• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Announced (Disney/Harmonix, 360/XBO, Kinect, 2014)

KhnM72n.png

Seems reasonable.

Oppo

Wow. Dave is even saltier than usual while banned.

Harmonix PR definitely earning their cheque today.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not feelin it. It being a Kinect game is already a turnoff for me since I game in a smaller environment and haven't bought a Kinect since it won't work well in those conditions. Secondly, the music choice and art style look absolutely nothing like the gorgeous and varied styles and moods from the Fantasia movies. I watched the first one on VHS as a kid so much that the tape wore out, I saw Fantasia 2000 in IMAX as soon as it came out. Walt's dream of combining music and visualizing it via animation, turning it into a road show of sorts and expanding both mediums really left an impression on me and was a huge part of my growing up.

Nothing I've seen from this is giving me that excited vibe I used to get. I don't feel passion or respect for the arts from the scenes. I think i'm out on this one, sorry Harmonix. Hope you guys still have some of the kickbacks from the 800 DLC songs I bought on Rock Band though.

Scanna

I'll wait before judging...I actually love Fantasia and if in some way this game could capture some of its magic, it'll be worth it :)
I actually don't get most of the complaints...Kinect is here to stay, this seems like the most intelligent way of developing games for it...seriously, what did you want from it? Except for to not exist, which is a dumb response

Ridley327

I'll wait before judging...I actually love Fantasia and if in some way this game could capture some of its magic, it'll be worth it :)
I actually don't get most of the complaints...Kinect is here to stay, this seems like the most intelligent way of developing games for it...seriously, what did you want from it? Except for to no exist, which is a dumb response

The complaints really aren't centered on the Kinect aspect of it at all.

The heavy focus on contemporary pop music is still a legitimate area for criticism, but nonetheless, it seems that people are focusing more on the (admittedly terrible) gameplay-free trailer and less on the actual content of the game, which sounds much more interesting based on hands-on previews. Granted, that's largely Disney PR's fault for making that trailer and not allowing gameplay footage to be released, but I do imagine that sentiment towards this project will get significantly more positive as more of it is shown.

Scanna

The heavy focus on contemporary pop music is still a legitimate area for criticism, but nonetheless, it seems that people are focusing more on the (admittedly terrible) gameplay-free trailer and less on the actual content of the game, which sounds much more interesting based on hands-on previews. Granted, that's largely Disney PR's fault for making that trailer and not allowing gameplay footage to be released, but I do imagine that sentiment towards this project will get significantly more positive as more of it is shown.
I hope so

Clov

I would have been really excited about this if it had the original, classical soundtrack, but it seems as though I'm just not their target audience... :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's.. Not what I was expecting from the game title. This is weird and kinda selling two different things to me ATM.

I hope you're not one of the people who cheers Kamiya's responses to people.
It's different when someone does that after a controversial reveal. Kamiya comes off as arrogant and sarcastic, this other guy comes off as a dick.

Best response would be no response.

iavi

That's.. Not what I was expecting from the game title. This is weird and kinda selling two different things to me ATM.

This is exactly what I felt--no fantasia at all. Felt like another Dance Central, but with Disney slapped on for marketing purposes. Hope I'm wrong, but the hype's been deflated a good bit.

---

I'm surprised MS didn't hold this for the Conference. With them letting stuff like this go out beforehand, I think we may have the 'core'ist E3 conference we've had from them in years.

antibolo

Banned
This has the potential to be the greatest Kinect game ever.

But it also has about equal chance of ending up being a massive pile of failure and disappointment.

GamerJM

Banned

Goddammit Harmonix. I might still buy the 360 version of this anyways because I love you guys and Fantasia is pretty dope, but will we ever get something not Kinect from these guys again? Like Frequency 3/Amplitude 2 now that you're done with RB?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
A Kinect based Fantastia music game is an amazing idea, and it has a good developer behind it. What could go wrong?

Then I watch the trailer and read what it's about. What the hell? :(

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Goddammit Harmonix. I might still buy the 360 version of this anyways because I love you guys and Fantasia is pretty dope, but will we ever get something not Kinect from these guys again? Like Frequency 3/Amplitude 2 now that you're done with RB?
Wasn't RB Blitz basically a spiritual successor though?

"Based on Walt Disney's Masterpiece..."

video shows absolutely zero relation to Walt Disney's Masterpiece

Have these people even seen the Fantasia movies?

LTWheels

I think Jeff from giant bomb has already seen the game. Their website says that they are going to talk about it on their podcast today.

Here's a classic case of a trailer that only makes sense if you've seen the actual game in question. Listen to this week's podcast to find out how dubstep remixes of Bruno Mars might work in a proper video game.

Vire

The screenshots don't exactly scream Fantasia.

But the idea is interesting, I'll give it a shot...

As far as I'm concerned if you release a dumbass trailer like that (especially one that only gamers are going to take a look at) you deserve heavy scrutiny.

DaBuddaDa

Here's a classic case of a trailer that only makes sense if you've seen the actual game in question. Listen to this week's podcast to find out how dubstep remixes of Bruno Mars might work in a proper video game.

Then what the hell is the point in putting out a trailer if you know it's bad and doesn't make sense?

Rumors of a Fantasia game spring up.
People imagine the classic music, the classic scenes, Mickey Mouse, dancing hippos, centaurs, Chernabog.
Kinect-based? Harmonix?
Ok... maybe some kind of ballet stuff.

Nope.
Dubstep, house music. Because when I THINK of Fantasia, I imagine rubbing my hands over a floating turtle to dubstep and a classical remix of Bohemian Rhapsody.

No classic scenes. No classic characters. Only the wizard dude.

Is there the classic music? Uhm, MAYBE.

What a poor fucking game. What a terrible reveal. There's nothing redeeming about this EXCEPT maybe the art might be good, but you have to suffer through gameplay to get there.

Why the fuck even CALL it Fantasia?

Fantasia is based on ballet & orchestral music. Don't understand the Bruno Mars attached to Disney presenting visuals to classical music.

Rhapsody in Blue or no buy.

GamerJM

Banned
Wasn't RB Blitz basically a spiritual successor though?

Retail.

The point that I was trying to get across is that I just want non-Kinect major projects again. I sunk a ton of time into the RB games and Unplugged and Blitz were great too, I thought Harmonix could at least continue making bigger games in the style of those. To be fair that probably wouldn't sell as well though, and they do need to stay afloat as a company. Oh well, at least there's still a ton of Rock Band DLC I haven't downloaded yet.....for now.....

Vire

Rumors of a Fantasia game spring up.
People imagine the classic music, the classic scenes, Mickey Mouse, dancing hippos, centaurs, Chernabog.
Kinect-based? Harmonix?
Ok... maybe some kind of ballet stuff.

Nope.
Dubstep, house music. Because when I THINK of Fantasia, I imagine rubbing my hands over a floating turtle to dubstep and a classical remix of Bohemian Rhapsody.

No classic scenes. No classic characters. Only the wizard dude.

Is there the classic music? Uhm, MAYBE.

What a poor fucking game. What a terrible reveal. There's nothing redeeming about this EXCEPT maybe the art might be good, but you have to suffer through gameplay to get there.

Why the fuck even CALL it Fantasia?

Exactly, doesn't seem to exploit the Disney license at all, which is really strange.

I hope so

Well, I'm not expecting the game to win everyone over. The name Fantasia conjures up expectations of classical music and classic Disney cartoon stylings, and a lot of people, not unreasonably, won't be able to get past the game not matching those expectations.

Then what the hell is the point in putting out a trailer if you know it's bad and doesn't make sense?

Harmonix isn't the publisher, so it almost certainly wasn't their call. For some reason, Disney's marketing team thought that an abstract live-action trailer pushing it as a HIP COOL MUSIC GAME WITH YOUR FAVORITE TOP 40 HITS would make a better first impression.

CloudWolf

I think the reception to this reveal would've been more positive if it wasn't called Fantasia... or maybe people had just found different stuff to complain about (KINECT?! WORST GAME EVER).

Exactly, doesn't seem to exploit the Disney license at all, which is really strange.

And what's more bizarre is that it isn't even REMIXES of the songs. It's just straight up songs that you hear on the radio. It might as well be called Radio Disney Dance Central

The Bruno Mars song in the trailer is a remix. That's not the version you'd hear on the radio.

A remix of Fantasia music.

... I don't know what I was expecting, that trailer pretty much sums up modern day Disney. :(

Not really. Disney is a huge company.

A few years back they tried to jazz up some dance shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhFWU03BTQ
It had rapping to the Pirates song. People lambasted it and it was cut quickly.

Compare it to THESE shows which debuted in the last few months:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaGlk6h7g0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zvdRzLYuU

This is a big confusing mess, but there are still some parts of the company that know what they are doing.

ciridesu

I was just randomly reading everyone whining about the trailer thinking it can't possibly be that bad. Then I watched it. Damn.

Don't really know who this game is catering to as per that trailer; i.e. looks like a poor man's dance game. There's probably more to come though, but :lol

edit: But yeah, this seems to suffer from lack of focus and specific target group. Fantasia fans? Sorry no Fantasia. Dance game fans? Dance games are likely superior. Will see though.

CloudWolf

A remix of Fantasia music.

Well yeah, okay. I would've loved to see stuff like Night on Bald Mountain in this game instead of pop music. Still, Harmonix have yet to release a bad game, so I fully trust that they know what they're doing. Not sure if I'll actually buy it though, I guess that depends on whether I will get the Xbone or not.

Well yeah, okay. I would've loved to see stuff like Night on Bald Mountain in this game instead of pop music. Still, Harmonix have yet to release a bad game, so I fully trust that they know what they're doing. Not sure if I'll actually buy it though, I guess that depends on whether I will get the Xbone or not.

Oh yeah, EyeToy: AntiGrav was amazing.

CamHostage

The way they were talking about the fusion of music between Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody in that it will diverge into different covers of it including an orchestral version as you mess around seems to fit into a bit more modern visual art. The fusion of modern pop and classical seems like it would fit a Disney vision of playing with music from modern to historic and "Evolving" music. And at the time Fantasia was originally conceived, "Classical" music was still rather popular on the radio as well. So those decrying the use of pop songs are a bit off base since Walt was actually using fairly popular music at the time too. So I'm somewhat understanding the direction, and it could be a really neat little concept to play with in "Evolving" music from the past to the present and back again by using your hands to compose it.

Yep. I really think if Fantasia hadn't been a maddening flop in its original version and Fantasia 2000 hadn't been a labor of love and nothing more than that at the box office in order for the Fantasia line to have evolved as originally intended all these years, our idea of what Fantasia is would be wildly different today. (In fact, I consider some of the Disney park presentations such as Fantasmic and World of Color to be very much in keeping with what Walt thought "Fantasia" as a concept would be, and those shows are very modernized.) It's not the Fantasia I want, but I don't see it being the bastardization that some are accusing it of being.

Fantasia 2000 begs to differ. It did add jazz, but there was no "contemporary" music in it.

Again, labor of love. Fantasia 2000 was an attempt to do something to honor Walt's vision even though realistically the company could not afford to do what it originally was envisioned as. It was one film instead of a series, years after the death of the dream, and they styled it in a way that made sense at the time to cohesively stick to what people consider "Fantasia" to be. And Fantasia 2000 also had pop figures of the day (watch it now, it holds up but it's a little weirder every year to have famous faces from the '90s like Bette Midler, Penn & Teller and James Earl Jones introducing clips,) so Disney wasn't above pandering to try and connect with young and hip audiences even before we became too jaded for classical.

I would have been really excited about this if it had the original, classical soundtrack, but it seems as though I'm just not their target audience... :(

Look, it's a Youtube clip for a game that's gotta sell to the shitty kids we're raising this generation, that's not to say that classical music won't be in in some form (in fact, it's confirmed that classical will be a factor.) It's entirely possible that when us old fogeys outside the 18-24 demographic will find a mode or course though the game that's entirely to our liking (once we've put down the salad and turned off Pearl Jam on the hi-fi, of course.)

But I totally agree, it's swung way too far for the generic and inspires little of the wonder that I want from a modern take on Fantasia. And the screenshots (which show little of the avant-garde experimentation of Child of Eden, much less the iconic style of what we know to be Fantasia) are doing even more damage than the trailers. So I'm giving them some rope since the guys at Harmonix seem like they really care about music and would have enough F-U money to not take on a Fantasia project if it didn't honor Walt, but my expectations are low at this point.

Top Bottom