• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

A few quotes from Episode 2:

“Isn’t that a minor miracle? The state of the world today, the level of conflict and misunderstanding—that two men could stand on a lonely road in winter and talk, calmly and rationally, while all around them, people were losing their mind?”

“Never trust anything came from the sea.”
“We came from the sea.”

Joe Bulo: No, I think we cut a deal with one of the sons.
Mike Milligan: The youngest maybe, Rye? The elders are.. well y'know a lobster's got a pincher claw and a crusher claw.
Joe Bulo: Which one's which?
Mike Milligan: Pardon?
Joe Bulo: Which son is which claw? You know what, forget it. I don't want anything to do with your fakakta metaphor.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Loving this series so far. However I have to say Mike's dialogue to Ted Danson felt really contrived in a way that didn't work. I much preferred him in the car and typewriter place earlier. The speech felt very 'written' for want of a better word.

Slacker

Because having your story hinge on an unconnected person hitting the guy with a car and said person deciding the best course of action is to keep driving with this man on her hood and bringing his body home, is much better?
This 'seek thrilling, rules-ignoring' suggested characterization of Peggy is just a lame excuse. Yes, the next step of stealing TP out of your work place is to take the bodies of the people you ran down with your car home. There's ample of thrills with heading to the police or pulling the body to the ground and rushing back home.

I don't think she's a "thrill seeker" so much that she's just crazy. And a very similar hit and run happened in real life so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Because having your story hinge on an unconnected person hitting the guy with a car and said person deciding the best course of action is to keep driving with this man on her hood and bringing his body home, is much better?

It's not as if that single aspect of the story encapsulates all the ways in which Noah Hawley appears to be crafting a much more involving, engaging, and interesting television show.

Or that said aspect is out-of-bounds considering the show's previous history. Or real life in general, honestly.

-griffy-

Banned
This 'seek thrilling, rules-ignoring' suggested characterization of Peggy is just a lame excuse. Yes, the next step of stealing TP out of your work place is to take the bodies of the people you ran down with your car home. There's ample of thrills with heading to the police or pulling the body to the ground and rushing back home.
I don't read Peggy as thrill-seeking or rules-ignoring. Not remotely. I read her as in denial. If she does something wrong, but ignores it, it will go away and everything will be fine. She seems to be the Lester Nygaard or Jerry Lundegaard of this season. The character who is stuck in a rut in life, which causes them to make a bad decision in a critical moment that sets off a chain of catastrophic events.

Grinchy

Banned
2. since he's just sticking entire limbs in, bone and all, why did he take the time to cut the fingers off? It let for an amazingly tense scene, and I think he was aiming for the wrist actually, but why not just jam the whole arm in?

Maybe he was going to destroy those separately so that there's no way that some little chunk of flesh contained a whole fingerprint? I have no idea but you have me thinking about it for sure.

Saty

I don't read Peggy as thrill-seeking or rules-ignoring. Not remotely. I read her as in denial. If she does something wrong, but ignores it, it will go away and everything will be fine. She seems to be the Lester Nygaard or Jerry Lundegaard of this season. The character who is stuck in a rut in life, which causes them to make a bad decision in a critical moment that sets off a chain of catastrophic events.
I was going on by what her friend said after finding the TP how Peggy doesn't follow rules or something in that nature. Also she seems to want to shake up her life and not sink in the mundane life of her husband with buying the shop and having kids. The LA picture she got in the mirror.
Anyhow, my issue was how quickly in the first episode they choose to complicate the plot by having this third party get involved and mess stuff up for the criminals and the police in this 'mistaken identity' type of thing.

I just can't reconcile what Peggy did after the accident, it's just clueless and stupid. And like Season 1 there seems to signs that the cops are still terrible and haven't detected all the evidence that screams a car crash of sorts.

-griffy-

Banned
Anyhow, my issue was how quickly in the first episode they choose to complicate the plot by having this third party get involved and mess stuff up for the criminals and the police in this 'mistaken identity' type of thing.

I kind of think Peggy driving off with Rye on the hood is actually the inciting incident of the plot more than Rye shooting up the diner.

Lunar FC

I just can't reconcile what Peggy did after the accident, it's just clueless and stupid. And like Season 1 there seems to signs that the cops are still terrible and haven't detected all the evidence that screams a car crash of sorts.

What makes the situation an obvious car crash?

Saty

What makes the situation an obvious car crash?
If i'm remembering right how the crash happened then: skid\brake marks indicating a sudden stop, glass shards on the road from the broken windshield and possibly other debris and probably also Rye's blood from the impact and from already bleeding and standing on that spot of the road before getting hit.

If i'm remembering right how the crash happened then: skid\brake marks indicating a sudden stop, glass shards on the road from the broken windshield and possibly other debris and probably also Rye's blood from the impact and from already bleeding and standing on that spot of the road before getting hit.

They specifically noticed both the skid marks and Rye's blood trail. They make a connection but don't want to jump to any conclusions yet. A few glass shards could easily be lost in the snow. That satisfy you?

Saty

They specifically noticed both the skid marks and Rye's blood trail. They make a connection but don't want to jump to any conclusions yet. A few glass shards could easily be lost in the snow. That satisfy you?

I believe their leading theory is that Rye had another person with him or that he left the scene with a second car that wasn't his.
I don't recall it snowing after the crash so the glass should be visible.

Let's see what happens next ep on this front. Missing those stuff certainly wouldn't be the most incompetent the law authorities have been in Fargo's brief history.

Grinchy

Banned
I was a little surprised that they only searched the crime scene at night. It's like the next day Lou's wife just accidentally finds the gun. Why wouldn't anyone have gone back to the scene to investigate when they could actually see?

This show makes me think that the local law enforcement is one guy and the state law enforcement is another. It's like there are no other officers who could help. No one found a gun at a crime scene where multiple people were murdered?

Dalek

I'm in awe of how great this is. In every aspect! There's one shot when Ted Danson is talking to those three guys and its framed by the branches in the trees-so great.

The scene in the butcher shop was intense.

Walpurgis

Banned
That scene with the sheriff and the Kansas guys was scary. I was so sure that he was going to murder the sheriff on the spot. I'm glad that he's alive (for now).

Also that scene in the butcher shop was really sad. You can tell that he doesn't have the stomach for any of this but he's in too deep and it has to be done. Lou walking in and almost seeing the finger and body nearly gave me a heart attack. I was expecting a repeat of Fargo season 1's premiere with the
cop in Lester's house
. God damn that was messed up.

I enjoyed the shoutouts to Winnipeg by the Gerhardt family. It's the first time that I've seen Winnipeg mentioned on TV in a non-pitiful way! Dod or whatever his name is needs to step aside though. I hope he doesn't try to kill his own mom.

Just got done with the first two episodes. Season 2 is going to be great.

That scene with the sheriff and the Kansas guys was scary. I was so sure that he was going to murder the sheriff on the spot. I'm glad that he's alive (for now).

Also that scene in the butcher shop was really sad. You can tell that he doesn't have the stomach for any of this but he's in too deep and it has to be done. Lou walking in and almost seeing the finger and body nearly gave me a heart attack. I was expecting a repeat of Fargo season 1's premiere with the
cop in Lester's house
. God damn that was messed up.

I enjoyed the shoutouts to Winnipeg by the Gerhardt family. It's the first time that I've seen Winnipeg mentioned on TV in a non-pitiful way! Dod or whatever his name is needs to step aside though. I hope he doesn't try to kill his own mom.
Yeah, however not many bad things can happen to him seeing he is still alive in season 1. Well, other than the obvious missing relative in season 1.

I was a little surprised that they only searched the crime scene at night. It's like the next day Lou's wife just accidentally finds the gun. Why wouldn't anyone have gone back to the scene to investigate when they could actually see?

This show makes me think that the local law enforcement is one guy and the state law enforcement is another. It's like there are no other officers who could help. No one found a gun at a crime scene where multiple people were murdered?
I think a consistent theme with Fargo, the movie and TV show, is that these characters are not used to the complexity of murder, it's not an every day thing in their world, and they have to learn how to deal with it. Whether is amateur police work, understanding motives and emotions.

LaneDS

So far I'm liking season 2 more than 1. Lester was just too much for me

I agree about Lester, but nothing is touching Lorne yet. The scene with the stopped car and a couple of people having a calm talk in the woods was a nice reminder of the kind of tension he brought to the series.

But man, this season is already incredible after just two episodes, to echo everyone else. Dumb as it sounds I feel lucky to get to watch it.

Speevy

Banned
Mike is hilarious. There's this sinister streak to his politeness. I like it because it fits right into the fake nice universe.

WriterGK

Loving it so far. This season and the first season really honour the movie Fargo in the sense that is really good quality with great script and acting.

I just finished Season One, and have the first two episodes of Season Two PVRed. I hope to watch them within the next twenty-four hours.

Season One was amazing. I thought it'd be good, but it was better than I'd even hoped.

New episode tonight:
The Myth of Sisyphus

The Gerhardts' search for Rye intensifies; Lou takes a trip to Fargo; Peggy overhears a new theory about the Waffle Hut shooter.
The episode will run 11 minutes past the hour tonight.

Just finished catching up. I got too tired earlier and stopped the second episode mid-way to have a nap. Stupid cold/bad sleeping.

I like Season Two so far. It's been good and has an interesting premise, interesting characters, etc. I do not like the aliens factor, though, and hoped that it was only the cocaine. But they ended episode two talking about aliens.

Aliens are what this show doesn't need.

Season One is better so far, though.

Konka

Banned
Just finished catching up. I got too tired earlier and stopped the second episode mid-way to have a nap. Stupid cold/bad sleeping.

I like Season Two so far. It's been good and has an interesting premise, interesting characters, etc. I do not like the aliens factor, though, and hoped that it was only the cocaine. But they ended episode two talking about aliens.

Aliens are what this show doesn't need.

Season One is better so far, though.

The UFO in episode 1 can be attributed to drugs, stress, nighttime and that balloon.

Top Bottom