• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve going free2play on PC July 7th, consoles later, [Has major gameplay redesigns]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the big problem in that game is that most matches were a boring blowout. Either monster gets effortlessly slaughtered in short order, or there's 15 minutes of nothing until the monster brutally slaughters the hunters. I don't know how they can fix that.

Illucio

Banned
I've always wanted to try the game, the DLC always scarred me off.

Im glad it's finally F2P. I hope they take the cosmetic route and make money off that and let all the characters be free of charge.

Sounds like they really know what their doing now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I thought they would have announced a sequel in a year or two but looks like they want to improve their reputation and relationship with the gaming community first.

The concept looked interesting but the DLC + game balance complaints turned me and certainly many other people away from Evolve. Good call, I'll definitely try it out now that it's F2P.

Rocketz

Enjoyed my time with it on Xbox when it first came out. Didn't play a ton of it compared to other multiplayer games. Depends on how it is maybe I'll re-download it when its F2P and give the other hunters a go.

Backlogger

I actually won a copy of this game from Gamersgate.com. I was so excited, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Unfortunate since it seemed like a cool idea.

Teeth

As I said in the other thread:

Wow what a reward for all those people who paid. I wonder what the "gifts" will be.

They could have Founders Only lobbies/servers where all the people who purchased the game could continue to not play with each other.

Or they could be happy that they'll actually have people to play with now.

Battleborn will go F2P by January is my bet.

Dying faster than Evolve.

Depends how fast they release the season pass content. Summer 2017 is a good prediction since it gives them enough time to focus on balance improvements and other stuff they could change.

Spacejaws

I really hope this does bring at least a small increase in the playerbase. I love jumping into this game and giving if a quick couple of hunts. Hope the rebalancing doesnt hamper the relying on teammates. The beauty of this game was people slowly learning what they had to do. I still have fond memories of people screaming at me to use my medic beam when I was playing as lazerus or sheild beam when playing bucket not knowing that all the hunters in the same class play totally differently.

If everybody is a run ahead superhuman it might lose its niche.

I think the best way for them to do this is precious owners get all dlc(maybe knock everybody down to 1 star and create more unlockable skins). F2p users have to unlock them through progression.

I have an unsettling feeling though it will be f2p owners have to pay for them only might hamper any reason to stay playing. Although technically you can play as any hunter you just have to take over a bot who choses out of all the hunters at random :D

Honestly though I think they should remove the stars giving boosts to damage and stuff. They should give unique traits, all with there own uses but having the second and third star being incremental boosts to the trait does simply give an unfair benefit to grinders which is not really great. I like the different traits though.

A lot more details in this Game Informer article:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Apparently there is no monetization.

Specific changes:
There are a couple of key differences. Trappers were the position requiring the most skill in the original version. Isolating the monster in a dome, where it could be easily damaged, is extremely valuable to a team's success.

Now, every hunter has access to the team’s dome. It also won’t miss anymore. To balance this out, Turtle Rock has taken steps to ensure that you won’t be able to take down a less-experienced monster player in one dome.

As the monster knocks players down, incapacitates them, or takes damage, the dome will lose some of its charge. It also has a clearly visible recharge timer, so monsters and hunters all know when the next, inevitable fight is coming.

“No one liked to watch the monster not fight and die in a cage,” says lead designer Brandon Yanez. “So the entire flow minute-to-minute is just getting into fights and encouraging those fights. Dome goes up, there’s a five-minute timer, it’s ticking down. You can’t run out of a dome. If the monster gets an incap on anybody it takes off a huge portion of the time. If hunters start eating into the monster’s health, it’ll start taking increments off the time.”

In exchange, Trappers now have a dash ability and a planetary scanner that points in the general direction of the monster. This keeps the role valuable without penalizing the team for having a rookie in that slot.

All hunters will also have a very minor health recharge. This mitigates the situation in which you’re too far from a medic, or that player is still learning how to manage the team’s health.

Another big change is how the dropship respawn mechanic works. It used to be on a constant cycle of two minute countdowns. Now, it takes on more of a MOBA feel, with the timer getting longer as the match goes on.

Specific actions will increase the timer’s length. It starts at zero, but as the monster evolves and other actions occur during the match, it will permanently lengthen.

Maximo

As I said in the other thread:

Wow what a reward for all those people who paid. I wonder what the "gifts" will be.

Seems as silly as people who paid full price bitch that the game went on sale a year after it came out...Who cares people who bought it had their time with the game and now they might have some people to actually play with.

Bishop89

I knew it was going to go f2p, reason I never bought it on sale.

They shot themselves in the foot so it's their own fault for the lacklustre reception

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They themselves called it a dlc shitstorm? Damn.

Well, I mean they admit they fucked up there.

As it is, even going F2P won't solve the fundamental issue (IMO): The gameplay just doesn't work. 1 v 4 or vice-versa wasn't terribly balanced in the beta I tried. Throw in the DLC monsters being VASTLY overpowered and unless they retooled the entire game to where it's "tense" and not lopsided toward "whoever is the better player(s) wins!" like L4D (sadly still) is, I don't know how many people will stick around, even for free.

Gator86

I admire their candor, if nothing else. Most companies would only reference the problem vaguely if they even addressed it at all.

As to the F2P choice? They should've done that from the get go IMO. Now the question becomes what's free and what isn't.

Yeah, I put a fair amount of time into the original release so I'll give this a chance. I hope other people are willing to do the same. There is a lot of fun in Evolve. It was just buried under many issues.

Then, when Evolve launched, the reception wasn’t what we expected. Sure, there were some good reviews. There were also bad reviews. Yes, there was excitement. There was also disappointment – for players and for us. The DLC shitstorm hit full force and washed away people’s enthusiasm, dragging us further and further from that first magical pick-up-and-play experience.

Eh, I wonder if 2K Games have read this post before it was posted by TRS.

Brofield

I really hope this works out for them.

I played the demo at FanExpo, I felt the magic, but I only got a PS4 last year and the community was already dead. Hell, I wish I could have seen it on Wii U if only for 4v1 couch co-op/competition. I would have picked it up Day 1 knowing I could still play offline with friends on a single console.

Either way, I don't expect my laptop to be powerful enough for the Beta, but I'll get it regardless. Hopefully they too can move forward with platform agnostic crossplay between consoles and PC like Rocket League.

Tagyhag

I honestly still don't see it gaining any traction.

Overwatch just took a big chunk of the mainstream audience away from everyone else.

It might gain a few hundred more people playing which is good, but certainly not what they're hoping for.

Never got around to playing this, but man the progression from huge amounts of hype to nosediving to irrelevance this game took is crazy.

drotahorror

I'm down to give it a go. I only ever played the initial beta and thought it was ok. Curious how there f2p model will go.

Do we know it was 2K that made them create so much DLC?

In Evolve's case, I honestly don't know but isn't that how it works in general ? I'm not behind the scenes but I've hard times picturing some 2K executives saying to the creators "oh come on I think you guys are being too greedy with those DLC" :D

Arion

DLC shitstorm was also my reason for not playing this game. Whether I play this version is going to depend on how they handle the f2p progression system. I'm not expecting dota 2 but something close to lol would be acceptable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I honestly still don't see it gaining any traction.

Overwatch just took a big chunk of the mainstream audience away from everyone else.

It might gain a few hundred more people playing which is good, but certainly not what they're hoping for.

It's not Overwatch, though that'll be a factor. It's the the Monster/Player skill levels are too many variables and that breaks the game out of the gate.

The fact they're talking about "not needing a trapper anymore" just shows that the fundamental gameplay wasn't good. Hell, even Crowbcat's or however his username is spelled's video showing the "heat map" of players chasing after the monster shows the problem with the game: It's not "fun" to play due to the skill level of players. They say they're retooling it, but I'm skeptical because the whole 4 v 1 was (IMO) a bad idea from the moment someone considered it. They just had to look at their previous effort(s): Left4Dead 1-2's versus mode(s) just to see the problem with this.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the Beta, but considering how quickly the game died after the DLC issues, I just couldn't justify a purchase.

I'll give this another chance when it comes to consoles as F2P.

A lot more details in this Game Informer article:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Apparently there is no monetization.

Specific changes:

This sounds very good. They seem to be doing nice changes and making accessible.

mollipen

Part of me really liked Evolve, so I like the idea that it might come back to life (to some degree) through this.

Game had two major problems for me that I don't expect to get fixed though (unless I missed the mention). I want to matchmake for the class I want to play, and that's it—LET ME DO THAT. Don't make me have to fight for the role once I get into a game. Also, character progression was horrible for Medics, as you often had to go against your best play style in order to make any progress.

So, this may help, but not sure it will for me. But damn, I still love Caira so much.

ElRenoRaven

It's really really sad.

Like those washed up actors that you see in cons that only did one famous film in their entire career.

Yup. Nothing they can do will turn it around. Yea this saves you the buying the game but the DLC was outrageous in price and the way it was handled. I don't see this fixing the problem. All it does is lessen the up front costs before you have to buy the DLC. I don't believe them that it will be truly F2P. Who knows. They may surprise me though. I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom