• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Monster Hunter 4 sells 1.875 million copies, 3DS sells 298k units in 2 days

Wynnebeck

Banned
Vita am cry

Vita LTD (Famitsu) - 1.755.885
MH4 (2 days) - 1.875.115

Goddamn.

Not just that, MC has a higher total for Vita, AND IT STILL PASSED IT!!! WOW!

Edit: MC Vita: 1.823.717

Would you believe at least one person claimed it would sell the same on Vita?

Welp. That didn't take long at all. Can we stick to talking about the game instead of the stealth trolling?

faridmon

Physical? Physical + Digital?

Welp. That didn't take long at all. Can we stick to talking about the game instead of the stealth trolling?

You are talking to Hero of legend. That's like trying to squeeze water through brick wall. Sadly people like this exist on both side of the arguments (TW101 comes to mind)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's 2 days worth of hardware sales right? Or is it only 2 days worth of MH4 sales?

A full week with a 2 day MH boost (the 3dS didn't come out the same day as MH4 so the days before were tracked).
Exactly. It's starting to become aggravating.

TBF it comes from both sides. It's virtually impossible to have a MH thread without a mention of the Vita considering the nature of the game. You'll always have somebody, we can at least try to keep it to a minimum and try to make it constructive.

amazing numbers. Sony really failed here when let capcom go with nintendo. Such a pitty imo, as nintendo dind't need it to make 3ds successful but Vita sure will miss having a huge selling IP in Japan
Sony didn't fail when it let Capcom go with Nintendo, it failed when they abandoned their portable consoles market.
The PSP was a dead body resurrected by Capcom's Monster Hunter, and then it continued to receive third party support thanks to that.
But for Capcom not being able to launch the game on DS was a huge problem.

With the 3DS being able to run games like this, and Nintendo pushing the system with tons of first party hits (AC, SM3DLand, MK7 and other reasonably popular games like FE:Awakening or LM2) and even offering themselves to localize and distribute the game overseas, this was the only logical movement.

Now put things into perspective. Let's suppose that with this game launching on Vita the Sony's console would've sold much better, even better enough to achieve those same first week sales. Even in this scenario, this would be the only ultra popular game to sustain not only the system's sales but also its own sales. Now on 3DS, you'll have Pokémon launching in 3 weeks, and this will also be a huge launch that will of course have a big impact on other 3DS games like monster hunter 4.

So in the end capcom had two options:
1. To try to save a console that even its maker had abandoned, and then pry for achieving good sales on it.
2. To launch the game on a system that is constantly supported by its maker and that has a hugely healthy software ecosystem thanks to other enormous franchises launching around it like Pokémon that will increase the long-term sales of both franchises.

I think that it's pretty obvious which was the right decision, and now we have solid facts to proof it.

hoserx

I had a dream last night that nintendo had a direct announcing MH4's launch date for the USA, and it started with a video of Toad from Mario Golf Toadstool tour saying "ARE YOU READY TO PLAYYYY?"

meppi

Now where's that guy that was saying last week that Monster Hunter 4 exclusivity for 3DS was nothing important. ;P

Malvingt2

On the flip side, yeah Capcom chose correctly. Clearly. I have no doubts that Vita would be in a better situation than it is had they gotten this game instead, but.... Im not sure it would have had the user base the 3DS has today. I'm nearly sure it wouldn't have. For a time people really thought this game wouldnt do as well, or well at all because of the difference in buyers of a Nintendo Handheld versus a Sony handheld, but these numbers just killed that idea.

MH4 to 3DS Announcement thread

Also kills the idea that it wouldnt do numbers because it wasnt a P4 (portable) named entry. Its very clear that the playerbase for the game understood the transition.

well

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel MH4 for 3DS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

lololol.. That thread was gold.

Pointing out sales numbers of the direct competitor isn't trolling, as much as it hurts your fragile soul, and you'll see more and more unless Sony gets their shit together with the Vita. The same goes for Wii U owners who get their panties up in a bunch every time someone points out that sadly the system isn't exactly flying off the shelves because Nintendo has no fucking clue what to do with it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Pointing out sales numbers of the direct competitor isn't trolling, as much as it hurts your fragile soul, and you'll see more and more unless Sony gets their shit together with the Vita. The same goes for Wii U owners who get their panties up in a bunch every time someone points out that sadly the system isn't exactly flying off the shelves because Nintendo has no fucking clue what to do with it.

Fragile soul? Lol Fuck off.This is not the first and last time people are going to compare sales. That's not the issue. The issue is bringing them up when the context neither refers or alludes to them in any way. Pointing out that the game sold more numbers than units of its competitor's hardware does nothing for the discussion at hand despite what you think son.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Fragile soul? Lol Fuck off.This is not the first and last time people are going to compare sales. That's not the issue. The issue is bringing them up when the context neither refers or alludes to them in any way. Pointing out that the game sold more numbers than units of its competitor's hardware does nothing for the discussion at hand despite what you think son.

Such things happen very rarely - of course this kind of comparison would be made - you act as if people are stating every week such fact. Opening with nearly 2 million in a week is strong and the Generation is a point where MH4 alone sold more than Vita or WiiU in total. Its a one time thing - no reason to be bitter about it.

But crying about it does. Surely.

massoluk

Banned

You're doing this schtick at every sales thread man, why are you in a sales thread?

BlackJace

I have no idea why he feels the need to bear the Vita's cross. Leave the thread's bullshit behind and let the mods sort it out.

Jarnet87

If MH4 pushed 300k 3DS systems, what is Pokemon gonna do lol. 3DS gonna sell a million systems based on 2 games in a two month period. Please understand biatches.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Such things happen very rarely - of course this kind of comparison would be made - you act as if people are stating every week such fact. Opening with nearly 2 million in a week is strong and the Generation is a point where MH4 alone sold more than Vita or WiiU in total. Its a one time thing - no reason to be bitter about it.

Why would I be bitter? I own a 3DS ffs. I just think its funny to act as if Vita owners are constantly trying to derail MH threads and the first page already had people bringing up Vita. Let's not get it twisted.

But crying about it does. Surely.

Obviously you'd see it as such.

My salt senses are tingling

Oh please, you aren't interested in any discussion, your only posts in this thread are backseat modding and calling out posters for "trolling" the Vita. I am not sure what you're even doing here.

You also don't get to decide what's relevant to the discussion. It might come to a surprise to you but neither the 3DS nor Monster Hunter 4 exist in a vacuum. But I'm sure pointing out how Nintendo has completely turned the handheld market in their favour compared to last generation is also trolling.

Sony didn't fail when it let Capcom go with Nintendo, it failed when they abandoned their portable consoles market.
The PSP was a dead body resurrected by Capcom's Monster Hunter, and then it continued to receive third party support thanks to that.
But for Capcom not being able to launch the game on DS was a huge problem.

With the 3DS being able to run games like this, and Nintendo pushing the system with tons of first party hits (AC, SM3DLand, MK7 and other reasonably popular games like FE:Awakening or LM2) and even offering themselves to localize and distribute the game overseas, this was the only logical movement.

Now put things into perspective. Let's suppose that with this game launching on Vita the Sony's console would've sold much better, even better enough to achieve those same first week sales. Even in this scenario, this would be the only ultra popular game to sustain not only the system's sales but also its own sales. Now on 3DS, you'll have Pokémon launching in 3 weeks, and this will also be a huge launch that will of course have a big impact on other 3DS games like monster hunter 4.

So in the end capcom had two options:
1. To try to save a console that even its maker had abandoned, and then pry for achieving good sales on it.
2. To launch the game on a system that is constantly supported by its maker and that has a hugely healthy software ecosystem thanks to other enormous franchises launching around it like Pokémon that will increase the long-term sales of both franchises.

I think that it's pretty obvious which was the right decision, and now we have solid facts to proof it.
Great post here.

Frodo

Comparison:

3DS Peak Holiday 2011 - 510,629
3DS Peak Holiday 2012 - 433,788
3DS Launch - 371,326
Monster Hunter 4 Release - >298,000
3DS LL Launch - 235,974
3DS Price Cut - 214,821

Oh wow!

Oh wow!

Nintendo is probably very happy. Let us see the bumps on the evergreen titles now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh wow!

Oh wow!

Nintendo is probably very happy. Let us see the bumps on the evergreen titles now.

Indeed this sole game did more for a systems short term sales than a price or a new model. You literally can't do much better than that, consider it'll likely also aid it's Christmas sales also.

Even if Nintendo didn't incentivise Capcom to keep the series as exclusive as possible before (Which I don't think they really needed to outside of the odd localising and hosting of servers) they'd definitely want to do so now and they'll have some results to show Capcom as to why.

loving these numbers, hoping this bodes well for a western release.
Like it helped with MHP3rd release in West, no?

Fantastic numbers but seeing the VITA bashing in each thread related to Mon Hun has started to annoy me now.

On the topic of the sales, i expect 3DS to maintain the 100k+ sales phase until the end of this year. Definitely beast mode initiated.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Those numbers.
sEpOWwu.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
It's for the full week.
Thanks.

well

lololol.. That thread was gold.
Maybe you already know, but that post that you quoted is just a parody on something else, its not a serious post. I think the original post was serious though, but its from when Final Fantasy 13 went multiplatform if i'm not mistaken. Its not related to Monster Hunter 4.

And they say people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.
That is mostly regarding the western market, and more focused on the home consoles. Handheld systems from Nintendo, especially in Japan, have always seen strong sales for both 1st party and 3rd party games.

Malvingt2

Thanks.

Maybe you already know, but that post that you quoted is just a parody on something else, its not a serious post. I think the original post was serious though, but its from when Final Fantasy 13 went multiplatform if i'm not mistaken. Its not related to Monster Hunter 4.

That is mostly regarding the western market, and more focused on the home consoles. Handheld systems from Nintendo, especially in Japan, have almost always had very strong sales from both 1st and 3rd party developers.

actually, I didn't know. Thanks... A lot to learn in here lol

Top Bottom