• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
it's a hard fucking G. why would anyone think otherwise? even creators make mistakes. look at god for example.

a85055bda0.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How about we just remove the confusion and call him Obbs.

Jobbs

Banned
Considering almost everyone uses hard g you don't get to play the persecuted card

I have several well reasoned arguments for it to be a soft g, you guys have "uhhh just because"

Jobbs

Banned
Did...did you not see all the gi- words I gave?

EDIT: Give

I want to let this die but

• there are examples of words starting with soft G as well as hard G, however, the general grammatical rule indicates a soft G
  • the inventor of the format said it's a soft G
This isn't the same because Tarantino is breaking grammatical rules as opposed to following them, but should I refuse to call "Inglorious Basterds" by its name because the spelling is wrong? The creator of the movie named it, so I refer to it the way he does.

Your given counter argument: Some things start with a hard G. Okay, brilliant, some things also start with soft G, but in addition we have the grammatical guideline as well as the creator of the word telling us it's soft G.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
He was probably on drugs and couldn't properly pronounce the hard g at the time.

gib gibbon giddy gift gig gigabit giggle gild gill gilt gimbal gimme gimp gingham ginkgo gird girl girt girth git give gizmo

"grammatical guideline" my ass. That's a worse myth than I before E.

I don't pronounce Voldemort the stupid way without a T, so why should I pronounce GIF the stupid way? Creators are full of shit sometimes. Language is a living organism, so if everyone else says hard G then it's hard G.

There's honestly no confusion on the issue. What you do have is some shut in nerds who never talked to anyone except online, so they could invent their own phonetics without sounding silly back in the prehistoric days of the Internet.

But then something magical happened. Internet usage was taken over by normal people and GIF images saw a resurgence. It's no coincidence that the logical pronunciation took precedence.

Misha

Banned
gib gibbon giddy gift gig gigabit giggle gild gill gilt gimbal gimme gimp gingham ginkgo gird girl girt girth git give gizmo

"grammatical guideline" my ass. That's a worse myth than I before E.

I don't pronounce Voldemort the stupid way without a T, so why should I pronounce GIF the stupid way? Creators are full of shit sometimes. Language is a living organism, so if everyone else says hard G then it's hard G.

There's honestly no confusion on the issue. What you do have is some shut in nerds who never talked to anyone except online, so they could invent their own phonetics without sounding silly back in the prehistoric days of the Internet.

But then something magical happened. Internet usage was taken over by normal people and GIF images saw a resurgence. It's no coincidence that the logical pronunciation took precedence.

you wouldn't call him what he calls himself cause then you'd be dead

No, the only "just because" person is you. You've never been a language prescriptivist. Whenever someone counters you on a matter of language you (rightly) point out that language is a living organism. But now just because it goes against your personal inertia you've decided to stick it out for the minority pronunciation.

GIF has a hard G because its nearest phonetic neighbors have a hard G, and because the word its derived from has a hard G. That's not "just because". That's direct inference.

Jobbs

Banned
No, the only "just because" person is you. You've never been a language prescriptivist. Whenever someone counters you on a matter of language you (rightly) point out that language is a living organism. But now just because it goes against your personal inertia you've decided to stick it out for the minority pronunciation.

GIF has a hard G because its nearest phonetic neighbors have a hard G, and because the word its derived from has a hard G. That's not "just because". That's direct inference.

I've always used a soft G (since long before the format was popularized) so it's hard for me to change just because a lot of people now use a hard G.

...But I'll grant you that since the majority does seem to pronounce it with a hard G, I'm being hypocritical by holding out. I guess I'll have to consider switching teams.

I stand by my reasoning though, especially with respect to creator deference

I've had so many false pronunciations embedded in my head until embarrassingly corrected later in life. In high school I caught a bunch of slack for accidentally pronouncing maniacal as maniac-ull, and butcher as butt-cher. Per my teacher at the time, I butchered the pronunciation of butcher. Then it wasn't until college that I learned with humility about the difference between infinite and finite (finnit, according to me).

I'm sure there were other words I tripped up on as well. It happens to the best of us.

Jobbs

Banned
I've had so many false pronunciations embedded in my head until embarrassingly corrected later in life. In high school I caught a bunch of slack for accidentally pronouncing maniacal as maniac-ull, and butcher as butt-cher. Per my teacher at the time, I butchered the pronunciation of butcher. Then it wasn't until college that I learned with humility about the difference between infinite and finite (finnit, according to me).

I'm sure there were other words I tripped up on as well. It happens to the best of us.

The only cogent argument provided was the living organism argument, which you turned against me successfully. Nothing else made sense at all.

Everyone's wrong, therefore it's right, basically.

Well since you don't want to humour me

I assume you pronounce twat to rhyme with what, given that's how all Americans I've ever heard say twat pronounce it

Except, there are examples of twat being used in the 1600s to rhyme with hat. Before your country even existed

Therefore, if you always deferred to the creators on how to pronounce things, it should rhyme with hat, no?

So either change your pronunciation of twat or admit you're a hypocrite

:p

Jobbs

Banned
Well since you don't want to humour me

I assume you pronounce twat to rhyme with what, given that's how all Americans I've ever heard say twat pronounce it

Except, there are examples of twat being used in the 1600s to rhyme with hat. Before your country even existed

Therefore, if you always deferred to the creators on how to pronounce things, it should rhyme with hat, no?

So either change your pronunciation of twat or admit you're a hypocrite

:p

Twat rhymes with hot, not what. So I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I'm trying to sketch someone from the portrait thread. I like my sketch but it doesn't look enough like them so I'm irritated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom