• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Resistance FOM. Review. Oh Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7/10
clicky.

edit: "[...] anybody who buys into Resistance will be left fighting off mutant mentalists on two fronts: in the game, and on the Internet, where the Xbox Jugend will never let it lie."

:lol

Dorfdad

Gold Member
LOL 7/10 they are still pissed about not getting the PS3 till March over there. Glad I never listen to them for reviews this game is well above 8.5 on any gamers scorecard.

Eurogamer havent really jumped onto the R:FOM hype train since it was first shown...

oh and prediction, im expecting EDGE to score the same, EDGE aren't as hyped about R:FOM as other magazines/sites.

Wollan

anybody who buys into Resistance will be left fighting off mutant mentalists on two fronts: in the game, and on the Internet, where the Xbox Jugend will never let it lie. However the game does critically, it simply will not be allowed to be good. It won't matter that this is nearly an excellent first-person shooter; it will just matter that it doesn't quite get there.

The Fall of Man may forever be overshadowed by the Internet's Fall of Manners, then, but this is still a solid launch title, and worthy of praise.

Haha.

RSP

Those eurogamer scores are harsh at times, but I don't think they are always unfair.

sure resistance looks the part, but from gameplay vids it seems like they didn't get the "feel" down with the controls like they did in halo 2.

other than that, I just don't like the weapons, but that is my personal opinion.

Zaptruder

Banned
This looks like it'll be one of the lower review scores around, just like their GoW review is one of the lower GoW scores around.

knoo

Wollan said:
A young nazi soldier.

Jugend means just "youth".

But you´re somewhat right as the term Xbox Jugend probably alludes to the Hitler Jugend, who were young nazi soldiers.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Zaptruder said:
This looks like it'll be one of the lower review scores around, just like their GoW review is one of the lower GoW scores around.

their scores might end up looking the most fair after the hype cloud has settled. and if people read their reviews rather than shitting their pants over the scores, they'd see Eurogamer have said R:FOM and GoW are both good games...just not great

MrSardonic said:
their scores might end up looking the most fair after the hype cloud has settled

What did they give Doom III? Actually saying that, did anyone give Doom III the average score it deserved?

hadareud

The Translator
good review.

I love eurogamer reviews, they are most certainly the funniest around. Sometimes they do try to be cool (Fifa 2/10 for instance) but 7 is a really good score for a launch game. I don't think anyone can complain about that.

Actually, I take that back. Everyone will complain about that.

I used to think all of this obsession with review scores was sarcastic when I first visited GAF, but I'm gradually losing hope :(

Oh well, can't spell Gamefaqs without GAF.

Magicpaint said:
QFT. Almost the equivalent of an EDGE 7 which means a very good game!

Eurogamer don`t rate low across the board though, they just seem a little up and down.

In the shooter genre, compare black, FEAR 360, SC: DA, gears and reistance reviews, and they just seem a little strange.

dino1980

Graphics Horse said:
I used to think all of this obsession with review scores was sarcastic when I first visited GAF, but I'm gradually losing hope :(

Yea... its just a penis extender for fanboys. Hell ive loved games that got a 3/10 in some places :)

Tieno

Graphics Horse said:

What's even stranger is you have the occasional thread where everyone chimes in on how unimportant reviews are, they don't matter at all and don't influence them at all bla bla bla.

Tieno said:
What's even stranger is you have the occasional thread where everyone chimes in on how unimportant reviews are, they don't matter at all and don't influence them at all bla bla bla.

I'm not influenced either way, I'm not getting a PS3 for a year or two at least :D

Zaptruder

Banned
MrSardonic said:
their scores might end up looking the most inline with my own cynical views after the hype cloud has settled. and if people read their reviews rather than shitting their pants over the scores, they'd see Eurogamer have said R:FOM and GoW are both good games...just not great

Fixed.

And judging by the amount of fun I had from GoW... if I apply the same difference between Eurogamer score and that to Resistance, I should still be having a pretty great time with Resistance.

aku:jiki

Dorfdad said:
LOL 7/10 they are still pissed about not getting the PS3 till March over there.
Yeah, totally. Eurogamer having a PS3 and reviewing a game on it is clearly indicative of them being angry that they don't have one...what?

Solid said:
so the abysmal black is better?
Yes, it is.

Tieno said:
Just you wait and see. MrSardonic is right on the money there.

Zaptruder

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Yeah, totally. Eurogamer having a PS3 and reviewing a game on it is clearly indicative of them being angry that they don't have one...what?

Yes, it is.

Just you wait and see. MrSardonic is right on the money there.

Have you played the game? I don't think Sardonic has himself (although I really can't imagine that guy been too enthusiastic about much if anything, he's so bitter and cynical all the time).

Regardless... I don't doubt for a moment that there will be haters for this game... that's just natural variation at work. But once the hype cloud as settled... I think this game will still retain its 'damned good game' status, in a way similar to something like Halo (which is occasionally from time to time lambasted by haters as a totally average FPS... mainly PC fanboys); the people that like it now will most likely continue liking it years later.

aku:jiki

Zaptruder said:
Have you played the game?
Yes, for hours. Last time I played it was yesterday. It's pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as should be. Both viewing it as an important launch title and as a game by Insomniac, who I love, it feels pretty disappointing.

Zaptruder said:
I think this game will still retain its 'damned good game' status, in a way similar to something like Halo (which is occasionally from time to time lambasted by haters as a totally average FPS... mainly PC fanboys); the people that like it now will most likely continue liking it years later.
I'm not so sure about that. Halo was like FF7, ie many console gamers' first real FPS experience.

lexi

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Yeah, it's like saying Nintendo brownshirts. No Nazi reference at all! Just a bunch of Nintendo guys that like to wear brown shirts.

Actually it's nothing like that.

The nazi thing may not be implied, but it's easy to get that impression.

Shompola

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Yeah, it's like saying Nintendo brownshirts. No Nazi reference at all! Just a bunch of Nintendo guys that like to wear brown shirts.

:lol

I pretty much agree.

lockii said:
The nazi thing may not be implied, but it's easy to get that impression.

Exactly... So they are implying a similiar scenario between the two. I thought it was somewhat funny and tasteless.

Eurogamer's reviewers seem to be just scoring for attention at the moment. I wish they'd drop the scores, then we'd just have well written reviews and no controversy.

I mean, on one hand it might be fair to say 'if Gears is an 8 then Resistance is a 7' but where you make room in that for 'F.E.A.R. 360 is 9' i'm not so sure. different reviewers and all, but i wonder if they'll post a news story about someone from EA praising their score for this one too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom