• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Announced (Disney/Harmonix, 360/XBO, Kinect, 2014)

parasight

Sounds kind of like Child of Eden. My faith is in Harmonix to deliver something good, they have yet to disappoint me (I'm not counting Green Day Rock Band).

Steroyd

Not really. Disney is a huge company.

A few years back they tried to jazz up some dance shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhFWU03BTQ
It had rapping to the Pirates song. People lambasted it and it was cut quickly.

Compare it to THESE shows which debuted in the last few months:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaGlk6h7g0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zvdRzLYuU

This is a big confusing mess, but there are still some parts of the company that know what they are doing.

Heh looks like I'll need to get my head out of the Disney Channel.

It's all Highschool Musical's fault. :mad:

AlexBasch

I'm a huge Harmonix fan but...

What?

KhnM72n.png

Seems reasonable.
Pffthahahah.

Fantasia has always been about combining the artistry of animation and music, so it'll be interesting to see how Harmonix does with the more contemporary take on Fantasia. I'm excited about it, and it might actually.....force my hand into getting a Kinect...

I'm getting a huge "Beatles: Rock Band" vibe from this (where they tried and, IMO succeeded mostly, in doing similar Fantasia-esque things with Beatles songs, specifically in the dreamscapes).

Now..I'm gonna go watch Fantasia 2000 again.

EDIT: Saw a post above talking about the dream of Fantasia as Walt envisioned it -- I can't believe I forgot about that until just now! This could, perhaps, work to re-create that dream. The idea of an easily-modifiable animated piece was so pie in the sky in 1940, but today could easily be done via DLC or what not in another artistic expression medium - gaming!

Some people at Disney had since they cancelled "Fantasia III" in 2006 and "Fantasia 2000" wasn't that hot... game will still probably sell like crazy. I'm also glad MS is not publishing it.

What? Fantasia 2000 was awesome. And whats this about a cancelled Fantasia 3? News to me.

Laughing so hard right now.

What the fuck is this :lol

I was was asking myself the same question. All these fucking "journalists" on twitter saying its awesome, so I watch the video. I was like this is the dumbest shit I have ever seen. I don't want to wave my arms around my living room throwing invisible fireballs to Bruno Mars.

Gildor

I'll probably be getting an XBO with Kinect because my daughter would love stuff like this. I'm a very casual gamer nowadays anyhow.

From the teaser yesterday and the images in the OP, I was kinda excited for the game. Then I saw the trailer. The fuck? You take a property whose main focus is music, and you strip out the music that was so crucial in it's stories and add Bruno Mars?

Goddamnit, Harmonix.

So the screens have nothing to do with the trailer and trailer have nothing to do with the screens, and the name Disney or Fantasia have nothing to do with Bruno Mars. What the hell is happening here?

starmud

unless theres some environments you can manipulate/play with that feel fantasia like... why?

this is a very loose idea of "fantasia", basically, i can move my hands to the music = fantasia. will the game be sandboxish and let you direct the environment, or a guided tour?

i don't even get the allure to casual gamers. its packaging a rez/eden type experience in a marketable experience; yet how accessible is a game like that to most?... the enjoy factor in that is even debatable on here.

their also naming it after something that many casual viewers or even average disney goers wouldn't list as a favorite or even well known. this game dosent seem like fan service to attract the faithful either... it seems like an odd angle to go after.

honestly, how many people do you know outside of disney fanatics or animation nerds who love fantasia? most know it as a show at disneyland or a movie with mickey mouse.

if disney is slapping their name on something, i want disney.

hype can only go up from here.

etrain911

Wasn't RB Blitz basically a spiritual successor though?

And Rockband Unplugged/The Rockband games on the DS before that...

Also, I'm kind of surprised they picked this trailer to show off the game. To mirror what others are saying if they took the Disney logo out and didn't tell you the title of the new game, you'd have no clue that the two had any relation. Also, Bruno Mars is god awful, I wish they'd throw some Disney Songs in there. I've always wanted to be Sebastian directing all the fish in "Under the Sea"...although that's not related at all to Fantasia.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sounds kind of like Child of Eden. My faith is in Harmonix to deliver something good, they have yet to disappoint me (I'm not counting Green Day Rock Band).

Yeah, I loved CoE with Kinect so if this is similar I'll be happy. The new improved Kinect should make things more precise as well.

sn00zer

Honestly...this could be fucking amazing...considering the reverence and heart they put into Beatles Rock Band, I could see this being very, very cool

I was excited until I saw the trailer.
What a fucking piece of shit.

Could have been one of those harmonix dance games and it would be exactly the same.

Music taken from a disco... are they fucking nuts? Walt Disney must be turning around on his grave, or in his urn, as he was incinerated.

So far only five songs are confirmed: Avicii's "Levels", Bruno Mars' "Locked out of Heaven", Fun's "Some Nights", Kimbra's "Settle Down", and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Not exactly the type of music that brings back memories of possessed broomsticks and baby Pegasus'. When asked why the heavy slant on contemporary songs, Sussman asserts that, "People think about [Fantasia] as a classical music based film, but that's because classical was largely the contemporary music of the 1940s. Rock wouldn't be invented for another 10 years, and while there was other contemporary stuff like jazz, which did make into the film, it was largely what was contemporary of the time."

FUCKING LIES. Wtf is the guy smoking. And Gerswhin is not simple jazz, its combined with classical, that why it appeared in the movie.
Also, you want to do a Fantasia game with "new" music? Get real jazz and big band of the 1940's, not fucking contemporay music, that would be a very similar approach to making only classical in the original Fantasia.
The only thing that would really work that has appeared in the trailer is Queen, because they were very influenced by classical music.

Yep. I really think if Fantasia hadn't been a maddening flop in its original version and Fantasia 2000 hadn't been a labor of love and nothing more than that at the box office in order for the Fantasia line to have evolved as originally intended all these years, our idea of what Fantasia is would be wildly different today. (In fact, I consider some of the Disney park presentations such as Fantasmic and World of Color to be very much in keeping with what Walt thought "Fantasia" as a concept would be, and those shows are very modernized.) It's not the Fantasia I want, but I don't see it being the bastardization that some are accusing it of being.

Again, labor of love. Fantasia 2000 was an attempt to do something to honor Walt's vision even though realistically the company could not afford to do what it originally was envisioned as. It was one film instead of a series, years after the death of the dream, and they styled it in a way that made sense at the time to cohesively stick to what people consider "Fantasia" to be. And Fantasia 2000 also had pop figures of the day (watch it now, it holds up but it's a little weirder every year to have famous faces from the '90s like Bette Midler, Penn & Teller and James Earl Jones introducing clips,) so Disney wasn't above pandering to try and connect with young and hip audiences even before we became too jaded for classical.

Look, it's a Youtube clip for a game that's gotta sell to the shitty kids we're raising this generation, that's not to say that classical music won't be in in some form (in fact, it's confirmed that classical will be a factor.) It's entirely possible that when us old fogeys outside the 18-24 demographic will find a mode or course though the game that's entirely to our liking (once we've put down the salad and turned off Pearl Jam on the hi-fi, of course.)

But I totally agree, it's swung way too far for the generic and inspires little of the wonder that I want from a modern take on Fantasia. And the screenshots (which show little of the avant-garde experimentation of Child of Eden, much less the iconic style of what we know to be Fantasia) are doing even more damage than the trailers. So I'm giving them some rope since the guys at Harmonix seem like they really care about music and would have enough F-U money to not take on a Fantasia project if it didn't honor Walt, but my expectations are low at this point.

Yeah... no, thats like talking about EPCOT if Walt hadnt died, we dont really know would have happen, maybe the rest of the future Fantasias if the first hadnt been a flop would have still been classical music, becuase theres a HUGE quantity of classical stuff to make lots of Fantasia movies, we really dont know, so thats only an hypothesis.

And you say this is only a trailer, but we already have PR trying to say the excuse of Fantasia 2000 using "jazz", that classical was contemporary music in the 1940's (LOL), and that the concept evolves and that bla bla bla PR for modern music only.
The most classic thing they have said is Queen. In fact, im pretty sure people wouldnt have criticised the game if it was composed of classical music and things like Queen, not fucking Bruno Mars.

And the worst thing of all, you can call this game Dance Central 4 and it would have worked the same, it has little to do with Fantasia, even if Yen Sid appears on some stupid menu.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Wow, make a fantasia game with no Fantasia music or imagery. Look at how this thread went from excited to disappointed once that trailer was released. It was so easy and yet you messed it up. Kinect isn't the issue. The issue is that you felt you needed to include modern music that is nothing of that of the original Fantasia. Fantasia shouldn't have talking or singing in it; it's point of attraction was the eloquence between the music and what was goin on screen. Don't even get me started on the Dubstep.

Sometimes, I feel like developers/publishers assume they have to incorporate mass marketable things so they could be successful, but I truly believe a game that focused solely on Fantasia with you as a composer could've been awesome. No risks nowadays, a bunch of pussies.

No respect for the masterpiece.

CamHostage

And you say this is only a trailer, but we already have PR trying to say the excuse of Fantasia 2000 using "jazz", that classical was contemporary music in the 1940's (LOL), and that the concept evolves and that bla bla bla PR for modern music only.
The most classic thing they have said is Queen. In fact, im pretty sure people wouldnt have criticised the game if it was composed of classical music and things like Queen, not fucking Bruno Mars.

Apologies, I haven't seen the press release, I thought it was all game coverage so I'll have to track that down. (EDIT - here's the Fantasia game official site)

But I was going off of this report when I said that classical music would be a component of Fantasia: Music Evolved:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-plans-fantasia-game-xbox-562075
Disney didn’t disclose the financial arrangements it has with the artists. In a nod to the original Fantasia, which features music by Bach, Tchaikovsky and more, some classical music will also make an appearance.

Again, I don't have much confidence that this game will live up to what most envision Fantasia as being, but it seems like it may be a component somewhere in the structure.

Apologies, I haven't seen the press release, I thought it was all game coverage so I'll have to track that down. (EDIT - here's the Fantasia game official site)

But I was going off of this report when I said that classical music would be a component of Fantasia: Music Evolved:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-plans-fantasia-game-xbox-562075

Again, I don't have much confidence that this game will live up to what most envision Fantasia as being, but it seems like it may be a component somewhere in the structure.

Seems like two different PR's talking at the same time. lol
Still I suppose there will be disco remixes of those tracks and not original versions.
Its sad that they stacked the name of Fantasia to Dance Central 4 and call it a day.

I was sort of expecting a Harmonix rhythm game with classic Disney songs and also having the Fantasia stuff like Night on Bald Mountain.

...This is certainly not that.

Amir0x

Banned
oh Kinect? Interest averted, thanks for saving me money Harmonix. Ya'll been cool like that the past few titles you released.

Top Bottom