• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 BIOS Update

Pat

Well, crap. I literally ordered one last friday and it should be in my mailbox tonight or tomorrow. Newegg Canada is not particularly cool with returns so I think I'm going to stick with the card. I also already redeemed my free digital GoW4.

Got a few questions:

1) How can I know if the vBIOS fix is already applied on my card?
2) Is the warranty on these specifics GPU models extended since it's a big problem?
3) To check on GPU temp, you use GPU-Z?

Thanks!

Vuze

Well, crap. I literally ordered one last friday and it should be in my mailbox tonight or tomorrow. Newegg Canada is not particularly cool with returns so I think I'm going to stick with the card. I also already redeemed my free digital GoW4.

Got a few questions:

1) How can I know if the vBIOS fix is already applied on my card?
2) Is the warranty on these specifics GPU models extended since it's a big problem?
3) To check on GPU temp, you use GPU-Z?

Thanks!

1) It certainly isn't.
2) No.
3) Yeah, anything will do. But again, it's the VRM/RAM temp that is a concern, Core temp (the only GPU temp any utility will tell you) has never been the problem.

Tfault

For those that own 1060 cards, EVGA have now issued a new bios.

UPDATE:

After some more testing we will be releasing updated BIOS's for GTX 1060 cards with ACX 3.0 cooling for a more aggressive fan curve. Several BIOS's are updated in first post with more on the way.

EVGA Forums

06G-P4-6264-KB - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62)
06G-P4-6267-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62)

Widge

It's been like this for ages, it's nothing new. You could also say that about consoles too since they have their share of problems

The trials and tribulations of PC owning far outweigh anything I've been through with a console. I've been on board since x800GTO2 days and have learnt many a lesson only in expensive and painful ways.

I updated the BIOS and ordered the thermal pads (did not arrive yet). I overclocked the 1080 FTW more than the gimped post-blackscreen+fan issue core clock and I got the black screen issue again. I will wait for the thermal pads and finally decide on what to do with the card.

The issue is very frequent when I keep the boost speeds under 2025Mhz (I rarely get it with my current setup). The GPU is very usable and barely has issues, so I will wait for the 1080ti.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he thinks that consoles are any different.

And consoles are not easy to fix or simply replace their parts. No amount of GPU replacing or reballing fixed my ol' Xbox 360. It worked for 6 months after attempting to reball the GPU and clean the old thermal paste. Then it just died. At least there is an immediate fix for broken PC parts, whereas you have to deal with a lot of bullcrap when replacing your whole console, which is something that is becoming increasingly complicated ever since consoles started using internal storage devices (the friggin' PS3).

Luckily, I only had to deal with the weak-ass laser reader from the Gamecube, RRoD and some PS2 issues with the fan and tray.

Weevilone

Release card with super silent performance, get thru the review period,... then release a noisy bios that cools well enough. Ok, thanks EVGA..

Will remember this for sure. Meanwhile the superfans defend them like mad on their forums. LOL

Revas

Release card with super silent performance, get thru the review period,... then release a noisy bios that cools well enough. Ok, thanks EVGA..

Will remember this for sure. Meanwhile the superfans defend them like mad on their forums. LOL

Do you think this is a conspiracy?

It's moreso a giant mistake.

suikodan

I have a EVGA GTX 1070 with the BIOS update applied. I run games like Witcher 3, BF1 and Gears of War 4 at least at 1440p and while the GPU usage is 90% and more, the temperature never exceeds 60 degrees.

I've had problems with GPUs where the temperature was above 90 degrees so I shouldn't worry much at 60, right?

I have a EVGA GTX 1070 with the BIOS update applied. I run games like Witcher 3, BF1 and Gears of War 4 at least at 1440p and while the GPU usage is 90% and more, the temperature never exceeds 60 degrees.

I've had problems with GPUs where the temperature was above 90 degrees so I shouldn't worry much at 60, right?

GPU temps are irrelevant to the VRM/PWN temps and how that affects the VRAM closest to it, especially if those modules have thermal pads that fail to make adequate contact to the heat spreader.

Iced

Assuming those are core temps, they seem perfectly fine to me. I have a 1070 FTW and Witcher 3 runs at 75 degrees for me with GPU usage at 100%. I have my card overclocked, though.

Kysen

Installed the bios and fuck the noise is unreal. Temps gone down like 6c but the noise in return isn't worth it :(

Iced

Installed the bios and fuck the noise is unreal. Temps gone down like 6c but the noise in return isn't worth it :(

Really? I've noticed absolutely no noise difference, and my gpu is housed in an NZXT S340.

Is anyone else's card noticeably louder?

Edit: I ran Unigine Heaven and these were my results from GPU-Z:

Max temp: 70 degrees
Max fan speed (%): 47
Max fan speed (rpm): 1533

My bios says 86.04.50.01.72, so it definitely flashed properly. I can barely hear my fans spinning though. Like, ever. I have MSI Afterburner installed on my system but it's only to set an overclock. I previously messed with custom fan curves, but now I don't even run the program and just have the oc settings set to start with Windows. I had Precision installed at one point too, but I can't remember if I set a curve in there or not. Could that be why?

Kadin

Just got 2 emails from UPS about the scheduled delivery for my 1070 SC swap. It's due to be delivered this coming Monday the 14th. I'll try to update again on that day once I get it and try to do some comparisons of the card if I can.

Having not done an RMA through EVGA before, is it required that I call/email first before entering the RMA? I'd rather just have them do the BIOS/thermal pad installation or just send me a new one. From the RMA screen it's got the red message 'In order to start an RMA it is required you enter a ticket number given from tech support', but the support ticket number field is populated with a number so it looks like I can just submit the form as is.

Timeline: Started RMA process for 1080 on November 3rd. Cross-shipped replacement arrived this evening (November 11.) Installed - works fine, still very quiet, even a bit faster in benchmarks (but probably just normal variance in testing.)

It's a bummer that there was a big enough issue that they had to do this, but EVGA makes the process pretty painless.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking I want to RMA mine just because it was such an expensive piece of equipment, but it does seem inconvenient. I can RMA at any time throughout my 3 year warranty right? Might just wait until a problem crops up. I'm pretty lazy, kinda hard to decide.

for anyone that has the GTX 1080 SC and didn't install the thermal pads what are your temps running several multiplayer rounds of Battlefield 1? curious..

Mine used to run at about 83 and now it runs at 73 in Battlefield 1. Still seems kinda high..Idle it sits around 54 which seems pretty high considering my 970 used to sit at 28-33 idle.

I applied the update to my FTW 1080 ACX and noise hasn't been a concern. The fans don't kick in until I actually start a more straining program meaning my at rest temps can climb if I'm streaming or doing some graphical design, but the highest my temp has climbed is 76 under full load. Stock settings, No OC.

My replacement finally shipped last night, arriving Tuesday because of the weekend. Also the thermal pads I ordered before I put in the RMA have also been mailed, lol.

Thinking I want to RMA mine just because it was such an expensive piece of equipment, but it does seem inconvenient. I can RMA at any time throughout my 3 year warranty right? Might just wait until a problem crops up. I'm pretty lazy, kinda hard to decide.

How long has it been? How well does your current card boost at stock and OC? If it's been 30 days or less since you bought it you can get a new card to replace it, after 30 days it'll be a refurb and if it's a refurb yeah you might as well keep it but you really should add the thermal pads.

They're currently doing cross ship RMAs which is them sending you a card and you replacing it and then sending your old one back in the box with the return shipping already paid for and they're doing it without putting a hold on your credit card for the full amount as they usually do so there's not much inconvenience there.

Pat

If I open up the GPU myself to install those thermal pads and download the vBIOS fix, there is no need to do a RMA right?

I mean the cards that they give you in return have the same design problem, it's just that they install the TP and vBIOS for you?

Vuze

If I open up the GPU myself to install those thermal pads and download the vBIOS fix, there is no need to do a RMA right?

I mean the cards that they give you in return have the same design problem, it's just that they install the TP and vBIOS for you?
Exactly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How long has it been? How well does your current card boost at stock and OC? If it's been 30 days or less since you bought it you can get a new card to replace it, after 30 days it'll be a refurb and if it's a refurb yeah you might as well keep it but you really should add the thermal pads.

They're currently doing cross ship RMAs which is them sending you a card and you replacing it and then sending your old one back in the box with the return shipping already paid for and they're doing it without putting a hold on your credit card for the full amount as they usually do so there's not much inconvenience there.
It's been more than 30 days.
.. I actually haven't thoroughly tested the card yet because I've been waiting to complete a case mod before I can fit it in my dang case. I did spend a really great morning playing DOOM with it hooked up by a riser cable and it was badass.

I just put in the order for the thermal pads, I figure it won't be too big of a deal to install them myself. I'll also put some arctic silver in there for good luck.

I watched the video and it seems like a straightforward procedure but I also remember reading that EVGA will cover you even if you mess it up on your own. Is that right?

Sidenote: I just got my powerlink yesterday (the thing that routes the power cables to the bottom of the card. And its very cool!

Well applied the Firmware update without any issues, but have decided to RMA my GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 as have been having the black screen 100% fan issue every now and then.

This card was received on the 3rd October, tech support said that the BS100% issue was fixed beginning of September and supposedly my card was manufactured after that.

Can't guarantee if it will be a new card or refurbishment though :(

I didn't know this was a thing until just now. I had the 100% + black screen thing a few times back in July, but I haven't had an incident in at least 2 months. I had assumed it was a driver issue.

I ordered the pads to install myself, but should I just RMA the card? Sort of worried about the longevity of a card that has been operating with questionable parts for months. I've been on my own custom curve since July so I don't expect the bios update will make any difference for me anyway.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Calabi

I'm not sure why people are so bothered by refurbs their tested and made sure to work, they'd probably be more reliable than the new ones.

Vuze

I'm not sure why people are so bothered by refurbs their tested and made sure to work, they'd probably be more reliable than the new ones.
Well, if you like getting a refurbished video card for your 800€ simply because the company fucked up (multiple times)... good for you. I deem this inadequate for the asking price.

_woLf

Yeah, they shouldn't be supplying people with refurbs. You bought a new card that was faulty. They should replace it with a new card. Not a used card.

This is pretty lame.

Kadin

Okay I got my card in and it's connected and working just fine. My old card would normally idle around 30-32c. This one is now idling at just about the same temps. I never really ran any programs to push it so I can't speak to how much better it is under full load.

While I purchased the original card shortly after launch, it appears they sent me a brand new card because I cannot see any indication of it being refurbished. It was sealed with all the plastic on it exactly as day one. All the same included materials like the poster, extra cable, EVGA emblem, etc.

The two differences I noticed are shown below and I have a couple other pictures showing comparisons but they don't show much cause I'm not the best photographer. They seem identical except what I highlighted.

edit: the card is actually running at 28c now consistently with the same fan curve I had before so clearly it's an improvement. It does still have the same coil whine the other one did when I'm playing Path of Exile with graphics all the way up (shadows off) and in my hideout which has a lot of stuff like fog, embers, etc. (prob more an issue with my bronze PSU)

New card on bottom:
x6DRDi0.jpg

Old card did not say "HF":
Additional Pictures

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Okay I got my card in and it's connected and working just fine. My old card would normally idle around 30-32c. This one is now idling at just about the same temps. I never really ran any programs to push it so I can't speak to how much better it is under full load.

While I purchased the original card shortly after launch, it appears they sent me a brand new card because I cannot see any indication of it being refurbished. It was sealed with all the plastic on it exactly as day one. All the same included materials like the poster, extra cable, EVGA emblem, etc.

The two differences I noticed are shown below and I have a couple other pictures showing comparisons but they don't show much cause I'm not the best photographer. They seem identical except what I highlighted.

edit: the card is actually running at 28c now consistently with the same fan curve I had before so clearly it's an improvement. It does still have the same coil whine the other one did when I'm playing Path of Exile with graphics all the way up (shadows off) and in my hideout which has a lot of stuff like fog, embers, etc. (prob more an issue with my bronze PSU)

New card on bottom:

Old card did not say "HF":

Additional Pictures

First pic you highlighted the "mouse bites", these are where waste rails are attached during manufacture and then removed. Depending on the method used for removal, as well as PCB manufacturing differences, they can appear slightly different. These have no bearing on the function of the PCBA.

The second is the denotation for Halogen Free. Again, no bearing on functionality.

Tfault

I didn't know this was a thing until just now. I had the 100% + black screen thing a few times back in July, but I haven't had an incident in at least 2 months. I had assumed it was a driver issue.

I ordered the pads to install myself, but should I just RMA the card? Sort of worried about the longevity of a card that has been operating with questionable parts for months. I've been on my own custom curve since July so I don't expect the bios update will make any difference for me anyway.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Did a bit more testing on my 1080 FTW and it consistently goes 100%FBS when it hits around 50 Degree C and the boost clock hits around 2000, I have not changed anything from the defaults. So seems a 'dud'.

If the pads come in time I will apply them and retest to see if it makes any difference, but I suspect in my case not.

From what you say it seems that your card has not shown the issue since July, so personally I would keep it and just do the pads mod and see what happens. You could always RMA it later on if it starts playing up.

But yeah, hard call really.

Pat

So I flashed the vBIOS, it updated successfully according to the command prompt... I rebooted and it looks like I have to re-install the drivers, is that normal?

EDIT: Well, just did and everything seems to be ok. vBIOS version is also right.

brau

So how do i flash 2 bios here? I installed the first one a few weeks ago and everything was good. ran the second one and now it shows this.

What am i missing?

Also, what is the temp im looking for? to see if this got fixed.

Lastly, any recommendations on how much to push this card as far as OC?

_woLf

So how do i flash 2 bios here? I installed the first one a few weeks ago and everything was good. ran the second one and now it shows this.

What am i missing?

Also, what is the temp im looking for? to see if this got fixed.

Lastly, any recommendations on how much to push this card as far as OC?

Did you flip the bios switch on the side of the card?

_woLf

No i did not. There is a switch? (please forgive my ignorance).

There should be a little switch on the edge of your card somewhere. Its a bios switch. Its on bios 1 by default. You install the new bios for bios 1 per evga, then turn off pc, flip switch, reboot, and install the new bios for bios 2. They are not the same file though so make sure you install the right one to each.

That's my understanding of how it works at least. I haven't done it yet myself. :)

Leks

1080 SC out of stock in Europe, I'm stuck with my old GTX 670 a little longer. It's been 11 days since EVGA has approved my advanced RMA.

EVGA proposed a FTW model but it won't fit in my case, shame. :/

Vuze

EVGA eventually approved my refund request! Have to come up for shipping but I'm happy they agreed to refund my 1080 FTW (it's a launch model so it got all faults... Blackscreen + 100% fan issue, VRM temps, RAM pads and whatever else will be uncovered lol). Hope the process is hassle free.

Not sure whether to pick up one of the cheaper 1080s, 1070s or entirely hold out for the Ti though ��

Iced

Has anyone received their pads yet? I requested mine on November 5 and haven't heard from EVGA since. I assumed there would be a tracking number.

brau

There should be a little switch on the edge of your card somewhere. Its a bios switch. Its on bios 1 by default. You install the new bios for bios 1 per evga, then turn off pc, flip switch, reboot, and install the new bios for bios 2. They are not the same file though so make sure you install the right one to each.

That's my understanding of how it works at least. I haven't done it yet myself. :)

Right on. I'll have to try this. If i flashed the bios with the wrong one is that a problem?

Top Bottom