• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

btkadams

i'm in the bronze tournaments and getting my ass kicked. any recommendations? is it required to get good at spins when you are at this point? if not, when should i be focussing on them? i'm using an intermediate golfer with a straight shot so i've been basically avoiding the spin side of the game.

see5harp

Don't shoot for the pin, shoot for a spot in front of the pin. A good guide that I use for putting, which perhaps other people use, is that for every inch up, add a foot to your power. Once you are consistently hitting the 10 foot putts, most of the tournaments up until the last 2 are really easy.

KooPaL

Okay since Tactics Ogre lost I have room to buy two Vita Games lol. I decided on Lumines right now and the other one is a toss up between Hot Shots Golf and Unit 13. There are no demos for Hot Shots Golf at the moment but what makes it so addicting? I like level progression and I guess skill involved and less RNG :)

Number45

I really don't get the fascination with you tube support. The video is much smaller if you just save the presence data that your Vita is already saving. You can also adjust the cameras on the fly.
People like to share cool stuff they've pulled off. If they can't add YT support, it would be nice if they had an online service that could use the replay data.

So, I decided to take out the final character to Maple Leaf to get his loyalty to level one.

Final Scorecard

I ended up with 5 eagles in the front 9, including a HIO and a final score of -21 :p

...and I was so disappointed that I had 3 pars XD

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wish they'd stop using the Kagurayama Country Club Out as one of the daily tourneys. It has that stupid hole (I think it's 7) that has you trying to hit the ball up to a green that's like 30 yards above the ground, and no matter how hard I smack the ball, I always end up with it falling down the slope of the green, and it's impossible to recover.

Number45

I wish they'd stop using the Kagurayama Country Club Out as one of the daily tourneys. It has that stupid hole (I think it's 7) that has you trying to hit the ball up to a green that's like 30 yards above the ground, and no matter how hard I smack the ball, I always end up with it falling down the slope of the green, and it's impossible to recover.
Is that the one that has the heavy cleave at the front left of the green with a tree in it, and the pin often close to that corner? Same here, I've abandoned so many rounds because of that hole (I wish they had an option to restart the round in SP).

EDIT: Also managed to crown 6-1, now the rough +1 on 6-3 is caning me. :'(

krae_man

I don't have trouble with that one.

Are you trying to hit the green in one and coming up short?

The times I've landed in the rough about 30 yards from the pin(and about 5 yards downhill), I always do about 45 yards of power and I get up there no problem, sometimes within 3 feet of the cup.

I aim for the fairway to the right of the tree with topspin. There's a small ledge 1/2 way up. If I can make it on that, my approach shot needs hardly any extra power to compensate for the height difference. If I fall back down to the bottom of the hill, I do an extra 10 yards of power and rarely run into any issues.

Edit: 20th, 7th and 3rd in today's Dailies. I needed a couple good rounds. Hopefully the top 10's will stick.

krae_man

Darn it, my 3rd and 7th became 10th and 17th. Only one extra point for me.

Just maxed the loyalty of all the characters. Now I need to do the special shots and get that Albatross. I had trouble with the homing one last night I hit multiple pins with backspin but nothing happened. Can you not do homing from inside 15 yards?

AkuMifune

Banned
Somehow beat the last two silver tournaments in one day and then crushed max (worst character model in the game). Feeling pretttty good.

How long will the feeling last? Maybe I'll wait a day before starting Gold.

It might be because the backspin hasn't had a chance to take effect. Any time I make a homing or spiral shot, they're usually flukes and from a fair distance. Rising Shots are much easier for me to execute :).

Just 2 stars and 3 crowns away from completing Challenge mode now (all vs battles)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
i'm in the bronze tournaments and getting my ass kicked. any recommendations? is it required to get good at spins when you are at this point? if not, when should i be focussing on them? i'm using an intermediate golfer with a straight shot so i've been basically avoiding the spin side of the game.

Focus on ball placement. Is there a dog leg left? Then aim for the right side of the fairway. Also aim your drives base on pin placement. If the pin is back right and there's a bunker on the front right, then you don't want your drive on the right side of the fairway. If you don't want to worry about the super spins, you should at least do the basic backspin on your approach shots.

AkuMifune

Banned
My own breakthrough came when I stopped pushing for birdies and just started shooting for par.

Take it easy and the birdies will come, but if you push it you'll put yourself in some crappy situations.

depward

Darn it, my 3rd and 7th became 10th and 17th. Only one extra point for me.

Just maxed the loyalty of all the characters. Now I need to do the special shots and get that Albatross. I had trouble with the homing one last night I hit multiple pins with backspin but nothing happened. Can you not do homing from inside 15 yards?

Correct. I did my homing shot from about 60 yards. Rising + spiral can be from any distance.

Ranking has been slipping (38th) because I was grinding out loyalty for each character. Now that is done, focusing on trying to get some top 10s.

Only have the Sold Out trophy left!! That's exciting.

krae_man

I think I may just wait for it to happen naturally. I do backspin on most of my approach shots anyway.

Moved back up to 7th in the Dailies. 6th and 5th are within my grasp. The rest are way ahead of me. I'd need them to miss a day to have any chance of catching up.

I hope they do a tournament with prizes of some kind with the dailies at some point. That would be cool

depward

My result for today's 18 hole daily:

t4HdD.jpg

Hit a -20 for 12th place?! With a whole lot of the day to go. Guess it's because of the mega cup but still...

Also - that par killed me :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There's really nothing better than getting a long chip-in on a super backspin naturally (not hitting pin, just backspin right into the hole). I love spin even though when you compare it to some of the things you have to sacrifice to get it it's kind of tough to go for. Especially sidespin.

hort22

Does every character suck at chipping? I swear any other hot shots game I've played I haven't this much problem with the approach shots.

krae_man

Does every character suck at chipping? I swear any other hot shots game I've played I haven't this much problem with the approach shots.

I'm hitting them with the same consistency.

Nice rank Dipward, too bad 12th is about the worst position you can possible finish.

There's really nothing better than getting a long chip-in on a super backspin naturally (not hitting pin, just backspin right into the hole). I love spin even though when you compare it to some of the things you have to sacrifice to get it it's kind of tough to go for. Especially sidespin.

I prefer topspin for the down hill approach shots. Way more fun to hit it short and roll it within 3 feet. Often with backspin I find a land near the cup, then backspin further away from it.

Mims

Honestly wish they would change the dailies tournaments to weekly or maybe just start a new weekly tournaments along with the dailies. Kinda hard sometimes to do them everyday and when you don't you are just putting yourself further behind.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm hitting them with the same consistency.

Nice rank Dipward, too bad 12th is about the worst position you can possible finish.

I prefer topspin for the down hill approach shots. Way more fun to hit it short and roll it within 3 feet. Often with backspin I find a land near the cup, then backspin further away from it.

yep it's harder, which is why it's more satisfying :D

blackflag

This game is so frustrating, fun, and addictive all at the same time. I'm having problems with the silver tier but everything before that wasn't bad.

Then yesterday I was in the top 100 by the last hole and hit 5 over on that 1 hole to destroy my score. I gotta be more conservative sometimes. I always choke.

MrPliskin

Banned
What exactly makes a round "official"? I want to go for some of the trophies, but don't know if I should be playing challenge mode only.

btkadams

Don't shoot for the pin, shoot for a spot in front of the pin. A good guide that I use for putting, which perhaps other people use, is that for every inch up, add a foot to your power. Once you are consistently hitting the 10 foot putts, most of the tournaments up until the last 2 are really easy.

Focus on ball placement. Is there a dog leg left? Then aim for the right side of the fairway. Also aim your drives base on pin placement. If the pin is back right and there's a bunker on the front right, then you don't want your drive on the right side of the fairway. If you don't want to worry about the super spins, you should at least do the basic backspin on your approach shots.

thanks for the tips guys! i'm kind of grinding at this point to get better clubs/balls because i spent so much on the lobby character haha.

Number45

Do you find them shooting off in one direction or the other even if you get good impact? Make sure you're checking the lie of the ball even on the fairway.

EDIT: Also, Amy has a :) for approach shots.

hort22

Do you find them shooting off in one direction or the other even if you get good impact? Make sure you're checking the lie of the ball even on the fairway.

EDIT: Also, Amy has a :) for approach shots.

I have been seeing on flat lies even if I am I notch right or left of perfect impact or even perfect impact the shots seem offline by a ways...and yah Im adjusting for the slope...all I know is it seems like I'm getting closer to the pin from 100 yards then 40 yards...lol

krae_man

What exactly makes a round "official"? I want to go for some of the trophies, but don't know if I should be playing challenge mode only.

Any tournament without any modifiers(Mega Cup, Unlimited Power Shot, Hit a Tree +1 etc) is an official tournament.

I have been seeing on flat lies even if I am I notch right or left of perfect impact or even perfect impact the shots seem offline by a ways...and yah Im adjusting for the slope...all I know is it seems like I'm getting closer to the pin from 100 yards then 40 yards...lol

Does your characters control stat suck?

They made the short game much harder in this game. Shots travel with a much lower trajectory so a chip's first bounce is way farther from the hole than in HSG5. In HSG5 chips popped up so much in the air that using topspin was the best method for keeping it low enough to have a good chance to go in. And topspin with PI meant a ton of chips going in on rising shots. Whereas in this game chipping with topspin is incredibly risky in most situations because the ball hits the ground so soon after striking it.

They also increased the % variance of the clubs. I choose to do chips with the sand wedge because it gets the highest loft and least roll and it gets between 89-100% on power whereas in HSG5 it would get probably 95-100% I think? (I say this with my main character I use being Izzak but this seems to be consistent with characters across the board)

It also seems to me getting perfect impact plays a much more important role in the short game. It appears missing PI makes the ball spray further than in HSG5.

One consolation in the short game... this HSG is pretty forgiving when it comes to the speed of balls approaching the pin. A ball can be traveling at the pin at a pretty good clip (compared to HSG5) yet still cling to the pin and drop in the hole, instead of just bouncing off the pin and rolling away.

But overall the instances of chip-ins are way, way down. What was almost a gimme 6-8y chip in HSG5 can be a 50/50 or worse chance in this game.

I liked when I finished a tournament with a -8 yet as of the time playing I was in last place.

Yeah, it's a little weird in how it tabulates your provisional ranking after each hole. Until your score gets to the whatever final score people are shooting on average it won't tell you you've moved up any. For instance the average score on that course might've been -10 and until you get to -11 it doesn't tell you you're any higher than last which certainly won't be the case when all the scores have been posted.

krae_man

Yeah, it's a little weird in how it tabulates your provisional ranking after each hole. Until your score gets to the whatever final score people are shooting on average it won't tell you you've moved up any. For instance the average score on that course might've been -10 and until you get to -11 it doesn't tell you you're any higher than last which certainly won't be the case when all the scores have been posted.

Yeah it compares your current score to what the final scores for everyone who completed their round was. You move up with every birdie and only sometimes with a par(when the points you gained that round is enough to pass someone). On the megacup 10 hole yournaments you might not move up a single place in the front 9 when the worst finished score is like -11.

It probably would be better if they showed rankings per hole like. Say you get a hole in one on the opening par 4, list you at first place with a -3 after hole 1. instead of 660th/660 since it's an 18 hole megacup tournament and nobody finished with a score worse then -3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It probably would be better if they showed rankings per hole like. Say you get a hole in one on the opening par 4, list you at first place with a -3 after hole 1. instead of 660th/660 since it's an 18 hole megacup tournament and nobody finished with a score worse then -3.

That would be cool. I don't mind the current system though.

On the megacup 10 hole yournaments you might not move up a single place in the front 9 when the worst finished score is like -11.

That's not the worst finished score, it's the average for all players thus far and it doesn't tell you you've finished any better than last until you eclipse the average score.

I'm sure people are posting some really rotten scores we just don't see them at the end of the day because the rankings don't display past 100. You've played online in GFs, I'm sure you've seen how many players struggle to shoot par even with mega cup. Like the hat's -8 will be far from last place when the scores are finalized.

Number45

Two weird things I've just noticed:

1. I am much better at the impact if I lift my finger away from the button and press rather than resting on the button
  2. I constantly tilt the Vita to try and influence my shots

EDIT: Real golf mode... what? :(

EDIT2: Can someone explain to me how the FUCK real golf mode doesn't count as an official round? First fucking hole in one, in the hardest mode, and it doesn't count.

krae_man

That's not the worst finished score, it's the average for all players thus far and it doesn't tell you you've finished any better than last until you eclipse the average score.

I'm sure people are posting some really rotten scores we just don't see them at the end of the day because the rankings don't display past 100. You've played online in GFs, I'm sure you've seen how many players struggle to shoot par even with mega cup. Like the hat's -8 will be far from last place when the scores are finalized.
You misunderstood me, I really meant -11 being the lowest score. I find in the 18 hole mega cup tournaments, you're in last place the entire front 9.

addyb

What I want to know is what's up with the severe lack of players online? Are people just doing the dailies as there online fix? I'm just finding it strange that well over a 1000 people are doing daily but when I dive into a lobby there's at most say 60-80 people? On some occasions no one has been online?

Is it due to them all being GF at the moment and the experienced crowd are waiting for grades like on the ps3.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You misunderstood me, I really meant -11 being the lowest score. I find in the 18 hole mega cup tournaments, you're in last place the entire front 9.
Not always true, sometimes an eagle on one of the first holes will make me go up one or two spots. For example I remember going up 2 spots after being -4 after the first 3 holes in one of the 18-hole mega cup tournaments.

krae_man

What I want to know is what's up with the severe lack of players online? Are people just doing the dailies as there online fix? I'm just finding it strange that well over a 1000 people are doing daily but when I dive into a lobby there's at most say 60-80 people? On some occasions no one has been online?

Is it due to them all being GF at the moment and the experienced crowd are waiting for grades like on the ps3.

That and you can do the dailies whenever you want as opposed to the tournaments which are 90% waiting and 10% playing.

Not always true, sometimes an eagle on one of the first holes will make me go up one or two spots. For example I remember going up 2 spots after being -4 after the first 3 holes in one of the 18-hole mega cup tournaments.

I know, it all depends on what everyone does in that specific tournament.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tournaments are fun and all, but would be better if they cut down on the waiting. Could easily cut the length of a normal tournament in half without anyone even having to rush.

Number45

At the moment all I'm doing is the dailies and working through the single player stuff, so no normal online for me at the moment.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Got my second hole in one, was kinda weird, hit the pin right on the top and then fell in the hole. Wasn't a homing ball or anything, just a one in a million thing i guess.

depward

I tend to agree re: online lobbies. The timer needs to be set at "fast" or "very fast" for me to want to play.

That being said - normal timer is OK when you're in a party with someone and chatting it up. Makes the wait a bit more easier.

Also about daily tournaments - why can't they include leaderboards for weekly rankings? It is kind of unfair that I've participated on every one of them... And if some got the game two days after me, they're already down 120ish points or so. And as krae has been saying, point distribution is a bit funky...

Top Bottom