• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

It shows a lack of character, when people aren't willing to own up to their mistakes, and admit they were wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen someone admit they were wrong on the internet. It's all just double down, triple down, quadruple down, and finally abandon the discussion never to be heard from again.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Time to hide from people yelling doom and domination about these sales.
tumblr_lxtti52Wm91r4s8who2_r1_500.gif

As Onizuka would.

Radec

At least it outsold the PS3.

Baby steps.

And everyone else not named the PS2 and Wii.

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

If he gets a CDN ps4, X and O will probably be inverted with no way of changing it. This means that he won't be able to play some games which are coded in a way that O is both confirm and cancel. Like the new nobunaga's ambition. For many other games, he will have to deal with the extra annoyance of buttons switching roles as the game goes back and forth between the OS like when saving or loading. (example: pressing 0 to save then having to press x to confirm)

He won't be able to do certain things on the ps4 (video store, some apps) as long as he is not physically in Japan as well but I guess he could use a VPN? I haven't had much luck with those.
Thanks, will pass that along.

I don't think I've ever seen someone admit they were wrong on the internet. It's all just double down, triple down, quadruple down, and finally abandon the discussion never to be heard from again.

I'll be your first, then: I'm not sure if I actually said it anywhere, but my thinking for Japanese launch was closer to 500k, so I was clearly wrong.

I still would've liked a 500k launch, but it was obviously overly optimistic; even Sony apparently thought so, if what we've heard about their shipment numbers is correct.

IN&OUT

Banned
Only 20K higher than WiiU launch numbers for the same time period? I'm not sure why people are being so optimistic.

also ONLY 50k lower than Wii, which had the luxury of launching during a holiday season. I'm not sure why people are being pessimistic ?

see what I did there?

Only 20K higher than WiiU launch numbers for the same time period? I'm not sure why people are being so optimistic.

lol stop embarrassing yourself. Its also only 50k behind 3DS. Again anyone who thinks they can predict the PS4's future using these launch numbers should not be taken seriously, case in point to this poster.

pLow7

I can only speak for myself, but after FF-XIII I am extremely apprehensive of any future FF title.

This. I was extremely hyped for every FF Game and nearly all of them matched my high Hopes, apart from FF13.
I just can’t hype myself for FF15 just because i fear, i will be disappointed.

Tripon

lol stop embarrassing yourself. Its also only 50k behind 3DS. Again anyone who thinks they can predict the PS4's future using these launch numbers should not be taken seriously, case in point to this poster.

The launch software numbers are more telling. And man, those numbers are brutal.

Tripon

Okay. So what desperate conclusion have you reached about the PS4's future from these numbers?

Nice way of framing the question. Makes everyone who has a different perspective on this look delusional and accusatory to you.

Anyway, if you think the PS4 can weather this software drought, go right ahead in thinking that. Best case scenario is that the PS4 continues to sell decently due to high early adopter demand, and awful software rates.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But man, there's just nothing out there.

Launch numbers are pretty good, but software is what makes me think that the drop is going to be huge in the next week.

I should elaborate. I meant long term future. What you said makes sense.

Nice way of framing the question. Makes everyone who has a different perspective on this look delusional to you.

Anyway, if you think the PS4 can weather this software drought, go right ahead in thinking that. Best case scenario is that the PS4 continues to sell decently due to high early adopter demand, and awful software rates.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But man, there's just nothing out there.

All I'm saying is you must be delusional if you think you can accurately predict PS4's situation in the long term using launch attach rates.

Short term I think its pretty obvious whats going to happen to Ps4 considering the barren release schedule.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. From the horrid software sales I take it that mainly hardcore fans who wanted the console no matter what is picking it up as soon as possible (ps+ games plays a part here too of course), but that there is a severe lack of compelling software to trigger a buy for everyone else.

Okay. So what desperate conclusion have you reached about the PS4's future from these numbers?

nice leading question you're asking there
can't phrase it without bias now?

All I'm saying is you must be delusional if you think you can accurately predict PS4's situation in the long term using launch attach rates.

Short term I think its pretty obvious whats going to happen to Ps4 considering the barren release schedule.

I think most people are forecasting short term right now, i.e. the next few weeks
and that's not looking good

Tripon

nice leading question you're asking there
can't phrase it without bias now?

I think most people are forecasting short term right now, i.e. the next few weeks
and that's not looking good

Right. Long term, it'll be fine. (Or whatever the closest approximation of fine is.) The next 3-6 months? It'll be a long, hard struggle.

SaucyJack

Blu-ray movies are region locked, but luckily, Canada/America and Japan share the same Blu-ray region, so they work.

I think Canada/American DVDs are locked to a separate region than Japan though. But who cares about DVD anymore?

The majority of Blu-ray movies (70% ish) are not region locked but this varies on a studio by studio basis e.g. 20th Century Fox tend to be region encoded, WB, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Disney tend to be region free.

http://blurayregioncodes.com/

Yup. From the horrid software sales I take it that mainly hardcore fans who wanted the console no matter what is picking it up as soon as possible (ps+ games plays a part here too of course), but that there is a severe lack of compelling software to trigger a buy for everyone else.

I agree, I think sales for the console are going to fall off a cliff until more Japanese centric software comes out

Melchiah

I have, here on Gaf, and I've done so myself as well.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
And everyone else not named the PS2 and Wii.

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)
...That's not really impressive at all. Other than PS3, which sold poorly initially because of its high price, none of those systems went on to do well in Japan.

Top Bottom