• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony's PSN made more money than all of Nintendo last fiscal year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

Leave Nintendo alone!

Looks like customers are already doing that.

giphy.gif

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
better than xbl last gen?

Yes. The ability to share and upload videos this easily alone elevates it for me.

The store still sucks in the sense that it is hard to find content that you are looking for without doing a search everytime but otherwise yeah psn has been freaking awesome.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's going to be so hard for NX to make a mid-generational challenge to that. I hope they have their graphical performance right, otherwise it's a hard sell going against that robust network and three years of games.

the fuck is wrong with you?

Nail for who, and close to what? Forcing Nintendo to go 3rd party?

a nail on the "new nintendo" coffin...

I just want "good old nintendo" back.
this kind of thing doesn't kill them financially, but I'm sure they'll learn something and change things for the future. Like Sony did at the half of the PS3 era. look what they've become, I want Nintendo to be like that, because I like them.

And yet Sony profits were only twice as big:

Sony counts FX impact towards operating income/loss, Nintendo doesn't. With FX impact Nintendo made only 16.5 billion yen ($148 million) profit last FY (and 24 billion yen ($216 million) loss last quarter)

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Sony counts FX impact towards operating income/loss, Nintendo doesn't. With FX impact Nintendo made only 16.5 billion yen ($148 million) profit last FY (and 24 billion yen ($216 million) loss last quarter)

Plus that is nearly three times not 2.

Davey Cakes

It's going to be so hard for NX to make a mid-generational challenge to that. I hope they have their graphical performance right, otherwise it's a hard sell going against that robust network and three years of games.
The key might be for Nintendo to somehow grandfather in Virtual Console/eShop content and maybe even some of the content available on Wii U and 3DS in general.

One of Nintendo's strengths is their back catalog but they really need to offer a better service to deliver those games to the consumer. It's possible, but the ball is in their court.

Yes. The ability to share and upload videos this easily alone elevates it for me.

The store still sucks in the sense that it is hard to find content that you are looking for without doing a search everytime but otherwise yeah psn has been freaking awesome.
can't you also do that shit on the xbone?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When Sony's backs were against the wall with the PS3 they released killer title after killer title after killer title. Their first party lineup in the latter years of the PS3 were godly. They were creative. They came up with the greatest subscription service ever in PS Plus and provided ridiculous value.

Then they released a successful system, the quality of their first party software went to absolute shit, and their awesome subscription service became another shitty cashgrab after locking online play behind it. It's also worth noting that the reason PS3 was so bad at the start was purely because of the success of the PS2.

Sony had to get humbled to get good again. The same looks like it needs to happen again, but that sadly won't be happening for a long time.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
a nail on the "new nintendo" coffin...

I just want "good old nintendo" back.
this kind of thing doesn't kill them financially, but I'm sure they'll learn something and change things for the future. Like Sony did at the half of the PS3 era. look what they've become, I want Nintendo to be like that, because I like them.

Nintendo hasn't changed, your tastes have.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When Sony's backs were against the wall with the PS3 they released killer title after killer title after killer title. Their first party lineup in the latter years of the PS3 were godly. They were creative. They came up with the greatest subscription service ever in PS Plus and provided ridiculous value.

Then they released a successful system, the quality of their first party software went to absolute shit, and their awesome subscription service became another shitty cashgrab after locking online play behind it. It's also worth noting that the reason PS3 was so bad at the start was purely because of the success of the PS2.

Sony had to get humbled to get good again. The same looks like it needs to happen again, but that sadly won't be happening for a long time.

All that negative stuff about their gaming output is subjective you know and based fully on their developers and not Sony as a conglomerate. As for PSPlus not putting out value i doubt publishers wanted to play ball with AAA releases anymore considering how little there are to begin with coming out, hence the indie focus.

As for charging for online play, that's not being greedy, that's having common sense. Blame MS for making it acceptable standard.

Does it mean Sony is doing good or Nintendo is just doing terrible?

Both. Sony is doing better than they have been and Nintendo is doing worse than they have been.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As I said in the other thread, I think this is great because Sony doesn't seem too afraid to experiment with games outside of the normal FPS garbage that floods the market, and more money means more of those unique games.

That said, I'm not understanding why this is surprising in the least. PS4 has sold like 4 times what the Wii U has sold, hasn't it? With a pay-to-play subscription for online and a burgeoning digital gaming hub, isn't it quite obvious this would occur?

I hope, hope, hope that this convinces Nintendo to do a PSN-like, particularly if they adopt the flash sales + extra discounts for Nintendo Online purchasers. Nintendo has this massive library that I never buy anything from because the prices are too high and the sales are too few/kinda suck.

Honestly, I don't play Nintendo consoles online, but would still pay $40-$50 a year to get two game downloads a month as well as extra discounts on sales. Hell, they could charge more than Sony for PSN for a like service as far as I'm concerned, though the optics would be poor in general on pricing like that.

Nintendo hasn't changed, your tastes have.

my personal tastes haven't changed, trust me; wiiU is the console I've played the most this gen. seconded by 3DS.

but Nintendo has failed terribly to read what the market wants. They nailed it last gen, they dropped it this one.

The Wii ---> WiiU transition is very similar to the PS2 ---> PS3 transition. but Sony managed to learn and correct. I want Nintendo to do that. simple as that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
All that negative stuff is subjective you know. As for PSPlus not putting out value i doubt publishers wanted to play ball with AAA releases anybody considering how little there are to begin with coming out, hence the indie focus.

As for charging for online play, that's not being greedy, that's having common sense. Blame MS for making it acceptable standard.
I blame Microsoft. I blame Sony. And I blame NeoGAF for not ripping Sony a new one when they announced it.

As I said in the other thread, I think this is great because Sony doesn't seem too afraid to experiment with games outside of the normal FPS garbage that floods the market, and more money means more of those unique games.

That said, I'm not understanding why this is surprising in the least. PS4 has sold like 4 times what the Wii U has sold, hasn't it? With a pay-to-play subscription for online and a burgeoning digital gaming hub, isn't it quite obvious this would occur?
Nintendo goes from licensing to toys to games to profitable hardware. It's shameful that PSN alone can lap them.

Lace

Posted it in the locked one but I'll post it again here

6jZmVW0.gif

This really has been an amazing turnaround for Sony. They've been hitting it out of the park the last couple of years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo goes from licensing to toys to games to profitable hardware. It's shameful that PSN alone can lap them.

But when you look at the variables for Sony here:

3-4 times the amount of consoles because Wii U was an abject failure, which leads to:
Much greater software sales
Paid subscription for online ($40-$50 a year) that most people buy
Huge digital marketplace MUCH bigger than Nintendo's

It's fairly obvious this would happen, no?

Why? What would you like to see Sony do differently

I think he means what happened after the success they had at the PS2 era.

they totally dominated the market and went crazy at the start of the PS3 gen.

3-4 times the amount of consoles because Wii U was an abject failure, which leads to:

yeah, it's obvious...

the "shameful" thing is that Nintendo is SO behind at the digital landscape that this happened.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I blame Microsoft. I blame Sony. And I blame NeoGAF for not ripping Sony a new one when they announced it.

Nobody was going to blame sony for something somebody else started, much less playing 50 bucks for online a month, when we were so happy they didn't try and lock all games to authenticated servers every 24 hours with mandatory check ups for our purchases.

otakukidd

Your not counting the 3ds and all the licensing they do.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Posted it in the locked one but I'll post it again here

6jZmVW0.gif

This really has been an amazing turnaround for Sony. They've been hitting it out of the park the last couple of years.
Hitting their marketing out of the park, sure. Shame almost everything else has gone downhill since they released the PS4.

Justified

Considering the profit revenue that Amiibos were generating it is, along with the sales of the first party games that came out within this time period, and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom