• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve going free2play on PC July 7th, consoles later, [Has major gameplay redesigns]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
I really admire how much work the devs keep putting into this game but despite their best efforts and several major balance patches it's been a very tough game to balance. With this game they can't balance for the high tier without breaking balance for the low tier and vice versa and so neither tier gets properly balanced; you saw this in tournament play where monsters got rekt by hunters but in pubs it's usually the opposite. With this upcoming patch they're favoring the low tier by giving every hunter longer lasting domes that 'won't miss' and giving the trapper a GPS(for the people that don't know how to track and cutoff the monster and complain about 'running around too much').

I'll give this game another shot tomorrow but I'm not hopeful this game's balance can be fixed for all skill levels.

Card Boy

Banned
Don't blame them going F2P. Look at this.

N1SVZJj.png

I remember TF2 doing terrible numbers before the whole hat thing. CS: Go was going badly until they started supporting the game, only difference is CS:GO is still a paid game.

I find it funny how they say "It means we’ve been listening" when this has taken them well over a year to get around to doing this. I'll definitely give it a try again, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I remember playing the original beta and wasn't impressed at all. I'm surprised it got so many awards.

Lucifon

This doesn't sound like a well thought out plan. They should be launching on F2P with consoles too, arguably a much larger audience. I understand not wanting things to break etc, but why haven't things been put in place to prevent that - the game has been out well over a year at this point. Almost sounds like the PC audience are beta testing the console F2P. Launch F2P in a few months though and you're hitting the Christmas rush of games, there's a myriad of big budget shooters later this year to drown out a F2P transition. Summer is the perfect time, disappointing.

eh pretty much blaming the DLC shitstorm? sure there was lots of negative press around that. but thats what you get for announcing pre-order DLC before an actual game play trailer.

But thats an aside, if the game was fun people would not have given too shits about the DLC plans and have made do.

i don't see F2P helping it in anyway the games been like a fiver in the uk for ages and noone cares.

Bluth54

Don't blame them going F2P. Look at this.

N1SVZJj.png

I remember TF2 doing terrible numbers before the whole hat thing. CS: Go was going badly until they started supporting the game, only difference is CS:GO is still a paid game.

TF2 and CSGO never had numbers anywhere close to that.

I've wanted to play this for a while now, but the only way I'd play it is by finding the game for under £5. This is probably the next best thing, depending on how much they take away from the free-to-play players.

cluto

I find it funny how they say "It means we’ve been listening" when this has taken them well over a year to get around to doing this. I'll definitely give it a try again, though.

Going free to play doesn't just happen overnight. I'm sure they started working on this redesign/re-release immediately after the backlash killed their game.

LordRaptor

I've wanted to play this for a while now, but the only way I'd play it is by finding the game for under £5. This is probably the next best thing, depending on how much they take away from the free-to-play players.

I'm in a similar boat - depending what the initial barrier between a "founders pack buyer" and a "mooching freeloader" is, there's always the option of picking up a cheap physical copy, as they all redeem on Steam anyway.
Amazon have the PC boxed basic edition of Evolve for just over a fiver atm.

Keasar

I'd be happy to give it a shot. I thought Evolve had a lot of potential when playing the beta but the release and DLC clusterfuck muddled my expectations a lot and I just stayed away.

oti

Banned
So they're trying to build up some goodwill before they announce E2olve. Better than nothing I suppose.

Refused to buy into the game due to the DLC issues and low player base. Interested to try it as F2P, but hopefully this will mean they will try to reunite the player base by making all maps and characters free. A paid-for cosmetics suite is the way to go - it's a proven method which might help them wring some further revenue from the game.

People are not going to accept a F2P base game with all of the DLC still pay-walled.

LordRaptor

So they're trying to build up some goodwill before they announce E2olve. Better than nothing I suppose.

A F2P Evolve done properly wouldn't need a sequel though. Not until the point the base game is so outdated that it needs a complete overhaul, and sometimes even that is just a regular update patch.

That's basically the point of long tail games under the F2P model, ie SaaS.

e:
Interested to try it as F2P, but hopefully this will mean they will try to reunite the player base by making all maps and characters free.

When I played the Beta, there was one 'basic' character in each class, and additional characters were progression unlocks.
That could very easily be changed to an F2P style unlock system where you're buying EXP boosters and crap, or outright paying to unlock characters to skip the levelling up, and have 'guest' free unlocks on regular rotation.
So easily in fact, at launch a lot of people were predicting it going F2P, as all of the necessary systems to do so were basically in place.

Par Score

eh pretty much blaming the DLC shitstorm? sure there was lots of negative press around that. but thats what you get for announcing pre-order DLC before an actual game play trailer.

But thats an aside, if the game was fun people would not have given too shits about the DLC plans and have made do.

i don't see F2P helping it in anyway the games been like a fiver in the uk for ages and noone cares.

Yeah, here's the secret: DLC wasn't the problem with this game, the game not being much fun in real world conditions was.

This is a game that shows amazingly well to a bunch of games press who don't know exactly what they're doing during a 15 minute appointment at E3. It's a game that seems incredible under limited scrutiny, but as soon as it gets into the hands of real players it falls apart.

jem0208

I really enjoyed my time with the beta but never picked it up due to the population and DLC issues. Hopefully it gets a decent population with this change.

Moozo

Refreshing honesty, and this seems like the logical move for them to take.

But how did it win all those awards?

A F2P Evolve done properly wouldn't need a sequel though. Not until the point the base game is so outdated that it needs a complete overhaul, and sometimes even that is just a regular update patch.

That's basically the point of long tail games under the F2P model, ie SaaS.

e:

When I played the Beta, there was one 'basic' character in each class, and additional characters were progression unlocks.
That could very easily be changed to an F2P style unlock system where you're buying EXP boosters and crap, or outright paying to unlock characters to skip the levelling up, and have 'guest' free unlocks on regular rotation.
So easily in fact, at launch a lot of people were predicting it going F2P, as all of the necessary systems to do so were basically in place.

Sounds like there is some hope for a workable F2P model there then.

I have zero issues with paid-for cosmetics, or EXP boosters when the only unlockables are cosmetics/voice lines etc (ala Overwatch). It seems like AAA devs are slowly getting this into their heads too, with more and more switching to a model where maps are being released for free so that the player base isn't split.

Yeah, here's the secret: DLC wasn't the problem with this game, the game not being much fun in real world conditions was.

This is a game that shows amazingly well to a bunch of games press who don't know exactly what they're doing during a 15 minute appointment at E3. It's a game that seems incredible under limited scrutiny, but as soon as it gets into the hands of real players it falls apart.
The game has some sort of weird fun-gap. When you just get the game it's fun as hell, and then when you've put in the hours it's really fun as well. But in between there's a point where you end up in games where you're just chasing the monster for 15 minutes, without an actual fight. You lack the experience to know how to properly chase the monster, so you just end up chasing it.

From the information so far it looks like they've really tried to adress this specific problem: far less reliance on the trapper to find the monster and more incentive for the monster to get into contact with the hunters.

derFeef

Yeah if there are more and longer fights with the monster, then it will certainly be fun.
It was always an either-or game it seemed like.

Tapejara

Was really excited for Evolve, but balance issues and ridiculous amount of DLC for a paid game eventually made me lose interest. Hopefully Turtle Rock can fix this with the F2P version; I'm definitely willing to jump back in and give it another shot. Many of the changes they've outlined so far seem to suggest they're on the right track.

All hunters will also have a very minor health recharge. This mitigates the situation in which you’re too far from a medic, or that player is still learning how to manage the team’s health.

Like this. Thank fucking God. I always played medic, but when my team wasn't co-operating it became impossible to heal teammates who would run off in random directions all while trying to manage my meager jetpack fuel.

The_Kid

Maybe I can actually find a game now. Me and my boyfriend bought it a couple months ago on the cheap and sat in the lobby nearly an hour and never found a game.

Z3M0G

I thought they gave up on the game and just didn't care
The OP outlines fairly well why they care. It was their greatest accomplishment until the game actually launched.

Imagine the mixed emotions when you walk into work every morning and that wall of E3 rewards is the first thing you see... and if 2K is more to blame for the DLC debacle than themselves, imagine the emotions that would come with that. What they stripped away from you.

Going free to play doesn't just happen overnight. I'm sure they started working on this redesign/re-release immediately after the backlash killed their game.

It's not just the F2P part of it, though. It's all the other changes they're making alongside it. People have been complaining about the game since before relase, it shouldn't haven taken this long to get around to fixing all these things when they surely contributed to the game losing players fast.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This game was dead two weeks after release and they should've made the right choice and abandon it. I can't believe that after all this time they still think they can turn it into a success. They are delusional and in love with their own game. They will be one of the next studios to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom