• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve going free2play on PC July 7th, consoles later, [Has major gameplay redesigns]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl@de

I doubt it will come anywhere close to the popularity of Dead by Daylight (another 1vs4 multiplayer game) on PC.

drotahorror

You know you done messed up when the jankfest known as Dead by Daylight has already outsold you in 3 weeks time.

Maybe they'll regain their bearings, I'm sure Evolve is 10x the game DbD is.

I thought the big problem in that game is that most matches were a boring blowout. Either monster gets effortlessly slaughtered in short order, or there's 15 minutes of nothing until the monster brutally slaughters the hunters. I don't know how they can fix that.

Yeah. That was my main issue with the game, (Horrific DLC plan aside) and I can't see that changing. Also, a lot of the time the maps felt far too similar.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Never really followed the launch or the "shitstorm" that followed, but my buddy and I will be all over this when/if it goes free on PS4.

This and Hawken are just the sort of big bad stuff we grew up on (playing with action figures, giant mecha anime, monster movies, etc.), so it's nice to get a little taste of childhood for free once in a while.

I would've liked their message to be more damning. They said there where bad reviews, well http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988403 . They say "DLC Shitstorm", but I'm not sure "the why" and everything is fully grasped.

This is the game who's ANNOUNCEMENT was what the pre-order DLC was. As an aside, I hope one of the rarer visitors to the Evolve Steam page captured the DLC list.

The old Jimquisition episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsgoD74vLIo

Hope to see it revitalized a friend and I still play from time to time will be good to not have to play with bots. We both bought the PC Monster Race edition and even though player count was low Turtle Rock always showed appreciation for the people who bought the PC Monster Race version with all the DLC and Skins for free, even the second season hunting pass in its entirety so good on them and hope this helps them turn it around and get some numbers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good that they're honest about why this is happening, instead of some "Evolve is doing great, and now we want to to bring it to EVEN MORE players!" BS.

Mooreberg

I wonder how much of the DLC plan was known to them early on, and how much of it genuinely caught them by surprise. Anybody who isn't working with Ubisoft has to be uncomfortable with their content getting the patented spreadsheet treatment on forums.

How have F2P shooters from other developers held up against Valve's stuff? Blacklight? Tribes? I'm continually amazed at how the Tribes rights keep falling into the hands of people who don't seem to care.

Even outside of the scummy business model.... the game just was not fun. Wrap it up guys, move on to a new idea.
I do wonder how the word of mouth will be if people start playing the game, only to discover that a lot of other players are not doing anything constructive by way of the actual objective. The fact that they've come to realize that people need to be able to rely less on trappers and medics kinda illustrates the point.

Trace

Banned
Wait, so they're making you grind to get everything, and there's no actual way to pay to escape the grind?

Or anything to pay for?

The hell...

Not surprised I guess. The gameplay was there for sure. At it's core Evolve could have been something great, but the "DLC Shitstorm" and the lack of content out of the box was disgraceful.

I'm still kinda scratching my head how some Left 4 Dead devs managed to create such a giant, gaping cluster-fuck (as a follow-up to one of the all-time best MP games IMHO). Is it really as simple as publisher meddling and greed? I'll probably give it a go since its free. But I'm not expecting much. Maybe they'll surprise us.

Justinh

No wonder it wasn't part of the steam sale!!
I was looking for it.

I'm almost certain it was on sale somewhere, either steam or the xbox summer sale. I remember browsing and saw it and though "hahah, nope!"

I get that more people might try it because it's free, but I remember a lot of criticism from people saying the game was just bad. Matches were long, drawn-out, and not fun. I wonder how big the changes they're talking about will be? (weird seeing that co-founder use the term "shitstorm")

I wonder if the game will have any legs after people try it out real quick when it goes free.

edit: oh, I guess it is on sale on Xbox. It looks like the sale price has been reverted to normal. I guess to make sure people don't get duped into buying it?
edit 2: nope. Still on sale. weird how when I went to the page via search it shows up as full price, but going through the sale page it brings up deal. Either way, they should remove the sale so people don't buy it.

Vuze

Kudos for being honest.
I got it like two years ago for 5$ but haven't even booted it up once. Maybe I should after their update.

Freeman76

I hope this works out for them. I really loved Evolve and was disappointed by 2K's marketing as well as the general population being too impatient to learn the ins-and-outs of the game. Hope they don't change too much that alienates the original players instead.

LOL the reason they are doing this is because there aren't any of the original players left. I think you can safely assume they will change a LOT!

Oxirane

I never played Evolve at launch mainly because I don't like games where objectives during gameplay are too reliant on single players. I find it too stressful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they made the mistake of having the same amount of players as classes, so there was no backup on the team to complete specific objectives. Giving all players the ability (even if it's less powerful) to do specific things is one way to mitigate that factor. Also, did they ever try 5 vs 1 or 6 vs 1?

Alienous

Good luck to them. The concept always seemed neat, but the gameplay loop didn't live up to the hype, and it seems they are making big changes to fix that using the domes.

cripterion

DLC shitstorm or not this game got boring after 2-3 matches. Going F2P ain't going to change that for me. You'll always be reliant on 1/5 of the players in the game to enjoy yourself seeing as it is 1 vs 4 gameplay.
Now, where's Left 4 Dead 3?

The game was a glorified cat and mouse. It gets very repetitive after awhile. You spend more time running around the map than actual fighting.

I doubt going f2p will save the game, and frankly, I fear the microtransactions will be even worse than the DLC shitstorm.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The game was a glorified cat and mouse. It gets very repetitive after awhile. You spend more time running around the map than actual fighting.

I doubt going f2p will save the game, and frankly, I fear the microtransactions will be even worse than the DLC shitstorm.

They redesigned the game so that every hunter can use the domes and they never miss, but the monster disables hunters or takes sufficient damage to cut off large chunks of the trap time.

The Trapper now gets a GPS to point to the monster instead.

Water

They are still fucking it up, just in a different way. Communication is supposed to be key in F2P games.
I'm not seeing concrete info about whether they'll stop being pay2win and have all non-cosmetic content open from the start like Dota2.
Also not seeing concrete info about what you'd get if you bought the original game on sale now.

edit: never mind, still pay2win. Good luck with that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, heh, it was inevitable :)

Looking forward to finally play this game when TR actually change it enough to fit the f2p model.

Glad it's going free to play. Not a fan of the changes at all though. Not everyone should have access to the dome, especially if it "can't miss". Also, having an easy track mode removes half the fun from playing tracker in the first place.
I honestly didn't see much issue with how it was at launch. People just didn't take the time to learn how the game worked and so sucked at certain roles, which was frustrating for other players. The actual game itself was great. Only stopped playing because I wasn't guaranteed my role every time and starting a game up was a gamble between having fun and not playing the stuff I enjoyed.

RevenWolf

They are still fucking it up, just in a different way. Communication is supposed to be key in F2P games.
I'm not seeing concrete info about whether they'll stop being pay2win and have all non-cosmetic content open from the start like Dota2.
Also not seeing concrete info about what you'd get if you bought the original game on sale now.

edit: never mind, still pay2win. Good luck with that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know what actual pay2win is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom