• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

I feel like a scrub asking this, but what does Download Complete reference? Google-fu sucks.

It means you solved an opponent's fighting style, and they present no further threat to you with said character.

See that Infil gif? That set-up catches oh, just about everyone. Not him.
Plus the 3 perfects, etc. By the end, he knew, hence download complete.

Just like Tekken Master actually did the same to SonicFox until he played Alien.
That was what had him worried--he 3-0'd most of the scene en route to GF, and suddenly had problems. Still won, but it was much, much closer.

depths20XX

Who gives a fuck if FGC beats MOBA levels or whatever. I don't want our scene to be poverty but coming from an arcade scene has made this a totally different climb than most competitive "esports".

Ploid 3.0

Z8hbhna.gif

depths20XX

Just like Tekken Master actually did the same to SonicFox until he played Alien.
That was what had him worried--he 3-0'd most of the scene en route to GF, and suddenly had problems. Still won, but it was much, much closer.

Such a good point. I was hype to see Tekken Master win and I think he had SonicFox figured out. You could tell when Sonic picked Alien though he was just done.

From arcades , then dark ages , and now we are on ESPN. FGC have a come a long way and we owe a lot of that to SFIV and Ono. Without him begging capcom to help him make another SF game at a time when FGs were considered not "profitable". He and SFIV brought us a long way IMO. I think none of this would have been possible today without SFIV.

LiK

From arcades , then dark ages , and now we are on ESPN. FGC have a come a long way and we owe a lot of that to SFIV and Ono. Without him begging capcom to help him make another SF game at a time when FGs were considered not "profitable". He and SFIV brought us a long way IMO. I think none of this would have been possible today without SFIV.

all hail Ono

depths20XX

No lies detected.

Neoxon

Based Ono

Such a good point. I was hype to see Tekken Master win and I think he had SonicFox figured out. You could tell when Sonic picked Alien though he was just done.

A big part of that was the Kotal Khan damage mitigation/output for the different variations--a lot of SF's combos that usually eat 28-40% weren't doing anywhere near that...until he picked Alien. Once the acid even'd it out, that was it. He did test out some of that with the caltrops, but it wasn't enough because the damage traded every time in Kotal's favor.

And also, yea, final form SonicFox is the real final boss.
After that first round with Alien, TM was done. Great showing regardless, we'll see if everyone runs to Kotal Khan now lol.

From the ESPN article:

"[Removing the hat] was a way for me to relax and also it helps me focus, so I kind of always say, 'the limiters are coming off now,'" he explained, laughing.

Great set, great story. I encourage anyone who interested in FGC to watch.

Riposte

While there was the usual bashing of ESPN showing videogames, I find the positive reaction to it by people who know very little or nothing about Street Fighter to be cute. People mentioning how their parents reacted and stuff like that. It's a perspective on this that's wholly alien from my own.

depths20XX

A big part of that was the Kotal Khan damage mitigation/output for the different variations--a lot of SF's combos that usually eat 28-40% weren't doing anywhere near that...until he picked Alien. Once the acid even'd it out, that was it. He did test out some of that with the caltrops, but it wasn't enough because the damage traded every time in Kotal's favor.

After that first round with Alien, TM was done. Great showing regardless, we'll see if everyone runs to Kotal Khan now lol.

Hell yeah. That was one of my favorite matches of EVO and I don't even follow MKX. Aris did a great job on commentary and you could really see SonicFox getting pushed to his limits.

While there was the usual bashing of ESPN showing videogames, I find the positive reaction to it by people who know very little or nothing about Street Fighter to be cute. People mentioning how their parents reacted and stuff like that. It's a perspective on this that's wholly alien from my own.

I acutally saw way more positive reaction to EVO on twitter than those MOBA games they broadcasted on ESPN. Fighting games are easy to understand. That MOBA stuff is too complicated for casual audience to get into.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You know, its not a stretch to think that fighting games going mainstream like this makes the possibility of a MvC4 more real.

Hell people just call these games "Marvel" as it is, if Evo became big on tv, I bet they wouldnt mind having the brand out there more.

Keylow415

i think its because fighting games is like boxing or mma you might not know the small things thats going on that much but its fast and exciting to watch. and with good commentating too

good example right here https://twitter.com/Movement4Ages

Line_HTX

I'm very happy that Bill Walton at his age is getting into this. I thought it was mind blowing that he was holding his own playing stick while at E3, but now here at EVO, he's mentioning every single reason outside of the games themselves to see that this is The Future and just hearing him say Chris G just brings a huge smile to my face.

Great insight on the opportunity to grow the scene, and he fully understands the FGC hype, YAAASSSSSS~

I acutally saw way more positive reaction to EVO on twitter than those MOBA games they broadcasted on ESPN. Fighting games are easy to understand. That MOBA stuff is too complicated for casual audience to get into.

Yea, Fighting games in general are easier to watch.
Well, the SFs and MK's of the world anyway.

Same thing with driving.
FPS too, though the modes might be confusing for a first time viewer.

Daft Punk

Banned

From the ESPN article:

Great set, great story. I encourage anyone who interested in FGC to watch.

lol Kotal Khan has always been a threat. Just watch Alukard, Mr. Aquaman, etc.

XenoRaven

I was thinking the same thing. The action is immediately recognizable to a casual audience. In a MOBA, you have to know the game to really understand what's happening.

One second he says it's for man children, then the next second he says he can't look away? I guess I'll take it.

It highlights what many of us have said about fighting games being perfect for TV. They're very simple to understand to anyone. So someone that isn't even interested in games could see one being played and understand what's going on because it's just two characters (well, depending on the game) fighting one another. It's as straight forward as it gets. It also doesn't require camera to jump around to different areas of the map like in Moba's or shooters.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I know there's a discussion about tv right now (yay e-sports) but this was my first major (spectating, going to try playing in Canada Cup) and probably some of the most fun I've had vg related in my life!

Anyone on GAF going to Canada Cup this year?

The hype is real boys and girls!

depths20XX

It highlights what many of us have said about fighting games being perfect for TV. They're very simple to understand to anyone. So someone that isn't even interested in games could see one being played and understand what's going on because it's just two characters (well, depending on the game) fighting one another. It's as straight forward as it gets. It also doesn't require camera to jump around to different areas of the map like in Moba's or shooters.

Yup, simple to understand but takes work to be good at. They don't rely on a team format that is difficult to broadcast like a lot of other games. I'm also impressed with the way ESPN handled it and didn't dumb it down. Sure they hyped up LI Joe but that was expected and honestly a good thing to promote the scene.

Yup, simple to understand but takes work to be good at. They don't rely on a team format that is difficult to broadcast like a lot of other games. I'm also impressed with the way ESPN handled it and didn't dumb it down. Sure they hyped up LI Joe but that was expected and honestly a good thing to promote the scene.

I thought that was a brilliant move at the time. They basically took what I call the American Ninja Warrior route. They focused a lot of telling the story of this man and his journey. And for anybody who doesn't know a thing about FG's or Joe and kept watching, I'm sure that must have made them want to root for him. Especially when they found out his father flew overnight so he could cheer for him in person.

Top Bottom