• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered heading to Steam on January 29

Original:
Fahrenheit_2012-08-26_03-07-11-12.jpg

Remake:
81sJegqAS-L._SL1500_.jpg

NO BUY. REMAKE IS A LOT WORSE THAN ORIGINAL.

Kolgar

Well, well. I only just played this a year and a half ago, but I might be down for another go with updated textures.

Glad to see this, actually. Game's just crazy.

Looks like a re-release and not a remaster. That word has lost its meaning.
Yeah, it's kind of..."we added support for the 360 controller and there's somewhat better textures"... And I suspect the 360 controller still works with the old version, probably just have to bind the buttons.

But I guess unless they've done fucked something up, there's a marginally better version of this game now, and that's good.

Heartfyre

Looking at these screenshots, I'm not really feeling as though this remaster is worthy of that title. It's nice that it'll be back on Steam and will hopefully not be worse than the original, but I'm seeing absolutely no reason to spend an extra dime on it from this thread. I feel Fahrenheit is a game that's once-and-done for me. Once on that rollercoaster is enough.

Nice to see a PC game advertise DualShock 4 support, though.

Symphonia

Banned
Meh, I was hoping for something more than just higher-res textures. A part of me was hoping a full remake was coming. Still, Indigo Prophecy was a great game. Will more than likely pick up on Android.

CamHostage

I wonder if Quantic Dream are doing the remaster or if it's someone else. I'm assuming Aspyr are doing the Mac/Linux port.

I assume the only reason it's happening at all is because Aspyr is doing it. My guess is they acquired it from the husk of Atari and did what they could.

Quantic Dream did tease a January announcement (though they have a new website coming on the 29th, so maybe that was really their "great news"), but if QD was super-involved in this Remaster much, I would imagine they would A) put it back on console again (because if you're going to re-rig the engine for a modern PC/mobile, it's not an impossible jump to get it on PS4) and B) give a little more work to the engine if they could (I'm sure the texture work would have been outsourced either way but edges/effects could have been done differently, though I'm actually not as opposed to the look that Aspyr got out of it for the price and the fact that it's been off the market a while.) It would have been great to see a real remastered release, rebuilt on the QD engine (though just for the lighting/modeling, it'd be a totally different game if they did the characters with actors instead of the hand-animated figures,) but while they're hot I'd rather see Quantic Dream spending its time making new projects (hopefully with less frustrating design than Beyond) and letting others go back to their past if they're really a desire to.

BTW, Omikron is already on Steam and Eidos/Square Enix has the publishing on it, so I'm not expecting a nice little company like Aspyr to be able to pick it up, but if a real remaster or even reimagining were to happen of a QD work, Omikron would be a good pick.

Dizzy

Banned
I liked the game. I have it on GOG but can't get it to display at my monitors native resolution.

Textures look a bit more up to date too. Will buy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I have no intention of buying this remastered edition. I mean, it is just "HD Collection" version of Fahrenheit which apparently can work on modern systems in 1080p and that's it. I think we need a proper HD remake on Heavy Rain's engine (at least) and with complete rewriting of the second half of the game cuz it is just awful.

oti

Banned
Fahrenheit starts out as Game of the Forever but shortly after you'll hate it for not living up to its potential.

It's basically Destiny.

Ridley327

My PC version:

pxmifd.png

Amazon Remastered:

815eoOkkGnL._SL1500_.jpg

Barely any difference

At least it'll have a widescreen option though

This comparison does a good job of showing the differences in the new textures. They're not great by any stretch, but they're a clear upgrade what the game originally had. There's also a bit of outright replacement here and there, like the back of the register and the overhead menu sign.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Best game QD has ever done, too bad for the paranormal bits ruining the latter third of the game.
Still can't wait to replay it, hopefully on my iPad

Not much of a remaster and I actually prefer the gamma and lighting effects of the original, remaster seems to have an EE effect added to it which screws up with the intended alpha, reminds me of the Silent Hill HD disaster but thankfully it seems waaaay less of a problem here

Mononoke

Banned
I love this game, even if some of the level design is awful (that library level sucks). Or even if the story
gets bat shit insane and falls apart at the end.

My PC version:

pxmifd.png

Amazon Remastered:

815eoOkkGnL._SL1500_.jpg

Barely any difference

At least it'll have a widescreen option though

Some game purists prefer this in remasters (basic HD texture updates, but leaving the original game mostly alone. I've seen a lot of people complain when remasters complete re-draw something, or make drastic changes).

GrayChild

That aching feeling of a wasted potential.

Played it on PS2 shortly after it came out, will probably buy the remastered version as well. I guess that even with the updates the game would have aged horribly though.

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Flipping sweet! Have been wanting to play this for ages but didn't expect it would ever come back to Steam. Being remastered only makes things sweeter (and for just $10).

Mononoke

Banned
That aching feeling of a wasted potential.

Played it on PS2 shortly after it came out, will probably buy the remastered version as well. I guess that even with the updates the game would have aged horribly though.

I played it recently, and it still kind of holds up. I mean, the gameplay elements are definitely dated because well...David Cage. But the bizarre/whacky story and overall tone, IMO still holds up.

The same way Deadly Premonition holds up (despite its shit controls).

Moertel

About 1/4 of the game is the pinnacle of entertainment. The first hour or so, especially the apartment scenes. There's some wonderful writing, game feels fucking amazing at times.

Then they start with the A.I./maya/matrix/magic shit. Such a shame.

It's insulting they are selling this as a remaster. There's barely any difference. Seems like they haven't changed the stupid ass controls either (I still remember taking hours to climb a fucking fence).

GavinUK86

So this is useless if you own EU version, right?
I have the game on GOG and I managed to buy a boxed italian copy, so it should be uncutted?

Yeah this is basically a retextured EU version for everyone.

In my opinion, the full controller support and the options for using higher widescreen resolutions are the exciting bits. Playing with m+k is a pain and I could never get the game to detect the right analogue stick on a controller.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's insulting they are selling this as a remaster. There's barely any difference. Seems like they haven't changed the stupid ass controls either (I still remember taking hours to climb a fucking fence).
Mobile version is what's important here.

I finished this game and though I liked it enough for most of the game the ending is pure unfiltered shit. Made me hate the game and this remake looks like garbage too.

Fractal

Banned
Hm, this came out of nowhere. Still, doubt I'll be revisiting it, as it's been said a countless times, while the game starts off really well, it sadly loses any touch with common sense in the final hours.

Whoa there, chief. I'd say it's probably closer to about 56.55%

Anyways, I already have this on steam... don't think the HDing is gonna make me double dip.

I somehow totally forgot Omikron, even though I just grabbed on Steam. Very cool game -- a little ahead of it's time.

OMIKRON IS ON STEAM OMG

I actually have it on Dreamcast, but I got stuck at some point and could never finish it. David Cage should just make an Omikron sequel. And let someone else write it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished this a couple years ago on PC. The controls weren't the greatest, so any sort of remastered edition would be nice. It's a lovely title. One of the best in Quantic Dream's library.

Top Bottom