• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Monster Hunter 4 sells 1.875 million copies, 3DS sells 298k units in 2 days

Celine

2DS is not coming to Japan. I don't know if the 3DS will see another year with MH and Pokemon releasing in the same holiday.
2DS isn't announced for Japan yet and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo moves the launch to 2014.
But it's very likely to hit Japan anyway sometime down the road.

amazing numbers. Sony really failed here when let capcom go with nintendo. Such a pitty imo, as nintendo dind't need it to make 3ds successful but Vita sure will miss having a huge selling IP in Japan

Such parallel on what happened to Nintendo with Final Fantasy 7 / N64 and Playstation.

Orgen

This kind of hostility and accusations is really not needed. Do you really feel ill towards those who might simply be excited/surprised at the thought of one game surpassing the entire sales of a hardware/platform?

And it's also silly that in your eyes a person needs to do the bolded above so that their surprise at MH4 > entire Vita sales can be considered legitimate.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly (English is not my first language) and I don't want to cause any hostility but it's funny seeing how they don't make any comparisons when the Wii U games bombs and now they make this threads derailing the topic IMO.

If you're going to make this kind of comparisons make them always and not only when they favour your favorite brand. That's all, no hard feelings :)

That says more about how much I care about GTA V relative to MH though doesn't it?

Nope, must be fan-boy bullshit! Because wah!

No, that says more about how selective you can be ;) I didn't say it was fanboy bullshit but if you're going to make this kind of comparisons make them always :p

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone has the 2nd week numbers for MHP3 in hand? Thanks in advance!

No, that says more about how selective you can be ;) I didn't say it was fanboy bullshit but if you're going to make this kind of comparisons make them always :p

Thank you for your opinion and feedback. I'll continue doing what I'm doing, but it is appreciated.

FLAguy954

On the flip side, yeah Capcom chose correctly. Clearly. I have no doubts that Vita would be in a better situation than it is had they gotten this game instead, but.... Im not sure it would have had the user base the 3DS has today. I'm nearly sure it wouldn't have. For a time people really thought this game wouldnt do as well, or well at all because of the difference in buyers of a Nintendo Handheld versus a Sony handheld, but these numbers just killed that idea.

MH4 to 3DS Announcement thread

Also kills the idea that it wouldnt do numbers because it wasnt a P4 (portable) named entry. Its very clear that the playerbase for the game understood the transition.

Lmao at that thread, just check out this post:
Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel MH4 for 3DS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

2DS is not coming to Japan. I don't know if the 3DS will see another year with MH and Pokemon releasing in the same holiday.

Holiday 2015: Pokémon Z, Monster Hunter 4G, Dragon Quest XI

but yeah, this is an exceptionally good holiday softwarewise for the 3DS and it'll be hard to arrange another one of this calibre.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
basically, it debuted slighlty lower than MHP3 but with just 2 days tracked and with digital sales not included?
So, with digital sales could be nearer to MHP3 debut even if it was tracked for less days?
Seems a great result, doesn't it?

basically, it debuted slighlty lower than MHP3 but with just 2 days tracked and with digital sales not included?
So, with digital sales could be nearer to MHP3 debut even if it was tracked for less days?
Seems a great result, doesn't it?

Also not nearly as close to the holiday season, smaller install base and without as many previous Monster Hunter games on the system.
Of course, in the end both were supply constraint, so it's difficult to draw any real conclusions, but this debut is about as good as one could have hoped for.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Also not nearly as close to the holiday season, smaller install base and without as many previous Monster Hunter games on the system.
Of course, in the end both were supply constraint, so it's difficult to draw any real conclusions, but this debut is about as good as one could have hoped for.

Thank you for completing the "picture"
I don't remember if Famitsu includes the download card and MC not or viceversa, so I don't know if the MC number will be lower or higher ;p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MC does not include them.

Ok, so MC numbers will be lower
thank you again :)

Yeah, calm down, people.
WiiU sales are depressing enough.
Let them have some fun with good 3DS sales.

watch+_c6bb432d3483d07d63ec122d58c1b6d8.png

Ratrat

This is pretty comparable to MHP3s launch huh?

3ds install base a bit lower than Psp at the time, moves slightly less hardware and software. I would really like to see MH4G pull Pokemon numbers once 3ds is passed 20 million.

Celine

To be fair, it's worth bearing in mind that the knowledge that Monster Hunter wasn't on Vita absolutely had a negative effect on Vita's sales.
Yeah, but Vita is doing really badly.
Much worse than PSP before the MHP phenomenon (less than half ...).

sajj316

It's nearly impossible to have one Monster Hunter sales thread without bringing up a comparison to the Vita. It's obvious, MH4 sold more on the 3DS than it would have on the Vita. The real story here is reinforcing the statement that good software will sell hardware. A lesson that Sony should never forget.

Nerokis

we won't get anymore mario games or animal crossings or mario karts. focus will be on the wii u, and it takes a good 2-3 years to make a game anyway. we'd be looking at 2016 at the earliest for the next mario kart, for instance, and it might as well come out for the 3ds's successor at that point. animal crossing will get a wii u game, most likely.

i'm guessing the schedule from here on out is:

smash bros (obviously)
majora's mask remake (it's almost assuredly happening)
rhythm heaven (one big franchise yet to be seen on the machine)
pokemon radruby/sadsapphire
pokemon z
kirby game (he's been noticeably absent from the platform and it's already two years old)
another fire emblem (awakenings was a huge success, so it would make sense to follow up on that, or to use the same formula to revive the wars series)

I'm already salivating over 2014. Aonuma more or less confirmed a MM remake with his revealing non-laughter (confession: I got ridiculously close years ago, but I've never actually beaten MM...), Bravely Default is finally coming, Super Smash Bros., Pokemon Z/X2/Y2...and all the other possibilities...

2013 will go down as a ridiculously awesome year for the 3DS, with MH4's release as one of the highest points. But my god, 2014's hype cycle has yet to even really begin, and it's already looking good.

On the flip side, yeah Capcom chose correctly. Clearly. I have no doubts that Vita would be in a better situation than it is had they gotten this game instead, but.... Im not sure it would have had the user base the 3DS has today. I'm nearly sure it wouldn't have. For a time people really thought this game wouldnt do as well, or well at all because of the difference in buyers of a Nintendo Handheld versus a Sony handheld, but these numbers just killed that idea.

MH4 to 3DS Announcement thread

Also kills the idea that it wouldnt do numbers because it wasnt a P4 (portable) named entry. Its very clear that the playerbase for the game understood the transition.

StarTrek-DejaQ.gif

memories :)

cvxfreak

Amazing numbers, and certainly a more impressive launch than MHP3 considering:

1. Smaller user base at time of launch
2. Launching outside of the holiday period
3. MH3G having smaller sales than MHP2G, thus having less of a user base to build upon
4. Shorter time period

Whether it can hold the way MHP3 did in the coming weeks remains to be seen, but 4 million is not out of the question.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im one of those users who added to the numbers for new 3dses sold. So are a bunch of other guys in the MH4 thread lol.

Not surprising to see numbers for hardware also follow this game, considering how much has been changed to it with the series in terms of map design, some actions and 2 new weapons there is no way in hell previous fans of the series could resist any longer.

Kouriozan

Amazing numbers, and certainly a more impressive launch than MHP3 considering:

1. Smaller user base at time of launch
2. Launching outside of the holiday period
3. MH3G having smaller sales than MHP2G, thus having less of a user base to build upon
4. Shorter time period

Whether it can hold the way MHP3 did in the coming weeks remains to be seen, but 4 million is not out of the question.
True, also MH3G did have good legs so I would expect this one to have nice one too.
Now we can all hope to see a 2014 release in the west!

Top Bottom