• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Code geass R2 19-1 minute in
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO BUILT THE FUCKING THING AND TOLD HIM REPEATEDLY TO USE IT YOU FUCKING CUNT!

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters Try-8
tumblr_lz9izkRW5R1r3zat8.gif

These fights are so piss-poor. Holy shit, some of this stuff is boring beyond belief.

Episode 8 was honestly the first time I felt mad. Like, that fight could've been so, so much better. As the only side character with any personality so far, Gyanko deserved better.

Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now? Just notice from cleaning up my room of how many Anime dvd I have own right now and it's quite bit. Might consider to get rid of them soon as I am slowly transfer the show onto my external HDD. The picture below are show I have own as of now.

Note: Currently watching Noir right now. Kinda slow pace in the beginning but kinda interested in the Sodlat stuff right now.

That's a mighty fine collection you got. I'd recommend keeping most of it since some of that stuff is hard to find. (ADV Macross anyone?)

If you do sell let us know so we can kindly take it off of your hands.

cajunator

Banned
Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now? Just notice from cleaning up my room of how many Anime dvd I have own right now and it's quite bit. Might consider to get rid of them soon as I am slowly transfer the show onto my external HDD. The picture below are show I have own as of now.

Note: Currently watching Noir right now. Kinda slow pace in the beginning but kinda interested in the Sodlat stuff right now

very nice collection. Similar in size to mine actually. I still collect physical copies of most shows. Call me a dinosaur if you want to. Collecting is one of lifes joys.

Noir is a great show but it starts extremely slowly. Over time the flashbacks get explained. The story is actually pretty solid but it takss literally half the show to get rolling.

That's a shit ton of singles.

yeah thats about how many ive got and it takes up a loooooooot of space! Hopefully he has several bookshelves for that.

Jarmel

Banned
Episode 8 was honestly the first time I felt mad. Like, that fight could've been so, so much better. As the only side character with any personality so far, Gyanko deserved better.

I'm really starting to get frustrated. These fights just feel like one team jobbing against another or if we're lucky we might get some bullshit power pulled out of nowhere for the climax.

So much of this feels perfunctory in the worst way possible. Why bother showing half of these fights if they're going to be this bad. Oh wait I know why!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JCG

You have quite a nice collection.

Mine is a little too disorganized at the moment to post any pictures, but someday I'll get around to working on that.

Code Geass R2 18

You may (or, just as well, may not) want to re-watch parts of this one later, after getting through the next few episodes.

There's something odd/interesting about it (although I disliked the idea at first and some folks can't get over it). I'll spell it out if I remember to post about that by then.

Code geass R2 19-1 minute in
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO BUILT THE FUCKING THING AND TOLD HIM REPEATEDLY TO USE IT YOU FUCKING CUNT!

Indeed. Nina is worst girl for a reason. The definition of blinded by hate to the point of stupidity.

Btw, I think episode 17 was probably my favorite part of this half that isn't the ending. Quite a bumpy road to it though, in both good and bad ways.

zulux21

Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now? J

I watch japanese releases via stream, and any shows I didn't hate that get an american release I buy... I have spent about $250 on anime dvd/blu ray in the last week and will likely spend at least another $100 on the rightstuf 12 day sale :p

I have no clue where I am going to put them at this time.... but at least I don't have to worry about a site taking them down if I want to watch them 10 years from now.

cajunator

Banned
I watch japanese releases via stream, and any shows I didn't hate that get an american release I buy... I have spent about $250 on anime dvd/blu ray in the last week and will likely spend at least another $100 on the rightstuf 12 day sale :p

I have no clue where I am going to put them at this time.... but at least I don't have to worry about a site taking them down if I want to watch them 10 years from now.

Thats one reason why I stock up on it. I could pull something like Dirty pair off the shelf right now. Or Magic Knight Rayearth. Or Iria. Things that arent streaming anywhere and probably wont ever.

Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now?

I've only bought my top favorite shows/films that I can watch with others and it's a show that isn't always available for streaming, like Samurai Champloo. Cowboy Bebop will probably be the last show I buy for a while as I don't know if I'll be buying Space Dandy anytime soon. I'll also eventually buy Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

Narag

Wake Up, Girls ZOO 1-5

Idols belong in a zoo. First two eps are weak but the following three come roaring back. Good stuff.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 19
Zero exposed like a motherfucker. Him giving himself up like that and playing along and letting the Black Knights think he betrayed them and was using them this whole time, as well as admitting to Suzaku that he used Geass on Euphy to kill the Japanese as some "plan" of his even though he knows it was just an accident...this dude was just broken and self-loathing at this point. Nunally dying because of his Geass was probably the last straw. At least he's got his will back at the end and somewhat accepted what a piece of shit he is. Him being a monster or not, Charles has to be dealt with.

And Suzaku laughs maniacally. 'Cause well...why not? He just killed millions of people, including Nunally as well as several others he cared about. That's what people who lose their mind in this show do.

How does this even end? No matter who wins, everybody loses.

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose I should articulate a bit more on why I think Chaika has been garbage this season.

First thing, the plot just seems to be spinning its wheels along with the narrative. The audience has very little clue as to what is going on and so why should we be invested into any of this Chaika nonsense? We're way into the final arc and so many things are left unknown that I'm wondering where the narrative is heading towards. We also have characters that really shouldn't be invested into any of this. Why does Red or White Chaika give a shit at this point? They know their memories are fake and yet they continue to act as if that revelation has never happened. The show never establishes any sort of memories of Emperor Gaz on the part of the Chaikas so I have no investment in White Chaika's seeking of closure (I guess?). It's just a bunch of monkeys flinging shit at each other.
ibiXx1SU01owLf.jpg

I just started laughing my head off in this sequence. Who was the bigger jobber this year, Frederica or Tsumugu(KLK)?
Many of the character's don't serve any purpose or have any strong growth or definition on their part. Why does Frederica exist? Is it to job in another fight? Gillett's 'arc', if you want to call a shitty amnesia subplot that is resolved in one episode and seemingly serving no purpose whatsoever, is so laughably handled that I would have preferred him to have stayed dead at the end of the first season. Toru is just following Chaika out of a sense of loyalty or love. Anything past that is still up in the air, as seen when Chaika asked him about his earlier feelings on war, and he just reflected the question back at her. The only two people that have had anything resembling strong convictions and resembling any sort of depth have been Hartgen and Claudia.
i1VgtlDPJtuWv.jpg

All the colors of the rainbow
Then there is the poor direction in how some of the sequences in the show are handled. For example when Frederica smells corpses, that could have been turned into a great mini horror sequence. Instead we get color coordinated Chaikas. What the fuck. Then the battle in the arena was so placid between Red Chaika and White Chaika. I mean even at least the Gillett bit had some level of tension and emotion. How Chaika is
abducted at the end is fucking laughable. Some guys just appear out of a wall and grab her

The pacing this season has been glacially slow. The island arc and now this arc has dragged on for way too damn long. At least the island arc had revelations pushing it forward. This arc has just been boring despite it being constant death matches. How do you make this many death matches this boring? There's very little gore or blood and the situations themselves are uninteresting.

Chaika this season has been trash. The first season wasn't great but the better pacing helped make things more tolerable despite its problems.

Strikerrr

Banned
Chaika S1 followed the original LN material relatively well. S2 has mostly been Bones original story with some vague elements of the source material crammed into 10 episodes. They are so bad at doing overarching storylines on their own. Look at Captain Earth where they had a lot more time and a higher budget but still could not deliver a satisfying story and totally rushed and botched the ending.

Senhime/Senki Zesshou Symphogear 1-13

I'd say this was overall a decent experience. I liked the concept of singing = power and the Symphogears themselves. There's a decent number of nicely animated scenes (sakuga?) spattered although there's plenty of middling stuff as well which didn't bother me too much. Hibiki and Tsubasa's relationship had a nice progression especially towards the end and
Chris
ended up dropping the
tsundere(?)
stuff towards the end as well. Plot wise the thread they started with kind of stopped in favour of dealing with a particular threat towards the end so I assume that will be addressed/continued in the sequel.

One thing I have to note for sure is how funny the English bits were in the show. I understand for native JP viewers it probably wasn't an issue but the Japanese accents are pretty heavy here during those few conversations where the participants are exclusively speaking in English.

If you're looking for a decent (read not great or amazing) action anime then I would recommend.

EDIT: Wow, the edit function works properly now.

Narag

Strike Witches 2 - 11

Really wish expiration and Mio's role was more to the forefront of this season rather than mostly a B-plot because it's probably the best thing about the show.

TUSR

Banned
Good points Jarmel, Chaika AB is an absolute chore to watch. I don't think I can explicitly remember one episode I have enjoyed this season. Maybe the first episode? Who knows, it's garbage regardless.

I'd have stopped watching S2 if it wasn't close to the end. Jarmel nailed how disappointing it's been.

I've quit plenty of shows near the end before. I'm finding it a chore to convince myself to watch the final season of Sons of Anarchy, and I dropped Walking Dead like late S3. Also I dropped Aldnoah.Zero like slightly over halfway.

Gintama Poll Arc Opening/Parody Version
http://youtu.be/usjwNp3s94c
I don't know how many times I have laughed at this, but it's amazingly hilarious.

I swear this is why I love Gintama, it literally make's a parody of it's self. Like this is parody being utilized to its fullest.

Also the funny part is that the animation is better than most Anime 😂

Thoraxes

So I am entirely sure that I'll regret posting this in this thread. I need some recommendations.

I need more crappy and mediocre anime to watch. There are too many good series that I haven't seen and am I just now willing to dedicate the time to. On the other hand I watched Aldnoah Zero in the past two days and that was absolute great. The show was dumb, mindless, unoriginal, incredibly mediocre. I didn't have to think, I didn't even have to pay attention since it was so obvious and predictable. Hell I tune out the last 3 episodes almost entirely. I guess any recommendation for mediocre shit like that or mindless train wrecks would do.

Hyouka.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maken-ki! Two - 09

An episode where they legitimately ship Kazuki x Furan? Well hoooooly shit.

Also, Furan has the potential to be one of the best girls from the cast when her hair is down and she's not wearing glasses.

Narag

Strike Witches 2 - 12 FIN

Good end to a good show.

---

This was a pretty great little show, improved in all areas over the first season from Gonzo. It's just such an all around refinement with a better narrative, better balancing of the cast such that it feels far more ensemble than "witch of the week," far better animated in both the 2-D & 3-D realm, and paced wonderfully so each episode just blew by. I'd been told the second season was better but I never managed to interpret that as a better all around product. I'd gladly take a third season if the material continues to be further refined as it was here.

I can't lie, part of the reason I found myself really liking this season was, while the first season was more or less its own thing, this had a quality about it as if it was influenced by previous anime especially when dealing with the Neuroi. Echos of Evangelion, Diebuster and, Yamato were present in this and it added a great deal of flavor to the show. These elements were always leveraged in a manner that they felt like proper homage than rip-off as well which was nice as they gave the serious business half of the show some genuine gravitas.

Biggest caveat with this one though is the excessive fanservice. It's similar to No Game No Life in how a great show revels in it (although it's certain that's the main cnoceit of this property) and consequently limits the audience of the show and just who one could recommend it to. This season somehow turned it up to 11. I wouldn't be wrong to describe it as unrelenting.

but yeah, like the first season, no one cares about that so here's your updated Witch rankings::

1. Lynette
  2. Barkhorn
  3. Hartmann
  4. Perrine
  5. Sanya
  6. Shirley
  7. Sakamoto
  8. ]Miyafuji
  9. Minna
  10. Eila
  11. Lucchini

CorvoSol

I'm really starting to get frustrated. These fights just feel like one team jobbing against another or if we're lucky we might get some bullshit power pulled out of nowhere for the climax.

So much of this feels perfunctory in the worst way possible. Why bother showing half of these fights if they're going to be this bad. Oh wait I know why!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So far the fights I think I've enjoyed most were the first fight, premiering the Build Burning, and the fight against the Destiny Gundam (mostly because that one satisfied my niche desire to see Destiny and God throw down).

I've been pretty ok with the show so far, but Gyanko's loss was a huge cop out. Her teammates went down instantly, and instead of using that loss to let her go down in a blaze of glory, they just ground her face into the dirt.

What I wanted out of this episode was something if not on par with at least akin to when Fellini and Mao lost, and I was like "Man do I want this guy to lose, even if it is to Sei and Reiji?" and when I felt for them because their dreams were dashed.

I wanted to see her go down fighting, not be impressed by how great some fucking Victory Gundam, Sleggar Law Clone and the Hyakkuman Shiki were.

EDIT: Especially since the R-GyaGya is an ingenious suit, whereas "Alt Colors Victory Gundam" and "Gundam Heaven's Sword + G-Fighter" are lame ass ideas I expect to see exploding in the background of better fights.

Jarmel

Banned
Hyakku shiki was my shit in Gundam Battle Chronicle. I wrecked people with the agility until I got Alex Gundam.

I pretty much agree completely with your complaints. Maybe the 2nd half will be better I guess. The whole show feels like a regression right now.

Mature

I think the Eureka Seven dub made me feel poorly of the show. It's something I'll give a second chance, but not for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom