• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve going free2play on PC July 7th, consoles later, [Has major gameplay redesigns]

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The OP outlines fairly well why they care. It was their greatest accomplishment until the game actually launched.

Imagine the mixed emotions when you walk into work every morning and that wall of E3 rewards is the first thing you see... and if 2K is more to blame for the DLC debacle than themselves, imagine the emotions that would come with that. What they stripped away from you.

2K is not to blame for the consensus after the beta that the game was good for an hour or so and utterly boring afterwards. It all depends on how good or how bad a player is as the monster. They should've made it a pure team based shooter and have the monster controlled by AI.

jediyoshi

I wonder if Dead by Daylight's recent success in asymmetrical MP influenced the timing of this at all. The market for the genre is still relatively tiny.

Yudoken

I would love to see Evolve to be (full 3 way) xplay too.

One of the few games where I don't think aiming is that important.

jesu

2K is not to blame for the consensus after the beta that the game was good for an hour or so and utterly boring afterwards. It all depends on how good or how bad a player is as the monster. They should've made it a pure team based shooter and have the monster controlled by AI.

That mode was in from the start.

I'm surprised there's still this much resistance to it even after going free. Wasn't that what people wanted in the first place?

It's a generally great game and I look forward to a lot of you trying it out for the first time.

Shouldn't they move on to work on something else instead of trying to revive a dead game?

I imagine they're worried about creating a Left 4 Dead -> Left 4 Dead 2 situation. Evolve and Left 4 Dead had similar launch numbers but Left 4 Dead had a much longer sales tail, which this F2P move should alleviate. I think they're trying to avoid alienating some of the fans like Valve did with the fast launch of Left 4 Dead 2 when they could have continued supporting 1 (even though the engine was dated, etc.).

Going free to play doesn't just happen overnight. I'm sure they started working on this redesign/re-release immediately after the backlash killed their game.

Definitely agree. They probably wanted to do it sooner but Take Two wanted to wrench as much cash out of it as it could first.

I wouldn't be surprised if both a similar situation and discussion are happening with Battleborn.

They themselves call it "DLC shitstorm",yet they sells the ultimate edition for $60.
at least make the season passes and the DLC cheaper.

Publishers set the price point. Battleborn, published by Take Two, has a similar DLC plan. Do you think that's a coincidence?

Never mind the fact that the game/DLC/editions can't even be purchased now.

L.O.R.D

They themselves call it "DLC shitstorm",yet they sells the ultimate edition for $60.
at least make the season passes and the DLC cheaper.

jediyoshi

They removed the ability to purchase it altogether on PC prior to the announcement.

Now that we know what their plans are moving forward for console, it'd be shadier for them to try and milk the DLC if it's contingent on buying a game that'll eventually stopped being charged for.

aeolist

Banned
i know they said there's more changes coming but did they ever actually balance the game?

kinda hilarious in retrospect that they were pitching this as an esport well before launch

This game was dead two weeks after release and they should've made the right choice and abandon it. I can't believe that after all this time they still think they can turn it into a success. They are delusional and in love with their own game. They will be one of the next studios to die.
Make another multiplayer game that will have a 50/50 chance at succeeding? They gotta fix Evolve first.

PhaZZe

Banned
when i played with my friends the beta, was a fun game, im going to try again, the dlc plan killed the game.

i know they said there's more changes coming but did they ever actually balance the game?

kinda hilarious in retrospect that they were pitching this as an esport well before launch

The first month or two they spent implementing a system to let them tweak on the fly, which definitely did some damage to the initial userbase when one of the monsters, Wraith, was a pain to fight and track. After that though, they were tweaking and balancing all of the time.

It could have been the next l4d2, but the release was a mess.

Hopefully they'll sort everything out and give us a great pick-up and play co-op fps (just like l4d).

hydruxo

I'll try it out when it goes F2P on PS4. I was always intrigued by the game but I wasn't going to pay full price for it when it came out. Then after that all the DLC shit happened and the community died off so my interest faded.

I enjoyed this game a lot when it came out but it def felt way too shallow for 60 bucks.

Its such a cool idea though i really hope this is successful for them

BurningNad

I'm actually excited to play the game after work today. Really hoping this takes off and keeps a steady player base. Looking forward to the planned changes as well. Maybe I can convince my Fiancée to try it with me; we play Overwatch together but it's kind of getting old already...

Regginator

Welp, guess I´m giving it a try on Steam now.

ed: Whoops, I guess it's not 7 July yet everywhere else yet (2PM here).

Jotaka

OsjpCfq.gif

after the fallout of DLC drama

Sulik2

Game should have been F2P from the start. Their design just didn't match a retail game. Hopefully they fix the balance issues the game has too.

kyle-777-

Won't even give it a try because of their shitload of high priced DLC, even at launch, they don't deserve my attention. I am thankfull this game had a beta, so I did not pre-order because of hype.

Demoskinos

Well you can be much more forward facing and honest than that they straight up called out pretty much every major reason people took issue with Evolve.

I hope this works out for them.

Idk if this will change the fact that people would quit the lobby if they were stuck playing the monster.
This is fixed in competitive, where there's different queue's for monsters and hunters.
Wasn't fixed for casual/quickplay, but maybe in this relaunch it is.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can this game be played single player at all? Like, you control the monster or one of the hunters and everything else is AI.

LordRaptor

Game should have been F2P from the start. Their design just didn't match a retail game. Hopefully they fix the balance issues the game has too.

From a purely commercial perspective, even if you made a game you were planning to be F2P from the very get go and all of the mechanics and balancing were done around that goal, it makes sense to release it as a full priced title first to get a first wave of revenue from price-indiscriminate buyers.

Really, all this has said to me is I'd be a mug to ever pay money for Battleborn because it will definitely be F2P 18 months down the line.

This game's bizarre trajectory in general has been entertaining to watch. I've never been interested in it even one iota but the ultra-hype to F2P road definitely has been funny.

eizarus

Banned
Welp, count me in for trying it.

I'm surprised at the effort they're putting in to reviving this. They could have went forward with making it F2P without redesigning much and moved on. Fingers crossed that it's entertaining though.

Been meaning to try Battleborn when it goes F2P

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Can this game be played single player at all? Like, you control the monster or one of the hunters and everything else is AI.

If you are a hunter you can change in the fly between the four.If you are the monster you are alone.You can play solo.

geordiemp

Will try again for sure, I wonder if the promise of better teamplay with randoms holds true.

Its why I just ignored this game at release, if you have to have specific roles in a team and nobody wants to play Medic or whatever its just an exercise in frustration.

Interesting. There must be some people on the dev team fighting hard for the game. I'd expect 2K's stance would be to cut the losses and move on. The response from the CEO is surprisingly upfront about the post-launch reception and reaction to the DLC. Usually that stuff is apparent but not addressed in the FTP announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom