• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Monster Hunter 4 sells 1.875 million copies, 3DS sells 298k units in 2 days

apana

Makes me want to try a Monster Hunter game...

Me too. I was going to try it out on Wii until I learned that I needed a classic controller and no Gamecube controller option which made me pissed. There is no Monster Hunter for PS3 so I am out of luck there as well.

the 3ds has such a huge stranglehold on japan right now that i dont see being lifted any time soon especially with pokemon right around the corner. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if dragon quest 11 ends up being a 3ds game at this point.

Atram

the 3ds has such a huge stranglehold on japan right now that i dont see being lifted any time soon especially with pokemon coming real soon. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if dragon quest 12 ends up being a 3ds game.

Let´s start at first with Dragon Quest XI

Me too. I was going to try it out on Wii until I learned that I needed a classic controller and no Gamecube controller option which made me pissed. There is no Monster Hunter for PS3 so I am out of luck there as well.

You could import Portable3rd HD for PS3. Its in Japanese but really you just need to learn to read the symbols, and theres websites to help follow the game. Of course if your PS3 is hacked you can download an english patch for it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
That 2 day 3DS number is ridiculous. Plus the 2DS is coming... they are going to have a god-tier year in Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It will need Animal Crossing legs for that. I expect 4m tops.

MH titles are known for ridiculous legs - 5 million is quite a stretch though, 4 million already would be a great achievement. Especially when we consider MH4G might hit next holiday season for 3DS/WiiU.

That 2 day 3DS number is ridiculous. Plus the 2DS is coming... they are going to have a god-tier year in Japan.

2DS hasnt been announced for Japan so far.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
MH titles are known for ridiculous legs - 5 million is quite a stretch though, 4 million already would be a great achievement. Especially when we consider MH4G might hit next holiday season for 3DS/WiiU.

2DS hasnt been announced for Japan so far.

Wow really? Guess they don't really need it there.

qko

Alright, here's a comparison that actually makes sense! This is what people should be talking about instead of the ridiculous meaninglessness of comparing MH4 software sales to Vita LTD hardware.

Well the thing is that at the moment every single Vita owner in Japan would have to own some thing like say Soul Sacrifice. Even with that 100%attachment rate, it will never reach what Monster Hunter did in 2 days. It's mathematically impossible even if Sony decided to give away SS tomorrow as a free download to every single Vita owner in Japan even without PS+. There are more people solely playing Monster Hunter 4 than there are people playing any game on Vita's in Japan at this very moment.

Information like this can even change the tide and sway some of the makers of Monster Hunter clones to consider the 3DS as a viable platform for their software. This is currently happening with Animal Crossing clones in Japan (That Disney game, Hometown Story, Denpa Men 3, Rune Factory 4). The logic of "does it make sense to fill a void the departure of one game left on one system" is at some point going to clash with the logic of wondering if this kind of audience has left the Vita and will be more likely to buy a God Eater or Soul Sacrifice type game on the 3DS instead (of course SS will be staying on the Vita, but you know what I mean). It will be interesting to see if a company decides to put a MonHun clone on both the 3DS and Vita and see if that Monster Hunter audience wants more of those kinds of games on the 3DS or if MH3U and MH4 are simply flukes and that audience is solely entrenched on the Vita.

tzare

amazing numbers. Sony really failed here when let capcom go with nintendo. Such a pitty imo, as nintendo dind't need it to make 3ds successful but Vita sure will miss having a huge selling IP in Japan

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Crazyyyy

Too bad I'm not into MH games. I just don't get them.

They require investment to get into. They're not pick up and play games. But oh god, once you do get into MH, there's no going back. Soooo addictive.

Kvik

I imagine Yoshida-san is kicking himself in the guts after hearing the numbers. Vita needs a true system seller, but what kind of game can do still do that, I wonder?

Kvikmyndahús;82443761 said:
I imagine Yoshida-san is kicking himself in the guts after hearing the numbers. Vita needs a true system seller, but what kind of game can do still do that, I wonder?

According to GameFaqs its Soul Sacrifce 2. God Eater 2. and Phantasy Star Online Nova.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS sales exploded as I expected. SmokyDave and I had a didcussion about 3DS growth vs 2012.... and it seems very likely now 3DS will perform far better this year.

AniHawk

3DS sales exploded as I expected. SmokyDave and I had a didcussion about 3DS growth vs 2012.... and it seems very likely now 3DS will perform far better this year.

you'd have to not be paying attention to assume otherwise. this will be the best year for the 3ds. it's all downhill 2014 onward.

Cutebrute

It looks like Iwata-san may still get the last laugh.

I really hope we get a western release in 2014. At least Pokemon and LoZ: ALBW will tide me over until then.

you'd have to not be paying attention to assume otherwise. this will be the best year for the 3ds. it's all downhill 2014 onward.

It really is gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo will be able to sustain the 3DS success into 2014 and beyond. With there focus shifting to reviving the WiiU I feel theres gonna be alot more money hatting for the 3DS side of things from third parties. We are getting Bravely Default 2 and should be assuming DQXI would be coming sometime in the near future so that might help hold things up.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Absolutely phenomenal, how many franchises are there in the Megahit club, that are still going?

COD
Minecraft
Monster Hunter
Pokemon
Super Mario Land?
Halo?
Mario Kart?
Animal Crossing?
Wii fit?

Absolutely phenomenal, how many franchises are there in the Megahit club, that are still going?

COD
Minecraft
Monster Hunter
Pokemon
Super Mario Land?
Halo?
Mario Kart?
Animal Crossing?
Wii fit?

Most of the franchises you listed there far exceed MH sales. Remember MH only sells crazy in Japan but the franchises you listed are worldwide hits. In the end the LTD will be around 4-4.5 million.

Cipherr

It really is gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo will be able to sustain the 3DS success into 2014 and beyond. With there focus shifting to reviving the WiiU I feel theres gonna be alot more money hatting for the 3DS side of things from third parties. We are getting Bravely Default 2 and should be assuming DQXI would be coming sometime in the near future so that might help hold things up.

I think all the usual '1 entry' titles will just get a second entry on the 3DS.

Another 3D Mario
Another 2D Mario
Maybe a Metroid
Another Animal Crossing Entry
Another Mario Kart
Another Pokemon (this is expected though, I think they do 2 mainline Pokemons on one handheld frequently)
Smash Brothers

Then third party efforts like probably the next Dragon Quest mainline and whatnot. I think they will do just fine overall with the 3DS during its lifespan, not as good as the DS, but I expect it to handily be the best selling hardware in Japan this gen, and to do overall very very healthy numbers. Its a shame that Sony fucked up the Vita, because the death of dedicated handheld gaming has been hilariously overstated.

Orgen

Great numbers all around. Maybe 4 million is a possibility with a Best Release after all...

Vita LTD (Famitsu) - 1.755.885
MH4 (2 days) - 1.875.115

Goddamn.

Not just that, MC has a higher total for Vita, AND IT STILL PASSED IT!!! WOW!

Edit: MC Vita: 1.823.717

Off topic: IMO it's not about the presented data but the "opportunism" of your interventions. I'd bet my account on seeing if both of you appear in the first page of the September NPD thread writing about the GTA V sales and the Wii U LTD (hint: you won't)

AniHawk

Another 3D Mario
Another 2D Mario
Maybe a Metroid
Another Mario Kart
Another Pokemon (this is expected though, I think they do 2 mainline Pokemons on one handheld frequently)
Smash Brothers

Then third party efforts like probably the next Dragon Quest mainline and whatnot. I think they will do just fine overall with the 3DS during its lifespan, not as good as the DS, but I expect it to handily be the best selling hardware in Japan this gen, and to do overall very very healthy numbers. Its a shame that Sony fucked up the Vita, because the death of dedicated handheld gaming has been hilariously overstated.

we won't get anymore mario games or animal crossings or mario karts. focus will be on the wii u, and it takes a good 2-3 years to make a game anyway. we'd be looking at 2016 at the earliest for the next mario kart, for instance, and it might as well come out for the 3ds's successor at that point. animal crossing will get a wii u game, most likely.

i'm guessing the schedule from here on out is:

smash bros (obviously)
majora's mask remake (it's almost assuredly happening)
rhythm heaven (one big franchise yet to be seen on the machine)
pokemon radruby/sadsapphire
pokemon z
kirby game (he's been noticeably absent from the platform and it's already two years old)
another fire emblem (awakenings was a huge success, so it would make sense to follow up on that, or to use the same formula to revive the wars series)

Another 3D Mario
Another 2D Mario
Maybe a Metroid
Another Mario Kart
Smash Brothers

-Another 3D Mario is probably a given, a different vein than 3DLand though.
-2D Mario probably not, if so maybe late in the 3DS's life time.
-Metroid most likely, after a WiiU version though.
-Animal Crossing I doubt, that game has long ass legs and its not really a game that needs a second entry.
-Mario Kart, maybeee but I see them doing a different Kart racer next time around.
-Pokemon definitely, Ruby/Sapphire remakes incoming for sure.
-Smash Bros. same as Animal crossing, Long legs, not enough changes to justify a second entry on the same console.

I could see them tapping into their GCube era games more often now though. Sequel/Remake or otherwise.

For 2014 this is what I see so far in terms of "Big Name" titles:
Majoras Mask Remake
Ruby/Sapphire Remake(Late 2014)
Smash Bros 3DS
Advanced Wars
Bravely Default 2
Kirby Game

Theres probably gonna be more, and some of these probably wont even happen, but meh we'll see.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Off topic: IMO it's not about the presented data but the "opportunism" of your interventions. I'd bet my account on seeing if both of you appear in the first page of the September NPD thread writing about the GTA V sales and the Wii U LTD (hint: you won't)

This kind of hostility and accusations is really not needed. Do you really feel ill towards those who might simply be excited/surprised at the thought of one game surpassing the entire sales of a hardware/platform?

And it's also silly that in your eyes a person needs to do the bolded above so that their surprise at MH4 > entire Vita sales can be considered legitimate.

This kind of hostility and accusations is really not needed. Do you really feel ill towards those who might simply be excited/surprised at the thought of one game surpassing the entire sales of a hardware/platform?

And it's also silly that in your eyes a person needs to do the bolded above so that their surprise at MH4 > entire Vita sales can be considered legitimate.

Its a stupid comparison to make anyways. Who compares software sales to hardware sales of a competing platform. (hint:nobody).

Cygnus X-1

MH4 on 3DS is probably the key factor that will save Iwata's CEO seat. It was a smart move and it's paying off. If 3DS keeps being on fire for the rest of the year, maybe the 100 billion profits are not an illusion anymore.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Its a stupid comparison to make anyways. Who compares software sales to hardware sales of a competing platform. (hint:nobody).

Maybe as a direct comparison, but nonetheless it is interesting data to consider since many seem to hold the opinion that MH4 will be as successful as it is right now if it's available for Vita.

SgtCobra

Doubtful it will ever be as bright as this, but eh, who knows.
After my initial hype (and I'm still a bit hyped, but I was shocked at the time) I became realistic, this thing won't sell more than 50,000 units in it's launch week (and that's a optimistic guess)
The 3DS took over Japan, it's undeniable, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to enjoy the Vita games that are (going to be) released.

Incredible numbers nonetheless, I expected the "LOL Vita" comments but that's expected after people laughing at the Wii U.

That says more about how much I care about GTA V relative to MH though doesn't it?

Nope, must be fan-boy bullshit! Because wah!

Pokémon comes out next month.

A 3DS in every hand.

3DS LTD is now only a little but behind the Wii's in Japan.

Goddamn.

Celine

Bu bu but some gaffer said the MH craze was over and that on 3DS sales wouldn't be that great since 3G LTD is "just" 2M WW.

from the MC thread
for comparision purposes:

MHP3 in its first five days
01. / 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {01/12/10} - 1.950.717 / NEW

Hardware was 325K
Seems in line with MHP3rd for PSP (considering the availability days).
Let's see if it has the same legs.

Top Bottom