• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Love this game so far, but I really really miss a good tutorial / guide.
I got the loyalty level 3 and now I can pull of some shots. But how the hell do I pull them off and how does the loyalty system work?

There seems to be much more to this game, than just a simple golf game, but without a decent explanation I'm feeling that I'm not really making any progress. Is there any good online manual?

To pull off the shots, you need to hit the pin with super backspin (Homing Shot), super sidespin (Spiral Shot) or super topspin (Rising Shot). To do a super spin, hold one direction down while setting power and then the opposite button when setting impact (and you need to hit perfect impact (0%) for the spin to take effect).

Power/Impact
Down/Up - Super Topspin
Up/Down - Super Backspin
Left/Right or Right/Left - Super Sidespin

As for loyalty, imagine one full round of 18 holes is worth 2 points. To level up:

0-1: 2 points
1-2: 4 points
2-3: 6 points
3-4: 8 points

krae_man

To pull off the shots, you need to hit the pin with super backspin (Homing Shot), super sidespin (Spiral Shot) or super topspin (Rising Shot). To do a super spin, hold one direction down while setting power and then the opposite button when setting impact (and you need to hit perfect impact (0%) for the spin to take effect).

Power/Impact
Down/Up - Super Topspin
Up/Down - Super Backspin

As for loyalty, imagine one full round of 18 holes is worth 2 points. To level up:

3-4: 8 points
?

Yes you are correct. You need to play 10 18 hole rounds to max loyalty a player.

Level 1: 1 18 hole round
Level 2: 2 18 hole rounds
Level 3: 3 18 hole rounds
level 4: 4 18 hole rounds

Power/Impact
Down/Up - Super Topspin
Up/Down - Super Backspin

3-4: 8 points?

Awesome! Gonna try it asap :D

@ Krae_man: also thank you _O_

Yes you are correct. You need to play 10 18 hole rounds to max loyalty a player.

Level 1: 1 18 hole round
Level 2: 2 18 hole rounds
Level 3: 3 18 hole rounds
level 4: 4 18 hole rounds

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was 4 or 5 18 hole rounds. I never upgraded a character fully on one run.

MrPliskin

Banned
So I've managed to to skip the ball 3 times on the water in a tourney, but no trophy dong? Can I just play stroke mode and unlocl trophies that way?

Also, any tips for a 350 yard drive? Can you do it with Max?

So I've managed to to skip the ball 3 times on the water in a tourney, but no trophy dong? Can I just play stroke mode and unlocl trophies that way?

Also, any tips for a 350 yard drive? Can you do it with Max?

Three times in one shot or 3 separate times? It has to be 3 times in one shot.

If you did 3 bounces in a shot, you must have done it in an unofficial round (Big Cup, Sunny, Low Wind etc.). You can unlock the trophies in Stroke mode.

Can't remember where I got my 350y drive but Max is the strongest base character so it should be relatively easy once you find somewhere.

MrPliskin

Banned
Three times in one shot or 3 separate times? It has to be 3 times in one shot.

If you did 3 bounces in a shot, you must have done it in an unofficial round (Big Cup, Sunny, Low Wind etc.). You can unlock the trophies in Stroke mode.

Can't remember where I got my 350y drive but Max is the strongest base character so it should be relatively easy once you find somewhere.

Yep, got 3 skips and nothing came of that. Been trying again but all my balls just sink.

Also can't find anywhere to do a 350m drive.

Kazerei

Banned
Damn damn damn what a load of bullshit. I went for a nice long chip-in, and the ball hit the pin and got stuck. Had to tap it in with a putter. Argh.

5D7F4.jpg

I love how this game is kicking my ass. I also really like how I'm slowly getting better (rising from the bottom half to the top half/quarter of the daily tournaments), but I can't really articulate WHY I'm getting better. Just practice and experience. The game hasn't left my Vita since I got it a couple weeks ago.

I'm starting to figure out the proper situations for Super Top/Backspin, but haven't found Super Sidespins terribly helpful yet. In time it will come, I'm sure...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
alex what's a good hole to get the 30+ ft putt crown challenge (think it's one of the early ones)? i hate putting.

alex what's a good hole to get the 30+ ft putt crown challenge (think it's one of the early ones)? i hate putting.

Hmm, it's hard to say since the pin locations rotate. For this challenge I tried placing every approach shot 30+ feet away in a spot that left me a desirable putt (flat or uphill if possible). Thankfully it's an early challenge and doesn't require a good score to fulfil the "win tournament" portion.

Playing through it right now, the 3H Par 3 looks like a good opportunity if it gives you a good pin. 4H I had a flat spot and good pin, too. The best advice for this one is just keep plugging away at it until you get it, I think.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What do you mean which is a good hole for the crown? You have to do the 30'+ challenge on 3-1.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot. I misread your question.

naib

Finally got my first hole in one. Right in the middle of the worst round I've ever played. Go figure.

Have stars on everything up to silver. But silver is kicking my ass. Finally got first on the first one. The pin placements can be maddening.

Grinding on the daylies to get all my characters up in between silver attempts.

I love this sometimes infuriating game. :)

Syn23

In 6-2 I won without going out of bounds or hitting the water, but I didn't get a crown. Has this been reported to be glitched?

Number45

Yeah, seems likely. I'm going for these crowns while building loyalty with characters, which probably isn't the best way of going about it...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh wow i woulda thought you got that already!

i still need spiral. i do lots of sidespin but very rarely on the actual approach shot. need to just suck it up and do sidespin on a crappy chip in. but even those aren't as easy as they used to be.

krae_man

I'm new to the series so I have a dumb question... How do you make the ball home-in on the hole like that?

There are three types of special shots. Homing, Rising and Spiral shot.

You perform a homing shot by pressing up on the D pad when selecting power and down when selecting impact.

You perform a rising shot by pressing down when selecting power and up while selecting impact

You perform a spiral shot while pressing left while selecting power and right while selecting impact(or vise versa).

All three require perfect impact and your character must be level 3 in loyalty before you can perform them.

If you do the direction presses correctly and your shot hits the pin, it will happen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeeeee just got my albatross and spiral shot on the same glorious shot :D

NjuLK.jpg

v2Td8.jpg

JJfg4.jpg

was so excited i forgot to check out my dude's dance

did a diagonal super backspin glad it registered as spiral

hitmon

There are three types of special shots. Homing, Rising and Spiral shot.

You perform a homing shot by pressing up on the D pad when selecting power and down when selecting impact.

You perform a rising shot by pressing down when selecting power and up while selecting impact

You perform a spiral shot while pressing left while selecting power and right while selecting impact(or vise versa).

All three require perfect impact and your character must be level 3 in loyalty before you can perform them.

If you do the direction presses correctly and your shot hits the pin, it will happen.

Good to know, thanks for the directions. As far as characters go, do the starting characters become useless once later characters are unlocked? As in the ratings are just overall better for later unlockable characters?

Syn23

In 6-2 I won without going out of bounds or hitting the water, but I didn't get a crown. Has this been reported to be glitched?
It happened again today. I won the last vs battle
versus Izzak (Isaac)
and won in three shots, using the default club and ball, and didn't get a crown. What am I possibly doing wrong?

CSSer

When it says use the default club, it means to use the initial club it gives you before each golf shot.

So, say if you drive the ball into the bunker. Before you take your shot, the game originally gives you some 152 yard iron, which is way less than the amount of yards to reach the green. You must use that 152 yard iron, and can't change it to some higher yard club to reach the green.

Syn23

When it says use the default club, it means to use the initial club it gives you before each golf shot.

So, say if you drive the ball into the bunker. Before you take your shot, the game originally gives you some 152 yard iron, which is way less than the amount of yards to reach the green. You must use that 152 yard iron, and can't change it to some higher yard club to reach the green.
Oh well, my bad, I totally misunderstood that. The italian translation is terrible, and it didn't clarify that. Thanks for your help.

krae_man

Good to know, thanks for the directions. As far as characters go, do the starting characters become useless once later characters are unlocked? As in the ratings are just overall better for later unlockable characters?

I guess it all depends on what kind of character you want to play. All have different strengths. The level 3 clubs and balls have a greater impact. Personally, since I'm an advanced player, The Expert players work better for me.

yeeeee just got my albatross and spiral shot on the same glorious shot :D

was so excited i forgot to check out my dude's dance

did a diagonal super backspin glad it registered as spiral

I have terrible luck with that hole. Every time I try to hit it over that building I hit the roof. I can't tell why my shots get no height. Whenever I don't go for the green my shot somehow looks like it would have cleared everything fine. I've tried landing in the same area you are so the ball lies on an upslope to get the extra height but it doesn't seem to help.

Edit: Also, nobody seems to have a high shot trajectory. Everyone is Low or Mid.

Number45

I got my first homing shot last night... before (literally, it unlocked after that round) I unlocked the homing shot for that character. :'(

Vlodril

Hey is there a guide out there for newbies because this is the first hot shot golf i played and i have no idea what i am doing :)

Also the google doc mentioned in the op is busted is there another somewhere?

Thank you. Doesn't explain about topspin or backspin but i get most of it now.

(I wrote that guide ;))

Topspin makes the ball fly lower than normal, is less affected by the wind and rolls more/further. Great for adding distance.

Backspin makes the ball fly higher than normal and is more affected by the wind. The ball rolls less and is great for stopping on the green.

dantehemi

Just played my first intl tourneys. First was the 63rd daily, where I scored -3 and placed in the 400's out of 1100. Nest was the 64th daily, scored -4 and placed 360 out of 700.

What kinda results are you guys getting? Just want to know what to really shoot for. Is placing middle of the pack a good acomplishment? Or is getting into the top 100 more of what needs to be done?

Having a great time with this game...can't wait for my first game against a gaffer. PSN- dantehemi

Number45

Just played my first intl tourneys. First was the 63rd daily, where I scored -3 and placed in the 400's out of 1100. Nest was the 64th daily, scored -4 and placed 360 out of 700.

What kinda results are you guys getting? Just want to know what to really shoot for. Is placing middle of the pack a good acomplishment? Or is getting into the top 100 more of what needs to be done?

Having a great time with this game...can't wait for my first game against a gaffer. PSN- dantehemi

So you're aware, you'll find out tomorrow what your actual position is as it tallies up when the day is complete (not sure what timezone this works to). You get a notable finish if you're in the top 100, so I guess that's the immediate aim (I've only managed it once so far, but then I'm working on character loyalty so often going in with odd characters), but you should of course be aiming for number 1!

Top Bottom