• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain boss: Nintendo might announce a new DS model at E3 '08

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I think i am the only person in earth still using a fat DS :D

Looking to see if that new model is worth me paying full price for it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I would bite and buy an new DS lite if they did a couple of things.

1. Made the console more reliable, as in no more damn hinge cracks
2. Made the buttons better
3. Added WPA support for online play
4. Improved battery life to 20 hours

Neo C.

santouras said:
They could add accelerometers, multi-touch, two touch screens, more power. I definitely think an accelerometer is the logical next step for DS, it would really increase the game potential
I think he asked about improvement of a redesign. Your list contains stuff for the DS2. :)

Even for a redesign, there are plenty things to improve, for example less power consumption, brighter screens, better material (metal shell) etc. Though it's hard to present a redesign with significant improvement in a reasonable price range.

NotWii

Banned
Seeing how there's barely any major Nintendo titles scheduled for the DS for a while.
They should just announce a DS2, it's been almost 5 years now.

Give us:
- WPA/WPA2 Support
- Upgradable firmware
- 512MB-1GB Flash Memory + SD Card
- Built in Browser
- Built in Media Player functions
- Virtual Handheld/Console
- Built in Rumble Pak/Gyroscopes
- Nicer 3D Hardware (PLEASE HAVE TEXTURE FILTERING)
- Totally revamped WFC service without friend codes (LOL)
- Maybe TV Out?

And give us these launch titles:
- Metroid 2.5D
- Mother 1+2+3 DS
- F-Zero DS w/ Track Editor
- Smash Brothers DS

Kandrick said:
I think i am the only person in earth still using a fat DS :D
Don't forget me!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A module point for a GBA slot -OR- a flash drive with multimedia capabilities, would be sex.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Wii said:
Don't forget me!

:D

Yeah, i hope this new model if confirmed, is actually good enough to make me want to get it, i skipped the DS lite, so im more enclined to buy that new one. If it does ever come out.

zallaaa

Tobor said:
Built in flash storage and a DS online store. That's all it needs.

Screw the (normal) retail; set up lots of DS Stations where you can download games via credit or pre-paid cards and enable the same through the Wii, then lower the price! Build some kind of highly-encrypted NAS where you can store you downloaded games (Wii compatible of course!)

Hcoregamer00

Wii said:
Seeing how there's barely any major Nintendo titles scheduled for the DS for a while.

Give us:
- WPA/WPA2 Support
- Upgradable firmware
- 512MB-1GB Flash Memory + SD Card
- Built in Browser
- Built in Media Player functions
- Virtual Handheld/Console
- Built in Rumble Pak/Gyroscopes
- Nicer 3D Hardware (PLEASE HAVE TEXTURE FILTERING)
- Totally revamped WFC service without friend codes (LOL)

And give us these launch titles:
- Metroid 2.5D
- Mother 1+2+3 DS
- F-Zero DS w/ Track Editor
- Smash Brothers DS

Don't forget me!

We are talking about a hardware refinement, the DS is going nowhere.

Yes Boss!

Wii said:

More like 3 1/2 years. With the first year all but avoided by most folks, the gaming press and anybody "cool".

Really I'm not expecting a DS2 till fall 2009 at the earliest. Of course, that gives one more shot at a revamp this year. It worked wonders for the PSP and I reckon Ninetendo will follow suit.

Raide

Handheld Wii. Use all the old DS games, connection to Wii so you can download your VC stuff, Opera net browser etc.

Either that or a Wii remote with a screen on it :lol :lol

ethelred

Wii said:

How the hell has it been almost five years? It hasn't even been four, and I'm really baffled at people who want to kill it off and reset the dev clock.

Anyone who is saying that

A) This will be an entirely new handheld
B) That this redesign, should it occur, would result in the dropping of the GBA slot

are completely off your rockers.

Hcoregamer00

ethelred said:
How the hell has it been almost five years? It hasn't even been four, and I'm really baffled at people who want to kill it off and reset the dev clock.

Exactly, and the best stuff is yet to come.

I don't see Nintendo considering releasing ANY form of information until Sony mentions that they will announcing a PSP2 of some kind. Considering that PSP produces so much money, Sony would be crazy to drop the PSP in favor of a successor.

Which means it would be in both Sony and Nintendo's best interest not to announce a new handheld for a while.

Yes Boss!

Pureauthor said:
Anyone who is saying that

A) This will be an entirely new handheld
B) That this redesign, should it occur, would result in the dropping of the GBA slot

are completely off your rockers.

Pureauthor, I love the GBA back compat, rumble, Taito Paddle support, and (perhaps) the upcoming Guitar Hero support, but what makes you think Nintendo won't drop it? really makes no sense since GBA is pretty much dead and companies are already making most GBA-style games (Shiren, as one) entirely as DS software.

ksamedi

santouras said:
They could add accelerometers, multi-touch, two touch screens, more power. I definitely think an accelerometer is the logical next step for DS, it would really increase the game potential

I don't really see how a accelerometer would add to the DS.

jarrod said:
Actually, that's most what I'd like to see maybe... internal 512MB flash drive, drop the GBA slot for a slimmer shell, DS Channels (Weather, Opera, News, etc), online Pictochat and a Virtual Handheld (GB/C, GBA, GG,NGP/C, WS/C, etc) service. And a pony while we're at it. <3 <3

I would definitly be interested in something like that, the GBA slot could be used to upgrade the old DSses with flash memory.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ethelred said:
Hopefully if Nintendo releases one it gets completely destroyed by the PSP and teaches the company a lesson.
200px-J_Walter_Weatherman_-_AD.jpg

"And that's why you don't release constant redesigns."

Hcoregamer00

Link said:

Wat

His comment was about making a successor to the GBA, I don't see how redesigns has anything to do with that comment.

ksamedi

ethelred said:

I'm baffled with this as well. Personally I would hope for a 10 year lifespan. I still think the DS has loads of potential for new ideas.

Hcoregamer00

ksamedi said:
I'm baffled with this as well. Personally I would hope for a 10 year lifespan. I still think the DS has loads of potential for new ideas.

The people hoping for a DS2 are just people who are irritated that the PSP has a huge graphical advantage and wants to make it smaller.

I guess they forget that when DS2 is announced with Gamecube-like graphics, the PSP2 will be announced that will be far more powerful than the PSP.

Valtor

Banned
How about this?

Announced E3 '08
Showed again E3 '09
Released Christmas '09

It would make for an OK life cycle of 5 years, would it not?

It would still probably end up like the PS2, selling way beyond after the launch of its successor. Question is, does Nintendo want that?

Yes Boss! said:
Pureauthor, I love the GBA back compat, rumble, Taito Paddle support, and (perhaps) the upcoming Guitar Hero support, but what makes you think Nintendo won't drop it? really makes no sense since GBA is pretty much dead and companies are already making most GBA-style games (Shiren, as one) entirely as DS software.

Coped verbatim from the Media-Create thread:

A console developer must never remove or add gaming functionality to redesigns of the same system, because it invariably pisses off people. If you add functionality, you piss off people who bought the system already. If you decrease functionality, you piss off people who are now wanting to buy the system, because they have to decide between two systems. And (most importantly) you piss off developers, who are now stuck looking between two systems that offer differing gameplay options, which means that if they develop for the system with greater functionality, they're selling to a capped fanbase, since the owners of the system with less functionality obviously could never buy their game.

JayDub

F#A#Oo said:
I love you Nintendo but...I hate your philosophy of continually changing your handhelds every couple/few of years...

I'll probably buy it even if it just makes the screen brighter or something stupid like that...

I think its great that Nintendo does what it needs to do to entice new customers to buy the DS, updating the design of the current crop of hardware without forcing the fans to wait for the "next gen" handheld.

Nintendo isn't making all future software incompatible with the older models, and there aren't that many design flaws with the current model, so what would be the harm in them refreshing their design other then you feeling inclined to buy every brand new hardware Nintendo releases?

tak

we don't need a new DS form factor, we need a DS with better build quality (hinges, yellow screen, etc... )

Yes Boss!

Pureauthor said:
Coped verbatim from the Media-Create thread:

Fair enough, I understand the reason not to splinter...just that the GBA slot has not been the most important (kinda like Pictochat) and would not be too missed. Personal opinion, of course (and i've got Space Invaders paddle).

Hcoregamer00

tak said:
we don't need a new DS form factor, we need a DS with better build quality (hinges, yellow screen, etc... )

QFT

If I know that they can make a handheld that is far more reliable than the present version, I would gladly shell out $130 on what is one of my favorite consoles ever made.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hcoregamer00 said:
Wat

His comment was about making a successor to the GBA, I don't see how redesigns has anything to do with that comment.
I couldn't think of anything fitting to add as a quote, so just went with that.

Pureauthor said:
What the hell happened here?
If you don't know, you've failed.

The next DS will get announced at next year's E3, there will not be any more redesigns of the current DS.

They can't improve on the DS Lite, GBA slot has to stay for the DS games that use it (Do you honestly think that they'd drop the compatability in the face of 11 million copies of Pokemon D/P that need the GBA slot?) and the screens can't be made any smaller as it would screw up touch screen gameplay.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nuclear Muffin said:
The next DS will get announced at next year's E3, there will not be any more redesigns of the current DS.

They can't improve on the DS Lite, GBA slot has to stay for the DS games that use it (Do you honestly think that they'd drop the compatability in the face of 11 million copies of Pokemon D/P that need the GBA slot?) and the screens can't be made any smaller as it would screw up touch screen gameplay.

Game Boy Micro

NotWii

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
We are talking about a hardware refinement, the DS is going nowhere.
I know that, BUT they should consider it, there's lots of things they could fix.

Yes Boss! said:
Really I'm not expecting a DS2 till fall 2009 at the earliest. Of course, that gives one more shot at a revamp this year. It worked wonders for the PSP and I reckon Ninetendo will follow suit.
It would work wonders for Nintendo to revamp the DS if the DSLite didn't exist yet :p

ethelred said:
I'm baffled at people who want to put up with ugly unfiltered textures and no WPA support!

ksamedi said:
I don't really see how a accelerometer would add to the DS
Say hello to the best GBA game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHm0-0-h2MA

Link said:

:lol

Nuclear Muffin said:

They can't improve on the DS Lite...

Ill explain the reasoning behind my speculation:

(slighty) Bigger screen = its better for old people

Digital tuner = they had a press release saying how well it was received

Built in opera browser = it broadens ds appeal and its already done

brighter screen

better battery life

better speaker

NotWii

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
The people hoping for a DS2 are just people who are irritated that the PSP has a huge graphical advantage and wants to make it smaller.
I would be content with the DS's visuals if it had texture filtering.

Everything looks nice and sharp if you don't use textures :p

ethelred

Saoh said:
4 years is just getting started?

For successful systems, yes. Especially when one considers that, first, it hasn't been four years yet, and second, things didn't fully get started for most developers until the DSL.

Starchasing said:
Ill explain the reasoning behind my speculation:

(slighty) Bigger screen = its better for old people

Digital tuner = they had a press release saying how well it was received

Built in opera browser = it broadens ds appeal and its already done

brighter screen

better battery life

better speaker

So it will have Bose speakers? Awesome.

Perdew

Wii said:
I hope they realised what a failure it was.

Was it? I thought they were just making money on the hardware for shits and giggles. Did it really bomb hard? (I played a lot of Gunstar Super Heroes on it, and FFIV, so I had fun)

NotWii

Banned
ethelred said:
For successful systems, yes. Especially when one considers that, first, it hasn't been four years yet, and second, things didn't fully get started for most developers until the DSL.
If that's true, why aren't there any games I want to play on DS for the rest of this year?
Apart from Perfect Prosecutor and Trauma Center 2

TylerPwnsYou1986 said:
So it will have Bose speakers? Awesome.

No, only better than the ones currently used

If that's true, why aren't there any games I want to play on DS for the rest of this year?

If you like NIntendo games you should wait for e3 , since Nintendo is showing whats up for the second half of the year

NotWii

Banned
Perdew said:
Was it? I thought they were just making money on the hardware for shits and giggles. Did it really bomb hard? (I played a lot of Gunstar Super Heroes on it, and FFIV, so I had fun)
It sold ok for a few months, then customers didn't care anymore.

If I recall correctly, the GBASP sold more consistently

Yes Boss!

Wii said:
It would work wonders for Nintendo to revamp the DS if the DSLite didn't exist yet :pl

Yeah, I know but the DS really did not become the phenom till the DS Lite. That is pretty much what most people define as the start of the DS craziness (or Nintendogs a few months earlier, you pick). if they were to revamp right now it would a similar timeline to the GBA-to-SP.

Top Bottom