• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Chobel

So I watched some direct feed footage... OK, I need this game in my life

itCCn7sBhMXjL.jpg

swcpig

Banned
Watching footage of Titanfall has made me lose interest in playing Battlefield 4, entirely.

God damn.

nothing more dull than running across a conquest map dreaming of playing titanfall ;)

Sigh... If I weren't such a patriots fan id be playing it right now - after 15+ hours over the past day and a half.

Watched some footage it really looks like cod with a killstreak where you just turn into a big cawadoody still ADS shooting people all the same...

For some reason the graphics look nothing like the trailers, looks pretty ugly and very low res

Man in 2007 or whenever it was the CoD4 beta came out of nowhere and just shocked me and basically ruined games for me until the full game came out. Watching these alpha videos has done the same thing. Luckily its only a couple months wait.

"Attrition" is such a great name for the TDM game mode. Really excited to see what other modes there are, I'm kind of interested in a no AI, no Titans, smaller maps mode among other things - the gunplay+traversal just looks so smooooove.

jet1911

Watched some footage it really looks like cod with a killstreak where you just turn into a big cawadoody still ADS shooting people all the same...

For some reason the graphics look nothing like the trailers, looks pretty ugly and very low res

The textures being 25% of their final resolution might have something to do with that.

Chabbles

Apparently, the textures in the beta are something like 25% final res.

IMO, it looks pretty fun, but way overhyped.

Had a look at some alpha gameplay. Not the prettiest game but it looks like fun. I don't think it'll ever lose the "COD with mechs" association, though. The foot soldier combat does look very COD-like (suppose that's to be expected.)

Thorgi

Kind of depressing to see that the "innovative FPS" the press was raving over was just Call of Duty with wall running, mechs and poor enemy AI. Oh well, I'm sure some other shooter will pick up the slack, and if not, there are plenty of other interesting games from various genres coming out this year.

Kind of depressing to see that the "innovative FPS" the press was raving over was just Call of Duty with wall running, mechs and poor enemy AI. Oh well, I'm sure some other shooter will pick up the slack, and if not, there are plenty of other interesting games from various genres coming out this year.

How you know the AI is poor?

Chobel

Did you play this alpha?

Bsigg12

Play it when you can and then report back. I might bookmark this post so we can check in 6 weeks where you stand.

I am constantly reminded of How to Train Your Dragon.

Since when did innovation not mean adding new things onto an old proven formula? Sounds like innovative online to me! Also, poor enemy AI?

T.O.P

Banned

i think you should wait to play the final game before making such statement

2San

The game looks good. It looks like something I would really enjoy. The AI is dumb as bricks though and weapons don't seem to have any recoil.

I am constantly reminded of How to Train Your Dragon.

Since when did innovation not mean adding new things onto an old proven formula? Sounds like innovative online to me! Also, poor enemy AI?

He was looking for the next big thing, to be fair it's not this game since it has the be a game that changes the mechanics in shooting mainly.

Alienous

I think I remember seeing something called the 'Data Knife'?

Wouldn't it be cool if you equip it as a anti-Titan weapon (instead of a launcher) and could jump on an enemy Titan, and instead of shooting the brain cage you would stab the knife into the exposed Titan brain cage, ejecting the Pilot if he's still within it and temporarily bringing the Titan to your side. Perhaps not full control, but have it switch to shooting enemies instead of allies and self-destruct some time after.

I don't know if that's how it works, but I hope it's like that.

Raide

Just watched a good 8 min me. Damn, having your own Titan coming to retrieve you looks amazing. :D

Also, anyway else want some Japanese version of the Titan A.I Commands? I will change the Xbox One to Japan just to play if they have localised stuff.

Raide

I think I remember seeing something called the 'Data Knife'?

Wouldn't it be cool if you equip it as a anti-Titan weapon (instead of a launcher) and could jump on an enemy Titan, and instead of shooting the brain cage you would stab the knife into the exposed Titan brain cage, ejecting the Pilot if he's still within it and temporarily bringing the Titan to your side. Perhaps not full control, but have it switch to shooting enemies instead of allies and self-destruct some time after.

I don't know if that's how it works, but I hope it's like that.

There are A.I running around that are robots. The Data Knife seems to be used to hack those. It might have later things as well but force ejecting people could get people a bit pissed off.

Bsigg12

Will there be a Titan vs Titan mode?

There doesn't need to be. You can see on the HUD when players have titans ready on your team and how many enemy titans are on the field. It gets especially crazy when your team drops 4-5 Titans in response to the enemy team getting 4-5 as well.

The speed of the pilots is what makes the game exciting, and having these quick yet lumbering Titans turns matches almost into a strategy game by trying to figure out the best uses of your Titan. Just calling it down because you have it can put you in a really bad situation.

He was looking for the next big thing, to be fair it's not this game since it has the be a game that changes the mechanics in shooting mainly.

What kinda change would that be though? I don't think anyone really wants to reinvent the wheel. Innovating even a little bit is considered a big thing in regards to shooters, I'm looking at you pick-ten system.

Footage leaked. They're just standing there as the player shoots them, all bunched together.

If the footage gets pulled, let me know. Downloaded a backup just in case.[/QUOTE]
So just to clarify...everyone who has played it is raving, but you saw some offscreen leaked footage where the grunts were a bad shot so game=garbage?

What kinda change would that be though? I don't think anyone really wants to reinvent the wheel. Innovating even a little bit is considered a big thing in regards to shooters, I'm looking at you pick-ten system.

Usually it comes out of nowhere so we wont know till it happens. I know it has to do with shooting mainly since that is the core mechanics of a shooter. For example the same mechanics have been used for an entire gen and the start of this gen. And that is ADS,low recoil. In terms of other mechanics in general you have sprint,perks,loadouts,etc. Before COD 4 most of that did not exist, so we will see who changes all this like COD 4 did. Maybe within this year or next.

Thorgi

I don't necessarily know what I'm looking for either. I've just seen press + fans rave about it for so long that I expected something that truly broke the mold. The same kind of excitement I received from seeing Halo 2's multiplayer for the first time, or running through Half-Life 2, or even Call of Duty 4. I felt none of that when I finally saw some actual gameplay footage.

I can't tell if it's just boredom with shooters or boredom with games in general. I still hold out hope that things like Transistor, Octodad, Hohokum, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or some shooter out of the blue will grab me.

Thorgi

Usually it comes out of nowhere so we wont know till it happens. I know it has to do with shooting mainly since that is the core mechanics of a shooter. For example the same mechanics have been used for an entire gen and the start of this gen. And that is ADS,low recoil. In terms of other mechanics in general you have sprint,perks,loadouts,etc. Before COD 4 most of that did not exist, so we will see who changes all this like COD 4 did. Maybe within this year or next.

Pretty much, yeah. I've sunk so many hours into Call of Duty 4 and its various sequels/spin-offs that I've grown tired of that specific feel. Starting to wonder if I'll have the same reaction once more substantial gameplay footage gets out there for Destiny (which was the other shooter I was looking forward to this year).

There doesn't need to be. You can see on the HUD when players have titans ready on your team and how many enemy titans are on the field. It gets especially crazy when your team drops 4-5 Titans in response to the enemy team getting 4-5 as well.

The speed of the pilots is what makes the game exciting, and having these quick yet lumbering Titans turns matches almost into a strategy game by trying to figure out the best uses of your Titan. Just calling it down because you have it can put you in a really bad situation.

Maybe that's part of the games subtle depth, also, what if you could eject from your Titan and have it follow you with some cover fire..........

Bsigg12

Maybe that's part of the games subtle depth, also, what if you could eject from your Titan and have it follow you with some cover fire..........

You could always hop out and throw it in follow mode. Guard mode makes it hold its ground the best it can but it's a stationary target.

Justin

Saw a video where a guy was in a Titan and a enemy jumped on its back to destroy it so the guy ejected from his Titan and shot the enemy off his Titan's back, Really neat.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Saw a video where a guy was in a Titan and a enemy jumped on its back to destroy it so the guy ejected from his Titan and shot the enemy off the Titan's back, Really neat.

What's better is riding a friendly Titan into combat then jumping from your perch onto the enemy Titan engaged with your friend and blowing his brains out.

Absinthe

Watched a few videos and played a couple games at PAX, is anyone else concerned about the AI just being fodder. So far I see Aplha players mopping up the AI easily, or going into a room of 5+ AI and clearing it out with barely any damage taken. To me Titanfall try's to present this idea of a big battle ala Battlefield, but it's all faked and you only know its another player after you kill them.

Justin

Watched a few videos and played a couple games at PAX, is anyone else concerned about the AI just being fodder. So far I see Aplha players mopping up the AI easily, or going into a room of 5+ AI and clearing it out with barely any damage taken. To me Titanfall try's to present this idea of a big battle ala Battlefield, but it's all faked and you only know its another player after you kill them.

Its possible they could be a big part of objective game modes. In the videos you can see them capturing objectives which means that if your team ignores them or the objectives you will always lose. It's a good way to make sure people play the objectives.

teokrazia

Just from watching videos, I find the draw distance to be extremely impressive. There really is a lot of detail extending far out into the universe. It doesn't just seem like tiny little closed off CoD maps, it really gives off a KZ: SF vibe where they fleshed out the areas of the screen that you can't actually travel to, but it makes everything feel a lot more busy. Not like you're just fighting in a little box.

I'm quite impressed about how wide, solid and busy are some views.
They've overhauled Source to the bone.

Damn, having your own Titan coming to retrieve you looks amazing. :D

Yup, reminds me somehow a Big Daddy, with the player in the role of a little sister. ^^

Top Bottom