• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethan of H3H3 retracts defamatory claims against WSJ writer (WSJ responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelas

Then how is he sympathizing? He was trying to prove that WSJ provided fake evidence to companies. Their action harmed content creators on YT and have previously misrepresented Pewdiepie. Where is the sympathizing for racists in all of this?

He's sympathizing by being extremely selective with the issues he's addressing involving his racist friends. He's going so far out of his way that he's resorting to lying/extremely sloppy investigating just so he can make their assailants look untrustworthy. To go that far to put your reputation on the line, while again completely ignoring the elephant in the room, he clearly has some sympathy and doesnt think their racist behavior is all that concerning.

If you say so. Unfortunate reality is young people trust figures like H3 more than they just major news outlets. I'll never forget how many people at Uni listened and believed GradeAUnderA saying Hillary will start World War 3. it is kinda sad in a lot of ways, yeah.

Yeah, see, I feel like an stereotypical old man (at age 31) worried about the next generation, but fucking hell, here I am feeling exactly like that.

The best part is that Ethan has evolved into Joey Salads.

h3h3 fan: "Cmon Internet, you KNOW this one is real."

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Pretty sure this is Ethan being stupid. Not checking sources properly etc and just being a flawed human being overall.

Joey Salads consciously tried to frame black people as violent. I don't personally draw parallels between those two actions.

Youtubers have gained a huge amount of influence, and will probably gain an even bigger amount of influence as generations go on. How exactly should they not be held to high standards? What standards are we talking about exactly, not spouting racism and bigotry? Not trying to deceive or mislead your audiences to attack other media sources because they called out your buddies on their bullshit? Letting racists and bigots defend themselves at the bare minimum instead of jumping to their defense every time? Are these considered high standards now? As of right now youtubers have zero standards, actually they are in the negative on standards.

My man, the word was 'higher' standards. Not 'high' standards. Of course people should be held to standards, man. We agree on that. But surely a dude with a camera in his living room shouldn't be held to the same standards as the Wall Street Journal. That's all I'm saying, man. Don't read any deeper into that. itsnotthatdeepofapoint

He's sympathizing by being extremely selective with the issues he's addressing involving his racist friends. He's going so far out of his way that he's resorting to lying/extremely sloppy investigating just so he can make their assailant's look untrustworthy. To go that far to put your reputation on the line, while again completely ignoring the elephant in the room, he clearly has some sympathy and doesnt their racist behavior is all that concerning..
It was a sloppy investigation, that's true. He'll only be lying if he doesn't retract his statement within the day (a reasonable amount of time, should be less).

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Pretty sure this is Ethan being stupid. Not checking sources properly etc and just being a flawed human being overall.

Joey Salads consciously tried to frame black people as violent. I don't personally draw parallels between those two actions.

I'm mocking the fact that they're both low-effort content and both have willfully ignorant fans ready to defend them in the face of incontrovertible proof.

He's become the kind of person who would be most at home on the wrong end of a callout video.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Can I get a quick rundown on this thread? Im guessing Ethan didnt have all the facts going by the last few pages.

Garjon

And this is the difference between a professional journalist and a Youtuber; a journalist would check all angles to make sure the story is tight before posting. Now Ethan's claims might have been disproven before the accused even has a chance to refute them. He'll bounce back from that, though he'll have to suffer the humility of a reputation hit in the meantime. However, the fact that he was willing to work with and trust a racist Youtuber purely to push his anti-MSM stance is something else entirely and is a hit he will struggle to live down.

Button

Banned
I still remain optimistic that Ethan will do what's right in this case, which is to delete this shameful video, apologize to the journalist and address the issue in a new video.

Kinda offtopic but man I remember watching H3H3 when they were at ~30k subs. Loved their channel when it was just riffing shitty YouTubers and bizarre videos.

I think around 200k subs was the turning point where they started changing for the worse, and now I can't even recognize the channel. Seems like they traded in their unique sense of humor for edgy rants and some weird crusade against the media.

pompidu

The whole YouTube system makes no sense. Hopefully they step in and put an end to this thing cause it's just really weird.

I will say though that first post brought nothing into the conversation, didn't even try to descresit Ethane with any evidence, he just derailed the thread for the sake of throwing out his opinion, totally unrelated to the story and nothing to back it up.

I don't know Ethan's stance on his 'status' but the Mods did a great job fucking up and not cleaning up this mess. If he wants to start a thread about h3h3 Nazi supporter, he should have done that. Not derail any interesting story with his unthought out opinion.

And this, kids, is why the Wall Street Journal has editors.

dcYKPqV.gif

SpU2vGg.gif

I'm mocking the fact that they're both low-effort content and both have willfully ignorant fans ready to defend them in the face of incontrovertible proof.

He's become the kind of person who would be most at home on the wrong end of a callout video.

Sure, yeah. I still don't rank them anywhere near each other though. That's just me.

sa201674

Banned
The whole "Ethan messep up" revelation isn't really gaining any traction outside of this site. It has some mentions in the reddit thread in r/videos but outside of that, it seems like most users aware of this issue completely side with H3H3 on this.

Skimming on the reddit thread made me realize how a lot are passionate in hating the WSJ.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can I get a quick rundown on this thread? Im guessing Ethan didnt have all the facts going by the last few pages.

Yeah more or less.

OP posts the video.
Lots of back and forth about H3H3, JonTron, PDP, etc. Same stuff you always see in these threads.
Someone posts the evidence refuting Ethan's claims.
Crow being served, while supplies last.

phaonaut

I still remain optimistic that Ethan will do what's right in this case, which is to delete this shameful video, apologize to the journalist and address the issue in a new video.

I sort of doubt it, before he had "proof" in this video. He basically started a witch hunt against the author in the last video.

The whole "Ethan messep up" revelation isn't really gaining any traction outside of this site. It has some mentions in the reddit thread in r/videos but outside of that, it seems like most users aware of this issue completely side with H3H3 on this.

Skimming on the reddit thread made me realize how a lot are passionate in hating the WSJ.

Well yeah, Ethan is a person looking for evidence to prove that the MSM is bad, who made a video for people who are looking for evidence to prove that the MSM is bad. Turns out a racist YouTuber's evidence was adequate for them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Real news > Fake news
Fake news > Real news

This is our timeline. The most fucked up of them all.

WSJ journalist posted images of racist video with ads.

Ethan made a video saying those images are photo shopped, showing a screencap of the income on the video from the uploader which showed no income in that period, making the conclusion no ads could have been showed and the WSJ is lying.

Turns out the video was copyright claimed, so ads have been running on it, but the income just didn't go to the uploader.

Disappointing if this Ethan guy was wrong or lied and the screen shots were perfectly legit. Just gives more credibility to the WSJ which they don't deserve imo.

Nanashrew

Banned

Of course. YTers like them have made it their duty to go after the WSJ and MSMs, so their audiences are falling in line doing the same.

Fret

um.. yeah okay man, everyone's brainwashed except for Gaf!

A thread on r/h3h3 is now on the front page about the "revelations"

Is the evidence really that rock solid? Seems like it could go either way really, not too sure what to think. If Ethan's wrong however, that doesn't refute the entire last video. WSJ absolutely stirred up controversy intentionally.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Disappointing if this Ethan guy was wrong or lied and the screen shots were perfectly legit. Just gives more credibility to the WSJ which they don't deserve imo.

Why don't they deserve it? For the YouTube stories they've been doing? Because their editorial section is a dumpster fire?

Anung

Un Rama
Got to see a man make an ass of himself in real time.

The irony of him tripping over his dick to fuck over journo's without even doing even the smallest bit of fact checking is great.

Plus he's so blinded by fear of the old media boogie men that he'd take the word of a racist (not Jontron the other guy) is the icing on the cake.

Wonderful.

most people these days despise journalism and news media

Be skeptical of your sources of information. Always, whether they're a liberal ally, massive conglomerate, or random blog. Once you've identified whether or not the information is true, inform yourself about the entity that is disseminating it. The kind of wording they use to frame the information may be based off of an agenda or bias.

This informative video from the PBS Idea Channel has about five times less views than Ethan's fumbled takedown, and Ethan's channel has roughly five times more subscribers.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
And this is the difference between a professional journalist and a Youtuber; a journalist would check all angles to make sure the story is tight before posting. Now Ethan's claims might have been disproven before the accused even has a chance to refute them. He'll bounce back from that, though he'll have to suffer the humility of a reputation hit in the meantime. However, the fact that he was willing to work with and trust a racist Youtuber purely to push his anti-MSM stance is something else entirely and is a hit he will struggle to live down.

Don't worry, there's a team of people ready to tell you it's irrelevant to the discussion whenever it gets brought up.

None of the people who posted earlier in here will reconsider watching or otherwise supporting his content over this.

Plenty to disagree with WSJ about on a variety of topics, but the main target of contention on Reddit is no doubt exclusively about their internet idols.

Stoze

I mean it's only been like 2 hours, and posts about Ethan being wrong are topping their own H3H3 subreddit as well. Give it some time (edit: or no time lol).

The anti-media/journalism hate is strong though.

Uhyve

I will say though that first post brought nothing into the conversation, didn't even try to descresit Ethane with any evidence, he just derailed the thread for the sake of throwing out his opinion, totally unrelated to the story and nothing to back it up.

I don't know Ethan's stance on his 'status' but the Mods did a great job fucking up and not cleaning up this mess. If he wants to start a thread about h3h3 Nazi supporter, he should have done that. Not derail any interesting story with his unthought out opinion.
Ironically the derail seems to be burying the (what seems to be) fact that this video is completely incorrect.

Now that the facts are out, he should release a correction/apology video. Don't know what it is about Youtubers, but they always seem to double down when they mess up.

Edit: Oh, he took it down. Half way there, still needs to do something to stop the vitriol that I'm sure the journalist is receiving right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom