• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Announced (Disney/Harmonix, 360/XBO, Kinect, 2014)

Cartman86

Banned
Hmm I'm all for a modern take on Fantasia. Fantasia is simply an animated artistic concert film. So you could do all sorts of stuff with it, but this doesn't seem like that. That trailer though is very not game like so who knows yet. If it'd fun though then who cares? Maybe Disney just sees Fantasia as "innovative music" thing.

E3 hasn't even started yet and we already have Gif material

ah0B6gb.gif

Linkified

I doubt they will have 15 self-made games. I can easily see this as being one of the 15. It's not only for the Xbox One, but it won't come to the PS4 either.

Gears of War isn't made my MS but it is still published under the MS Game Studios banner, this game is being published by Disney Interactive.

Ivan 3414

This is a Fantasia game only in that you can make magical blasts come from your hands. I get that. Really, though, don't expect too much Mickey Mouse in this game. I guess they'll have a Fantasia themed level and that's it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seriously, guys, what's wrong with this game isn't Kinect. Heck, in theory letting the player being the director of the orchestra, the maker of the sound seems like a good fit for the Fantasia franchise. But...but...what does this have with Fantasia? Where are my classic music themes? The oniric atmospheres...AND WHY THE HELL FUN AND BRUNO MARS ARE IN THIS?!? WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH FANTASIA ARGH ;_;

- Bohemian Rhapsody is one of them, has three different versions: original, orchestral, and 80's heavy metal ballad

Well, I'm kinda curious now. I'm not worried because some HMX employees are also part-time musicians (and had bonus songs in GH1/2), and they should know how to make justice covering Queen.

Daedardus

Seriously, guys, what's wrong with this game isn't Kinect. Heck, in theory letting the player being the director of the orchestra, the maker of the sound seems like a good fit for the Fantasia franchise. But...but...what does this have with Fantasia? Where are my classic music themes? The oniric atmospheres...AND WHY THE HELL FUN AND BRUNO MARS ARE IN THIS?!? WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH FANTASIA ARGH ;_;

It's part of their expanded audience move. They want to get all the people on board who watched the actual fantasia when they were young. Basically all people aged 80 and above.

I am so sending Chernabog to mess up Harmonix...

tumblr_m2ynrsvLmP1rof1tlo1_500.gif

Some of you guys haven't fucking watched Fantasia I take it.

I'd be shocked if they didn't have a few of the Classic songs and pieces in there, honestly. Seems like they are using some of those songs to help sell the game to a mainstream audience.

I like the concept, not too fond of the music but I'm reserving judgement till I see it in action properly.

Not a big Disney fan but I LOVE Fantasia and I have a lot of respect for Harmonix.
Unfortunately this trailer is just uncredibly unappealing to me.

This is just a teaser so the final game will hopefully be much better but I won't be able to play this until they port it to PS3 or Wii U. I own a 360 but Kinect just doesn't work in my apartment...

Well, I can't be buying an Xbox One for just one game. So I guess I'll just have to skip it already. Looks cool but a bit ugly right now.

This is really Make Mine Music: Music Evolved - as the that package film covered Disney's adventures into more modern music but hey - may as well just mess with the legacy of fantasa some more right.

When I heard it, I had images of my mind of messing with the harp and lute style lines in Tocatta and Fugue, playing with the shy goldfish and the dancing thistles - and getting to fight the mighty chernabog with the power of Ave Maria.

But no, we make a vague concept out of the one part of fantasia everyone knows about and chuck the rest out.

Looks like a natural evolution of Dance Central (mixed with Child of Eden) too me, could be cool. I'd like to see more about the "Create" portion of the game, if they can do something compelling there, they could have a winner.

Dabanton

OMG I love Fantasita ;_;

Haters everywhere by the look of things. It's okay, maybe this will be a PSKinEyect game somewhere along the line.

Oh my goodness... You people contesting those 15 Exclusives.

Stop spreading stuff you don't know about. It hasn't been said one way or the other, whether it's Microsoft Published, or their IP.

They said exclusives. And they'd be stupid for not counting this as an exclusive. Because it is exclusive, and it is a big deal.

Palm

Banned
So this is the summery of the reactions:

- NeoGAFers hate games that are aimed for other groups of people then Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers hate companies that are known for having a broad audience, like Disney, doing games that are not aimed for Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers thinks that make games aimed for children or women are "Fallen Studios" or "embarrassing"

Disney and Harmonix doing a music themed game that aims to a bigger audience then the Final Fantasy/Call of Duty/FIFA Male Gamer – and people are getting really upset.

Relax, this games was not aimed at you……so please look away without getting angry,

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
After watching that trailer, I'm curious why this has the Fantasia name at all.

No, seriously. A kinect dance game with modern music and a few classical pieces could easily be marketed on the strength of Harmonix's prior successes. The Fantasia "brand" has virtually no pull. So what is the point?

I'm half-wondering if Disney is gearing up to rebrand "Fantasia" as an imprint for some sort of pop music video series. Kinda like the Tinkerbell to Disney Fairies transition.

OMG I love Fantasita ;_;

Haters everywhere by the look of things. It's okay, maybe this will be a PSKinEyect game somewhere along the line.
If you love Fantasia, why the fuck would you love this?
Your post shows exactly why it should be Kinect based actually
Hey, if it was Mickey mouse doing spells, I totally would have bought this.

- NeoGAFers hate games that are aimed for other groups of people then Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers hate companies that are know for having a broad audience, like Disney, doing games that are not aimed for Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers thinks that make games aimed for children or women are "Fallen Studios" or "embarrassing"

Disney and Harmonix doing a music themed game that aims to a bigger audience then the Final Fantasy/Call of Duty/FIFA Male Gamer – and people are getting really upset.

Relax, this games was not aimed at you……so please look away without getting angry,
More complete and utter misunderstanding as to why people don't like this. Get off your soapbox, you're in the wrong house.

web01

Geez how the fuck how can they go from Rock Band and Dance Central to this?
Regression towards casual trash. It is not even an original game idea.

Daedardus

- NeoGAFers hate companies that are know for having a broad audience, like Disney, doing games that are not aimed for Male Gamers between 14-35

The game may be decent and all, it's just the Fantasia brand everyone is taking offense at. It has nothing at all to do with this game.

Stop spreading stuff you don't know about. It hasn't been said one way or the other, whether it's Microsoft Published, or their IP.

They said exclusives.

Phil Spencer, Don Mattrick, Major Nelson, Aaron Greenberg and others have all stated the 15 are all Microsoft Studios published.

It's you who doesn't know, I'm afraid.

Midas

They said exclusives. And they'd be stupid for not counting this as an exclusive. Because it is exclusive, and it is a big deal.

How is it a big deal?

quartet4

Neo Member
Trailer sucks but the article at Polygon makes the game sound more interesting. I really hope the game is as free-form as they say and let you come up with creative remixes on your own. But then you have to wonder what the game objectives are.

Hopefully they'll get some classical music in there too since it's got the Fantasia name on it. I realize they can't sell a game with trailer text like "featuring hits by Modest Mussorgsky...Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky," but come on, Fantasia needs orchestral music too.

Top Bottom