• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

jay23

Mike Milligan is stealing every scene he's in I'm loving his character so far.

Also this episode had a lot of funny moments definitely going to rewatch a couple of times.

Bandit1

Man the scene at the Gerhardt house was intense, Lou not backing down. Same with the scene in the typewriter store. Dude was in Nam, he don't scare easy.

Peggy keeps digging them into a deeper hole, wrecking the car to get it fixed is very risky. Doesn't explain the hole in the windshield. And Plemons in the neck brace lol, keeps getting worse for him.

More talk about aliens. Hmm...

Daft_Cat

This season's not nearly as snowy. I noticed this in the first couple of episodes, and it was even more pronounced tonight. I take it that the region had a mild winter, but it almost looks like they shot near the beginning of spring. I wonder if it's just a coincidence, or if it was more of a deliberate choice. Visually, the world of Fargo has always been about that stark contrast between white and red... changing up the weather is actually a huge aesthetic shift.

Anyways, not necessarily a criticism. Loving the season so far -- you bet!

A little gem I picked up on from tonight's episode:

"Foo migrated into military slang, merged with "FU" of the FUBAR. The term foo fighter was used by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II to describe various UFOs or mysterious aerial phenomena."

A nice touch was Skip's tie sticking out of the ground. His little patriotic flags were upside down:

Upside down flags are a sign of a situation where people are in distress

Or a nation in distress.

Holy fuck you know a show is damn great when your heart is thumping at a scene regardless of the fact you know the main character (Lou) is gonna survive.

A nice touch was Skip's tie sticking out of the ground. His little patriotic flags were upside down:

Upside down flags are a sign of a situation where people are in distress

Or a nation in distress.

Yeah the theme of America's turmoil in all aspects, some yearning for perceived greatness seemed to be lost. Whether it's the Gerhardt's chest-thumping as their empire unravels or Skip and Rye's new grand shot (now dead in every sense of the word). The whole fake "Niceness", the irony of peace with honor.

However I think another interesting recurring theme that isn't maybe being mentioned a lot is the treatment and appearance of women in this America.

You got last episode with Dodd's ideas of women in charge with his struggle with Floyd, or worth of any woman really as seen with how he treats and thinks of his daughter. You have Skip's "Typewriters: Not just for women anymore" countered with Betsy basically upping ever male policeman with her theories. And of course Peggy, unknowingly one step ahead of an entire gang war, but settling with putting her Paladin through hilarious hell and stress.

Molly was the best character IMO last season, and this season is not wanting for interesting female characters either.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lou Solverson's got balls of steel. Badass scene.

Yeah, this episode definitely sold me on him. Back to back standoffs.

Super tense episode, you just know things are about to pop off at any moment. All the pieces are set and they're about to collide.

This season's not nearly as snowy. I noticed this in the first couple of episodes, and it was even more pronounced tonight. I take it that the region had a mild winter, but it almost looks like they shot near the beginning of spring. I wonder if it's just a coincidence, or if it was more of a deliberate choice. Visually, the world of Fargo has always been about that stark contrast between white and red... changing up the weather is actually a huge aesthetic shift.
It was a very dry/warm Winter and there wasn't enough snow around. There were a few articles about how they had to use fake snow and snow making equipment to get the coverage they wanted. Hawley also joked about fighting with Iñárritu, who was filming The Revenant with DiCaprio, over the snow because they were shooting at the same time in close locations.

- Warming Glow review

OzGvs6X.gif

Top Bottom