• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN - UFC notified of potential Brock Lesnar doping violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

No shit. I'm sure the UFC knew he would. The money is already made, and I'm sure this was always going to be a one time deal.

Acorn

Here we go with the guilty until proven innocent bullshit again.

Nobody other than a handful of people know what happened. Could have been something as simple as pot, since USADA see that as a bad drug which warrants a suspension from sport/s.

I'll wait for a second test, if Brock chooses to take that route, or more information from the first test before passing any judgement.
197nyeov6mq0wjpg.jpg

The Beard

How did Jon Jones get popped 3 or 4 days before the fight, but we're just now hearing about Brock? Isn't the whole point of the testing to make sure clean fighters aren't facing genetically modified freaks and potentially getting hurt?

If they would've dropped Brock from that fight also, that card would've been a major turd. Dana's head would've exploded.

ron_bato

Lol this isn't even the least bit surprising. Knew something was up when the ufc waived the 4 month testing period before reinstating Brock.

How did Jon Jones get popped 3 or 4 days before the fight, but we're just now hearing about Brock? Isn't the whole point of the testing to make sure clean fighters aren't facing genetically modified freaks and potentially getting hurt?

If they would've dropped Brock from that fight also, that card would've been a major turd. Dana's head would've exploded.

Brock's sample was taken 12 days later than Jones' on 28th June, it takes time.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!

Jones failed drug test was from June 16th, Brocks was on June 28th.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Didn't they specifically give him like a 4 month window for a pass on doping? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure everyone in the ufc was aware of this long before the fight was announced.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Didn't they specifically give him like a 4 month window for a pass on doping? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure everyone in the ufc was aware of this long before the fight was announced.

No. He has been tested extensively since he agreed to fight on UFC 200.

USADA doesn't test retired fighters so the 4 month rule is just to prevent a current fighter from "retiring", juicing up while they are "retired", and then coming out of retirement when they can piss clean.

Acorn

Why wouldn't you rather have clean fighters winning clean fights? MMA is going through growing pains of getting clean and that's a good thing.

If I want to see mutants fight eachother I've got xmen.

Someone in that Mark Hunt twitter feed mentioned guys have to forfeit a % of their purse for missing weight but not pissing hot? Seems dumb.

Who gets the money in the case of forfeit(i know it isn't happening but I'm curious)? UFC? Vegas? The opponent?

I don't think anything happens. Brock got $2.5 million just to fight, win or lose, I believe. There is sometimes win-bonuses but I'm not sure there was one in the case of the Brock/Hunt fight. Guys like Brock with star power are paid to show up, not to win.

If it were up to me, I don't see why it should be any different than missing weight. If you get popped for PEDs, you give up a certain percentage of your purse (50%?) to your opponent. That is, if the UFC and these commissions want to get serious about curbing PED usage, but they probably aren't. If Dana White and the UFC are mad at Brock and Jon Jones, it's not for using, it's for getting caught.

MY CLIENT

me too, but if UFC was vying for legitimacy, i imagine they've had to care

UFC would never ever evolve as a brand if PED's were accepted out in the open. It can't happen, everyone would go full blown Bob Sapp and the sport would die.

The NFL, MLB, etc are absolutely loaded in PED usage. The difference is those leagues have way less testing than USADA era UFC because they know it would hurt the sports greatly doing it.

UFC should have simply played ball the way they used to and one random dude would get popped per year.

I mean NFL is giant and the PED usage is beyond rampant. HGH specifically is a favorite

Acorn

The NFL, MLB, etc are absolutely loaded in PED usage. The difference is those leagues have way less testing than USADA era UFC because they know it would hurt the sports greatly doing it.

UFC should have simply played ball the way they used to and one random dude would get popped per year.

I mean NFL is giant and the PED usage is beyond rampant
Those sports were big pre steroids explosions therfore already are seen as "legitimate" rightly or wrongly. UFC was not and it's push to be recognised as an actual sport and not a carny act necessitated good testing regimes for the reputation of the sport.

Those sports were big pre steroids explosions therfore already are seen as "legitimate" rightly or wrongly. UFC was not and it's push to be recognised as an actual sport and not a carny act necessitated good testing regimes for the reputation of the sport.

I'm not convinced it's having any sort of positive effect. If anything I think it's hurting the brand. We are getting huge headlines on a consistent basis of star dudes popping and big fights falling it out.

I will not be surprised whatsoever if the new ownership start to slowly cut back on testing

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!

I mean NFL is giant and the PED usage is beyond rampant. HGH specifically is a favorite

It is more because they have strong Player Unions while UFC really can do whatever they want.

I mean the NFL has spent the past two years trying to suspend one of their biggest stars for 4 games while the MLB overstepped their bounds to get all the Biogenesis guys suspended including one of their biggest stars in Alex Rodriguez. I am pretty sure if they had the power UFC have they would have the best testing possible.

Acorn

I'm not convinced it's having any sort of positive effect. If anything I think it's hurting the brand. We are getting huge headlines on a consistent basis of star dudes popping and big fights falling it out.

I will not be surprised whatsoever if the new ownership start to slowly cut back on testing
You may be right about the owners. But getting rid of the testing regime is a terrible long term strategy if you want to be seen as anything other than roided up meat heads beating the shit out of eachother. Like a fancier world star.

It is more because they have strong Player Unions while UFC really can do whatever they want.

I mean the NFL has spent the past two years trying to suspend one of their biggest stars for 4 games while the MLB overstepped their bounds to get all the Biogenesis guys suspended including one of their biggest stars in Alex Rodriguez. I am pretty sure if they had the power UFC have they would have the best testing possible.

No doubt that the UFC'S sole ownership plays a big part in them being able to test so heavily (which if the fighters are intelligent they should take the UFC to court over)

But the reason those leagues are "going after" those guys is because it's now public and they are obligated by the public to go after them. The team owners, coaches, players etc are all aware 50% of the roster is on HGH and ok with it.

You may be right about the owners. But getting rid of the testing regime is a terrible long term strategy if you want to be seen as anything other than roided up meat heads beating the shit out of eachother. Like a fancier world star.

Do you feel ok watching roided up meat heads bashing the shit out of each other in the NFL?

zewone

Wut? That seems ridiculously high. Last I heard, he was getting like $3M.
That 2.5 million is just his disclosed purse. There are other agreements in place for big name fighters to get paid more. I know Conor made $10 million for either the Diaz or Aldo fight. But his disclosed purse wouldn't tell you that.

geardo

Love the people that are saying that the testing is the problem, and not the juiced up fuck heads who are ruining the sport. Fuck the whole thing. Nick and Nate have been right the whole fucking time.

Impossible! The Minnesota Swamp Monster is too good for things such as drugs.

I'm not too surprised if he gets popped. All I want to see is Econolesnar vs Econoreem, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom