• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Announced (Disney/Harmonix, 360/XBO, Kinect, 2014)

I just watched Fantasia with my son a few days ago. It was classical music, masterpieces by Beethoven, Tchaikovski or Stravinsky. So what is this shit?

So this is the summery of the reactions:

- NeoGAFers hate games that are aimed for other groups of people then Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers hate companies that are known for having a broad audience, like Disney, doing games that are not aimed for Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers thinks that make games aimed for children or women are "Fallen Studios" or "embarrassing"

Disney and Harmonix doing a music themed game that aims to a bigger audience then the Final Fantasy/Call of Duty/FIFA Male Gamer – and people are getting really upset.

Relax, this games was not aimed at you……so please look away without getting angry,

Fantasia is Bruno Mars now.

Daedardus

Phil Spencer, Don Mattrick, Major Nelson, Aaron Greenberg and others have all stated they are all Microsoft Studios published.

It's you who doesn't know, I'm afraid.

Reggie fils-aime even said things like 'many games are to come'. Look at the Wii U now.

It has no resemblance or link to Fantasia outside it being a music game. Rock Band, Dance Central, and Harmo Knight are as much Fantasia games as this is.

Oh.. I JUST SAW THE TRAILER.

Mess.

I'M UNHAPPY.

iEGByhgZdgYvM.gif

lantus

This game is going to be huge just because of the names and buzz words attached to it. I hate you Harmonix.

I think it's abundantly clear at this point that I'm probably never going to get to play another Harmonix game from here on out.

That's really kind of sad when I think about it. I loved Amplitude and Rock Band, but their current direction is one I just cannot and will not follow. Sorry guys, my Boston pride only extends so far. :(

It has no resemblance or link to Fantasia outside it being a music game. Rock Band, Dance Central, and Harmo Knight are as much Fantasia games as this is.

They're about playing along and following music, not having creative input. I would much prefer Fantasia style music though, that is what is missing for me.

whyman

No, no, no please no. Can we just stop it with the kinect games. Im a gamer, i dont like to jump around in my room!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think asking a game titled Fantasia to in some way embody the ethos and the music of actual Fantasia is all that much of a stretch, myself.

Really? Which Fantasia? There is two you know.

*facepalm* Nevermind.

Trailer IS ass though. Game will probably be fun for families though. Not every game ever to come out ever needs to be for the hardcores people.

Leks

One of the worst trailers of this year, without a doubt.

I think Fantasia is not one of the 15 exclusives but will certainly be at Microsoft Conference. Brace yourself.

daebo

So this is the summery of the reactions:

- NeoGAFers hate games that are aimed for other groups of people then Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers hate companies that are known for having a broad audience, like Disney, doing games that are not aimed for Male Gamers between 14-35

- NeoGAFers thinks that make games aimed for children or women are "Fallen Studios" or "embarrassing"

Disney and Harmonix doing a music themed game that aims to a bigger audience then the Final Fantasy/Call of Duty/FIFA Male Gamer – and people are getting really upset.

Relax, this games was not aimed at you……so please look away without getting angry,

came to post this. pretty much nails it.

Is this a Microsoft IP? No? No.

I think he meant one of Microsoft's 15 new exclusive games of which 8 are meant to be new IPs. This fits the bill

Personally I am disappointed that they use the names of Disney and Fantasia and yet it has nothing to do with that at all.

The idea of controlling everything with gestures is actually kinda cool to me and so is the Fantasia theme. So it's impressive they managed to ruin it by turning into a mess of pop music / whatever you'd call this mix of music.

tumblr_lojx3bHXL01qhafj6.gif

What. The. Fuck. This isn't Fantasia! That trailer was horrible and the game is going to be filled with current day pop songs. I expected Disney music and a multi platform release. I should have known this would release only on Xbox. Damn, Harmonix.

Famassu

5 steps to maximum disappointment:

1) New Harmonix game announcemenet -> uuh, me gettin' excited
2) Fantasia: Music Evolved -> uuuh, me getting super-excited
3) Kinect only -> slightly less excited, but hey, Dance Central, you know
4) "Interactive musical journey" -> interest-drop entering free fall territory
5) Soundtrack includes such awesomeness as Bruno Mars and what sounds like dubstep-shit -> interest splashed into ground at 900km/h

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Why even slap Fantasia on for the stupid name?

Geez, so I was right, this is just Dance Central, except without all the dancing and a lot of hand waving.

jmood88

I don't get what fantasia has to do with anything in the game after watching the trailer but are people really that upset?

Okay, DJ Hero and Daigasso Band Brothers are also Fantasia games then.

But fantasia is not about DJ'ing, it's more about orchestrating. Which is why the music seems like a bizarre fit; not the gameplay. I don't know why they didn't create a new franchise called "Music Evolved" featuring these pop songs, and then a Fantasia spin-off featuring relevant music.

The idea of controlling everything with gestures is actually kinda cool to me and so is the Fantasia theme. So it's impressive they managed to ruin it by turning into a mess of pop music / whatever you'd call this mix of music.

Exactly. This would have been soooooo good with the original Fantasia music or even new music by the same composer.

How is it a big deal?

It's Fantasia man! Even if it's disappointing to GAF (and me) it's still a big deal, this property extends outside of games. It's quite a coup for Harmonix to be working on it.

Phil Spencer, Don Mattrick, Major Nelson, Aaron Greenberg and others have all stated the 15 are all Microsoft Studios published.

It's you who doesn't know, I'm afraid.

I've not read an interview that says that anywhere. Exclusives are the only thing they've been clear on.

I think you're wrong, but the actual point to take from this is that it's not worded with any certainty anywhere. So neither of us can say for sure. And you were telling people it's definitely not.

daebo

Really? Which Fantasia? There is two you know.

*facepalm* Nevermind.

Trailer IS ass though. Game will probably be fun for families though. Not every game ever to come out ever needs to be for the hardcores people.

Bingo.

also, how many times has the 360 been bashed for being just a shooter box?

I still haven't seen the trailer/at work. But I'll take everybody's word that it is ass. But not every game has to be made for the hardcore.

This looks like they took PixelJunk 4AM added a lot of current and recognizable songs, and branded it Disney's Fantasia for exposure.

I just don't understand the Fantasia branding.

So far only five songs are confirmed: Avicii's "Levels", Bruno Mars' "Locked out of Heaven", Fun's "Some Nights", Kimbra's "Settle Down", and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Not exactly the type of music that brings back memories of possessed broomsticks and baby Pegasus'. When asked why the heavy slant on contemporary songs, Sussman asserts that, "People think about [Fantasia] as a classical music based film, but that's because classical was largely the contemporary music of the 1940s. Rock wouldn't be invented for another 10 years, and while there was other contemporary stuff like jazz, which did make into the film, it was largely what was contemporary of the time."

I think that's a nice way of saying there'll be no classical music here. Maybe a dubstep remix of Night on Bald Mountain if we're lucky.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's Fantasia man! Even if it's disappointing to GAF (and me) it's still a big deal, this property extends outside of games. It's quite a coup for Harmonix to be working on it.

I've not read an interview that says that anywhere. Exclusives are the only thing they've been clear on.

I think you're wrong, but the actual point to take from this is that it's not worded with any certainty anywhere. So neither of us can say for sure. And you were telling people it's definitely not.

zwd7OwD.png

f5hxKDw.png

came to post this. pretty much nails it.

What? People want a Fantasia game inspired by Disney's Fantasia to be, you know, Disney's Fantasia with Mickey Mouse and classical music and the timeless scenes from the film.

The so called "hate" is mainly coming from disappointment that all the inspiration seems to be is the conductor scene with trailing lights on your hands and some pop music.

I'll wait and see what else they show before making a judgement but it's a pretty poor trailer in my view.

qko

One of the worst trailers of this year, without a doubt.

I think Fantasia is not one of the 15 exclusives but will certainly be at Microsoft Conference. Brace yourself.

MS got pretty cozy with Harmonix after EA dumped Rock Band.

I'm leaning toward one if the 15.

daebo

What does it nail? People are more dissatisfied at the lumping in of the Fantasia brand than anything. Why not just call it Music Evolved or something?

Like I said before, I haven't seen the trailer yet.. just at work. But, I'm willing to bet, that there will be classical scenes/music in the game. They still are trying to target a younger audience? And classical music, for the most part is not going to entice the younger kids.

(to be fair, I'm not even sure who the audience for the game is - I just don't like the blanket anger at times on this board. This is a hardcore board, not every game is targeting us)

Top Bottom