• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kokoro Connect - 03

In this episode the masochistic tendencies of our MC are made clear! Oh sure, Inaba may try to dampen the reality of the situation by calling him a "selfless freak" who just finds himself going out of his way to help people in areas where no one else volunteers but I think I've seen enough anime by this point to see where this is going. Couple this with his love for "wrestling" and the art of "receiving" and I'm almost certain he'll drop that boring old Iori and end up with Fujishima instead. OTP confirmed!

Hmm, not sure what to think about for the beginning sequence of this episode. Understandably the situation they've found themselves in is a stressful one but that boundary between what was otherwise a light hearted beginning to a more serious tone was crossed seemingly without any sort of external trigger. One moment we're talking about a declaration of love and the next we get hit with "Everyone, except yourself, is an enemy." Which is a line that conflicts pretty heavily with Inaba caring so much about Iori's fragility like 5 minutes later. Her outburst a tad later on seems a bit more genuine in comparison.

Yui's backstory is about what I expected but frankly the progression of events after it bugged me. It feels cheap having a trauma that effects every interaction you have with the opposite sex that you've been carrying for a months/years being solved seemingly within the span of like 10 seconds. Good thing our caring (and now unquestionably masochistic) MC with no signs of carrying any sort of emotional baggage himself was there to save the day. Sigh. Really hoping this isn't a theme that's carried on through the rest of the episodes.

Syrinx

Shirobako 8

Hallucinating about her dolls while she's driving. This show is gonna have a plot point where she goes to the hospital after a nasty car accident or gets arrested or something.

The lesson to this episode is that when you're stuck, copy somebody elses work.

Upotte!! 05

eiYiKTx.jpg

Uh-huh.

Both semi-finals gets done and then there's the final. The Finnish gun does crazy things. Well... As expected of a Finn really ;P

cajunator

Banned

that wink is infectious

Puella Magi Steins;Gatica - 10

Shy Homura.. what is this?
Mami is alive! ..only to die again, wait is this a different timeline or what?
WHAT IS GOING ON STOP KILLING EACHOTHER
Homura is basically Okabe who can just travel back in time? Mistake by Kyubey?
So in the first episode alot of shit already went down multiple times, well.. as Homura time and not timeline.
OP is now ED? This is madness

Legendary episode. One of the best. This is what put Madoka Magica on the map really.

Upotte!! 01

It's a school for girls who's actually guns.

Lol this show is silly beyond belief. Also quite a bit lewd. But I liked it a lot.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 11

Homura made Madoka this powerful with all the timelines, and thus may have created the greatest witch ever?
Interesting that this has been going on since the dawn of our existance, and the wishes has folded our future since.
Pretty rad fight against the Bratwurst Witch, but Madoka comes in and it's time for her to make a wish!

The endgame cometh!

This month's Megami and Nyantype are pretty good. I just wonder who the girl with the camera is?

I'd post the Yuri Kuma Arashi one, but I don't want half the people here to die from nosebleeds.

hnnnnng so cute

HxH ED2 (Hunting for your dreams) is just too good. Even the visuals really grew on me, although they're simple. But the panning shot over a bunch of the characters followed by the silhouettes of the Phantom Troupe members is surprisingly cool.

Man, what a good arc. Have finished watching HxH by now and probably gonna write a post about my thoughts on the Chimera act, but even though there are bunch of single good episodes, that arc and Greed Island don't even come close to Phantom Troupe. That one itself has a few issues but still got me legitimately hyped.

Tbh I feel like this is, even despite the somewhat disappointing ending, the only really good arc in HxH. Maybe because that green-clad dipshit took a back seat during it. ED is indeed great and best of the show.

Sadly, I can now agree with this past statement of yours :(

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 42

The generals didn't turn into fairies.
They simply dissolved... into nothingess. That's a bit of a sad ending.
The fight beforehand was pretty neat, though. The usual padding with the stock attacks you'd expect at this point in the game, but plenty of original fight footage, too. Iona vs Oresky in particular. Hyped for the Megumi vs Mirage battle next week.

HappinessCharge Precure 42

Well I wasn't expecting that for the Generals.... almost makes me want to ask what was the point of all the pettering with them was. This is Toei though. I'm honestly not surprised this was as lame as it was. With names being thrown about on who was involved with the animation, I wasn't expecting a spectacle. In fact, we never really got a spectacle when the Generals fought.
So maybe what happened to them was fitting, as evident with the lack of fucks being given.

I mean for fucks sakes,
The moment their attacks failed when they transformed into Innocent Mode, they literally gave up. Despite kicking their asses before hand, they just went NOPE, NOT HAVING THIS, KILL ME NOW. it was rather pathetic and quite sad because of that

And we pretty much got spoiled on how the next episode ends in the Preview. SASUGA TOEI. I think I'll echo Mad P's sentiments and just say "Bring on Go Princess Precure".

I'm not even sure how the final arc part two will go down.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Psycho Pass 2 - 01-08

Totally forgot this started so decided to due a marathon. Not enough yuri, and new inspector girl can be annoying as shit at times but her obvious crush on Yayoi gives me hope
not a lot at the moment as it appears she's about to go through some real shit

But seriously, give me Shion x Yayoi goodness please.

Selector spread WIXOSS - 09
selector%20spread%20WIXOSS%20-%2009.jpg

more tears

There is never enough tears , suffering , abrupt partings , frienships broken ( because of friendship ) , plots , plans , sufffering and GLORIOUS Aki-lovely ( wait she's upgraded now )

Obvious turn of events for this episode , but seeing it happenning doesn't undermine what happenned so we managed to get this far , with maya rejecting hope now that she is a god ( confirmed ) now and the loneliness...

I need that OST NOW , such great music that comes with all those tears
Can't wait to see iona - tama
Yep this is going to happen , because as crazy as she is , i don't see the chance of akira in this match-up.

Ps: if chiyori
reverse wish is worse and eldora sacrifice meaningless
, the suffering WILL BE EVEN DEEPER... i ..honnestly can't wait for next week

Gonna honor , one of the best friend of this show :
1417217269482.jpg

Best friend : Wixoss edition

She deserve it

Midonin

SAO II 21

That was actually a pretty satisfying ending, though we've got a few more episodes to ride this season out, this arc has been pretty good overall. Asuna gets to have the spotlight to herself without really getting overshadowed, we meet a new group of friends, and the stakes are high enough to seem personal, but not quite as absurdly high as the Caliber arc.

AniHawk

Puella Magi Steins;Gatica - 10

Shy Homura.. what is this?
Mami is alive! ..only to die again, wait is this a different timeline or what?
WHAT IS GOING ON STOP KILLING EACHOTHER
Homura is basically Okabe who can just travel back in time? Mistake by Kyubey?
So in the first episode alot of shit already went down multiple times, well.. as Homura time and not timeline.
OP is now ED? This is madness

this shit was the fucking best. seriously.

Kokoro Connect - 04

"Have Taichi help you with your trauma as well."

wMfe3Kp.gif

Oh neat, someones going through Kokoro Connect with some nice writeups. Gonna be curious to see your thoughts on the drama. While there's a lot of it I felt like it was justified given the situation (which is a social nightmare of sorts) and never really goes full melodrama...that is until the OVAs.

It's not even the drama in and of itself that I have an issue at this point. Much more so the portrayal of the characters as figures needing to be "saved" by our main character and the ridiculous amount of success he has in turning around our female character's lives within the span of a 5-10 minute pep talk and/or kick to the balls. One it totally destroys the credibility of Inaba who has known about the problem the 2 other girls were facing before this whole body switching thing even started occurring and two the notion that these are issues
attempted rape with girl 1 and domestic abuse with girl 2
that could be "solved" as neatly as they are in the time span that they are totally kills the gravity of these situations and the extent to which these people were dealing with them. It's the audacity that the show is presenting that our single Masochist Jesus who has no sort of formal training in dealing with these issues can solve them within a fraction of a single running episode. Strangely enough it's breaking my suspension of disbelief more than anything involving the body switching.

Couple this with the frequency in which they just keep passing the buck to the next person that needs to be "saved" contributes to what's, at best, an extremely heavy handed style of storytelling.

Iori's totally fine and dandy after her requisite pep talk from MC aka Masochist Jesus and by the halfway point in the episode he's given his next mission :

"But the person you should really be worrying about is ... -camera points to Inaba-"

Like god dammit. Was prepping myself to be disappointed again by how this would find itself resolved but I felt like this was handled a lot better than the other two were just because of how minor it was in comparison. It's an inherently more relatable problem that's solved in a way that involves everyone else in the group, even if I'm annoyed that it was still solely the MC that instigated the change I can't be as annoyed at the conclusion as I was with everyone else. Why was Inaba fainting though? In any case it feels like the show's finished with "solving" the various issues everyone in the group has, unsurprisingly the show has given no indication that the other male character has an issue that needs to be solved by our lord and savior Masochist Jesus. Guess its only the women that are vulnerable and in need of having their various childhood traumas solved by our MC.

wMfe3Kp.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - 12 [END]

Somehow I didn't finish this up while it was airing, but now that I wrapped it up I want more!

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san Special - 01

nvJ6qjR.png
o4eOEh9.png

Nekoyama explaining how she say she likes Aki but not Inugami

My prayers were answered! :D
Even if it was just one episode. :lol

Selector spread WIXOSS - 09

Not all that surprised the Ulith survived her stabbing. In someway I'm thinking Akky's attack was for the scarring she would suffer rather than actually attempting to kill her. Curious to see where this battle is gonna go since I think it has more meaning than it seems to be letting on.

Rainbow - 01

Woah this is pretty gruesome, I like it. It's told as something of the past with a narrator, which helps to explain more in detail as to what happens.
Of course there's always the asshole guard who's gonna make this worse than it already is. The introduction with Sakuragi aka 'Bro' was.. interesting. That guy is bad ass, I like him already. I'm getting Kamina vibes, which eventually means...

Kokoro Connect - 04

It's not even the drama in and of itself that I have an issue at this point. Much more so the portrayal of the characters as figures needing to be "saved" by our main character and the ridiculous amount of success he has in turning around our female character's lives within the span of a 5-10 minute pep talk and/or kick to the balls. One it totally destroys the credibility of Inaba who has known about the problem the 2 other girls were facing before this whole body switching thing even started occurring and two the notion that these are issues
that could be "solved" as neatly as they are in the time span that they are totally kills the gravity of these situations and the extent to which these people were dealing with them. It's the audacity that the show is presenting that our single Masochist Jesus who has no sort of formal training in dealing with these issues can solve them within a fraction of a single running episode. Strangely enough it's breaking my suspension of disbelief more than anything involving the body switching.

Couple this with the frequency in which they just keep passing the buck to the next person that needs to be "saved" contributes to what's, at best, an extremely heavy handed style of storytelling.

Iori's totally fine and dandy after her requisite pep talk from MC aka Masochist Jesus and by the halfway point in the episode he's given his next mission :

"But the person you should really be worrying about is ... -camera points to Inaba-"

Like god dammit. Was prepping myself to be disappointed again by how this would find itself resolved but I felt like this was handled a lot better than the other two were just because of how minor it was in comparison. It's an inherently more relatable problem that's solved in a way that involves everyone else in the group, even if I'm annoyed that it was still solely the MC that instigated the change I can't be as annoyed at the conclusion as I was with everyone else. Why was Inaba fainting though? In any case it feels like the show's finished with "solving" the various issues everyone in the group has, unsurprisingly the show has given no indication that the other male character has an issue that needs to be solved by our lord and savior Masochist Jesus. Guess its only the women that are vulnerable and in need of having their various childhood traumas solved by our MC

Yikes, already at 'savior Masochist Jesus' huh?

Can't quite recall why I didn't dislike the MC as much but it's probably because the phenomenas were really interesting to me, the pacing fast and the character's actions rather (relatively...) logical. Well at least on a surface level I didn't feel like there was much idiot balling going on until the OVAs arrived.

But, yes, the MC is of that girl-fixer type, one which I usually detest, especially when the show doesn't seem to acknowledge this (Clannad MC...holy shit). Overall none of the characters have much depths; yet, I recall liking all of them rather than disliking them. Somewhat shallow but not necessarily bad.

That said, I can't really disagree with anything you said apart from perhaps exaggerating the MCs girl-fixing some. Wonder if you'll keep going much further with this anime if you're already posting the 'can't deal with it anymore' gifs.

Kokoro Connect - 04

wMfe3Kp.gif

Like god dammit. Was prepping myself to be disappointed again by how this would find itself resolved but I felt like this was handled a lot better than the other two were just because of how minor it was in comparison. It's an inherently more relatable problem that's solved in a way that involves everyone else in the group, even if I'm annoyed that it was still solely the MC that instigated the change I can't be as annoyed at the conclusion as I was with everyone else. Why was Inaba fainting though? In any case it feels like the show's finished with "solving" the various issues everyone in the group has, unsurprisingly the show has given no indication that the other male character has an issue that needs to be solved by our lord and savior Masochist Jesus. Guess its only the women that are vulnerable and in need of having their various childhood traumas solved by our MC.

wMfe3Kp.gif

Damn if your complaining this much for the MC even if it's minor, I can't even imagine you being able to watch Clannad :0

Yikes, already at 'savior Masochist Jesus' huh?

Can't quite recall why I didn't dislike the MC as much but it's probably because the phenomenas were really interesting to me, the pacing fast and the character's actions rather (relatively...) logical. Well at least on a surface level I didn't feel like there was much idiot balling going on until the OVAs arrived.

But, yes, the MC is of that girl-fixer type, one which I usually detest, especially when the show doesn't seem to acknowledge this (Clannad MC...holy shit). Overall none of the characters have much depths; yet, I recall liking all of them rather than disliking them. Somewhat shallow but not necessarily bad.

That said, I can't really disagree with anything you said apart from perhaps exaggerating the MCs girl-fixing some. Wonder if you'll keep going much further with this anime if you're already posting the 'can't deal with it anymore' gifs.

There were cute moments that I like and I'll still say that the show's strength up until this point has been in its few moments of more light hearted comedy. It's definitely not at "completely irredeemable dropping now" status but I'll admit to have wanted to have a little more meat to the individual girl's stories and more interaction amongst the group rather than the MC himself being the default, go-to guy for "trauma" fixing. I'm actually interested to see where the show is going to go now that its gone out of its way to blow through the backstory / trauma solving for each of the female leads. I would have thought they'd have stretched it out a bit more.

Damn if your complaining this much for the MC even if it's minor, I can't even imagine you being able to watch Clannad :0

Will be avoiding Clannad, haha.

Kokoro Connect - 05

I definitely felt like the show stumbled when it tried to present the heavy stuff to each of the respective female leads so this shift back to more grounded, highschool level problems has been a welcome cha-

wait wha?

Suddenly swerves. Suddenly the show is actually playing around with the concept of its world in a way that's interesting. People "pretending" to be someone else within their own body is next level stuff and I'm glad that show is willing to explore that angle of the random body switching. Second swerve with the
return of Kung-Fu Plant Alien
was less welcome. I sincerely hope that they're not going to use random possessions like that to implant drama in situations that wouldn't otherwise have them. There's enough potential story telling fuel with this concept in and of itself without also needing intervention from a third party to get things going again. But man are these guys the definition of assholes. Total
drama bait
episode.

I do like that the "traumas" don't seem to have been solved as neatly as the show initially implied, though admittedly I still find it weird that blondie's rejection in the first part of the episode had nothing to do with her potentially(?) on going fear of men.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 14

Everybody's motivations are so all-over-the-place that it's really getting hard to determine why many of the characters are taking the actions they are.

JCG

Code Geass R2 14

Everybody's motivations are so all-over-the-place that it's really getting hard to determine why many of the characters are taking the actions they are.

Well, these are some rather messed up individuals to begin with and they are in the midst of events that aren't making things any easier for them. For that matter, I believe Lelouch does spell out the reasons for what he did during this episode as part of his reaction to what had already happened before. I don't think that was the best move, but I can see why he -who isn't exactly a normal person- would do it.

Even without the benefit of hindsight (but even more so with it) I'd say their emotions are what's out of control, rather than their motivations. Not that I blame you for finding some parts confusing.

AniHawk

Katanagari 2

Somehow manages to be even better than the first episode. Lots of talking, but the MCs and even the villain have lots of chemistry. More shows should take note of how to build non-black/white conflicts. Some great messaging about the power of nature and the frailty of humans towards the end too.

Art style continues to captivate me as well. If you don't mind wordyness and haven't watched this yet, I'd give it shot.

However, by that point you'll have been torn to pieces.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the soundtrack is killer.

i worked on this show for a little bit (i was a tester on the first half of it). it really surprised me. i thought it was great. episode 4 was probably my favorite.

the talky stuff never goes away, but i find it to be the show's strengths, because while the battles are neat and creative, there was actually some weight behind them too.

I started Argevollen and its almost impressive how terrible the mech's design is. Show seems fine otherwise even if there isn't an original thought anywhere. Jamie is a pretty cool character though. Hopefully she grows into being a great engineer by the end and isn't relegated to being a poorly developed love interest for the bland main character

I started Argevollen and its almost impressive how terrible the mech's design is. Show seems fine otherwise even if there isn't an original thought anywhere. Jamie is a pretty cool character though. Hopefully she grows into being a great engineer by the end and isn't relegated to being a poorly developed love interest for the bland main character

I stopped 6 episodes in because that was my summary and it seemed like Jamie was nothing but a follower "I ride newtype dick" character.

Really? I thought Arge has a great design that enable it to be one of the better sword equipped mechs out there.

Faith is such a good ED song.

Chaika S2 8

I have zero faith that Frederica will do anything remotely cool this series and it will be just a case of "Man imagine if..."

Hartgen is probably getting played as well. Shin is a total badass though. Toru is cool but he stood no chance against him.

Marathoning Haikyuu!! to where I stopped and only now have I just realized that Iwai (AKA best Aoba Jousai) has the same VA as Arakita.

I feel so slow sometimes.

F/SN UBW 8

If ever there was a time to make an argument for doing kind of an amalgamation route of the 3 F/SN into one instead of adapting one specific one for this "sequel to F/Z" anime this episode would be what you'd want to avoid. Having
Rider get perma killed this early in the story just feels far wrong especially when she's never really gotten a fight to show off her abilities
. It's one thing for the 2nd route of a 3 route LN to kill off a character early, but when your cast is limited to 7 major fights and you kill one of them off without giving them any major battle scenes or moments to shine you lose me. It's the catch 22 where killing the character off keeps it in line with the VN, but that doesn't make for an exciting stand alone anime. Maybe if Ufotable was planning to do an adaptation of all 3 arcs it'd be one thing but that's never gonna happen

Cross Ange 8

Hilda's character is suddenly all deep and stuff, I guess.
Guess we'll learn about Hilda's tragic past. Also guessing that Hilda learns that Chris and orange girl really care for her and changes her heart (or they all die, which is more likely).
This show gives off vibes that most of these characters won't live to see the end of the series, even if it hasn't been xtreme edgy since like episode 2.

edit: ^
Rider
is a major character in HF, which is getting or movie (series?).

JCG

F/SN UBW 8

Maybe if Ufotable was planning to do an adaptation of all 3 arcs it'd be one thing but that's never gonna happen

Perhaps not, but they're still going to adapt two of the arcs.

It seems a certain character gets a lot more to do in HF, so you can look forward to seeing the movie version as partial compensation.

I loved this part for all the rage it brought.

I recall a few people actually cheered when it happened. I'm not that sadistic though.

UBW 7

That... wasn't too bad? Though this to the
graveyard scene
were the high points of UBW anyway. However the direction is lol-worthy. Hey, let's zoom out really far and have lots of scenes of characters standing around doing literally nothing while they talk. Very exciting.

It's also possible that this episode was good because it was all about Archer, who's a pretty decent character next to these other bums. Also lol'd at
Shirou insulting Archer for being unable to kill him.
Shirou's bullshit survive-imminent-death skills are a little more bearable when there's a bit of self-awareness to them.

Branduil

Garden of Sinners 6: Oblivion Recording

http://a.pomf.se/piytfq.webm

Fetishism aside, this was another fairly typical Garden of Sinners movie, and by that I mean it's overly serious and self-important, with a simple story presented in an obtuse and plodding manner. One of Nasu's flaws as a writer seems to be confusing banality and philosophical jargon for profundity.

The main difference between this and previous movies is that dull glasses-face is replaced by his cliched thirsty Catholic sister. However, she does at least have a personality, so it's still a marked improvement over Shiki and Glasses-Face whispering sweet nothings at each other's expressionless faces. Paradox Spiral really was a fluke.

Well, at least this film had some great background art:

UBW 8

Decent episode. The directing was much better than last episode with no still or almost still scenes with lots of talking. Shirou continues to show shounen levels of density towards members of the opposite sex. Also couldn't help but notice that this episode was a bit sexist. Rin (the woman) is supposed to be the powerful and knowledgeable mage, yet makes two key mistakes and then buckles under the pressure of the situation... only for Shirou, (the man) to calmly deal with the situation and summon Saber to save them. But hey, at least it isn't

KeBYGwB.png

Next episode has probably my favorite moment in the whole VN, so I'm at least looking forward to that.

VRMN

UBW 8

Also couldn't help but notice that this episode was a bit sexist. Rin (the woman) is supposed to be the powerful and knowledgeable mage, yet makes two key mistakes and then buckles under the pressure of the situation... only for Shirou, (the man) to calmly deal with the situation and summon Saber to save them.

I won't deny this, but this is in line with Rin's character. She tends to make small mistakes at critical moments even though she's pretty much perfect the rest of the time. Episode 00 with how she screwed up summoning her Servant was establishing this, as I'm sure you're aware as a VN reader. If anything, ufotable has toned down how sexist Shirou is in the VN.

The "pressure buckling" is another thing I think is more indicative of their worldly experiences, rather than a statement on gender. Rin, while skilled and trained in magic, isn't used to death. Shirou, for all his inexperience, has that experience of being in that crisis situation surrounded by death.

I won't deny this, but this is in line with Rin's character. She tends to make small mistakes at critical moments even though she's pretty much perfect the rest of the time. Episode 00 with how she screwed up summoning her Servant was establishing this, as I'm sure you're aware as a VN reader. If anything, ufotable has toned down how sexist Shirou is in the VN.

The "pressure buckling" is another thing I think is more indicative of their worldly experiences, rather than a statement on gender. Rin, while skilled and trained in magic, isn't used to death. Shirou, for all his inexperience, has that experience of being in that crisis situation surrounded by death.

Well when I read ("played", lol) I didn't notice but watching this made it pretty clear. It's not really overly offensive, I just found it funny because it pretty much was a textbook example of that stuff. Now I'm wishing Rin had her Fate route personality.

fertygo

Garden of Sinners 6: Oblivion Recording

http://a.pomf.se/piytfq.webm

Fetishism aside, this was another fairly typical Garden of Sinners movie, and by that I mean it's overly serious and self-important, with a simple story presented in an obtuse and plodding manner. One of Nasu's flaws as a writer seems to be confusing banality and philosophical jargon for profundity.

The main difference between this and previous movies is that dull glasses-face is replaced by his cliched thirsty Catholic sister. However, she does at least have a personality, so it's still a marked improvement over Shiki and Glasses-Face whispering sweet nothings at each other's expressionless faces. Paradox Spiral really was a fluke.

Well, at least this film had some great background art:

But Mirai Fukuin..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

When people complain that Rin has character flaws, you can tell they haven't come up with a good explanation of why they mad. She is in fact worse at various things than Shirou is.

When people complain that Rin has character flaws, you can tell they haven't come up with a good explanation of why they mad. She is in fact worse at various things than Shirou is.

I was commentating on the scene itself, which is something I just noticed when watching the episode. Rin isn't a bad character, she's just kind of whatever. Fate route Rin would have solved that shit in like 2 seconds but she was probably too good of a character to be allowed to be the main girl of a route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom