• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EURO 2021 |OT| Sponsored by COVID 2020

Fret Runner

England fans watching those matches.
A2o7lm8.png

Bluntman

Damn we were so close against Germany :(

I'm actually very sad now :(

In just a few minutes we would have advanced and Germany would have been knocked out. We were leading the whole match and one of the worlds best team had to fight for a tie. Who would even dared to predict such a scenario beforehand?

But our team performed very well in the death group, really proud of 'em.

Last edited:

Bluntman

Just an interesting stat: in the whole group stage the Hungarian team spent 92 minutes in lead and only 6 minutes behind alltogether. We spent less time behind than any other team in Group F, yet still got knocked out.

Such is football.

DKehoe

Just an interesting stat: in the whole group stage the Hungarian team spent 92 minutes in lead and only 6 minutes behind alltogether. We spent less time behind than any other team in Group F, yet still got knocked out.

Such is football.
That's really impressive when you consider the group they were in. The fact that Hungary were in with a chance of qualifying during that last game is a real credit to them.

Damn we were so close against Germany :(

I'm actually very sad now :(

In just a few minutes we would have advanced and Germany would have been knocked out. We were leading the whole match and one of the worlds best team had to fight for a tie. Who would even dared to predict such a scenario beforehand?

But our team performed very well in the death group, really proud of 'em.
Germany played like shit though. Sorry you got kicked out.

Dark Rider

England players started preparation for next week’s Euro clash against Germany with a surprise live concert from Ed Sheeran at their St George’s Park headquarters. Sheeran gave an outdoor acoustic performance with players sat around him after being given permission to be part of the squad bubble.

Desavona

Damn Portugal has a very tough run, England lucked out though they have a very easy run if they get past Germany. IF they don’t choke looks like England might actually bring it home lol

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
England players started preparation for next week’s Euro clash against Germany with a surprise live concert from Ed Sheeran at their St George’s Park headquarters. Sheeran gave an outdoor acoustic performance with players sat around him after being given permission to be part of the squad bubble.

Interesting. Getting the ginger one in to be the scapegoat. Blame Ed when they bomb out on Tuesday.

Dark Rider

[TelegraphSport] The FA has warned England fans they face a match ban if they sing the Ten German Bombers song at Wembley

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wales were shit. Expected more a fight from them. They were good for the first ten mins, then it was all Denmark.

Also thought Italy weren't up to their normal best yesterday. However, not taking anything away from Austria. They were great and unlucky not to win the match.

Today's predictions.

Netherlands to beat Czech Republic 3-0

Belgium and Portugal will end 2-2 after 90mins and extra time. Portugal to win on pens.

Ballthyrm

Wales were shit. Expected more a fight from them. They were good for the first ten mins, then it was all Denmark.

Also thought Italy weren't up to their normal best yesterday. However, not taking anything away from Austria. They were great and unlucky not to win the match.

Today's predictions.

Netherlands to beat Czech Republic 3-0

Belgium and Portugal will end 2-2 after 90mins and extra time. Portugal to win on pens.

Austria played really well and they lost the match for a 10 cm offside, I think the manager waited too long to sub his players and it payed off really well for Italy.
I think Portugal has a good chance of winning 1-0, especially if Renato Sanches play like he did against us (France)

I wouldn't count out Czech Republic either, I think you're right that Netherlands will go on to beat them but not 3-0

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Austria played really well and they lost the match for a 10 cm offside, I think the manager waited too long to sub his players and it payed off really well for Italy.
I think Portugal has a good chance of winning 1-0, especially if Renato Sanches play like he did against us (France)

I wouldn't count out Czech Republic either, I think you're right that Netherlands will go on to beat them but not 3-0

Sanches has been outstanding this tournament. The game between Belgium and Portugal will (hopefully) be amazing. I think you'd be correct with a 0-1 to Protugal, but due to the amount of class, attacking players on the pitch, my fingers are crossed for a goal feast.

France are still my favourites to win it, but I'm English, so I'm hoping this can be our year. If we can beat Germany, then we'll a strong chance of at least reaching the final. I'm really hoping for a England v France final.

The French have far more attacking flair players, and I doubt they'll be playing defensive in a final against the old foe.

It'll be like a football version of Agincourt!

T8SC

Gold Member
Remember when the Dutch had great teams full of world class players like Cruyff, Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, De Boer, Koeman, Kluivert, Robben, Sneijder, Seedorf, Van Nistelrooy, Davids, Cocu... the list goes on.

The Czech's have totally outplayed this poor Netherlands team.

Kenpachii

Remember when the Dutch had great teams full of world class players like Cruyff, Bergkamp, Overmars, Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, De Boer, Koeman, Kluivert, Robben, Sneijder, Seedorf, Van Nistelrooy, Davids, Cocu... the list goes on.

The Czech's have totally outplayed this poor Netherlands team.

Team is trash, honestly nobody on that team is known by anybody even in the netherlands.

Question for upcoming world cup. I remember USA losing or failing to win a key game to qualify. I thought for sure we didn't make it? But looks like we still can qualify?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I know Depay, because he failed to make any sort of impact in a poor (at the time) Man Utd team.
I am biased, but I believe Memphis will reach another level at Barcelona. Will he be a top 10 forward with that plus? I doubt it.

Okay this is on Delight being an idiot.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I know Depay, because he failed to make any sort of impact in a poor (at the time) Man Utd team.
I think in retrospect it was just the wrong time to make that move. I've also heard people around United talk about how around that time the club was really bad about helping young players settle in. They used to be great about it and it's something that's been getting built back up recently. But Memphis was a 21 year old kid who suddenly moved over to a country he wasn't familiar with, was away from everyone he knew, was suddenly earning 100k a week and basically left to his own devices. I think that's going to fuck with almost any 21 year old and cause them to lose focus. That's why he paid a friend of his to come over to Manchester to be his driver, he didn't have anyone else around him.

Also he's a player that thrives off the licence to be creative and Van Gaal was enforcing a really rigid system of football at that time. Him and Shaw were also building a promising looking partnership around the time Shaw had that horrific leg break. If that hadn't happened maybe things might have looked different. Does all of that absolve Memphis for his underwhelming time at United? No, but I'm just saying there were other factors at play there. I'm glad he did well at Lyon and hope he does great at Barcelona.

Last edited:
Worst Dutch side for a long time. Nordic countries are putting on the class this tournament. I could see Denmark or the Swiss in the final.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Netherlands has been shit since Koeman left. Before that we reached the Nations League finals, qualified us for the EC etc. We played good matches against Germany, England and France. The team did well, and while some positions were still kind of weak, we looked to get out of the shithole we were in during 2016.

When Frank de Boer signed we knew shit hit the fan. He's trash. Ask fans of Inter, Atlanta or Palace. Ask Mourinho. And this game cemented it. That red card was on De Ligt, and just before it Malen should've scored. But his decision to play 4-4-1 against a rather poor Czech after the card is amateur hour. You're inviting them. Also, our goalie Stekelenburg didn't look good with any goal we conceded throughout the tournament. This is on Frank de Boer, who dismissed his first keeper after he tested positive for Corona. Didn't even call him up afterward like Busquets, just left him home.

In the end we had a shitty group, and we played at home. I think this masked a lot of our weaknesses. I think we also miss Virgil Van Dijk, who was our leader on the pitch. Still, we should've beaten Czech. We have De Ligt, De vrij, Ake, Frenkie de Jong, Wijnaldum, Depay, Malen. On every line a player that plays at respectable club level. I was sure we would win today, though I wasn't sure about beating Denmark. They're a solid team that clearly bonded closer since that fateful moment with Eriksen. But this is just a disgrace and Frank de Boer should be sacked.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
We were dreadful.

At least we still have a documentary on Memphis Depay 'cause that's not ridiculous at all of course.

Dark Rider

Question for upcoming world cup. I remember USA losing or failing to win a key game to qualify. I thought for sure we didn't make it? But looks like we still can qualify?

That was for the 2018 World Cup which already happened and France won it.
Now they are doing qualifications for 2022 World Cup.
The World Cup is held once every 4 years.

Dark Rider

Bale on his future to S4C Welsh Channel - "I want to keep playing, People ask stupid questions all the time. I love playing for Wales. I will play for Wales until the day I stop playing football. We have to take this experience to the World Cup qualification."

Dark Rider

[OptaJohan] 0 - For the first time since all Euro and World Cup games are analysed (1980), the Netherlands have failed to record a single shot on target in a tournament game. Extinguished.

Dark Rider

[Roy Keane] Roy Keane on Joao Felix: That’s guy an imposter! Your country needs you. He comes in - hit the target! £100 million?! If I was Ronaldo, I’d be going after him in the dressing room

TBiddy

Congrats mate :messenger_beaming:
How do you see your next game against the Netherlands/Czeck Republic?

Not sure really, if I'd rather want to play against Netherlands or Czech Republic. The Czech really outplayed the Dutch yesterday, so I'm not looking forward to meeting them. But then again, there are no easy games at this point (unless you're playing against Portugal :messenger_beaming:)

SkylineRKR

Czech is a team of unremarkable players that really fight for eachother. They can adapt and dig themselves in. They're a tough nut to crack. England won 1-0, Croatia didn't beat them, Belgium didn't beat them in the qualifiers either, not too long ago. They're not a fun team to draw.

godhandiscen

[Roy Keane] Roy Keane on Joao Felix: That’s guy an imposter! Your country needs you. He comes in - hit the target! £100 million?! If I was Ronaldo, I’d be going after him in the dressing room

I saw the match. I don’t know what he did particularly wrong. Only Pepe played a great match for Portugal.

godhandiscen

Just Roy Keane being Roy Keane with his boring hard man shtick
Sounds like it.

I just remember he quit playing for his national team weeks before the WC 2002, over flying coach, which apparently was below his superstar status.

Talk about being full of shit

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Wow! Croatia bringing back their game and scoring 2 late goals to bring it to extra time.
Spain has made a couple of substitutions for a 90 min game don’t think those ready for ET plus penalty’s.

Top Bottom