• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Monster Hunter 4 sells 1.875 million copies, 3DS sells 298k units in 2 days

Like it helped with MHP3rd release in West, no?

Fantastic numbers but seeing the VITA bashing in each thread related to Mon Hun has started to annoy me now.

On the topic of the sales, i expect 3DS to maintain the 100k+ sales phase until the end of this year. Definitely beast mode initiated.
Shit we got 3 ultimate on WiiU and 3DS this year.. we could definantely get this shit man.

DaBoss

Like it helped with MHP3rd release in West, no?

P3rd HD was going to come. SCEA stopped it from happening because they didn't work on an ad-hoc solution for the online since that is what MHP3rd HD used and not regular online system. It would have been the only game with that sort of thing in the west. Japan has a lot of games with this sort of thing.

casiopao

Great numbers for Capcom there.^_^ M-C number can't come sooner lol.

With this, i believe 3DS is going to go gold considering they still have lots of huge game coming here.(Pokemon, Puzzle and Dragon and Mario Party is surely going to keep the momentum.)

Not to mention, there are still tons of evergreen title there.

Akainu

Pointing out sales numbers of the direct competitor isn't trolling, as much as it hurts your fragile soul, and you'll see more and more unless Sony gets their shit together with the Vita. The same goes for Wii U owners who get their panties up in a bunch every time someone points out that sadly the system isn't exactly flying off the shelves because Nintendo has no fucking clue what to do with it.
Since when is capcom a direct competitor of sony?

massoluk

Banned
Since when is capcom a direct competitor of sony?
They are now.
Soul_Sacrifice_NA_boxart.jpg

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

edit:That was tongue in cheek if you can't tell

Awesome Numbers

Ok now lets expand Capcom

WiiU/Vita

Maybe even make a next gen game finally?

MHO doesn't count pretty as it is. What is even going on with MHO anyways? The topic even exist still?

Whoops wrong thread...

Capcom jumped to Ninty since Ninty would supposedly help Capcom push MH in the West....Tho they still won't release Frontier for PC in the West...

How so? Nintendo didn't make monster hunter. That's whats being referenced no?

You don't even need wiiu. 3ds/vita is just fine

Agreed

I just find that a WiiU version seems more realistic at this point lol

Gawd a Vita MH would be amazing. But you know.. Making money

This shit slinging between 3DS and Vita fanboys is pathetic. Do you really not see the real issue here? You have a rare opportunity to rub it in the face of all the "Nintendo needs to make iOS games" people yet you bicker among yourselves. iPhone 5S and C sales numbers are coming in mere days, don't waste what little time you have now! Haven't we raised you better? Hasn't Smokeydave taught you better?

Go to your corner, all of you, and think about what you did

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A full week with a 2 day MH boost (the 3dS didn't come out the same day as MH4 so the days before were tracked).

TBF it comes from both sides. It's virtually impossible to have a MH thread without a mention of the Vita considering the nature of the game. You'll always have somebody, we can at least try to keep it to a minimum and try to make it constructive.

I agree that both sides are guilty of this here. Pre-MH4 launch threads were about how MH4 has shit graphic and will be better if it is on another more powerful system, and post MH4 launch threads are all how it sold more than vita install base.

Then again this is a sales thread...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This shit slinging between 3DS and Vita fanboys is pathetic. Do you really not see the real issue here? You have a rare opportunity to rub it in the face of all the "Nintendo needs to make iOS games" people yet you bicker among yourselves. iPhone 5S and C sales numbers are coming in mere days, don't waste what little time you have now! Haven't we raised you better? Hasn't Smokeydave taught you better?

Go to your corner, all of you, and think about what you did

Lol there's bigger fish to fry. Though this is good for the dedicated gaming hardware industry, it's shows third party Japanese games in japan can still ridiculous amounts and that they don't need to go purely ios in order to do well.

casiopao

You guys know, it is kinda sad here when most of the comment here is about asking this game to come out for Vita rather than the game itself and discussing on whether does the new mechanic Capcom introduce to the game does well in the Japan player which causes many people to buy this game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You guys know, it is kinda sad here when most of the comment here is about asking this game to come out for Vita rather than the game itself and discussing on whether does the new mechanic Capcom introduce to the game does well in the Japan player which causes many people to buy this game.

That's because most of the people here don't actually play MH, they're just interested in it's impact on the industry.

Bulbasaur

Banned
That's some good sales!

I'd like to see a report on the cultural reasons/ differences why MH isn't nearly as popular in the West. I'm sure they've done focus groups and all that kind of thing.

I see it like, it traces back to the Godzilla etc phenomenon of yester year in Japan while in the West we just like shooting things overall.

Maybe a team based FPS with big monsters would fare better?

Akainu

Maybe because there is sort of a thread just for that?

liger05

Any thread on Gaf which mentions MH means a whole lot of port begging or hating. Its pathetic!!

test_account

XP-39C²
There is a Monster Hunter 4 OT thread for that :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672477

These threads (like the one we're posting in right now) are more sales related.

Akainu

I'd like to see a report on the cultural reasons/ differences why MH isn't nearly as popular in the West. I'm sure they've done focus groups and all that kind of thing.
Maybe it feeds into Japans whole idea of thinking of the group instead of individuals. So a game about playing in a group to achieve a goal is more valued.

*blows bubbles from pipe*

VariantX

The thread you speak of is the OT.

ohlawd

Check out this guy with his crystal ball

I will continue to show demand for the title on Vita regardless as will most other Vita owners I imagine

Itll happen some day. Just not this year for sure :p
dude no, port begging is bannable and you're a junior so that's even worse.

just a heads up.

How so? Nintendo didn't make monster hunter. That's whats being referenced no?

No, it isn't.

MH4 is a 3DS exclusive title many people expected on the Vita. The comparison shows how MH4 on 3DS sold more than Vita hardware in total, further supporting the claim that 3DS was the best choice. One can argue that MH4 on Vita would have also improved Vita HW sales (obviously) but probably not at the extent to outsell the 3DS version since it's also selling significantly worse than pre-MH PSP. This is a huge win for the 3DS and a huge loss for the Vita. People might not like it and they can create dream scenarios where if Capcom had Monster Hunter on Vita then Nintendo and Sony and yadda yadda yadda but it is what it is.

You want more direct comparisons for Japanese sales?
3DS has sold seven times the LTD of the Vita.
3DS sold this week almost a sixth of what the Vita sold LTD.
3DS has sold this week over 40x more than the Vita.
Monster Hunter 3 has outsold the top 10 of Vita Software.
Monster Hunter 4 has outsold the top 10 of Vita Software in 2 days.

The Vita is a great device for niche games but if we're talking about mass market there's little to gain for Capcom.

Check out this guy with his crystal ball

I will continue to show demand for the title on Vita regardless as will most other Vita owners I imagine

Itll happen some day. Just not this year for sure :p
Hey, don't be mad at me... l'm just sayin'. Be mad at Capcom.

ln fact, why not express your demand to them directly via email or on their Unity forums? You know... and leave us out of it.

dude no, port begging is bannable and you're a junior so that's even worse.

just a heads up.

Could we be a little less ambiguous?

I read my posts as mostly supportive of the sales (relevant) and hoping for expansion of the series (relevant)

What constitutes port begging?

Its not like I typed "booHOO why cant they put this on Vita"

I am making a conscious effort am i not?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Could we be a little less ambiguous?

I read my posts as mostly supportive of the sales (relevant) and hoping for expansion of the series (relevant)

What constitutes port begging?

Its not like I typed "booHOO why cant they put this on Vita"

I am making a conscious effort am i not?

You talk about expanding when they are actually already expanding the series (except on the vita). MH has existed in one form or another on the PS3, Wii U, 360, PC, ios.

MH frontier coming to PS3/Wii U, and MH online on the PC, MH smart/dynamic hunting etc

Akainu

You talk about expanding when they are actually already expanding the series (except on the vita). MH has existed in one form or another on the PS3, Wii U, 360, PC, ios.

MH frontier coming to PS3/Wii U, and MH online on the PC, MH smart/dynamic hunting etc
All of which are just ports. Well except the phone games. Also the licensed game is probably the only thing I'd consider expanding.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
All of which are just ports. Well except the phone games.

Isn't that what your asking for except for one specific platform (There's no way in hell Capcom's releasing a game built ground up for the Vita on the vita even if it went multiplatform).

Scoot2005

Banned
Isn't that what your asking for except for one specific platform (There's no way in hell Capcom's releasing a game built ground up for the Vita on the vita even if it went multiplatform).

Wait... What? A game built for the ground up on the Vita... Not being released on the Vita? I'm confused.

Hoping for another WiiU HD port. As much as I love the franchise, mh4 isn't compelling enough for me to buy a 3ds. Actually I think a Vita port has a chance too "MHP4"

No way?

I don't think its that big of a long shot that we will see a Vita game sometime within the next two years.

Who knows. I'm not sure we will hear anything new MH announcements for a long while since MH4 just came out. Whats the usual downtime between announcements when it comes to the Main series?

Annually?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wait... What? A game built for the ground up on the Vita... Not being released on the Vita? I'm confused.

Difference between a straight port with maybe some extra content and a game taking advantage of all of vita's capabilities, better graphics etc.

Akainu

Huh? I'm thinking more simultaneous release of Monster Hunter #. Like when they eventually make MH4th G put it on 3ds/vita cause handheld releases is where there bank seems to be. I wouldn't even except there to be any real graphical differences between the two.

Foshy

No, it isn't.

MH4 is a 3DS exclusive title many people expected on the Vita. The comparison shows how MH4 on 3DS sold more than Vita hardware in total, further supporting the claim that 3DS was the best choice. One can argue that MH4 on Vita would have also improved Vita HW sales (obviously) but probably not at the extent to outsell the 3DS version since it's also selling significantly worse than pre-MH PSP. This is a huge win for the 3DS and a huge loss for the Vita. People might not like it and they can create dream scenarios where if Capcom had Monster Hunter on Vita then Nintendo and Sony and yadda yadda yadda but it is what it is.

You want more direct comparisons for Japanese sales?
3DS has sold seven times the LTD of the Vita.
3DS sold this week almost a sixth of what the Vita sold LTD.
3DS has sold this week over 40x more than the Vita.
Monster Hunter 3 has outsold the top 10 of Vita Software.
Monster Hunter 4 has outsold the top 10 of Vita Software in 2 days.

The Vita is a great device for niche games but if we're talking about mass market there's little to gain for Capcom.

MH4 was announced exclusively for 3DS before the Vita was released. If it were announced as a Vita exclusive or even a multiplat, there would've been tons of hype going for it and I bet my ass that everything would've played out differently. Not to the point of seeing the Vita dominate, probably, but they would've been equally matched.

What I'm saying is, having Monster Hunter as an exclusive is like having GTA, FIFA and CoD as exclusives in Japan. Tough luck going against that.

Top Bottom