel hasn't done anywhere near this metal.
ellie9uszs.png

I mean I liked playing as Joel a lot more than Ellie in the first game, I liked being able to melee my way out of situations and how big & burly he was, but this is a new game and Ellie being the main character is what I've wanted for years and I'm sure she'll be fun to play.

Yea I guess males can only relate if she's 40 specifically and gruff, but can somehow relate to a motherfucking anime schlock prince who dresses like a 13 year old's idea of cool while he chases his boring as hell childhood friend pen pal who has no personality.

Zinger.

You're hilarious

I mean I liked playing as Joel a lot more than Ellie in the first game, I liked being able to melee my way out of situations and how big & burly he was, but this is a new game and Ellie being the main character is what I've wanted for years and I'm sure she'll be fun to play.

I hope I can still piggyback enemies and rodeo-shank them

rtcn63

Yea I guess males can only relate if she's 40 specifically and gruff, but can somehow relate to a motherfucking anime schlock prince who dresses like a 13 year old's idea of cool while he chases his boring as hell childhood friend pen pal who has no personality.

1496-270884.jpg

What possible motivation does she have for killing Joel, exactly? "He wouldn't let me get cut up by idiots who were shooting in the dark for a vaccine"? Dumb.

Can't see him becoming abusive toward his surrogate daughter either. Why is the first instinct "oh that guy in the doorway MUST be an imaginary friend of a 19 year old" as well? Way too early for jumping to these big conclusions.

Crossing Eden

Zinger.

You're hilarious
Oh please tell me more about the personality of Luna, and do not read this if you don't wanna be spoiled,
who gets fridged and her last scene in the game is literally crying about being thirsty as hell for Noctis
. She's absolutely boring and a borderline accessory to Noctis both of whom would be forgotten about if not for the context of Square turning vaporware into a mainline game. Noctis's outfit is LITERALLY ten years old and the game is supposed to be contemporary and set in the modern day with some fantasy elements. You relate to fashion that is literally outdated by ten years yet can't relate o a 19 year old woman simply because she's a woman?

Can't wait for TLoU2, 2019 is toooo long. I only hope Ellie is brutal as all fuck and ND doesn't play the stereotypical "women are compassionate" angle with her.

I would hope they could achieve some middle ground between "brutal as all fuck" and "stereotypical women are compassionate"

Top Bottom