• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Mini sells 262,961 in Japan

kpaadet

Nice to see Japan embrace it, it's a cool concept. Too bad it's a NES/Famicon, wake me up when Nintendo makes a mini SNES or Sony makes a mini PS1.

synce

I don't think you can compare this to a 'real' console as far as sales. It's more of a budget priced novelty

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice to see Japan embrace it, it's a cool concept. Too bad it's a NES/Famicon, wake me up when Nintendo makes a mini SNES or Sony makes a mini PS1.

Its not that Japan is "embracing" anything as this country always had a good number of retro gamers in it. So as long as it had titles that folks would be interested in, the item was sure to sell. Plus the general nostalgia factor. With how small it is too makes it easier to pick one up for the hell of it, as its not like its going to be taking up a lot of space.

Turrican3

Not a mistake.
Opportunity cost isn't there.
Hmm, not sure about this.
The only thing I can think of is avoiding people realize how inflated* the prices of VC are, but even that could arguably be a stretch given the Classic is likely meant to be an (even more) mass market-oriented product compared to your ordinary dedicated console.

* not to mention the lack of crossbuy... this is something they absolutely need to fix with Switch IMHO

Celine

Based on?
NES Classic Mini comes already bundled with Nintendo own best selling software and some of the third-parties best selling software.
Adding eshop support would increase costs on Nintendo part without giving much benefit to Nintendo, all for the sake to sell third-party games for which Nintendo only gains a small margin.
Not worth the effort.

I dunno man. Sell a 1-2GB SD card in a small NES game shell that pops in to the slot on the unit, add wifi to the base itself and sell NES games for a few bucks a piece.

I bet they could keep the price the same and forsake a little margin for the gains they would make on digital/addition accessory sales.
Why add stuff (increase in the costs and maintenance) to provide eshop support when you already have bundled your best selling games?
Nintendo better use those resources for other ventures.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats a pretty good number indeed! I also didnt realize that it was this cheap in Japan where bigger console games can cost around 7k-8k yen. 6k yen for the Famicom Mini is a pretty good price in comparision.

Thats a pretty good number indeed! I also didnt realize that it was this cheap in Japan where bigger console games can cost around 7k-8k yen. 6k yen for the Famicom Mini is a pretty good price in comparision.

and there's no built -in cost for additional controllers like the NA and European systems

Top Bottom