• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony's PSN made more money than all of Nintendo last fiscal year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Nintendo milks a higher profit margin out of their customers.

You'll see some of their fans in here defending it, as if that's somehow good for them.

Nintendo is smart for never discounting their titles, but Sony are greedy scum for charging for online!

Sony
Total game related sales - $13.72 billion ($4.69 billion from Network

Does "game related" here only refer to sold games or also revenue from consoles and accessories? Would be nice to know how online vs. retail game sales compare by now.

Either way that's a more than a third of their total sales. You would also have to assume that their profit share on digital copies, royalties, PS+ and DLC etc. is much, much higher than retail.

I appreciate your effort to enlighten us, as I am well aware that nobody likes (nor has) to vindicate such decisions.

I for one was always curious about the reasons why he was banned because - as you said - he always stressed that no one from the team has ever explained why he got permaed.

You'll see some of their fans in here defending it, as if that's somehow good for them.

PS+ and XBOX Live Gold allows subscribers more than "just" playing together. Each month you get free games. Within the last couple of years I for one built up a very huge library of PS+ games (for my PS4, PS3 and Vita) and if I don't prolong PS+ they are all gone. In other words: PS+ and XBOX Live not only generate regular cash flows (believe me, their CFOs love it!), they also a very effective customer loyalty programs, as switching platforms becomes more and more unattractive the longer you use the service.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will go for a monthly subscription as well when they introduce NX. Best case scenario is free online gaming. Because let's not forget that Nintendo isn't the Salvation Army.

King_Moc

Banned
PS+ and XBOX Live Gold allows subscribers more than "just" playing together. Each month you get free games. Within the last couple of years I for one built up a very huge library of PS+ games (for my PS4, PS3 and Vita) and if I don't prolong PS+ they are all gone. In other words: PS+ and XBOX Live not only generate regular cash flows (believe me, their CFOs love it!), they also a very effective customer loyalty programs, as switching platforms becomes more and more unattractive the longer you use the service.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will go for a monthly subscription as well when they introduce NX. Best case scenario is free online gaming. Because let's not forget that Nintendo isn't the Salvation Army.

Nintendo doesn't have a large enough library of online games to even begin to justify charging for it. They also have a large fanbase of under 18's, and charging kids a subscription probably isn't the best idea.

geordiemp

Ban 2: Needless console warrior nonsense while reporting on an event in Shanghai.

Ban 1 and 3 are fair, Ban 2 was harsh as I laughed (for a second only) at the picture and is no different to the usual Media create Xb1 jokes banter every week, or the many forza cut outs pasted into queue's and things (which were way funnier to be fair).

Personally, if its aggressive or personal insult then its not cool, but if its an attempt at humour at a plastic box (even if it does not come off well) then thats a bit harsh.

Back on topic does PSN sales account for PS~+ and digital sales, and if so does this mean more and more games are being sold digitally ? My view is that Sony needs to get some better games on Ps+. last game I played was rocket league.

All console makers have to make their money, MS and Sony use PS+ and Gold, Nintendo seem to prefer to mark up hardware and have high software pricing (high old prices and VC). As a consumer you pick your poison,

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate your effort to enlighten us, as I am well aware that nobody likes (nor has) to vindicate such decisions.

I for one was always curious about the reasons why he was banned because - as you said - he always stressed that no one from the team has ever explained why he got permaed.

He is perfectly aware of why he was permanently banned. It's not hard to understand why he would pretend not to though.

Steroyd

I blame Microsoft. I blame Sony. And I blame NeoGAF for not ripping Sony a new one when they announced it.

Blame Microsoft a second time for that one, that announcement was placed right after the "PS4 plays used games announcement" you can guess which was the overulling headliner that day lol.

It's not even better than XBL right now. They are making bank because they are the best selling console and PS Plus is now mandatory for most online play, not because PSN is the best service.
that's not what Rash said. He said and I quote, "PSN is pretty much the best gaming service ever so I'm not surprised."

Elandyll

Banned
I've noticed some confusion ...

Thanks for the details about the moderation process Steve, you didn't owe it to us, but it's very much appreciated.
I understand it's very hard to balance things out, and people who have been banned may not always present an "objective" view of the events (if such a thing even exists). Gotta admit I am still sorry about the whole George ban though (as I felt he was providing an immesurable service to salesGAF), but I also understand that Aqua's version of the events (as she presented it on another site) may not be the entire truth, but I'll leave it at that. Shame things went the way they went, all of them are missed.

About having source for numbers, I think it's obvious Zhuge has sources but be also wary: he's been caught wrong on more than one occasion, when not even simply fudging a report (like here mixing up millions instead of billions).
Love the guy, but double check is my advice.

Thanks for the details about the moderation process Steve, you didn't owe it to us, but it's very much appreciated.
I understand it's very hard to balance things out, and people who have been banned may not always present an "objective" view of the events (if such a thing even exists). Gotta admit I am still sorry about the whole George ban though (as I felt he was providing an immesurable service to salesGAF), but I also understand that Aqua's version of the events (as she presented it on another site) may not be the entire truth, but I'll leave it at that. Shame things went the way they went, all of them are missed.

About having source for numbers, I think it's obvious Zhuge has sources but be also wary: he's been caught wrong on more than one occasion, when not even simply fudging a report (like here mixing up millions instead of billions).
who's george?

I don't know what Aquamarine said off site. And that's not me seeking out more information because I really don't care about seeking out any and all offsite gossip. Just letting you know that I can't rebut this information as I don't know what it was.

What I can tell you is that NDP_Mulcair (whom I think registered originally as NDP_George) was banned on the grounds of being an Aquamarine alt. It's always possible that this was a false positive in terms of alt detection. It's happened before. But I remember this conversation and the methodology employed to reach this conclusion seemed pretty sound at the time.

It's also worth noting that the Aquamarine account itself was already a re-registration for a previously banned junior account. All told, by our count Aquamarine has registered four accounts here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I haven't seen much of that in here at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Steve didn't owe anybody shit by coming in here and fully explaining the situation for why Zhuge was banned, but he did in a very cohesive and far reaching manner.

Props guy

Mr-Joker

Banned
Interesting, I hope that this doesn't mean that Nintendo will start charging to play on-line as I am not fond on the idea.

I don't know what Aquamarine said off site. And that's not me seeking out more information because I really don't care about seeking out any and all offsite gossip. Just letting you know that I can't rebut this information as I don't know what it was.

What I can tell you is that NDP_Mulcair (whom I think registered originally as NDP_George) was banned on the grounds of being an Aquamarine alt. It's always possible that this was a false positive in terms of alt detection. It's happened before. But I remember this conversation and the methodology employed to reach this conclusion seemed pretty sound at the time.

It's also worth noting that the Aquamarine account itself was already a re-registration for a previously banned junior account. All told, by our count Aquamarine has registered four accounts here.

Great earlier post Steve its appreciated. :)

I can understand him being annoyed at Ban 2, that was an over zealous mod, as far worse goes unpunished in many threads, but to hassle and harang volunteers who have a hard enough job as it is offsite or onsite is unacceptable and 'd have permed his ass if it was me, he should have let it go and returned when each temporary ban expired.

jett

D-Member
Nintendo is smart for never discounting their titles, but Sony are greedy scum for charging for online!

lol you can blame Microsoft for inflicting that evil upon this industry. It's easy money.

At least MS is using dedicated servers this gen.

teiresias

I can't believe there's talk about Nintendo trying to charge for online when they don't even have a proper account-based system yet. They need to get the fundamentals required for a service people will even consider paying for before they think of actually trying to do that.

well said. Sometimes, I felt my ban was a bit unfair but I've learned some perspective on things and understand 100% where the community is coming from. We lack humility as a culture and I think it's enhanced online and in social media. Well done and thank you for the effort and time constructing the posts.

Sony made all this money, but they still take losses from there other divisions! Good to know, besides Wii U most of Nintendo's ideas are solid and sell for profit.

Elandyll

Banned

Just to clarify what Aqua's version is, she has been shouting across the rooftops that her good friend George / Mulcair (who apparently happens to not be too computer/ forum saavy) used her computer to create his GAF account and post from there, which of course is impossible to verify.
Living it at that, because as much as I like Aqua (and I do) we are at he said/ she said levels.

Sony made all this money, but they still take losses from there other divisions! Good to know, besides Wii U most of Nintendo's ideas are solid and sell for profit.

Sony is a diversified conglomerate, and much of business is cyclical. What is doing well today (games, movies) was struggling a few years ago. If the bottom fell out of console gaming entirely tomorrow, Sony would be fine. Financial services make up the backbone of that company.

Nintendo on the other hand would not. Even within the gaming sector they haven't expanded in the ways they should have (anemic online infrastructure, no first party properties in many genres dominated by third parties) and it's difficult to see a path forward even with the NX

Exactly. I'm sure charging the same for Star Fox as From did for for Dark Souls or CDPR did for Witcher was smart too, to some people.

I had no idea witcher 3 launched at 50 bucks. I always thought it was 60

lol you can blame Microsoft for inflicting that evil upon this industry. It's easy money.

At least MS is using dedicated servers this gen.

You can blame anyone who chooses to implement it. This would include Nintendo should they get stupid and charge for online multi with nx. You can also blame the people who choose to pay it. There is an open platform that does it better and for no cost on a multitude of online services, most of which do have massive infrastructures in place (including microsoft's azure).

Portugeezer

Now I wonder how much it takes them to maintain PSN... probably a small fraction of that.

It obvious PSN and XBL make a shit ton of money for free.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just to clarify what Aqua's version is, she has been shouting across the rooftops that her good friend George / Mulcair (who apparently happens to not be too computer/ forum saavy) used her computer to create his GAF account and post from there, which of course is impossible to verify.
Living it at that, because as much as I like Aqua (and I do) we are at he said/ she said levels.

We invite George Terhanian, president of NPD, to email support@neogaf.com to verify his identity should he wish to have the ban lifted.

There will be no further discussion relaying gossip from banned users in this thread.

So it's good for gamers that Sony loses money on stuff other than games while Nintendo just loses money on games? What is the logic of this post (other than fanboy nonsense)?

Blame Microsoft a second time for that one, that announcement was placed right after the "PS4 plays used games announcement" you can guess which was the overulling headliner that day lol.

Ahah. So it's MSFT's fault Sony managed to sneak in a paywall when everyone was distracted?

Come on now. That's ridiculous. If people were too busy celebrating/poking fun/whatever, they have only themselves to blame. There were headlines that day noising the PSPlus changes that went largely ignored.

It wasn't for a lack of trying. It just simply wasn't a big deal anymore, despite the fact that many here steadfastly proclaimed they would never pay for online multiplayer.

So it's good for gamers that Sony loses money on stuff other than games while Nintendo just loses money on games? What is the logic of this post (other than fanboy nonsense)?

Who said it was good for gamers? You are putting words in my mouth there, buddy. Also, Nintendo makes most of there money on software... As for calling me a fanboy, I think that is the pot calling the kettle black dear sir.

Quixzlizx

Nintendo's online infrastructure is so bad, I avoid it whenever possible even though it's currently free. Good luck charging for that.

TaterTots

Banned
Hyperbole. Hyperbole everywhere.

Hyperbole? Sony started killing it by the middle/end of last gen. They released great games. Introduced PS+ that did not hide online play behind a paywall. You could claim their games were terrible and say its just my opinion, but the rest are facts.

Also, You now need PS+ to play online.....so what part of his post is hyperbole?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's going to be so hard for NX to make a mid-generational challenge to that. I hope they have their graphical performance right, otherwise it's a hard sell going against that robust network and three years of games.

With the delay it's going to be something like 3.5 years of games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sony and MS invest money into the PS and XBL ecosystem. Its not surprising they need to earn a greater return on their networks compared to Nintendo or the older eras of console online gaming.
I'm pretty sure they all invest money into their respective ecosystems none of the online features nintendo has on WiiU was free

Seriously, how did they not even make three times Nintendo's profits when they sold about 18* as many consoles as they did? Seems odd.

Not odd at all. Sony throws a lot of cash around. Appealing to the youngish male audience with AAA content and marketing, while continuously greasing the third party wheels, isn't exactly cheap. I assume that margins tend to favor Nintendo.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Why are there still people that defend paying for online?

Not so much defending it but....

When you see Nintendo fans talk about high resale value of Nintendo games as why they like they dont drop in price, Amiibo making them money, hoping doing mobile games make them money so it can be put to use in the home, handheld space...

Why not hope they charge for online to also make them money? Even if only Nintendo fans buy the NX...charging that small base for online will....make them money....

I dont like that Sony charges for online with the PS4...but seeing its a console I want...and I was already paying PS+ on PS3....I'm indifferent to it.

Even if I wasnt paying for Plus already....if its a console I want....I have to accept it or play elsewhere. I paid for Plus before paying for Gold. And now that they both do free games...I just pay for both without blinking if I can. I just reupped Gold, Plus just expired. In a few weeks I will probably re up Plus.

One reason I'm keeping Gold is when I finally get an XBO I have a handful of games already available to play thanks to Games with Gold. And I still have a 360. I did this before I got the PS4 and it came in handy having games already available to play.

If Nintendo does charge for online...do you think the Nintendo faithful will abandon ship and go PS, XBox? Or will they stick around and make Nintendo money?

Exactly.

EDIT: Just saw Stump's post. Nvm.

One more problem is that nintendo is already behind when trying to keep their customers "loyal" with digital sales.

PS+ and the gold games on XBL can make their user keep coming , not only with online but also with the added "carot" that are free games.

Even if the xbone started late they still have a vast potentiel portofolio to choose from.
Nintendo , with their deficient third party support can't compete. Sure there are good third party games on wiiU/3ds but is it enough to keep customers the same way ps+ & xbl gold does ?

Not to mention the fact that many nintendo franchises/games sell pretty well on the long run ( mario kart/smash bros for exemple ) Nintendo , IMO is missing way too may tools for an effective customer loyalty program

I haven't seen much of that in here at all.

It's a pretty common sentiment. Nintendo are smart with their money, they know how to keep budgets down, they are profitable even when their products aren't super successful etc. As a consumer, it leads to hardware being over priced and underpowered, games staying full price forever, VC game prices being extortionate. That's the business model, for better or for worse. I can understand why they do things this way as a business, but as a consumer it annoys me.

This whole line of conversation came about because someone was unimpressed with Sony's profit vs Nintendo given difference in consoles sold. It simply means Sony is spending more money on their consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom