• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu - 3/13

Dascu said:
It's a fucked up gen.

Edit: Rumours of Sega holding an event tomorrow?
There was actually a business meeting held by SEGA yesterday (not much news from this it seems, except a release month for Infinite Space). Perhaps that's the event the rumor was referring to ?

djtiesto said:
Cool, a PS3 game to look forward to (Atelier Rorona).. I need something new to play on that, my system is collecting dust.
joke post?
a console collects dust whether it's played or not

unless it's located in a vacuum or something

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:
It's a fucked up gen.

Edit: Rumours of Sega holding an event tomorrow?
Read it on Go Nintendo yesterday, no idea if it's true. Hope they'll finally announce Mikami's project, it was supposed to be revealed in early 2009 if I remember correctly. And the Project Ringo countdown ends tomorrow. I wonder if Ringo is in some way related to the two trademarks Sega filed, Ringwide and Ringedge.

Dascu

Stormbringer said:
There was actually a business meeting held by SEGA yesterday (not much news from this it seems, except a release month for Infinite Space). Perhaps that's the event the rumor was referring to ?
This was what I found:
According to retailers in Japan, SEGA is set to show off a good portion of their Spring lineup tomorrow. No word on what they will show off, but I’m sure there will be some surprises
Don't know the source of it though. That "tomorrow" could've been yesterday's meeting, I guess.

Edit: Ah, seems it was from Go Nintendo. Thanks for the info Wsippel.

Edit 2: The original article on gamefront said:
10.03.09 - Sega wird sein Frühjahrs-Lineup für Japan am 11.03.09 in Tokio dem Fachhandel vorstellen. Das geht aus Händlerberichten hervor. Ob auf der Veranstaltung auch Neuheiten enthüllt werden, ist unklar.
11 march, so tomorrow. Can't wait for Valkyria Chronicles on-rails for Wii. ;)

Dascu said:
This was what I found:
Don't know the source of it though. That "tomorrow" could've been yesterday's meeting, I guess.

Edit: Ah, seems it was from Go Nintendo. Thanks for the info Wsippel.

Edit 2: The original article on gamefront said:
11 march, so tomorrow. Can't wait for Valkyria Chronicles on-rails for Wii. ;)

Yep, this is the source's quote:

Sega stellt morgen Frühjahrs-Lineup für Japan vor

10.03.09 - Sega wird sein Frühjahrs-Lineup für Japan am 11.03.09 in Tokio dem Fachhandel vorstellen. Das geht aus Händlerberichten hervor. Ob auf der Veranstaltung auch Neuheiten enthüllt werden, ist unklar.

In Google English:

Sega presents tomorrow Frühjahrs lineup for Japan before

10.03.09 - Sega his spring lineup for Japan in Tokyo on 11.03.09 imagine the dealer. This is apparent from dealer reports indicate. Whether at the event also unveiled innovations, is unclear.

If Ringo was to be unveiled, it should've been in Famitsu. Though hardly any game was covered except for Dark Side Chronicles and the new Gust PS3 game. So maybe it is in the issue and no one cared to show it.

But I doubt it was in the issue, and guess we'll be "treated" to another teaser on the 12th. :/

My personal hopes for the event, if they show anything at all, would be Shining Force Gear for Wii. :)

Edit: Problem is, it's now past Midnight on the 12th in Tokyo. Where's the news?

CHR_AeON

wsippel said:
Read it on Go Nintendo yesterday, no idea if it's true. Hope they'll finally announce Mikami's project, it was supposed to be revealed in early 2009 if I remember correctly. And the Project Ringo countdown ends tomorrow. I wonder if Ringo is in some way related to the two trademarks Sega filed, Ringwide and Ringedge.

Ringwide/Ringedge are variations of Sega's new arcade hardware 'Ring'.

Durante

Kagari said:
Atelier Rorona [PS3]
Yay NISA can patch the bugs they introduce!

In all seriousness I'm very happy that Gust develops a new console title, and on PS3 to boot. Especially since it makes AT3 PS3 a (faint) possibility.

WYWY

Durante said:
Yay NISA can patch the bugs they introduce!

In all seriousness I'm very happy that Gust develops a new console title, and on PS3 to boot. Especially since it makes AT3 PS3 a (faint) possibility.
Well I'm personally more happy with the whole "return to roots" bit. I know tastes differ, but I really don't like what they have produced in recent years. AT was 'OK maybe sort-of' but the rest were 'blah'. I won't be excited if they announced another one of their generic RPG-ish game for PS3.

rykomatsu

Sage00 said:
HD JRPG announced and released in a 3 month period? That's awesome. :lol

theoretically classified as an rpg, but it's more of a crafting simulator with RPG elements...if it's like Mana Khemia or what not then it's an RPG but if they're heralding back to Atelier Marie (same catch phrase) then it wouldn't really be an RPG :p

Spiegel said:
PSP/PS2 - Evangelion Prologue (Bandai Namco)
PSP - Class of Heroes 2 (June 25)
PS3 - Atelier Rorona (June 25)
So Atelier just announced to be announced but still not properly announced will be released in 3 months.

And two more games totally-unknown-as-of-yet will be hitting in the same timeframe.

Announcements timing is just getting sick these days. Can't wait for the inevitable 'hey, we are announcing this new game today, it shipped to stores yesterday!'.

CHRP718

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So Atelier just announced to be announced but still not properly announced will be released in 3 months.

And two more games totally-unknown-as-of-yet will be hitting in the same timeframe.

Announcements timing is just getting sick these days. Can't wait for the inevitable 'hey, we are announcing this new game today, it shipped to stores yesterday!'.
squareenix-logo.gif

"wait 5 years"

rykomatsu

uhm....

was browsing Gust's forums in regards to Atelier Rorona and came across a user post with a peculiar end...tried looking on a few forums but can't confirm or deny this poster but...

Supposedly MegaTen is listed as a PS3 title in Dengeki as an actual title with a TBD date now? I know amazon.co.jp's had megaten listed as a ps3 title for ages but this isn't the first time in a while it's been in a publication is it?

http://www.salburg.com/citizen/bbs.php?type=freetalk&mode=room52279

anyone know whether this is true or not?

WYWY

rykomatsu said:
uhm....

was browsing Gust's forums in regards to Atelier Rorona and came across a user post with a peculiar end...tried looking on a few forums but can't confirm or deny this poster but...

Supposedly MegaTen is listed as a PS3 title in Dengeki as an actual title with a TBD date now? I know amazon.co.jp's had megaten listed as a ps3 title for ages but this isn't the first time in a while it's been in a publication is it?

Even if it's true, the publication date list pages aren't really reliable. Sometimes entries just appear, stay for a long time, then disappear. The last time I looked, I think some entries won't ever come to pass.

Regardless, Atelier Rorona is the best news to me to-date within this year.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rykomatsu said:
uhm....

If true, it's about time they revealed SMT4.

WYWY

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Just to add.... the 3 month thing isn't unique among the smaller Japanese studios. Less marketing costs I guess -> just concentrate on that stretch before release and maximize exposure then. Particularly in this example, it's obvious there is some collaboration with Dengeki in their marketing efforts, seeing as how Fami is left out. Like 'you help me with the exposure, I grant you exclusive coverage' kinda stuff.

gantz85

Banned
Does anyone have historical data of the sales performance of the Atelier series? Not sure how big of a series it is.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
_dementia said:
joke post?
a console collects dust whether it's played or not

unless it's located in a vacuum or something

Not a joke. Nothing has come out for the PS3 that interests me since Wipeout HD and Valkyria Chronicles.

zoku88

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Suppose that Gust announced Atelier many months ago. It's such a small series, most people would probably forget that a new game was coming out unless GUST put out some frequent updates (at least, thats my opinion, maybe not true.)

By announcing it later, they make sure less people forget about it when it releases AND do less PR work. Seems like a good idea to me. Plus, people seem to be annoyed when games are announced really far ahead of release.

zoku88 said:
Suppose that Gust announced Atelier many months ago. It's such a small series, most people would probably forget that a new game was coming out unless GUST put out some frequent updates (at least, thats my opinion, maybe not true.)

By announcing it later, they make sure less people forget about it when it releases AND do less PR work. Seems like a good idea to me. Plus, people seem to be annoyed when games are announced really far ahead of release.
Well, not going long ago, Atelier Annie released yesterday was announced in September and this one at hand looks to be bigger deal.

I don't like those announcements of games maybe coming in 2012 (hi Square-Enix), but you know, there has to be a point in between. I don't mean it for every title, when its about ports and such it doesn't make sense to try to build hype for +6 months. Anyway right now (for japanese developers), it seems you either have an announced project stuck for years in the making or you're hiding it until 3 months to release. Or they are just playing around not making games :p

zoku88

At some point, everyone is going to know what to do with famitsu links. >_<
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, not going long ago, Atelier Annie released yesterday was announced in September and this one at hand looks to be bigger deal.

I don't like those announcements of games maybe coming in 2012 (hi Square-Enix), but you know, there has to be a point in between. I don't mean it for every title, when its about ports and such it doesn't make sense to try to build hype for +6 months. Anyway right now (for japanese developers), it seems you either have an announced project stuck for years in the making or you're hiding it until 3 months to release. Or they are just playing around not making games :p
But, why does it matter that they announce it with only 3 months till release? I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like you're going to miss it.

schild

I am in the camp that no game be announced until it's 80% complete or 3 months out, whichever comes first.

It insures 2 things:

1. In game and almost final information.
2. A solid set of features and such.

For MMOGs, which are the ultimate betrayers of this particular reasoning, they get 6 months to a year because of the beta period.

Square and other companies that announce 2 years before release need to die in a goddamn car fire.

matmanx1

June release date for the new Atelier? Cool! Hopefully that's legit. I'll be watching J-Gaf with interest for impressions.

And seriously NOA, whats up with the lack of Layton on this side of the Pacific? The advertising campaign is working as I've had people in this week picking the game off the shelf and buying it. Now get busy on the rest!

Top Bottom