• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Indie Sale (Wii U eShop, Europe, 9th July)

Simply put, the Wii U sucks. I don't wanna spend money on a game that'll sit on a system I don't like playing. I don't like the eShop, account system or the system overall. I'd happily buy Shantae on anything else but this.

But you can... On Steam.
Unless you mean for the sale price.

Vanguard

Was excited that I could finally get Shantae for a decent price, but then learnt I already need to own of the games on the list, but more importantly that it's a Wii U sale and not 3DS.

I REALLY need to read stuff more carefully :<, pretty decent sale too.

Oregano

None of which are worth my money :V
uNLESS there's a new set of discounted games?

The Ace Attorney games are on sale last I checked. They're pretty good.

This is about the sales starting this week. Aren't those the ones ending this week?

I don't think all of them end this week. My point was that the sales that get threads on GAF aren't the only ones going on.

More on-topic though I might pick up the first Trine game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So you would have to pass around the Wiimota aka. there is no game that needs you to use multiple Wiimotes at the same time ? Only have 2 Wiimotes right but been thinking of picking this up as a drinking game down the line.

I believe there are some that require 2 wiimotes but I can't remember offhand if any require 3/4, sorry.

jeffers

Nintendo takes the standard 30% cut but at least 15% of your maximum price (30% of half the price). So the more you discount above 50%, the less you get
For example, if your game costs 10€, Nintendo will at minimum take 1,5 €. If you decide to do a 70% of sale and price your game at 3€, you will only see 1,5€ instead of 2,1 that you would get if the standard 30% cut was in place. If you do 80% off, you will only see 0,5€. If you do a 90% sale you will actually lose money, lol.
Nintendo doesn't really believe in sales because they devalue games. Though given that NoA actually partnered with humble bundle, things might change.
Where did you get this info BTW?

SuomiDude

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (WayForward) - €2.00/£2.00 (Normally €5.00/£5.00)
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WayForward) - €3.99/£3.59 (Normally €9.99/£8.99)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WayForward) - €6.79/£6.39 (Normally €16.99/£15.99)
Trine Enchanted Edition (Frozenbyte) - €5.19/£4.39 (Normally €12.99/£10.99)
This is how you do great sales! Wii U is top notch on sales and that's why I have so many games for the system. Actually I have 4 of those games already, so for me there's not that many games to buy anymore, but even then Trine 1 is a must, Mighty Switch Forces and Shantae are strong maybies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I believe there are some that require 2 wiimotes but I can't remember offhand if any require 3/4, sorry.

Alright thanks - i should be fine with 2 Wiimotes then. Hope it is a fun as i imagine it to be heh....

Nintendo takes the standard 30% cut but at least 15% of your maximum price (30% of half the price). So the more you discount above 50%, the less you get
For example, if your game costs 10€, Nintendo will at minimum take 1,5 €. If you decide to do a 70% of sale and price your game at 3€, you will only see 1,5€ instead of 2,1 that you would get if the standard 30% cut was in place. If you do 80% off, you will only see 0,5€. If you do a 90% sale you will actually lose money, lol.
Nintendo doesn't really believe in sales because they devalue games. Though given that NoA actually partnered with humble bundle, things might change.

It doesnt matter what Nintendo believes in since developers decide the prices of their games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lucky I get back home from holiday just before this ends. Will try to remember to check it out when the time comes.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Simply put, the Wii U sucks. I don't wanna spend money on a game that'll sit on a system I don't like playing. I don't like the eShop, account system or the system overall. I'd happily buy Shantae on anything else but this.

Damn right. So funny and full of character. So enjoyable to play! Fun and easy co-op combo system too! Well worth buying!
Damn, what the WIIU do to you?

also

Banned
It doesnt matter what Nintendo believes in since developers decide the prices of their games.
Actually it does matter. The minimum cut and NoE (and NCL) not willing to participate in the humble bundle deal aside, Nintendo also needs to create a sales friendly environment. Cutting the price is just one part of a successful sale, you also need promotion and visibility. Nintendo could definitely be doing more in terms of themed sales.
Nintendo also has another restriction where after your sale ends you can't discunt the game for the same period of time that the sale lasted. For example if your sale lasts 2 weeks, you will have to wait 2 weeks after the end of the sale to be allowed to discount the game again.

Shantae may well be my birthday gift from myself this Thursday, though I think I'd rather have had the 3DS version in this case.
Third times the charm I hope, the previous 2 didn't grab me like I'd have expected them to.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Actually it does matter. The minimum cut and NoE (and NCL) not willing to participate in the humble bundle deal aside, Nintendo also needs to create a sales friendly environment. Cutting the price is just one part of a successful sale, you also need promotion and visibility. Nintendo could definitely be doing more in terms of themed sales.
Nintendo also has another restriction where after your sale ends you can't discunt the game for the same period of time that the sale lasted. For example if your sale lasts 2 weeks, you will have to wait 2 weeks after the end of the sale to be allowed to discount the game again.

Erm who said that NoE/NCL were against participating on the Humble Bundle promo ? They just couldnt work out the all details in time since it involved different eShops/ currency and publishers for the regions. Sony/MS also didnt have Humble Bundles yet, this doesnt mean they are against sales.

Having a sales restriction makes sense as a consumer protection...otherwise the game price could change every day and potential buyers would be irritated. The developer can decide for a permanent price drop at any point though. Some kind of consistency is expected from a console digital store front.

Minimum cut ? We had eShop titles being sold for 99 Cent - so i dont think thats an issue if a developers decides to go that low.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
While that quite likely is the case, I've seen games' (e.g. Trine2*) sales lasting for ages. So apparently that's not much of an issue for (some) devs.

* Frankly, I think I've seen that game more often on sale than going for its regular price.

also

Banned
Erm who said that NoE/NCL were against participating on the Humble Bundle promo ? They just couldnt work out the all details in time since it involved different eShops/ currency and publishers for the regions. Sony/MS also didnt have Humble Bundles yet, this doesnt mean they are against sales.

Having a sales restriction makes sense as a consumer protection...otherwise the game price could change every day and potential buyers would be irritated. The developer can decide for a permanent price drop at any point though. Some kind of consistency is expected from a console digital store front.

Minimum cut ? We had eShop titles being sold for 99 Cent - so i dont think thats an issue if a developers decides to go that low.
I recall the humble bundle guys saying that they tried to get NoE involved for months. You would think that they would be able to work something out if they were supportive of the idea. NoA had to deal with different currencies too. EU codes are also universal so it doesn't matter which country your NNID is tied to and it would be just a matter of adding another region.
Out of the 11 games included (Guacamelee!, Woah Dave! 3DS, Mighty Switch Force 3DS, Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones, SteamWorld Dig 3DS and Wii U, The Fall, OlliOlli, Moon Chronicles, Sportsball, Gunman Clive, Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Wii U) only Woah Dave! and Sportsball are trully problematic since they haven't been released in EU yet. This could be easily solved with a different game selection. Moon Chronicles also had a different publisher in the EU but I can't see why they wouldn't be able to reach an agreement.
True, MS and Sony haven't participated in a HB yet but their platforms are still more sales friendly and NoE hasn't done enough to compensate.

The minimum cut is % based and not absolute. Dropping from 1,99$ to 0,99$ is fine, dropping from 7,99$ to 0,99$ would actually make you lose money.

The minimum cut actually makes some sense from a consumer point of view, it means developers can't inflate their discounts (raise base price then do a bigger percentage sale) to make games look a better deal than they really are

jeffers

I recall the humble bundle guys saying that they tried to get NoE involved for months. You would think that they would be able to work something out if they were supportive of the idea. NoA had to deal with different currencies too. EU codes are also universal so it doesn't matter which country your NNID is tied to and it would be just a matter of adding another region.
Out of the 11 games included (Guacamelee!, Woah Dave! 3DS, Mighty Switch Force 3DS, Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones, SteamWorld Dig 3DS and Wii U, The Fall, OlliOlli, Moon Chronicles, Sportsball, Gunman Clive, Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Wii U) only Woah Dave! and Sportsball are trully problematic since they haven't been released in EU yet. This could be easily solved with a different game selection. Moon Chronicles also had a different publisher in the EU but I can't see why they wouldn't be able to reach an agreement.
True, MS and Sony haven't participated in a HB yet but their platforms are still more sales friendly and NoE hasn't done enough to compensate.

The minimum cut is % based and not absolute. Dropping from 1,99$ to 0,99$ is fine, dropping from 7,99$ to 0,99$ would actually make you lose money.

NoE tends to be better with promotions and deals, its pretty safe to guess it was a bureaucratic/internal-politics issue over NoE overtly objecting. Also having region specific HBs is much more a mess than just having it in one region.

edit: can also kind of respect the minimum cut scheme from a business sense.. if you deep discount your game maybe its just overpriced and you should permanently reduce it. And also what was said about not devaluing your game.

Robin64

Now live and, as noted above, America is part of the fun too.

epic-indie-sale-656x369.jpg

jholmes

I have almost everything in this sale except the Trine games (not my thing), Toki Tori 2 (nah), MSF2 (loved the original but the Wii U port looks a little lazy) and Shantae. Miiiiiight get Shantae. How long is it? It's like $9 in Canada. It looks good but if it's in that sweet spot in length that might be all it takes for me.

Everything is 60% off once you own one of the games in NA. Toki Tori is the best $2 choice.
Shantae is the best game offered IMO.

I have almost everything in this sale except the Trine games (not my thing), Toki Tori 2 (nah), MSF2 (loved the original but the Wii U port looks a little lazy) and Shantae. Miiiiiight get Shantae. How long is it? It's like $9 in Canada. It looks good but if it's in that sweet spot in length that might be all it takes for me.
Honestly, depending obviously on what type of game you like, you are missing out by dismissing Toki Tori 2. Great game with interesting mechanics and some nice puzzles.

Top Bottom