• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever been in a "not sure if we're dating or not" kind of situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
This is so difficult for me. I really have no idea if I'm dating him or if we're just friends. And I can't ask because that would make it so awkward and weird for me.

Share experiences, GAF? Have you ever been hanging out with someone, going to places with them, and you weren't sure if you were dating or just friends?

This is so difficult for me. I really have no idea if I'm dating him or if we're just friends. And I can't ask because that would make it so awkward and weird for me.

Share experiences, GAF? Have you ever been hanging out with someone, going to places with them, and you weren't sure if you were dating or just friends?

Sounds like you're not honestly.

Yeah, but then I asked and it turns out we were.

Adam Blue

In every experience I made sure to share how I felt when I felt. Avoiding that leads to awkwardness. You should let him know how you feel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Have you made out or slept together or anything like that? If not, then no you probably aren't.

EVOL 100%

Just cut the bullshit and ask if it's bothering you

Speaking from experience, that saves you from a lof annoying and pointless trouble

also it's really only awkward when you're not dating. if you are, then it's a really easy to play it off and then go out and then get nasty.

Tenck

You don't want to make it awkward, but you sound like you're in an awkward relationship. You've got nothing to lose by asking.

Crayons

Banned
To make it more clear, we went out a while ago and it was just us, I paid for him, we ate together, then we went to the park. Really awkward goodbye. And he has said flirty things with me. And I asked him if he wanted to do something like that again, and he said sure.

Have you made out or slept together or anything like that? If not, then no you probably aren't.

No we haven't.

Well do you like this guy? If you do maybe you should ask him out on a date and make it official

I do like him, but he's really shy. So of the both of us, I feel like it's my responsibility. But personally, it's really difficult for me to take a leap of faith like that as well.

Log4Girlz

Yea. I accidently called a girl I was with my gf and she corrected me by saying it was just a fling. Ok I said. A few months later she called me her bf. I reminded her it was just a fling.

I had a girl break up with me because I didn't try to make out with her, which came as a surprise to me, because I didn't know we were together (and I wasn't interested, because she was psycho. As evidence, I submit the fact that she broke up with me for not making out with her when we weren't even together).

To make it more clear, we went out a while ago and it was just us, I paid for him, we ate together, then we went to the park. Really awkward goodbye. And he has said flirty things with me. And I asked him if he wanted to do something like that again, and he said sure.

No we haven't.

I do like him, but he's really shy. So of the both of us, I feel like it's my responsibility. But personally, it's really difficult for me to take a leap of faith like that as well.

If hes shy ask him what he thinks of you. problem solved

Crayons

Banned
I really wish I could just ask him but I don't even know for sure if he is gay. And if he isn't then I just put myself out there for nothing.

Uhhh is your name Marilyn?

KevinRo

Yea. I accidently called a girl I was with my gf and she corrected me by saying it was just a fling. Ok I said. A few months later she called me her bf. I reminded her it was just a fling.

I had a girl break up with me because I didn't try to make out with her, which came as a surprise to me, because I didn't know we were together (and I wasn't interested, because she was psycho. As evidence, I submit the fact that she broke up with me for not making out with her when we weren't even together).

I can't decide which one wins the thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really wish I could just ask him but I don't even know for sure if he is gay. And if he isn't then I just put myself out there for nothing.

You should put yourself out there if you're expecting there to be a relationship. Otherwise you're having a friendship under false pretenses.

Might as well just get it out in the open, for better or worse.

How...often are you paying for his meals? Because, and hopefully this is not the case, but this could just be a "friends with benefits" situation for him. (That is, you're a friend that he can get to buy food for him.)

Crayons

Banned
So instead there will just be all sorts of sexual tension and awkwardness?

Do you know that moment in a movie when a girl expects to be kissed and the guy thinks she doesn't want to and goes back in his car?

It felt like that for 5 minutes straight.

The things he's said to me have made me think that he's interested in me.

Even if he is, he wouldn't tell me though. Because I think he's ashamed of it.

That's new territory for me. What were his past relationships and how deep in talk do you two go into? Tough one.

terrisus

Do you know that moment in a movie when a girl expects to be kissed and the guy thinks she doesn't want to and goes back in his car?

It felt like that for 5 minutes straight.

Nope, I don't really watch movies.

But, anyway, yeah, I would say going through that on a regular basis (and the inevitable awkwardness that will follow whenever he does know you were interested in him) would be worse than just asking and getting it over with.

Dali

Yeah. It was high school. Not trying to be snarky, but that was the last time I wasnt sure about a status and wasn't adult enough to discuss the issue.

Edit: just read your movie analogy. That sort of awkward is only in the initial stages of dating. You aren't a couple. Period. You're still just dating until someone escalates.

RoKKeR

After reading some of your responses it seems like you maybe aren't all that close? Not to mention dating, but I don't know the full story! Don't mean this to be harsh, but how can you be dating someone if you can't even talk comfortably about their sexuality?

Maybe it's just me but I'd probably like to be on the same page.

Edited to reduce harshness.

Metaroo

I was in a similar situation with a friend recently. I ended up asking her out. All I can say, is that you should probably talk about it.

I'm 17 he's 16. So I guess that answers the whole "why aren't you adult enough to discuss your sexuality" thing.

Aahhhhhh makes so much sense now. Maybe in your 20s it would be easier but yeah, harder at a younger age. Hmm so it's about making that first move huh? I suppose I would lay it out there about my sexuality but not aimed at him. I can see it being messy. Good luck OP.

john-daquino-an-american-television-and-film-actor-14.jpg

Dinner with his parents? It was just a lovely evening together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom