• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if that balloon was the UFO?

That's an interesting theory. I kept thinking he just saw the headlights of the car about to hit him and the drugs did the rest. But it makes way more sense that the headlights were reflecting off of the balloon. It would look very weird to a person high on drugs and in complete panic mode.

iuuk

Anyone else here who watched this on Netflix? I didn't hear the War of the Worlds ending scene, just the zoom out and lights followed by (a variation of) the Fargo theme song.
I wonder if it is a rights thing.

Bloodrage

Banned
Funny to see some extraterrestrial stuff this season since AHS also had aliens in the second season. I'll take it as a sign that this season will be better than season one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have to say, Ted Danson is an underappreciated actor. Of course he'll always be known for Cheers, but he did a great job on Damages and I'm loving him already in Fargo.

- Vox on last night's episode
- Vanity Fair: The Cast of Fargo Reacts to This Season’s Most Bonkers Plot (UFO discussion and theories)

S3mnfrR.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
Meth Damon is incredibly distracting. I keep thinking of the original whenever he shows up on-screen.

Other than that, brilliant show! Loving it! Hoping they maintain the pace and storytelling chops going into the season.

I feel like this season has the potential to be even better than the last one, but it's all going to depend on execution.

I really like Mike Milligan, odd amount of focus on him but he made it work.

Mike Milligan was sinister as fuck.

That scene with Hank. Really tense.

And Plemons' weight gain is kind of impressive. Jeez. Don't go Jonah Hill on me, Meth Damon

Also, I hadn't thought of it at the time, but the show really does present Ed as a victim all throughout this episode. He never asked for any of this but trouble came to him like a dark cloud of flies. You really feel bad for the poor guy. This isn't like Lester or Jerry or the Grocery King guy. He's just some poor schlub trying to protect his wife and praying that life goes back to normal.

Bandit1

Also, I hadn't thought of it at the time, but the show really does present Ed as a victim all throughout this episode. He never asked for any of this but trouble came to him like a dark cloud of flies. You really feel bad for the poor guy. This isn't like Lester or Jerry or the Grocery King guy. He's just some poor schlub trying to protect his wife and praying that life goes back to normal.

Yeah I feel sorry for him. His wife hits Culkin, doesn't tell him about it, then has to kill him in self defense, then gets talked into hiding all of it and cleaning up the mess and turning Culkin into mystery meat. And I don't get the feeling that things are going to get better for him.

Yeah I feel sorry for him. His wife hits Culkin, doesn't tell him about it, then has to kill him in self defense, then gets talked into hiding all of it and cleaning up the mess and turning Culkin into mystery meat. And I don't get the feeling that things are going to get better for him.

It'd be fitting if Ed winds up in California living under an assumed name and Peggy goes to jail to protect him.

R95Y1ui.png

I hope somewhere out there, Pizzaman is watching Fargo Season 2 and frantically writing notes for Season 3 of True Detective. Noah Hawley and Co. be killing it.

Hawley directed this episode, right? He did a good job if so.

JDSN

Banned
Im loving the second season of Fargo because it gave me Jeffrey Donovan's classic sardonic smile, the other bits are also pretty great.

Edit: Also, in my mind casting Brad Garett is to show Pizzolatto how to actually cast a tall comedian for a dramatic role.

Alpende

Mike Milligan is awesome, they way he talks is just great. The scene with him and Larsson on that wintery road was amazing. The tension was real and you felt the uneasiness of Larsson.

So good.

- Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight: Fargo's UFO POV analyzed (~7min video discussion of this week's episode)
This week on Polite Fight, our courteously argumentative TV analysis show, video producer Gus Spelman makes editor-in-chief John Teti defend his assertion that Peggy’s unnamed boss “comes off as more of a force than a human being” on this week’s Fargo. John won’t budge, but the two eventually find common ground after Gus demonstrates how the show uses point of view shots to align us with Peggy’s boss, even as we remain allied to Peggy herself.

Later, Gus and John agree to agree that they have no idea what’s going on with the show’s UFO shenanigans, or how they relate to a shiny balloon. Whether or not the truth is out there, Fargo seems intent on deepening the mystery for now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Oh definitely, he is the sympathetic one in the situation. He obviously loves her more than she loves him, and wants this big family while she is far more interested in getting away (from the town and with murder).

She's definitely the Lester-type. I think we're going to see some wild stuff from her down the line. Or what she convinces Ed to do.

Fantastic episode. I like how this season is so far taking situations and plot beats from the first season but refining them and maintaining an individual identity so it doesn't feel like a simple retread. It also feels much more confident in its ability to create tension and leverage its more "goofy" characters and humorous aspects for dramatic purposes as well.

Jesus, I was tensing the whole episode basically. The show is truly immaculate in composition, it's just beautiful to look at. The music has been spot on so far as well.

Really no complaints out of me so far. I haven't gone out of my way to watch new, good TV this year besides this and Rectify (Season 1 and 2, need to watch 3 still), so this is the best show so far this year for me. Going to go out of my way to go recommend this to my friends.

I do have one theory for a small plot point. The sort of glee Peggy takes in the coverup and her klepto-esque actions with the toilet paper make me think that maybe she ran over Rye on purpose. She might have been getting tired of her dull life, or something along those lines.

Her boss/friend might bring those actions out even more in the coming episodes.

Coolluck

Im loving the second season of Fargo because it gave me Jeffrey Donovan's classic sardonic smile, the other bits are also pretty great.

Edit: Also, in my mind casting Brad Garett is to show Pizzolatto how to actually cast a tall comedian for a dramatic role.

Do we all secretly love Burn Notice if only for the early seasons before it got dragged out and the Sam movie?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I just watched both episodes. Great stuff!! That UFO was waaaaaay out of left field. Love that kinda stuff. Also I didn't realize until reading a review that Patrck Wilson's character is Lou Solverson from season 1. Loving that connection especially since we're seeing Molly as a little girl as well.

My wife said Fat Damon half way through the the second episode and I knew instantly I'd see that shit up in the OT lol. So perfect.

- Tom & Lorenzo, best known for their Mad Men fashion analysis, take a look at Fargo this week in terms of costuming and set design

A sample:
Now, about those kitchen scenes…

s0LciT5.jpg

The Solverson kitchen is an explosion of earth tones and what was once called “harvest gold.” Underneath the slightly tacky bric-a-brac and aggressively middle class aesthetic is a feeling of warmth and connection. These characters all have an easiness and constant affection for each other.

OJmzusi.jpg

Contrast this with the Gerhardt kitchen scene, which is confrontational to an almost violent extent and awash in icy cold whites and blues. The bric-a-brac of the Solverson kitchen is nowhere to be seen, replaced by a sensible farmhouse aesthetic.

5KaCkUT.jpg

Betsy, Lou and Hank connect with each other through their costumes; Lou and Hank in their uniforms and Betsy and Lou in their matching browns. All three trade information about the case while Molly remains blissfully unaware of what they’re talking about and set apart from all of them in her blue bathrobe, which serves only to tie her lightly to her mother. Visually, all the adults are in perfect harmony with each other and with the surroundings.

qDuWDqu.jpg

There’s no sense of that harmony in the Gerhardt kitchen. Floyd is seen earlier in the kitchen counting huge piles of money and handing them off to a henchman with instructions. Her green and white sets her apart from the family in a lot of ways, but it also tends to reinforce that sense of money driving her actions. She’s sensible and stark in these scenes, going quietly up against the more bombastic and flashily dressed Dodd, and forcing your eye to her at all times.

nt8vFyA.jpg

And yet, despite the coldness and overt power play, she is literally framed by the most heart-warming trappings of hearth and home. The irony here is that she exerts her power over Dodd by forcing him to break bread with her. “I’m your mother and you will eat with me,” she intones, before shoving a loaf at him and watching him break a piece off. The Solverson kitchen, with its formica countertops, Mrs. Butterworth bottles and faux wood had more familial warmth than a farmhouse kitchen with a dozen loaves of fresh-baked bread. This is perfectly of a piece with another overriding theme throughout the story: that things are not what they appear to be on the surface. Women who look healthy are dying. Grandmothers who look powerless are actually the strongest in the room. A happily married young couple is actually deeply unhappy and overwhelmed with guilt and secrets. A simple farmhouse or a Waffle Hut can be a haven of crime and violence. “First Watergate and now this?” complains someone at the beauty parlor, perfectly illustrating what Jimmy Carter called the “malaise” that had gripped the country at this time. Nothing is true or honest or real anymore. Not fresh-baked bread or wooden cabinets, not family ties or healthy mommies or happy marriages. From stolen toilet paper to cancer, everything’s either a lie about to be told or a promise about to be broken in this world.
Much more via the link.

Are they going to do this every week? Please say yes! :O
Hopefully! They had effusive praise for the premiere, and it sounds like that set up the analysis this week. Would be great if they continued every episode, though I don't know if there's as much for them to chew on as there was with Mad Men.
OMG WE ARE GOING TO HAVE EYEGASMS WATCHING THIS SHOW. Our poor beautiful brains have been bereft of truly pleasure-center-stroking art direction since Mad Men left our lives, but we could’ve spend a full hour just wandering the paneling-clad living rooms, flickering fluorescent waffle houses, and avocado green kitchens of this world. It’s very easy to take late mid-Century styles and turn them into nothing but over-the-top parody, but every space looked believably lived-in or worked-in.

KodaRuss

Wife and I watched the second episode last night. So far I am completely pumped for the rest of the season. Love all of the characters and every scene is just great. Seems like there is no minute of the show that is thrown away and it is always trying to tell you something.

Mike Milligan will definitely be one to watch, really solid scenes for him so far.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I have to say, Ted Danson is an underappreciated actor. Of course he'll always be known for Cheers, but he did a great job on Damages and I'm loving him already in Fargo.

Danson's performance on Damages was pretty much the turning point in his career in my eyes. While I always found him likeable before that, I never thought he was a particularly skilled actor. However, I heard that he took a number of acting lessons for his role on Damages, and dear lord did it pay off. On a show with some truly memorable performances, Danson's may have been the best.

Loving him on Fargo so far. Quite happy that he
didn't bite the big one this week.

Saty

I hope somewhere out there, Pizzaman is watching Fargo Season 2 and frantically writing notes for Season 3 of True Detective. Noah Hawley and Co. be killing it.

Because having your story hinge on an unconnected person hitting the guy with a car and said person deciding the best course of action is to keep driving with this man on her hood and bringing his body home, is much better?
This 'seek thrilling, rules-ignoring' suggested characterization of Peggy is just a lame excuse. Yes, the next step of stealing TP out of your work place is to take the bodies of the people you ran down with your car home. There's ample of thrills with heading to the police or pulling the body to the ground and rushing back home.

Am i mis-remembering or did the Sheriffs fail to spot the breaking marks, glass shards and possibly even blood that this accident has resulted in and thus make them realize someone her was hit by a car? Their theory as i recall it is that the killer took a second car that isn't his own.

Because having your story hinge on an unconnected person hitting the guy with a car and said person deciding the best course of action is to keep driving with this man on her hood and bringing his body home, is much better?
This 'seek thrilling, rules-ignoring' suggested characterization of Peggy is just a lame excuse. Yes, the next step of stealing TP out of your work place is to take the bodies of the people you ran down with your car home. There's ample of thrills with heading to the police or pulling the body to the ground and rushing back home.

Am i mis-remembering or did the Sheriffs fail to spot the breaking marks, glass shards and possibly even blood that this accident has resulted in and thus make them realize someone her was hit by a car? Their theory as i recall it is that the killer took a second car that isn't his own.

They definitely noticed the brake marks, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions yet based off only that.

Fintan

Danson's performance on Damages was pretty much the turning point in his career in my eyes. While I always found him likeable before that, I never thought he was a particularly skilled actor. However, I heard that he took a number of acting lessons for his role on Damages, and dear lord did it pay off. On a show with some truly memorable performances, Danson's may have been the best.

Loving him on Fargo so far. Quite happy that he
didn't bite the big one this week.
I think he's always been a good actor. Even on Cheers he did some great dramatic acting, like in the Season 2 finale.

My wife and I are more intrigued over the meat grinding scene, which was excellent, but left a few questions

1. At first I was shocked that he was putting the limbs into the grinder bone and all. Initially I asked, "they remove the bones for like ground beef and turkey, right? There's not bone in there?" After thinking about it for 2 seconds, I figured that ground beef would have chips or crunchy parts if there was bone, so I ruled that out. Then I realized that if he were to remove the meat from the human body, he would still have the skeleton left to dispose of, so that doesn't really help him. I guess he did whole skull and all but they didn't show it

2. since he's just sticking entire limbs in, bone and all, why did he take the time to cut the fingers off? It let for an amazingly tense scene, and I think he was aiming for the wrist actually, but why not just jam the whole arm in?

I'm pretty sure I'm just reading too far into it

Top Bottom