• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
ronja 3-6

They've completely nailed the whimsical sense of discovery and the dangers lurking beneath it all which contrasts rather nicely to the somewhat jovial feud between to two tribes. I'm looking forward to what's coming up next even if it is painfully obvious what they're gonna do with the boy and the split castle motif.

Interesting. Might check this out after all.

Totally understandable. I only recently started purchasing anime this past year. Pretty much anything that can be bought on a sale I wait for a sale to happen.

I can't explain why I like it, but I just do.

I know that feeling. Sometimes what seems like instabuy to one person requires some serious careful consideration by another. For me, I didnt love Gurren Lagann THAT much but Im now buying it volume by volume on BD. Just didnt need that huge boxset taking up so much space on the shelf when the NISA sets already take way too much. That and I just cant swing that kind of purchase all at once all the time. But you are a gigantic fan and for you it might as well be made out of gold. Good on you BEAR.

I just wanted to compliment you on your best avatar of the best girl.

Truly you possess the greatest taste.

Indeed he does! Onodera da goddess.
Haters hate.

I finally ordered BD Vol. 1
Supporting S2 and onwards to get more best girl screen time.

:D

On the second day of Christmas, my Rightstuf put on sale...

Devil is a Part-Timer: $32.49
One Piece Season 5 Parts 1-6: $20 dollars each
Soul Eater Complete Series: $30 for both DVD and Blu-Ray releases.
Serial Experiments Lain: $20
The World God Only Knows seasons 1 and 2: $21 for the DVDs, $24.50 for the Blu-Rays

And a list of other things to...

Some good stuff there!

Midonin

Actually, it's a mostly typical magical girl series. The car aspect of it comes from their wands, which even make engine revving sounds.

TUSR

Banned
Actually, it's a mostly typical magical girl series. The car aspect of it comes from their wands, which even make engine revving sounds.

I need to show this to my car friends. I can just imagine someone casting a spell and hearing a blow off valve.

This isnt the first collaboration. There is another Pleiades show with these cuties.

one could say, that anime is truly saved.

DiGiKerot

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that looks exactly like Homura from behind.

Nah, Homura's hair is always shown parting into two towards the bottom
as a result of her having had it as twin braids for so long
, rather than perfectly straight like that.

Gintama 024

CQn4iDd.jpg

Cute.

phaze

Ergo Proxy 22-23

000028xcjym.png
000025joko5.png

000027qwky8.png
000029pkj5k.png

^ My face during the last episode.

The first shot I ever saw of this show turned out to be the last ?

Man, kudos to anyone who managed to predict that twist at the end of 22
because I certainly did not. Even after rewatching the final three episodes, the whole Vincent/Ergo/Proxy One and Re-L/Real/Monad conundrum is a vague mess. I'm not even sure if the timeline of events makes sense. Monad would have be captured only a short while before the events of the series. And given Re-L's age and no mention of any accelerated ageing on her part, this doesn't seem to be the case. In the end this ended on a much happier note than I expected. I thought at least Vincent and Re-L would bite the bullet for sure. The last 3 minutes was pure hype
though that ending seems to put into question the ultimate fate of the main trio.

-----

Ergo Proxy is a 2006 TV show produced by Manglobe, directed by Shukō Murase and written by Dai Satō (Bebop, Gits:SAC, Wolf Rain). Set in the post-apocalyptic world, where the remains of humanity live in the separate and closed off dome-cities, Ergo Proxy mainly follows the merry adventures of three characters: Re-L Mayer, the granddaughter of the ruler of the city of Romdeau, Vincent Law - fresh immigrant to said city and Pino, a small droid girl who gains self conciousness due to the Cogito virus. I will say here, that despite the wealth of development given to Vincent and Re-L and their relationship, for some reason I couldn't bring myself to like them. Ironically the two characters I disliked at the beginning, Pino and Raul, have grown to be my favourites. The former might not have had a very important role to play but she was a bulb of light in an otherwise pitch black world. Raul's arc provides Ergo with its most poignant and emotional moment. A surprising development given that he started out as a boring antagonist for the main characters.

EP is a very curious and at times, utterly deranged beast. What starts as an investigation as into the the rebellious droids quickly morphs into pursuit of mythical monsters, a journey through the wasteland with the story slowly trudging along, only for it to ground to a halt and the show to devolve into m̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ Proxy of the week format. I suppose calling them that is underselling them as they're consist of some of the most wacky stuff I have ever witnessed on TV. Sometimes their sole raison d'etre seems to be to try to drive the viewer to insanity. There is a TV game show spoof, episodes that play with linearity events or happen entirely in the minds of characters. The show delights in throwing the viewer into those episodes with no explanation whatsoever and they're never referred to again. (I can think of only one instance.) There is a method to this madness however, besides a ham fisted but crucial infodump, those episodes bring many important insights into the mysterious proxies and the state of this devastated world.

On the technical side of things, Ergo begins with a great first episode but sadly, never manages to reach those heights again. The art is inconsistent. There are frequent occurrences of off model characters. The rare action scenes are passable but not particularly noteworthy. In general, an Ufotable production this is not. Of note however is the art direction and the use of brown, black and grey to create a dreary and depressing setting. This is a world after apocalypse and you can certainly see that.

One thing I disliked is that the city of Romdeau never truly feels alive. Outside of 2 first episodes, 95 % of the time spent there takes place in the offices and bureaus of Deadalus, Raul and the regent. Most of the time the population of the city seems to consist of 5 people.

Ergo is often referred to as being either deeply philosophical or just outrageously pretentious. Being a peasant in the realm of the former, I was quite eager to assign it to the second category. And make no mistake it often borders and sometimes crosses the pretentious threshold. One scene from the final episode in particular. That said, while it may not explore every idea it drops on the viewer, there is a real depth there but one that requires a considerable grasp of Gnosticism, Descartes and god knows who else. Without it a lot of this will fly above your head.

At the end of the day, I'm not quite sure what to make of Ergo Proxy. It feels like the coherence of the main narrative was sacrificed for the sake of the show's underlying themes and personal character arcs. Beside some unexplained stuff and (seemingly) plotholes the story ends on a giant cliffhanger, one that would need another full season to fully explore. Ergo doesn't quite reach the heights of Texhnolyze or Lain (though I would say its easier to go through than Tex) but it remains an enjoyable ride if you have a stomach for those kind of shows.

Still, fuck the exposition dump in episode 15.

Gintama 025

Hehe.

It's the most exciting food fight episode ever, with lots of twists and surprises. Good thing it wasn't a recap episode.

New OP is ok, but the first one was better. New ED is better than the second ED :p

On the second day of Christmas, my Rightstuf put on sale...

Devil is a Part-Timer: $32.49
One Piece Season 5 Parts 1-6: $20 dollars each
Soul Eater Complete Series: $30 for both DVD and Blu-Ray releases.
Serial Experiments Lain: $20
The World God Only Knows seasons 1 and 2: $21 for the DVDs, $24.50 for the Blu-Rays

And a list of other things to...

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 1 & 2 Blu-ray Complete Collection: $24.49 each

I am all over this, been waiting for a sale on this.

Midonin

Trinity Seven 09

This show's combination of lewd and lore continues apace. Arata for me is falling somewhere between Yuuji (on the low end) and Jurai (on the high end). He is also
Berserker!Lancelot, apparently?
Mira was pretty cute, too. She's got the charm of a tsundere down, and spending most of the episode in only a shirt helps the cuteness factor out, too.

Himemiya

gdgd Fairies S2 2-5

Feels like the show's become more reliant on references to other anime for comedy this season. Madoka was out a few seasons before gdgd S1 but they wait til 2013 to make jokes about it. The show is so cheap it could've been done earlier (or not at all). These eps had some good parts like the time travel mission to get back pk-chan's hair balls, whatever I screenshot, and the "magic speaker" segment, which is pretty great so far.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 04

I'm not sure if I had too little sleep last night but this was a total snoozefest. I don't really care for Emiya. Saber is pretty great though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Psycho Pass... 8 is it? Yeah I think it was 8.

Well that cliff hanger had no sense of suspense considering what the trailer for the movie has shown us.

phaze

Is Chuuni the show this infamous gif comes from ? Have to watch it if so.

Shin Sekai Yori 3

I think I remember why I dropped this show. Slow pacing and annoying kids as the main characters. I want to strangle all of them. Will have to rewatch the first 2 episodes because I've forgotten most of the what happened there and those flashbacks are doing my head in.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 05

That ranged.. chain dagger must hurt like hell in your arm. Why would you rush after the enemy with that thing still in your arm? You're at quite the disadvantage, especially since you've seen Servants before.
I'm not sure I understand Rins back and forth of being nice and bad. 'Let's get a truce! Now I demand your seal commands! You saved me? T-thanks, forget what I just did.' I hope she's just trying to prepare Emiya or I don't know what to think.
The new 'Rogue' Servant looks.. lewd. I like the idea of the blindfold a la Illidan, but that looks like one of those sleep masks.

Mature

Shin Sekai Yori 3

I think I remember why I dropped this show. Slow pacing and annoying kids as the main characters. I want to strangle all of them. Will have to rewatch the first 2 episodes because I've forgotten most of the what happened there and those flashbacks are doing my head in.
Though I wasn't annoyed at the first few episodes, the pacing does pick up pretty quickly soon thereafter.

So I am entirely sure that I'll regret posting this in this thread. I need some recommendations.

I need more crappy and mediocre anime to watch. There are too many good series that I haven't seen and am I just now willing to dedicate the time to. On the other hand I watched Aldnoah Zero in the past two days and that was absolute great. The show was dumb, mindless, unoriginal, incredibly mediocre. I didn't have to think, I didn't even have to pay attention since it was so obvious and predictable. Hell I tune out the last 3 episodes almost entirely. I guess any recommendation for mediocre shit like that or mindless train wrecks would do.

cajunator

Banned
desu girl doesn't ever shut the fuck up either.

It's like uguuu only she says it even more often.

Desu girl gets so much more cute when she lets her hair down and relaxes a bit.

Is Chuuni the show this infamous gif comes from ? Have to watch it if so.

Shin Sekai Yori 3

Stick with the series. This series gets AMAZINGLY good. The story behind all of this is very interesting and poignant and really might stick with you and make you think hard about whats going on here. I was really impressed with where this show went and how it ended. It really stuck with me big time. It starts out vague on purpose. you are supposed to be completely mystified by what its doing and soon it will become a lot clearer why things are as they are. In fact, the answers are right under your nose.

Also hell yeah thats a Chuuni gif :D

Dresden

So I am entirely sure that I'll regret posting this in this thread. I need some recommendations.

I need more crappy and mediocre anime to watch. There are too many good series that I haven't seen and am I just now willing to dedicate the time to. On the other hand I watched Aldnoah Zero in the past two days and that was absolute great. The show was dumb, mindless, unoriginal, incredibly mediocre. I didn't have to think, I didn't even have to pay attention since it was so obvious and predictable. Hell I tune out the last 3 episodes almost entirely. I guess any recommendation for mediocre shit like that or mindless train wrecks would do.

burst angel

Theonik

Valvrave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom