• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Resistance FOM. Review. Oh Boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaptruder said:
Fixed.

And judging by the amount of fun I had from GoW... if I apply the same difference between Eurogamer score and that to Resistance, I should still be having a pretty great time with Resistance.

Think about it this way: Whereas Kasavin dinstincts good games to the 0.1 point and from the scale around from 8.3 to 9, Eurogamer does it with the scale of 6 to 9. 10s are very very rare (if Kasavin ever gave a 10).

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I wonder what you'd be saying if someone called Sony fans a bunch of Nazis? Hmmm.... that's a head scratcher.

It's more like xbox fanatical kids and he's right on spot. I mean look whats' happening in this forum lately. The OA zoo crew is burning accounts by the dozens to spread their "truth", teamxbox kids are borrowing OA threads "reporting" negative PS3 news (even when most of the times they're either bullshit or completely insignificant) -but trying not to get banned- they change the titles to more "suitable" for GAF threads, the usual kids troll every PS3 thread etc etc. Yeah xbox fans have definately become the most embarassing crew out there.

I mean this week I met -what- 1 Sony fan who acted like a stupid kid? dark-whatever was his username. That's all. On the other hand I've lost track of the xbox kids trolling PS3 threads. Hell, I was inclined to act like the retards sometimes just to retaliate, but I've realized that doesn't solve anything on the contrary it makes matters worse. Seriously I wonder how people like SSX completely keep their cool here.

westical

Banned
fortified_concept said:
It's more like xbox fanatical kids and he's right on spot. I mean look whats' happening in this forum lately. The OA zoo crew is burning accounts by the dozens to spread their "truth", teamxbox kids are borrowing OA threads -but trying not to get banned- they change the titles to more "suitable" for GAF threads the usual kids troll every PS3 thread etc etc. Yeah xbox fans have definately become the most embarassing crew out there.

I mean this week I met -what- 1 Sony fan who acted like a stupid kid? dark-whatever was his username. That's all. On the other hand I've lost track of the xbox kids trolling PS3 threads. Hell, I was inclined to act like the retards sometimes just to retaliate, but I've realized that doesn't solve anything on the contrary it makes matters worse. Seriously I wonder how people like SSX completely keep their cool here.

I'm sorry, I usually hate people who over use these, but -

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You have got to be kidding me. Take those blinkers off. It's just as bad on both sides.

westical said:
I'm sorry, I usually hate people who over use these, but -

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You have got to be kidding me. Take those blinkers off. It's just as bad on both sides.

Use more smilies you only proove my point.

fortified_concept said:
Think about it this way: Whereas Kasavin dinstincts good games to the 0.1 point and from the scale around from 8.3 to 9, Eurogamer does it with the scale of 6 to 9. 10s are very very rare (if Kasavin ever gave a 10).

It's more like xbox fanatical kids and he's right on spot. I mean look whats' happening in this forum lately. The OA zoo crew is burning accounts by the dozens to spread their "truth", teamxbox kids are borrowing OA threads "reporting" negative PS3 news (even when most of the times they're either bullshit or completely insignificant) -but trying not to get banned- they change the titles to more "suitable" for GAF threads, the usual kids troll every PS3 thread etc etc. Yeah xbox fans have definately become the most embarassing crew out there.

The rest of them have been queueing up for the last 4 days, give them a chance!

watership

7 from Eurogamer is no slouch. However, they are right about something missing visually.. the thing that distracts me the most is how floaty/twitchy it looks. I'll know for sure when I play it.

Somehow I think the PS3 launch would have been served better by another Ratchet and Clank game.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Xbox Jugend. Basically the same thing. Unless you want to start playing symantics here.
No, it means Xbox Jugend are to Xbox as Hitler Jugend are to Hitler. It doesn't mean Xbox fanatics = nazis. The only way you'd read it that way is if you want to read it that way.

Tieno

fortified_concept said:

:lol Listen to yourself for a second, man, 'retaliate' wtf? It's shitfest on both sides of the fence. Hopefully things start to cool down now when all 3 consoles are out there.

Finncognito said:
No, it means Xbox Jugend are to Xbox as Hitler Jugend are to Hitler.

So the Nazi youth are to Hitler as Xbox fans are the Xbox. Gotcha. I don't know how I could've been so stupid as to think they were trying to make some kind of Nazi connection with the Xbox userbase.

Mea Culpa.

Azrael

While I think your assessment is correct, I think it owes less to the fact that Sony fanboys are more polite and mature than MS fanboys and more to the fact that Sony is giving its fanboys very little ammunition to work with atm.

Tieno said:
:lol Listen to yourself for a second, man, 'retaliate' wtf? It's shitfest on both sides of the fence. Hopefully things start to cool down now when all 3 consoles are out there.

Yeah, seriously what was I thinking? I guess they were getting under my skin after E3 but nowadays I seem to pretend to care what the fanboys say, than actually care.

And no you're completely wrong, it's not a shitfest from both sides. I rarely see sony fans trolling xbox threads when the opposite happens all the time here. Not to mention the negative PS3 news "reporting" which seems certain xbox fans have made their profession. Please don't even compare, it's insulting.

The Faceless Master said:

:lol

Are you kidding because if you don't, you have to read it again: He's talking about you!

Ryuuga

Banned
I think this game will be fantastic. I'll avoid saying anything negative about it because people won't be able to cope. I will also appear polite to deter being tagged a necessary evil.

-Ryuuga

fortified_concept said:
And no you're completely wrong, it's not a shitfest from both sides. I rarely see sony fans trolling xbox threads when the opposite happens all the time here.

I must be living in the twilight zone then. I'd say the % of rabid fanboys for each console is about 40% Sony, 50% Nintendo, and 10% Microsoft on this site :). That's how the threads usually play out. I'll give you an example here. When a game like Gears of War scores lower than the average review out there we see three pages worth of folks essentially waiting for some "xbot" to come in the thread and call the publication or internet site biased. When they see that guy / girl do that then it's "on". It's like 10 folks waiting for one to take the bait. It's not even on both sides. The shear volume of Sony and Nintendo fans just dwarves out the XBox ones here. If you don't see that then you what can I say. :)

hadareud

The Translator
fortified_concept said:
And no you're completely wrong, it's not a shitfest from both sides. I rarely see sony fans trolling xbox threads when the opposite happens all the time here. Not to mention the negative PS3 news "reporting" which seems certain xbox fans have made their profession. Please don't even compare, it's insulting.
what more can be said

Dunpeal

Banned
fortified_concept said:

Right...:lol :lol :lol Spoken like one of them.

And Eurogamer is run by a bunch of retards.

D2G

Banned
who cares about scores? the ps3 launch lineup is 10 times better than the ps2 one no matter how you spin it

Durante

Between this 7, the 8 for gears, the 8 for Dark Messiah and the 10 for FF12, I really have to pay more attention to eurogamer in the future. Their tastes match mine well.

Durante said:
Between this 7, the 8 for gears, the 8 for Dark Messiah and the 10 for FF12, I really have to pay more attention to eurogamer in the future. Their tastes match mine well.

You should check out Darwinia then. They love that game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hmm...so I guess it didn't really survive the "compelling first impression" you had of it little more than a week ago, Mr. Bramwell?

Tom Bramwell said:
It's vast without sacrificing the claustrophobia of great first-person shooter combat; it's inventive without resorting to set-pieces, or simply focusing its energies in specific segments and then moving on as burnout starts to manifest itself

Lower down this page there will be, I suspect, a current of distaste for what some will view as the partisan hyperbole of a positive first impression.
Heh.

X26

Banned
Xbox Jugend, I like it!

Review isn't bad, but spents a bit too much of it talking about things unrelatyed to the quality of the game

Mœbius

flipping_heck said:
oh and prediction, im expecting EDGE to score the same, EDGE aren't as hyped about R:FOM as other magazines/sites.
Surely not being hyped is a good thing from any magazine one reads in order to decide on a purchase: objective analysis is surely more trustworthy than hype-filled fanboyism reviews - what good is the latter to a consumer?

I really don't understand why everyone gets so aggravated over scores anyway, i mean come on, it really doesn't matter to most people on here if the posts in this thread are any indication - most people seem to have decided on whether something is good or not, and that they will buy it or not, before it's even been released and they've played it... maybe that's why everyone seems so pissed - you simply want reviews to justify your decision, anything that goes against it must be attacked and villified. Get a ****ing grip. IF you've decided and you think you'll like it, get it and like it - don't bitch on a forum.

Busty

Banned
Though I won't be getting a PS3 day one, Resistance is a title that really appeals to me and will likely be a definite purchase me for me, whenever I get a PS3.

I agree with the review as i feel it was even handed and fair. The 7/10 score doesn't put me off at all. But in saying that, I do believe that Gears Of War won't have as long a shelf life as Resistance will with the PlayStation fans.

I think that smooth 40 player online multiplayer is still something new to those that only had a PS2 last gen.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
After the GOW review, Sony fans were defending Eurogamer's "integrity" and "professionalism" and now.... :lol :lol

Busty said:
Though I won't be getting a PS3 day one, Resistance is a title that really appeals to me and will likely be a definite purchase me for me, whenever I get a PS3.

I agree with the review as i feel it was even handed and fair. The 7/10 score doesn't put me off at all. But in saying that, I do believe that Gears Of War won't have as long a shelf life as Resistance will with the PlayStation fans.

I think that smooth 40 player online multiplayer is still something new to those that only had a PS2 last gen.

agreed...timesplitters is just about the only fps I ve played for a while, never really been intothe genre...but this had some fast slick multiplayer though so Im giving it a chance....Im not exactly into gow or re4 type actions games that much either...Ive only played 20 mins or so of my copy of re4 so far and it didnt really grapb me, but of course I would give it more time...true enough though, if I was getting a ps3 and gow or resistance were both available at launch...Id probably get gow first or both

peace

syllogism

open_mouth_ said:
After the GOW review, Sony fans were defending Eurogamer's "integrity" and "professionalism" and now.... :lol :lol

It seems they still are, though most of them aren't exactly "sony fans".

REV 09

MrSardonic said:
their scores might end up looking the most fair after the hype cloud has settled. and if people read their reviews rather than shitting their pants over the scores, they'd see Eurogamer have said R:FOM and GoW are both good games...just not great
but Gears is great, and i haven't played resistance yet. I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of impressions considering that the system launched last night.

hadareud

The Translator
REV 09 said:
but Gears is great, and i haven't played resistance yet. I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of impressions considering that the system launched last night.
it seems that not many gamers got their hands on it yet for some reason.

pirateben said:
Surely not being hyped is a good thing from any magazine one reads in order to decide on a purchase: objective analysis is surely more trustworthy than hype-filled fanboyism reviews - what good is the latter to a consumer?

True, but the last EDGE preview of R:FoM is summed up by this line from them:

'Can the biggest game in history really be this shallow?'

EDGE is still keeping an open mind about it though, but at least EDGE hasn't fallen for the trap easily that other sites/magazines fell through.

ram

wow - how can eurogamer write a review. for example, sony europe clearly banned import ps3 reviews, otherwise there wouldnt be any support in the feature.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Jesus, fortified....your like a religious fanatic, only in being a fanboy for a gaming company. Christ, the internet is full of nuts.

shpankey

not an idiot
ram said:
wow - how can eurogamer write a review. for example, sony europe clearly banned import ps3 reviews, otherwise there wouldnt be any support in the feature.
so you're saying, in order to write a review for them, you have to actually BE IN europe? ;)

Musashi Wins! said:
Jesus, fortified....your like a religious fanatic, only in being a fanboy for a gaming company. Christ, the internet is full of nuts.
:lol i was thinking the same thing. watching him, of all people, rail on fanboys, was a bit ironic to say the least. ;)

Musashi Wins! said:

Hehe I didn't mention any names, but some people seem to take my comments personally. I wonder why...

Just for reference, this is what Eurogamer gave various Shooters in the past:

GRAW: 7
Halo 1: 8
Halo 2: 8

Doom 3: 9

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those scores. Those are just what I remember.

If that matches your taste in shooters, go ahead and believe Eurogamer's view on shooters. I just wish Eurogamer could be little more consistent because they praised Doom 3 for its immersiveness in spite of its dated gameplay mechanics. The seem to hold other shooters to another standard.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
fortified_concept said:
Hehe I didn't mention any names, but some people seem to take my comments personally. I wonder why...

jah1! i hates the playstations!

you need professional help. no joke.

anywho...anyone who hasn't, watch the gametrailers review. it's awesome.

jimbo

Banned
After their GOW review, I wouldn't spit on this site. How the heck are you going to leave out the multiplayer, half the game? Might as well review PSO offline only too. It's the same type of gameplay experience diffence. Online co-op made GOW.

Musashi Wins! said:
jah1! i hates the playstations!

you need professional help. no joke.

anywho...anyone who hasn't, watch the gametrailers review. it's awesome.

No I'm just saying that every time I mention the OA zoo crew and the teamxbox kids the insults against me quintuple. Which pretty much prooves my point, just like you do now. I mean c'mon, professional help? That's just mean.

chase

Good review, surprising score.

Stop overreacting, kids. Review site X didn't like the game you're currently supporting, but that doesn't mean you're a bad person.

fortified_concept said:
No I'm just saying that every time I mention the OA zoo crew and the teamxbox kids the insults against me quintuple. Which pretty much prooves my point, just like you do now. I mean c'mon, professional help? That's just mean.

You're too funny to ignore. Honestly I think you should devote your agenda to finding Area 51 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom