• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

I don't see how him dropping combos to teabag or bringing teabags with his face on them to a tournament is "pushing them to do better". I really hope he keeps taking the approach he took this weekend because his talent would make him so easy to cheer for but until he proves it I'm not just going to jump on TeamPunk because he was emotional after Evo.
You know if everyone behave like jeter things would be boring but alas I understand some folks don't like the flashiness. Just like Du gets under people's skin.

Punk lost when he ran sets with Tokido at Justin's. Tokido download him there. Punk was mentally shook yes but he was because Tokido downloaded him then Sandbagged his ass.

Well people have a 1 minute break allowed by EVO rules I think I heard.

So it's very legal.
Aight 1 minute is fine, yeah.

But I've seen tournies where these guys just go to char select and chill for like 5 minutes before picking their same character, and I'm sitting there like, "wtf is this allowed?"

Armaly

DE6aIUqXYAAhqgW.jpg

Punk lost when he ran sets with Tokido at Justin's. Tokido download him there. Punk was mentally shook yes but he was because Tokido downloaded him then Sandbagged his ass.

He did worse than tea bag, taunt combo.. that was the equivalent of getting killed by 3s Ken taunt.. his soul was snatched in real time.

FSLink

Banned
Aight 1 minute is fine, yeah.

But I've seen tournies where these guys just go to char select and chill for like 5 minutes before picking their same character, and I'm sitting there like, "wtf is this allowed?"
It's not really but some TOs don't enforce it as well as others do.

He did worse than tea bag, taunt combo.. that was the equivalent of getting killed by 3s Ken taunt.. his soul was snatched in real time.
Way dirtier because a t-bag puts the offender in no threat. The taunt is a legit FU because it shows blatant disregard to the foe because you're actually at risk.

Delicious for that to happen to him, then a demon.

JayEH

Way dirtier because a t-bag puts the offender in no threat. The taunt is a legit FU because it shows blatant disregard to the foe because you're actually at risk.

Yes I'm glad Tokido had the balls to taunt. that's why I always hated t-bagging.

I don't think a break would have help punk he broke after the first game .
Also seem he put way to much pressure on him self vs Tokido if what people say is true .
GF was just to much for him at this stage vs someone with so much experience that was on a good run .

Xeteh

You know if everyone behave like jeter things would be boring but alas I understand some folks don't like the flashiness. Just like Du gets under people's skin.

People having "fun" by looking down on the people they beat might be entertaining for you but I'm not going to shed a tear when he gets taken down.

Syntsui

Yeah, let's not forget the only match Punk won was immediately after the taunt loss. The problem here is he couldn't keep up with the pressure.

People having "fun" by looking down on the people they beat might be entertaining for you but I'm not going to shed a tear when he gets taken down.

Like I said different strokes, some hate Bryce harper in baseball some don't. I'm all for personality but that's the beauty of it. Can't please everyone tho.

mbpm1

I think realistically it was nerves that prevented Punk from doing his best. but even Punk at his best would not have beaten Tokido. He had answers to punk that nobody has has all year.

How do you stop karin's st. mk? It's a thing most characters cant even get a handle on. Akuma's st. mk can. Punk stopped using it almost entirely as the sets went on.

How do you take advantage of Karin's weak AAs? Her jab is still not bad and she can be tricky if she moves around. Demon flip can cover screen space and attack in ways Karin struggles to handle properly.

How do you handle the rest of her midrange? st. hp, cr. hp, these are great tools to keep the rest of her buttons honest.

How do you close out? Tokido has his fireballs in v-trigger to force sideswitch mixups and pressure. If you recall, Momochi lost to Punk in neutral continuously at SXSW I think it was but landed literally 99% of all sideswitch mixups. It feels like a thing.

As soon as I saw how tokido could make punk scared to st. mk I knew this was gonna be a problem. It felt like a year's worth of searching for answers to Punk being put together into one package.

JayEH

I know some people may not like the stuff Punk does (I'm not a big fan either) but some of y'all acting like he was doing heinous shit lol.

Happy to see though that Old men are still winning in SFV. Daigo, Momochi, Mago2dgod, Jwong, Valle etc. maybe all washed up now and past their prime but I am happy to see they can still win the big tourney sometimes and reminds us again of the good old days.

mbpm1

A taunt that leads to a combo after you've dizzied the opponent at no risk doesn't really fit with that, but I agree.

colinp

Banned

Thanks!

I think realistically it was nerves that prevented Punk from doing his best. but even Punk at his best would not have beaten Tokido. He had answers to punk that nobody has has all year.

How do you stop karin's st. mk? It's a thing most characters cant even get a handle on. Akuma's st. mk can. Punk stopped using it almost entirely as the sets went on.

How do you take advantage of Karin's weak AAs? Her jab is still not bad and she can be tricky if she moves around. Demon flip can cover screen space and attack in ways Karin struggles to handle properly.

How do you handle the rest of her midrange? st. hp, cr. hp, these are great tools to keep the rest of her buttons honest.

How do you close out? Tokido has his fireballs in v-trigger to force sideswitch mixups and pressure. If you recall, Momochi lost to Punk in neutral continuously at SXSW I think it was but landed literally 99% of all sideswitch mixups. It feels like a thing.

As soon as I saw how tokido could make punk scared to st. mk I knew this was gonna be a problem. It felt like a year's worth of searching for answers to Punk being put together into one package.

Nice analysis, thanks for sharing.

Like I said different strokes, some hate Bryce harper in baseball some don't. I'm all for personality but that's the beauty of it. Can't please everyone tho.
It's try-hard tho. He and Du should actually be taunting and risking it, their preferred taunt (t-bagging) shows lack of confidence and/or fear since they just wanna get attention without risk.

And you're talking to a guy who loves FChamp, so it's not that I don't love a good heel. It's just a generational difference, I guess.

:: edit ::

I know some people may not like the stuff Punk does (I'm not a big fan either) but some of y'all acting like he was doing heinous shit lol.
I mean part of it is, you don't see these dudes fall very often, so naturally if you're not a fan you're going to relish in the dogpiling.

People fail to take into consideration Tokido was having long ass sets on the loser side and getting his groove on. Punk steamrolled on winners and just watched for a good awhile in a way the man got cold while Tokido was flowing fight after fight.. Tokido was I. Survival/terminate mode by the time Punk faced him.

Punk is the equivalent of an Nba team sweeping while Tokido is coming off game 7.

This is especially funny because fucking FChamp was in the same top 8.

I don't know what the worst thing Punk did was, but it probably doesn't come close to the shit Champ has done (and I mostly like Champ)

I am curious to see how the casual crowd accepted the ESPN and Disney XD feed. This year had one of the best top 8 EVO imo in last 10 years.

Xeteh

Definitely not saying that, I'm just explaining why I don't see him as a sympathetic figure after tonight.

I'm pretty sure the 4-game team will run the 7-game team's legs out.

I just mean that the game 7 team is more likely to steal a game one since the other team is a rusty due to the time off >.>

It's try-hard tho. He and Du should actually be taunting and risking it, their preferred taunt (t-bagging) shows lack of confidence and/or fear since they just wanna get attention without risk.

And you're talking to a guy who loves FChamp, so it's not that I don't love a good heel. It's just a generational difference, I guess.

I'm 29, so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But like I said some just like the jeter personality of being humble and graceful in victory and defeat.. but the world would be boring that way XD as long has it's not personal I'm cool with heel's like champ.

Nightii

Banned
Both Fchamp and Punk had shitty attitudes and it's good that neither won.

Hopefully Punk grows over it and becomes better in all aspects. Fchamp is rotten and should not be looked up to.

And no, "being a heel" is not an excuse lmao this isn't wrestling.

Top Bottom